• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor vs Nate Diaz rematch targeted for UFC 200 main event

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Beard

I guess I'm in the minority, but respect to conor for wanting revenge and putting his livelihood on the line for it. I can't wait to see this.

Because if he loses that's it man.

I agree. If anything this just shows how much heart Connor has. It's not a smart fight for him at all, but if he wins he'll go right back to golden boy status. I'll pay to see that rematch.

Wow Edgar's probably PISSED.

They offered 196 to both Aldo and Edgar, so it's not like Conor is ducking him. Both chose to decline.

I really don't think Aldo should fight in July. Conor is right when saying he needs to take 9 months or a year off after a knockout like that.

And as mentioned above maybe Edgar isn't in top physical condition either.

If neither of those 2 can fight, then it makes more sense not to defend the belt. There really isn't anyone else that's worth it at the moment in that division.

I would prefer the 155 fight with Dos Anjos though.

Ducking Frankie Edgar so bad.

He's really not though. I don't think he fears Frankie one bit.

nah this makes perfect sense because the first one was a very popular fight on 2 weeks notice and McGreggor wants the revenge. As a casual UFC viewer i'm much more interested in this than a title defense.

Most casual fans will love this. The last one was a good fight, they are names they know, there will be plenty of smack talk, etc. No one wants to see Aldo, he has traditionally been a terrible draw and they are likely saving Edgar for the MSG New York debut.

ApharmdX

Banned
What? Why? The first fight wasn't competitive. Connor came in, won the first round with a lot of headhunting power shots, didn't put Diaz away, came out and lost the second round handily. He got rocked, he got stopped, the end.

At the same time, I don't feel sorry for Frankie Edgar. This dude has been ruining UFC cards for something like a decade.

Real talk, if you think Conor vs Dos Anjos or Edgar was going to top Conor vs Diaz 2 buyrate wise, you're high on dust

You are 100% correct.

McGregor vs Diaz 1 outsold the Aldo vs McGregor fight by like 400k. And that was with only 2 weeks notice while the Aldo fight had a year of build up, was for a title, and had a world tour. Diaz vs McGregor 2 will be huge

Instro

Not surprised, this is his biggest draw now since he lost the first fight. Edgar and Also are no where near that kind of PPV draw.

Diaz/McGregor 2 may sell but it hurts the sport's legitimacy and reduces what should be rank-based matchmaking to silly WWE-style grudge matches. If they do it, it's a sellout move.

Wallach

This is a mistake for all parties involved.

Seems like a decent move for Diaz. I guess everyone will get paid plenty, but I don't see how this is actually good for anyone but Diaz. A non-title fight headlining UFC 200 is kind of silly.

I don't see how McGregor wins the rematch when Diaz actually gets a proper camp this time. More touch butt and ninja shit.

Diaz/McGregor 2 may sell but it hurts the sport's legitimacy and reduces what should be rank-based matchmaking to silly WWE-style grudge matches. If they do it, it's a sellout move.

If it's not a title fight what's the harm?

I know Conor should defend his title first, since he talked about doing that in interviews I wonder if the only 2 worthy fighters backed down. This would make a lot more sense then. Between the choice of not fighting since he doesn't have an opponent and taking a non title fight at another weight, I vote for the latter.

If either Aldo or Edgar is willing I agree he should defend the belt.

hbkdx12

Not trying to derail the thread but is/was there any word on Dana's feelings in regards to Holms dropping the belt to Tate? Wasn't that like his worst nightmare after Rousey lost and didn't want Holms to fight until a rematch could be booked with Rousey?

They offered 196 to both Aldo and Edgar, so it's not like Conor is ducking him. Both chose to decline.

Yeah, but Edgar was litteraly begging for that shit after Conor vs Nate though. Like, he was grilling Dana on live TV to give it to him in July lol. If he feels like he's going to be good to go by then, he's probably salty as fuck right now.

Maybe he won't be fully healed by July. Idk.

AaronB

I don't like immediate rematches unless there's an extremely good fight-related reason - a controversial decision, match ended due to foul, or something like that. It's basically disrespecting and writing off the featherweight division to allow McGregor to take another fight outside it without defending the belt. It's not like there's a shortage of contenders there either - Frankie is the most deserving challenger to be denied a shot in any division, and Aldo and Holloway are worthy as well.

For Nate, this makes sense as a money fight, although it does very little to get him a title shot.

mekes

I refuse to believe this until it is announced. I mean, it could be true but it just makes no sense on multiple levels. I honestly thought Nate had a great chance prior to the last fight, my only concern was the time he had to prepare. On it making no sense, 2 losses in a row would be pretty bad for Conor, but perhaps he really doesn't mind about that should it happen? Maybe he does just love fighting, win or lose, as long as he gets paid. But the UFC letting him keep a belt inactive would surprise me the most.

Is Conor terrified of making another weight cut? It almost seems like he is desperate to not make 145 again. I did have thoughts on whether he would immediately hang up the 145 belt had he beaten Dos Anjos. For the record, I think that's another fight Conor would lose. Imo its 145 or bust for him. Better make that weight. Better on salads.

Not trying to derail the thread but is/was there any word on Dana's feelings in regards to Holms dropping the belt to Tate? Wasn't that like his worst nightmare after Rousey lost and didn't want Holms to fight until a rematch could be booked with Rousey?

Tate/Rousey 3 is mad bank too, especially if Rousey wins and goes to Holm/Rousey 2

Tate/Holm 2 would be just fine as well.

Yaari

doesn't seem big enough for UFC 200

and I know it just did a great buyrate, but still

What would you consider a bigger fight?

And yeah I don't like the idea too much either. Guess he doesn't want to cut weight again. It's pretty obvious at this point.

OnPoint

How is it a mistake for Nate, he's about the get paid

Seems like a decent move for Diaz. I guess everyone will get paid plenty, but I don't see how this is actually good for anyone but Diaz. A non-title fight headlining UFC 200 is kind of silly.

I don't see how McGregor wins the rematch when Diaz actually gets a proper camp this time. More touch butt and ninja shit.

Alright, you guys have a point. Mistake for everyone but Nate.

I would say that Nate deserves a title shot and he does but I dont think he cares too much about a title shot and rather just whatever fights are going to be big and bring in the most money. If this is the biggest fight he can get in that regard then I think he completely deserves it. Its going to be an exciting fight for sure.

FStop7

Banned
Unless this is Conor's last UFC fight I don't see how this is a good move for him.

It'll be great for Nate Diaz.

Fox318

why can't the last fight be on its own?

Coner moved up and fought somebody he hadn't trained to fight and that person had 10 days notice..

If Coner had won I wouldn't have said Nate was shit he fought with no camp.

Dr.Acula

Banned
At 170? Fucking suicide. Their last match was basically at the weight they'd fight at if they were cutting to 155, but without the cut. If they fight at 170, Conor can only get so big. Nate and Conor were within a pound when they fought, Nate's gonna have 10 pounds on Conor in the ring if they weigh in at 170.

zsswimmer

Nate will tune him up again unless he makes leaps and bounds of improvement. Lol at people aaying Conor would win the 1st fight so easy and thought it was over just cause Nate had a bloody face

Dr.Acula

Banned
The rematch I really want to see is Ronda/Holm. Tate put to rest the week-long myth that grapplers can't handle strikers, so let's see if Ronda can swallow her pride, admit she's not a striker, and put in real work.

gatormatt

Dana let's Conor do whatever the fuck he wants now. Money talks, and that's what this fight is about. I'd like to see how Nate does against Conor this time with a full training camp. If Nate could make the weight cut I'd like to see this fight for Conor's belt.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Now that Connor got beat he can make a better game plan, be at a slightly better weight, become stronger and possibly win. If he does win that would be amazing and set up for a part 3 most likely.

kiguel182

Isn't Aldo waiting for a rematch? Why not do that instead? The last fight was a downer after that much hype so it would be great to see them give it another shot.

Isn't Aldo waiting for a rematch? Why not do that instead? The last fight was a downer after that much hype so it would be great to see them give it another shot.

Because Aldo is totally shit at promoting, delayed the last fight a whole bunch of times, and got knocked the fuck out

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Also cant wait for the trash talking, this will erupt like a volcano. Nate will tease Connor about losing and Connor will throw some F bombs and say he took nate to easy last time and now he will come fully prepared. This will be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom