• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor vs Nate Diaz rematch targeted for UFC 200 main event

Status
Not open for further replies.
what.png
Is Conor ever going to defend his fucking title?

Did you seriously just use a Bill Cosby emoticon?

Back in topic, Nate is going to beat him again this fight is not good for McGregor.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Now that Connor got beat he can make a better game plan, be at a slightly better weight, become stronger and possibly win. If he does win that would be amazing and set up for a part 3 most likely.

Lame part 3. I'd rather MacDonald/Lawler 3 or (if required) Jones/DC 3. Conor doesn't need a non-title trilogy with an inconsistent gate-keeper. He's the fucking biggest star in the world and he should be fighting at 145/155. A trilogy of two dudes fighting out of weight isn't compelling to me.

Tesseract

Banned
Now that Connor got beat he can make a better game plan, be at a slightly better weight, become stronger and possibly win. If he does win that would be amazing and set up for a part 3 most likely.

how, his bjj isnt anywhere near nate's

nor his cardio, his chin, so on

a fully camped nate diaz will rekt conor

Fights at 170# so Conor can claim he went up two weight classes to fight Nate when he loses again. If it was at 155# it would sink him even more.

If it's not a title fight what's the harm?

I know Conor should defend his title first, since he talked about doing that in interviews I wonder if the only 2 worthy fighters backed down. This would make a lot more sense then. Between the choice of not fighting since he doesn't have an opponent and taking a non title fight at another weight, I vote for the latter.

If either Aldo or Edgar is willing I agree he should defend the belt.

There is a chance that Edgar is still hurt. If that's the case, this fight makes a little more sense. Aldo isn't that deserving of a title shot that the UFC should force Conor to fight him next. If Edgar could be healthy in time for a UFC#200 title fight and they're not giving it to him so that Conor can try (in vein) to restore his popularity, that's bullshit.

Holy shit. This is awesome.

Conor has balls. He has easier options.

Who cares about the belts he has to defend? Lets just see the best fights. There are not written rules, its all about the best fights, the ones people want to see.

Conor against another boxer is boxoffice gold. That's always going to be the best matchup. Would rather see this rematch than any other fight for Conor. First fight was freaking awesome.

The Beard

Holy shit. This is awesome.

Conor has balls. He has easier options.

Who cares about the belts he has to defend? Lets just see the best fights. There are not written rules, its all about the best fights, the ones people want to see.

Conor against another boxer is boxoffice gold. That's always going to be the best matchup. Would rather see this rematch than any other fight for Conor. First fight was freaking awesome.

I'm definitely going to watch, but this isn't the best possible fight. I'd much rather see a title fight against Frankie Edgar.

I'm definitely going to watch, but this isn't the best possible fight. I'd much rather see a title fight against Frankie Edgar.

That wouldn't be nearly as fun though. Frankie would be clinical. I don't think he would stand and try to outbox Conor like Nate.

It's a mistake for Conor to agree to this fight at welter, but it's still going to be awesome. I can't imagine, Conor wanted it at ww.

Good. I'm confident Conor will win, but you never know.

Eh I notoriously picked wrong in the 1st fight and thought it would be an easy win for McGregor. Obviously was off on that one so who cares about my prediction but I do think Conor can win the rematch. He won the 1st round, gassed out, and got outclassed in the 2nd completely. I still think its possible for McGregor to beat Nate though.

Still will be fun to watch either way

YaGaMi

Dude needs to defend his belt or move up 155 rather than potentially getting his ass handed to him again at 170 to journey man Nathan Diaz.

I understood why the first fight was at 170 due to the short notice for Nate, but why is the FW champ fighting a LW contender at 170 again in the rematch? Shouldn't the fight be at 155?

-MD-

Because the belts don't matter and Diaz/Conor 1 was the biggest PPV in UFC history.

You misunderstood his question.

I understood why the first fight was at 170 due to the short notice for Nate, but why is the FW champ fighting a LW contender at 170 again in the rematch? Shouldn't the fight be at 155?

Having the fight at 155 is the only way it makes sense, the only reason the first fight was at 170 was because Nate had 10 days notice.

You misunderstood his question.

Having the fight at 155 is the only way it makes sense, the only reason the first fight was at 170 was because Nate had 10 days notice.

Ah, I see. Yeah that's puzzling. Maybe Conor wants it at a higher class, or Diaz doesn't/can't cut? You'd think Diaz would prefer to try and get Diaz a little lighter, but at the end of the day I'm not sure the size advantage mattered for Nate. The only difference between having the fight at 155 or 170 seems to be whether or not 2 guys who don't seem to have a problem cutting will have to cut.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Ah, I see. Yeah that's puzzling. Maybe Conor wants it at a higher class, or Diaz doesn't/can't cut? You'd think Diaz would prefer to try and get Diaz a little lighter, but at the end of the day I'm not sure the size advantage mattered for Nate. The only difference between having the fight at 155 or 170 seems to be whether or not 2 guys who don't seem to have a problem cutting will have to cut.

Most of Diaz' fights are at 155. He only fought at 170 four times (one of which was technically catchweight because his opponent was 7 pounds over) and has been back at 155 for his last 8 fights (missing weight two fights before by 5 pounds, but making weight for his last one).

Most of Diaz' fights are at 155. He only fought at 170 four times (one of which was technically catchweight because his opponent was 7 pounds over) and has been back at 155 for his last 8 fights (missing weight two fights before by 5 pounds, but making weight for his last one).

Yeah but it's basically the difference for both guys between walk around weight or cutting weight. Whether it's at 170 or 155 (or a CW inbetween) i'm not sure it matters.

jugo

Neo Member
What a joke. Hopefully Conor doesn't become a panic wrestler again and Nate can brag about finishing him standing and on the ground.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Eh I notoriously picked wrong in the 1st fight and thought it would be an easy win for McGregor. Obviously was off on that one so who cares about my prediction but I do think Conor can win the rematch. He won the 1st round, gassed out, and got outclassed in the 2nd completely. I still think its possible for McGregor to beat Nate though.

Still will be fun to watch either way

Picked wrong? You said Conor could beat any of the Stockton guys easily, lol.

Camwi

But that's the thing. No one wants to see the rematch. Conor fans don't want it and Nate fans would rather see him fight Dos Anjos at 155 for the belt. This fight will not do the numbers you're suggesting.

Diaz got completely tooled by Dos Anjos, and Dos Anjos has only gotten better, so I don't know why his fans would want to see that rematch.

Conor fans would probably like some redemption, which is possible. He just needs to fight smarter and expect the long fight, rather than expecting the KO.

Yeah but it's basically the difference for both guys between walk around weight or cutting weight. Whether it's at 170 or 155 (or a CW inbetween) i'm not sure it matters.

I think it absolutely matters a huge amount.

Nate has 4 inches on Conor. He has the size to be a full fledged WW, and can also cut to LW. Kinda like how Conor can cut to FW and would also make a full fledged LW.

Nate is not giving much up by going to WW, while Conor is leaving more on the table by going to that weight.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It's at WW so the UFC can keep spinning the story about going up two weight classes if he losses again.

Fitts

I don't mind this rematch, but....

-Shouldn't be the main event. Throw a title fight on the card as the main and make this the co-main.

-Neither Conor nor Nate should be fighting at 170. They're both best suited for 155. Just make the damn fight at 155.

-Conor needs to vacate the 145 strap. Let Frankie/Aldo fight over it. It would be good business for the UFC anyway since they could spin it as Conor "cleaned out the division" and is leaving the lower weight class behind to "test himself." When he eats losses, they could always go back to the narrative that he never lost the belt and that he has "the heart of a champion."*

*I like Conor. Not aiming snark at him personally.

oneils

nah this makes perfect sense because the first one was a very popular fight on 2 weeks notice and McGreggor wants the revenge. As a casual UFC viewer i'm much more interested in this than a title defense.

Same here. It was a great event and I don't mind seeing it again.

nilbog21

Banned
Man, their last fight was fucking insane I probably watched it 10 times it was surreal

Can't wait for a rematch. No other fight I would rather see right now

Full camp isn't gona change shit.

Messi

I don't mind this rematch, but....

-Shouldn't be the main event. Throw a title fight on the card as the main and make this the co-main.

-Neither Conor nor Nate should be fighting at 170. They're both best suited for 155. Just make the damn fight at 155.

-Conor needs to vacate the 145 strap. Let Frankie/Aldo fight over it. It would be good business for the UFC anyway since they could spin it as Conor "cleaned out the division" and is leaving the lower weight class behind to "test himself." When he eats losses, they could always go back to the narrative that he never lost the belt and that he has "the heart of a champion."*

*I like Conor. Not aiming snark at him personally.

Good luck not having McGregor as the main event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom