• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor vs Nate Diaz rematch targeted for UFC 200 main event

Status
Not open for further replies.
29906170001_4782804946001_4782799699001-vs.jpg

Well it looks like we are getting the rematch.

It appears as though UFC 200 is on the verge of getting its main event.

The UFC is close to finalizing a non-title welterweight rematch between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz for the July 9 card, MMAFighting.com has learned from multiple sources. If all goes as planned, the promotion is hoping to announce the fight shortly.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/3/1...vs-nate-diaz-rematch-in-the-works-for-ufc-200

The UFC is close to finalizing a non-title welterweight rematch between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz for the July 9 card, MMAFighting.com has learned from multiple sources. If all goes as planned, the promotion is hoping to announce the fight shortly.

The bolded is bizarre, if true.

Dazzler

This is ridiculous when Edgar and Aldo are both waiting

Take the belt off him if he's not going to defend it. And I say this as a Conor fan

see5harp

Unless Conor significantly improves his ground game, I'm afraid the result is the same.

Even saying this is misleading. Dude lost to strikes standing up after he blew his wad. If it hadn't ended on the ground, McGregor would have been knocked the fuck out.

He will get beat again and two losses in a row will seriously diminish his draw.

Well McGregor obviously believes he can win the rematch. Not saying its smart but thats what he thinks. And he has all the bargaining power.

The main reason we aren't seeing Aldo or Edgar is I believe Conor can't make the weight class anymore

Well McGregor obviously believes he can win the rematch. Not saying its smart but thats what he thinks. And he has all the bargaining power.

The main reason we aren't seeing Aldo or Edgar is I believe Conor can't make the weight class anymore

If he can't get to 145 he better beat some lightweights or he is going to be a distant memory in a year

If he can't get to 145 he better beat some lightweights or he is going to be a distant memory in a year

All he needs to do is win a couple. Losses dont really mean a whole lot in MMA because they are so common. Chuck, Randy, GSP, Brock, Anderson, BJ Penn, Chael Sonnen pretty much every major draw has had multiple losses and still sell or sold well through their entire career. I mean look at Nate and Nick Diaz. They both have multiple multiple losses in a row through their careers and they are still huge draws.

No doubt McGregor has to win some but if he loses a few it likely wont affect his buy rate all that much

Unless Conor significantly improves his ground game, I'm afraid the result is the same.

His ground game had nothing to do with him getting beat. He lost on the feet.

I was hoping for a rematch at 145 if Nate could make that cut. He earned a shot at Conor's title IMO.

There's no way he can though.

They should at least fight at 155. They have time now, there's no point in fighting as fake welterweights.

This fight makes no sense.

There are two possible outcomes:

1) McGregor loses again to Nate, except this time he's had a full camp, so the beatdown is fame-smashing.

2) McGregor wins and no one but McGregor and Dana White give a shit because neither of them are title holders at 170 or 155.

This is a fucking dumb rematch that nobody asked for. Defend your belt against my boy Frankie. Crazy that a champ has no interest in fighting in the weight class where he holds the title. Vacate already.

Also it seems super lame that the main event at UFC 200 isn't even a title fight.

I agree that he needs to defend the featherweight title. Either Aldo or Edgar are fine.

animus82

Banned
To be honest I rather see either Conner or Nate fight someone else.

Like Conner Fight Dos Anjos like he was suppose to and Nate fight some dude at like 160+

One thing is for sure. Nate Diaz is one happy dude right now.

Frankie is injured btw. Torn groin. Its possible he couldn't make UFC 200.

what a stupid decision. i really like mcgregor but he should be defending his belt instead of this shit. oh well more money for nate now. and another entertaining round of media coming up.

i hope he gets some more stockton slaps

Wait...what.

A rematch? Were people seriously looking for this? It was a goddamn novelty match, Aldo is gonna be pissed. Can you imagine if McGregor loses twice to this guy? He'd be fucking finished.

What does he even gain out of this fight anyway. He lost his winning streak already, is he really that butthurt over losing to Diaz? Any payday he gets from a rematch from Diaz he could just as easily get with a title match.

His ground game had nothing to do with him getting beat. He lost on the feet.

There's no way he can though.

They should at least fight at 155. They have time now, there's no point in fighting as fake welterweights.

Agreed! I didn't think it would be a cut Nate would want to do but even as a BIG Conor fan I really feel he needs to defend his belt before taking on another fight. I think this may backfire on the UFC.

Will CM Punk be in the audience?

Aww, the real question finally gets asked!

I guess I'm in the minority, but respect to conor for wanting revenge and putting his livelihood on the line for it. I can't wait to see this.

Because if he loses that's it man.

For everybody

That shit did 1.5 mil on like two week's notice, imagine that rematch with a full build

But that's the thing. No one wants to see the rematch. Conor fans don't want it and Nate fans would rather see him fight Dos Anjos at 155 for the belt. This fight will not do the numbers you're suggesting.

This fight makes no sense.

There are two possible outcomes:

1) McGregor loses again to Nate, except this time he's had a full camp, so the beatdown is fame-smashing.

2) McGregor wins and no one but McGregor and Dana White give a shit because neither of them are title holders at 170 or 155.

nah this makes perfect sense because the first one was a very popular fight on 2 weeks notice and McGreggor wants the revenge. As a casual UFC viewer i'm much more interested in this than a title defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom