• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

shingi70

Banned
It's Batman and Lobo with a whole bunch of CW heroes.

JLA.01.cover_.Preview2.jpg

The movement is different in TF2. I never played the beta but I remember a lot of people saying you feel slower and I can see that. Or maybe the maps are much bigger than last time? I did unlock the Stim class so I'ma try it out but so far there's a lot of new mechanics in this game that I have to get used to. I knew the ins and outs of the first game and thought I could jump right in to this but there is a lot I gotta learn.

It's Batman and Lobo with a whole bunch of CW heroes.

JLA.01.cover_.Preview2.jpg

I was in for this book already, but didn't really expect the additional members. Especially Lobo.

It's a shame Harley lost the coin flip to Batman to be on justice league of America.

I wonder if this half stems from the current arc of Batman a bit. Seen as working well with a diverse group and reforming Clayface makes it make more sense.

MG310

I look forward to him talking too much shit and having his manhood frozen/snapped off by Killer Frost.

He'll get better.

From the IGN interview:
Whereas Batman and Black Canary are two of the most renowned heroes from DC’s pantheon, Lobo is a loud-mouthed, cursing, cigar-smoking, motorcycle-riding, alien bounty hunter, so him joining the team comes out of left field.

“For some people, Lobo will be a hero. For others, he'll be an anti-hero. It's moving past these black and white definitions and realizing that you have to have a malleable idea to serve everyone instead of just the people in the mainstream. Lobo, I think there's more to him than ever before,” said series writer Steve Orlando in a phone interview.

You’ll notice that Lobo has been reverted back closer to his original character design rather than the New 52's thin, clean-shaven version deemed “Twlight Lobo” by fans.
“I like to think that we're giving people the Lobo that made him famous and as time goes on hopefully we can get into how we got there a little bit more,” Orlando teased.

The reversion extends to Lobo’s personality, too.

“He's the Lobo we all love, causing mayhem. He'll be giving people what they want but at the same time he does have a code. The main man's word is his bond, man. I think that's important. That's one of the things that guides him through life. We find out a little bit what's behind this character. Not to soften him, but to give him more depth because he's still the hard partying, bullshit calling, bullshit calling especially, it's what I love about him, but if anyone is there to remind them that they're taking themselves too seriously to remind people that they're hypocrites, it's him,” Orlando said. “I mean, he's on a team with Batman, he's not going to exploding people's brains all over the place, but that's not to say that that's not going to cause conflict and he's not going to want to.”
Batman is already a member of the Justice League proper, and Orlando confirms he’ll be pulling double duty with membership on both teams.

Batman’s inspiration for joining the team will come from a pivotal scene he shares with Killer Frost during Justice League vs. Suicide Squad (Rebirth's first big event, out on December 21), according to Orlando.

“Without giving too much away, I would say that the inspiration of this scene, perhaps paradoxically, comes from the events that happen between Batman and Frost, to show him that the world changed and heroism has to change with it. It's a reality check for him. Batman is someone who thinks that he always has everything under his thumb and under control but he has a moment where he realizes he has to rebuild, he has to change, he has to redefine heroism. The callout is that he's not the only one. There's maybe people that he can help do it, and even more importantly, there's people he can surround himself that can help him do that for himself,” Orlando said.

Orlando emphasized to us that Black Canary earns her spot on the team not only for being one of the best hand-to-hand fighters in the DC Universe, alongside Batman, but for how she provides a different perspective from being on the ground with Green Arrow fighting for social justice and understanding what hope and justice mean for different people.

“She doesn't lord above people with a mask. She's in Seattle, she's seen by people, she talks to people, she listens to people. She's there, as Batman says, to keep him honest, to keep him in line. He knows what he wants to do, but it's a bit out of his comfort zone. Honestly, she's there because of the immense amount of respect he has for her and what she does,” Orlando said.

The team’s initial roster is set, but it’s long been the tradition of superhero team books to have a constantly-changing roster, and because Orlando is also writing Supergirl’s solo series, we asked if she might find her way to the team one day.

“Eventually, sure. I love Kara. She is 16, so her peers might be found in a team like the Teen Titans before the Justice League. But at the same time, I always love a character that rises to the occasion, like when Wally West first joined the JLA class. There's always a spot for her on the team because of the unique point of view she brings in the DC universe. What team she's on will depend on whenever the chance arises. I'd love to bring those books together,” Orlando said.

Orlando explained the difference between the Justice League (whose ongoing series is written by Bryan Hitch with art by Tony S. Daniel) and the Justice League of America.

“They also have completely different points of view. I think that's important. Bryan and Tony are doing amazing work in the biggest mainstream comic you can find. We are still doing things that are insane and exciting but I think that just by virtue of who's on the team, the points of view and the lanes they will travel in will be different. The places the Justice League of America go will be different because they're tuned in to the different communities. They're tuned into people that have never thought that they would see a superhero before, that they never thought they'd be thought of or heard by them,” Orlando said. “And besides the fact that they have a different face and a different roster, there's an emotional quality that I think is different. This is about reinvention. It's about rebuilding and it's about putting heroism out in this world that matches the needs of the world today. And we're going to do that on every page as much as we possibly can.”

Finally, Orlando teased that the new JLA book will pick up on mysteries set up in DC Universe: Rebirth #1 and he wants it to be a centerpiece of the DC Universe going forward.

“The other thing that I'm excited to do is to meet these teams and unwrap the mystery of Rebirth and other events coming up, to really have JLA be the book that the DC Universe rotates around. All these changes are happening in the book because I wanted it to be vital. I wanted it to matter. I want the DC Universe to orbit around the Justice League of America,” Orlando said.

Weiss

Banned
I was sorta lukewarm on JLA but dat Lobo.

So with the Ray presumably being gay like he is in that cartoon, is this the first queer member of the Justice League?

Kingpin is the same as the CWII book IIRC and then Ed Brisson on Bullseye IIRC.

Can't see a Daredevil line working out longterm.

Yea, I dunno either. I'd love if it worked, but part of me just thinks this would all be better as one book, judging by history. That said, you'd never get anywhere with those thoughts, so who knows. Surprised they aren't trying to add Cloonan's Punisher to this stuff, given the tv show connection.

Yeah the artist on the Kingpin ongoing is different from the mini. Ben Torres.

I actually don't know who that is though <.<

Edit: doesn't look like he's done a lot of stuff but I really like what I'm seeing for a Kingpin book.

It probably won't work but I'm excited they're trying these books. I wasn't too fond of the last volume of Elektra but they should definitely keep trying there. And CWII Kingpin is pretty much the best thing about this event.

I hate that they change the costume :(

Yeah I'm definitely not wild about that. We will see. They did that to Bullseye too...didn't last.

I think the problem with trying to make a DD family of books right now is the state the main book is in. As much as I've been talking up recent issues, it still has major, fundamental problems, and it hasn't drawn anything close to the eyes or praise as any other significant DD run in the past two decades. That's an issue.

Dusknoir

I'm a little disappointment to see Batman in there but other then that it looks cool.

Edit: I didn't read it yet but the main villain of that last Elektra book, "Bloody Lips" sounds like it could have been a Jojo stand.
Edit 2: From what I hear from podcasts that Kingpin Civil War II tie sounds cool.

Even more confused now though. Did they announce Elektra in the 2.0 announcement wave? But not a team?

I don't know what the fuck is going on from that post mayne

Wag

41l8R9oxWML.jpg

41B4AcPPpRL.jpg

I have these two collecting dust. The cardboard boxes are a bit rough (dented, etc) but the cases and discs themselves are pretty much perfect.

Is it time to sell them?

Even more confused now though. Did they announce Elektra in the 2.0 announcement wave? But not a team?

Elektra is new news. Annnnd Marvel has this new strategy where they hype new announcements without telling us anything about the creative. Which is stupid but what can ya do

Wow did somebody kneecap gaf or is it just me

Edit: I don't like variants. That Wasp variant is AWESOME. That actually managed to make me a little more excited.

No, Elektra was just announced (without a team of course, why would anyone want to know that?). Bullseye and Kingpin were announced with creative teams months ago.

Top Bottom