• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Compare Old/Wild West Games - Red Dead, GUN, Juarez, etc... (Sunset Riders?)

Raiden

Banned
I just finished Red Dead Redemption, holy fucking shit, what an ending, what an game. I think this is my Goty, well, im pretty sure of it.

SappYoda

3 Skulls of the Toltecs:

2mfdhqo.jpg

Wanted: A Wild Western Adventure (USA) / Fenimore Fillmore: The Westerner (EUR)

ipo0hd.jpg

Fenimore Fillmore's Revenge (USA) / The Westerner 2: Fenimore Fillmore's Revenge (EUR)

14alw9i.jpg

They are comic point & click games ala Monkey Island.

6tn3b6.jpg

Loved Sunset Riders on the Genni back in the day, but GUN is the only one of the current crop of old-West-themed games I've played - and that on the PSP! :lol Despite the obvious control adjustments due to only one analog, I really liked the game - in fact, it sold me on the PSP as an action game platform. The world was small, but it was well realized and atmospheric - I really got into it...

radjago

Who could forget the ultimate western exploration sim, The Oregon Trail.

O'Riley's Mine (C64) was fun in a Dig-Dug sort of way.

bard

Call of Juarez: Loved the storytelling, voice acting, and overall design. Pretty linear, which was disappointing like OP said, but the action was good and exploration was still a part of the game.

CoJ 2: Meh.

Outlaws: Excellent. Still holds up today, mostly because of the brilliant level design.

first Wild West game i played was Gunsmoke, the second Red Dead Redemption.

reminds me how videogames have progressed... just wow.

Gunsmoke had better music though :p

handofg0d said:
Ah you're right, that's what I get for doing a text search

astroturfing said:
first Wild West game i played was Gunsmoke, the second Red Dead Redemption.

reminds me how videogames have progressed... just wow.

Gunsmoke had better music though :p
Yeah it did :lol

RDR = the wrong way to do duels
CoJ:BoB = the right way to do duels

That's pretty much all I have to contribute to this thread that hasn't already been said (I.e. The CoJ games are awesome and well worth a playthrough).

The Lost Dutchman's Mine was actually pretty fun. I never got far in it back in the day, but it had loads of free-roaming and management to stay alive. You could go into town and buy rations and ammo, and then go into the wilderness to dig for gold, fight bandits and rattlesnakes, and eventually find clues to the mine of the title.

It also has a cool little bearded guy as the main character. Too many scarred Clint Eastwood badasses nowadays.

Max

I am not Max
Really enjoyed Gun on the PS2, played through it in anticipation for RDR. What was worse about the 360 version?

Max said:
Really enjoyed Gun on the PS2, played through it in anticipation for RDR. What was worse about the 360 version?

It wasn't worse, it was just a straight port of the other versions. No improvements were made.

Top Bottom