• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of Heroes 2 |OT| The Motherland is Calling - [Western Front Armies out now]

IpKaiFung

Keep and eye on the news on this site http://www.coh2.org/ for all tournaments and events if you want to take part or you just want to catch the streams.

There's also going to be an announcement from the game director at EGX Rezzed this Friday about the future of the game.

Sibylus

Banned
Thanks for the link, I keep forgetting about coh2.org >->

And looks like that might be an expansion announcement in the wings? A winter '44 campaign on the western front could be a nice chance to return to some of the old faves.

Ooh, or a '42-43 North African-Italian campaign. Add Brits and Italians/Afrika Corps.

DarkFlow

Banned
do they ever plan on fixing the compatibility bug pop up on Windows 8.1? Shits annoying that it's still there almost a year later.

Sibylus

Banned
Stark contrast to the Blizzard approach to SC2: "We're scared to death of making big changes because job security!"

Sibylus

Banned
Hoping that the Americans don't get stiffed on armor this go around- pls can has Pershings and M36s? (or something more useful than M10s like the Hellcats)

IpKaiFung

The infantry combat feels better, more predictable at least than it was before the overhaul.

Some points about the infantry combat that weren't mentioned in the patch notes, the accuracy of units on the move was penalized even heavier than before, especially with bolt action rifles so it's not wise to be constantly moving. The only exception is the shock trooper squad with their PPSh 41s which have a 0.8 modifier on the move versus 0.5 and 0.4 on some of the other weapons.

On the graph of weapon profiles although units share the same weapon, such as combat engineers, conscripts and guards sharing the mosin nagant. The weapon is scaled up in performance for more expensive units so the mosin will perform better on guards than on conscripts, however combat engineers have a combat performance identical to a four man conscript squad.

zeroOman

I feel that Heavy machine gun are less powerful and easy to counter ... and yeah when u move ur unit u get killed faster....

but the German Tank has became more powerful which make it useless to producing su-85 or any other unit that why I am focusing on artillery which is cheap and more useful than tank xDD

Sibylus

Banned
are u talking about German infantry?
In general, but I've seen a lot of dumb Ostheer players do it on streams, yeah. Piospam, Grenspam, only to get wrecked by stuff like Halftracks and T70s. Almost like combined arms are good or something!

zeroOman

In general, but I've seen a lot of dumb Ostheer players do it on streams, yeah. Piospam, Grenspam, only to get wrecked by stuff like Halftracks and T70s. Almost like combined arms are good or something!

it can be hard to destroy T70s without heave gun... but even so u will take dmg just to destroy one of them.... even so wat i hate most is German tank they are so Fuking powerful it became hard to win the game

The latest patch is a total joke. I'm seeing 66%+ soviet players in automatch, and Sov is dominating. People generally like playing Wehr more (even in the alpha and beta versions), but the balance is currently so bad the Sovs have a significant lead in total player count for the first time in memory.

IpKaiFung

Digital Deluxe worth $27 or just regular COH2 for $13? I don't plan on any MP, just SP.

If you're just getting it for SP then standard is enough imo. If you like the Theater of War missions you can always buy them later down the road and the digital deluxe only comes with one of the mission packs.

The latest patch is a total joke. I'm seeing 66%+ soviet players in automatch, and Sov is dominating. People generally like playing Wehr more (even in the alpha and beta versions), but the balance is currently so bad the Sovs have a significant lead in total player count for the first time in memory.

which game mode? the latest update has only made the game much fairer and made combined arms more viable instead of grenspam with upgrades vs conscript blob. According to the latest metrics that Relic had for the last few patch days the ratio is 50/50 in terms of win for both factions.

also the ESL 2v2 weekend cup will be casted tonight on http://www.twitch.tv/SundayNightFights at 15:00 (3pm) New York time / 20:00 (8pm) London Time / 21:00 (9pm) Paris Time

which game mode? the latest update has only made the game much fairer and made combined arms more viable instead of grenspam with upgrades vs conscript blob. According to the latest metrics that Relic had for the last few patch days the ratio is 50/50 in terms of win for both factions.

2v2 w/ arranged partner. I'm on a -5 streak at the moment. "winning" only occurs if we can secure an overwhelming advantage prior to the inevitable ISU-152 which is like an elephant-lite in AT terms, while also being the best AI vehicle in the game. The first encounter with it usually involves losing an entire squad to the first shell it fires and then either losing all my stuff in a meat grinder or giving it a wide berth and ceding important sectors of the map to it while we try to hold out for Ele or build up an armored push to flank it with.

IpKaiFung

elefant is a good response to the ISU but I'd also recommend throwing in a PaK43 as well behind a shot blocker as you can build it at 8cps and is a useful stop gap deterrent until you have enough resources to call in your elefant.

Hold fire was also added to the elefant which makes it a lot easier to use now. no more random shots being fired at infantry.

It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't struggling to win early game most of the time now too. German AC seems even more hopeless as a sniper counter than ever now that they are more vulnerable to small arms fire of all types including MGs. Con AT grenades, guard rifles and MG are backing up snipers in almost every single game we play. I think lucky mortar shells are the only thing that occasionally have successes against them now.

Last night we were absolutely raging because we actually did have substantial early game success but then an IS2 hit the field, totally reversed the tide, then they followed it up with a 152 and it was GG even though I got an elefant out and almost managed to kill both of them with it. One shot wipe potential is just too much, even outside of other balance issues. Losing a vet, upgraded squad in one shell from something you didn't know was there is the opposite of fun, and Germ 4 man squads make them fall victim to it far more often.

IpKaiFung

It sounds like the soviet teams you are running into are using some really strong combined arms and you might be succumbing to sniper rage which happens to a lot of players. Use the german sniper to pick off the supporting units and remove the support which will force the snipers to either retreat or they will be left out to dry.

The heavy tanks come in at about the 19-20 minute mark and I'm surprised that you didn't have any thing out at that time to at least deter an IS-2.

Send me the replay and I'll take a look at it. Unfortunately the devil is in the details with this game and it's incredibly difficult to describe all the engagements that occur in a single match.

It sounds like the soviet teams you are running into are using some really strong combined arms and you might be succumbing to sniper rage which happens to a lot of players. Use the german sniper to pick off the supporting units and remove the support which will force the snipers to either retreat or they will be left out to dry.

The heavy tanks come in at about the 19-20 minute mark and I'm surprised that you didn't have any thing out at that time to at least deter an IS-2.

Send me the replay and I'll take a look at it. Unfortunately the devil is in the details with this game and it's incredibly difficult to describe all the engagements that occur in a single match.

We have experimented with snipers but it's tough to keep them alive with sov snipers - essentially the two-man sniper team makes them a hard counter to your sniper, and 6 man soviet squads make them much more resilient to sniper fire than your people are. It's a high risk counter for enemy snipers, imo. It was somewhat effective when Shocks were at 1cp but I don't know how viable it is now, at least at our skill level.

Don't have the replay, it was several games ago and I only occasionally save them. From memory it was an unusually intense early game and they didn't get any big heavy hitting vechs until the IS comes out. My partner got an ostwind because we were in danger of being overrun and I had a couple of AT guns, but shit happens. Your AT guns can't really be front line units, and the IS2 has quite good range. Once your squads start exploding its all downhill from there.

I know what you're saying about combined arms. They do have good combined arms play, and we have good unit combinations too. We're only in the 80 game range I think, but we're both 600+ hour vets from the first game. There are no obvious "oh duh use this one unit and everything falls into place" fixes - we weren't having major problems until this new patch hit. Then again, we're both working men now and don't have much time to practice new strats. We'll play 4-5 games a week maybe.

IpKaiFung

dont go for counter snipes, go for picking off the supporting troops. The reason being is that the aim time on snipers compared to CoH1 is exceptionally high. As long as you are aware of where the sniper is you can stay out of it's max range (50) and avoid getting sniped yourself. The german sniper also has a higher rate of fire to deal with the larger squads, you can also use your sniper as bait to lure out their snipers as well.

The IS2 has the same range as the Medium turreted tanks (40) and ATGs have (60) so you can keep them in the back and will stop soviet players being too aggressive with their armour. The AI performance of the tank got reduced a fair amount, also a panther is a great AT vehicle because it's very fast, has good penetration and has good range (50). It will have a tough time going head on vs the ISU152 and SU85 but if you can force off the supporting infantry you can get in for a flank.

Top Bottom