• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservative Tony Abbott now PM of Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

THING THE FIRST: "Liberals" in Australian political parlance are the right-wing conservative party. THING THE SECOND: In Australia you vote for the party in your state and local district, not for the leader of the nation. THING THE THIRD: This post is biased as fuck and I make no apologies.

gd6d6baf9.jpg

In an expected but still disappointing move Australia has voted the Liberal Party into power, meaning that the supremely camera-awkward suppository of all wisdom Tony Abbott will be the 28th Prime Minister of Australia.

The swing towards the Libs was not as devastating as thought for Labor, although still pretty savage in places (especially Tasmania). Nonetheless, Labor Leader and now ex-PM (again) Kevin Rudd has conceded defeat and stepped aside from the leadership, despite delivering a speech that looked as though he'd actually won the whole bloody thing.

408311-kevin-rudd.jpg

The last three years of relatively solid economic stewardship under a Labor government have been marred by horrific optics as the entire party continually played a bloody game of stab-and-replace the PM, backtracked on election promises due to immediate political concerns, fought amongst themselves, got involved in corruption scandals, tried to outdo the Libs at being total jackasses but failed at even that, stabbed the new PM they brought in and replaced her with the old PM, and in general put their pants on their fucking heads and set themselves on fire.

The Libs meanwhile largely sat back and let Labor self-destruct, hid multiple policies until the eleventh hour and completely backtracked on one of them (the internet filter), hid its costings until two days before the election (although, frankly, every opposition does it and is more or less forced to do it due to some bullshit admin thing), somehow managed to convince the electorate that the economy is much, much worse than it actually is and generally speaking promised 'change' without actually specifying really what that change was and whether it was good or bad. They will most likely take this election as a mandate to do whatever the fuck they want.

They will be somewhat delayed by the Senate, Australia's upper house of parliament, which retains the power to block legislation it doesn't like. At present a minority of independents and Greens hold the balance of power in the Senate and both parties have to court them in order to get anything done. However, this election, with only part of the vote counted in each State and Territory, it's looking as though the Liberal/National Coalition will have enough power to create a rubberstamp Senate that blindly does whatever the party tells them to. It's that or a bunch of independent crazy right-wing loons have taken the balance of power instead. We'll know in a few days if we're as fucked as all that.

In voting in the Liberals, Australian voters have elected a party that has:
  • Promised a far shittier National Broadband Network. Instead of fibre across the country, it's fibre to nodes and then copper to homes - unless you pay a fee - and even that's been delayed until 2017. Private telephone company Telstra will retain ownership of the existing copper network, which will be great for shareholders and fucking shit for people who would actually like to use the internet. Maybe a little internet filtering to boot, who knows.
  • Pandered to xenophobic anti-asylum-seeker rhetoric that casts asylum seekers as 'illegal immigrants' (despite not breaking any laws) and throws them in jail indefinitely pending appeal of their asylum claims. Despite Labor taking a substantially similar hardline tack on the matter, the Liberals have outdone them by promising to attempt to remove the rights of asylum seekers to appeal to the courts, substantially removing funding for asylum seeker legal aid, and attempting to impose a media blackout on even reporting on the arrival of boats in Australian waters (a media blackout on speaking to, interviewing or filming asylum seekers already in detention facilities is already in place). They also said they'd try and buy up all the Indonesian boats but everyone called that stupid so they've quietly let that slip out of the media for now.
  • Promised sweeping government cuts in a desperate attempt to get back to a budget surplus. Foreign aid? Gone. Indigenous legal services? Slashed. Family payments? Cut ( apart from a rather generous paid parental leave scheme actually). Education, research grants and child care? Cut, cut, cut. Money's not safe; public sector jobs aren't safe. About the only thing they're really big on is roads.
  • Said there will be no conscience vote on same-sex marriage. I can't actually find it on their sodding policy page but the gist of it is they've seen gay people trying to be legally recognised as being in committed relationship with their loved ones and they sure as fuck don't like it.
  • Committed to ending the carbon tax and replacing it with an emissions trading scheme. To be honest I have no real idea how this works out so I don't have a lot to say here.
  • Made Tony Abbott their leader. I mean, come on, Tony Abbott?

Relentless Liberal/Murdoch media attacks have withered away the public consciousness of these notable achievements of the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd government:
  • Largely protected Australia from the global economic recession somehow (although some will argue that the groundwork was laid for this by Liberal predecessor John Howard, and others will go further back to Labor musical-hero Keating)
  • Threw out controversial workplace relations laws Work Choices that significantly compromised union powers and recruitment abilities
  • Funded the shit out of education, childhood development, hospitals, renewable energy and welfare
  • Began implementing the National Broadband Network to bring fibre-level cable to Australia so we're not all stuck at sub<15mb p/s (or worse in rural areas)
  • Signed the Kyoto Protocol, attempted to get emissions trading schemes through parliament until a somewhat compromised Carbon tax stuck
  • Got Australia to the G20
  • Begun to close the gap between Indigenous Australians and formally apologised for stealing all their kids back in the 50s and 60s
  • Instituted a muzzled and shitty mining tax sabotaged by corporate interests
  • Instituted a National Disability Insurance Scheme similar to already-existing schemes for medical insurance
  • Instituted plain cigarette packaging
  • Managed to do it all while constantly knifing itself in the throat, throwing out entire cabinet portfolios, sabotaging their own national image for personal party politics and generally acting like a bunch of dingbats

Who's responsible? A confusing fog of micro-party preferencing deals, general collusion in an attempt to keep third parties and the Greens out of power, a heavily centralised Murdoch press hammering home anti-Labor news stories day after day after day, a perhaps semi-apathetic public and Labor's own incredibly self-destructive tendencies, largely. Sure, it's not the end of the world. But by god it fucking sucks.

TL;DR The local equivalent of the Republican Party and George Bush have taken government in Australia.

gd5402b37.jpg

PS If you're sad about all this like me listen to this little ditty. It's nice and quieting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Does he get the title: "Tony Abbott, Ruler of Australia?"

dsirpAk.jpg

seanoff

i don't expect him to last a year.

he is legit unhinged. will lose it at some point and be forced out of office.

he is the Liberal mark latham.

I wonder how long it'll take before I get called a cunt and a fuckwit in this thread then.

I'm keeping civil after being contacted by a moderator. You trying to start shit with a post like this probably isn't the best course of action.

Consider this my bail out post because I don't want to get dragged in to shit.

bonercop

2SQyoaj.jpg

lolz, australia. you were doing so well.

oh well, welcome to the club! expect widening inequality, worsening of public institutions and widespread shitting on minorities, woman, gays and the poor.

Darklord

Banned
i don't expect him to last a year.

he is legit unhinged. will lose it at some point and be forced out of office.

he is the Liberal mark latham.

Well look at how everyone loved Rudd when he first got in during 2007. Now take away half of that popularity and half of the tolerance the people have towards him. If he does start fucking up he'll be lucky to make it to the 3rd year and if he goes he'll be long gone.

3 years and it'll be back to Labor anyway. Just hope the Coalition don't fuck up the country too much while they are playing in the big boy room.

PirateKing

Well look at how everyone loved Rudd when he first got in during 2007. Now take away half of that popularity and half of the tolerance the people have towards him. If he does start fucking up he'll be lucky to make it to the 3rd year and if he goes he'll be long gone.

How many fuck ups do we need before people realise something isn't right?

Darklord

Banned
3 years and it'll be back to Labor anyway. Just hope the Coalition don't fuck up the country too much while they are playing in the big boy room.

I hope so. I hope Labor in that time stop acting like fucking fools, stop bickering and fighting, and find a leader. They lost not because people want Tony Abbott, it's because people had zero confidence in them after acting like children fighting over who gets what.

Ventron

2SQyoaj.jpg

oh well, welcome to the club! expect widening inequality, worsening of public institutions and widespread shitting on minorities, woman, gays and the poor.

Your tears are my bidet.

EDIT: How did CBOAT spell that?

3 more years!

I hope so. I hope Labor in that time stop acting like fucking fools, stop bickering and fighting, and find a leader. They lost not because people want Tony Abbott, it's because people had zero confidence in them after acting like children fighting over who gets what.

Should be a solid clean out, bleed some people into the group that have a strong enough head on their shoulders to avoid the flaccid PR campaign Labor waged this past term.

At least from here on out all the spotlight is on Abbott. You could also see Turnbull squirming next to him, it won't be long until Turnbull is rounding up the numbers to kick him out on his arse if he has his way.

Darklord

Banned

This annoys me. Labor had 6 years to give gays equality in marriage and point blank refused but Tony Abbott is the bad guy in this case? What about the unmarried atheist who refused it to please christian lobbies? Both parties have fucked up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As I've delineated before, I don't expect the switch to FTTN to actually happen. I think at worst, since NBN Co still hasn't quite figured out a standardised, relatively painless installation process for MDUs, apartment buildings and the like will receive "Fibre to the Basement" in lieu of a proper FTTH connection, but even this doesn't strike me as particularly likely since the copper runs, although short, will still be a weak link as speeds move beyond 100Mbps (something NBN Co is already planning).

Edit: Here's a copy-paste of what I said to a mate on Bookface a couple of days ago:
I don't see the switch to FTTN actually happening should the Libs win; there's far too much red tape littering the path to change the rollout and if they insist on travelling down it, then they'll run the very real risk of heading into the next election with nothing to show for their three years of NBN captaincy, which will give Labor a ton of ammo. Regardless of who wins, though, I just hope the future government will hold the prime contractors of the rollout accountable when they miss targets. Syntheo has fallen short of literally every target it's set since the WA rollout started more than two years ago now (we're still without a fully-operational FSAM) and all Conroy/Quigley did was insist that it was still on track because Syntheo claimed it would meet the revised targets (which, of course, it failed to do... each and every time). Work "commenced" in [my town] a year ago this month and was originally supposed to be finished by this November, but earlier in the year the Ready for Service date was pushed back to Q4 *next* year, and that date hasn't budged -- which implies to me that Syntheo hasn't actually done any work in the area yet (and believe me, I've been keeping an eye out for any signs of actual construction).

Darklord

Banned
Should be a solid clean out, bleed some people into the group that have a strong enough head on their shoulders to avoid the flaccid PR campaign Labor waged this past term.

At least from here on out all the spotlight is on Abbott. You could also see Turnbull squirming next to him, it won't be long until Turnbull is rounding up the numbers to kick him out on his arse if he has his way.

Honestly, I think Turnbull wanted Abbott out before the election but they had to look more stable than labor. While Labor torn them self apart here's Mr. Abbott, happy and in control. It's all a show.

Jintor

Your avatar is fitting haha.

On topic, why do people assume we only got two parties? I personally know people thought it was Liberal vs Label only. What is the logic behind this?

Influence of American-style presidential politics media coverage plus a lack of civic education most likely.

Your avatar is fitting haha.

On topic, why do people assume we only got two parties? I personally know people thought it was Liberal vs Label only. What is the logic behind this?

Because they've basically got enough control to ensure one or the other is the major player. They gang up on minor players if it looks like their hegemony is threatened. Labor did a preference deal with the LNP to put them ahead of the Greens in the House of Reps.

Our voting system means things aren't as dire as the US but it's still pretty much a two-party race, we just have a chance of someone else holding the balance of power.

Well you can't blame me for any swings in Tasmania, I put Labor above Liberal.

Both down somewhere at candidate #20 on the ballot though.

Salazar

Your tears are my bidet.

EDIT: How did CBOAT spell that?

Abbott said:
‘I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak’

Only a fucking muppet would think that this tit being elected is a good thing.

A maximum of 3 years. The minimum is odd, since there's various things that can trigger one, depending on how the Senate ends up Abbot may call a double dissolution within 8-12 months.

That sounds pretty short for a nationally elected official. Whats the max term a person can serve?

That sounds pretty short for a nationally elected official. Whats the max term a person can serve?

There isn't one. Both are a consequence of our system, our Prime Minister is the leader of the party who controls the Lower House , so the sitting term is defined by the term of office for a normal member, likewise there's no limit.

I don't even understand how this happened. Nobody on my Facebook newsfeed is happy about it. Nobody I've spoken to IRL.

Who are these idiots that voted Liberal? Where are they all hiding?

PirateKing

Honestly if voting is mandatory then I believe there needs to be educational classes for people arranged, mandatory attendance policy before the next election is in place. This way at least we can have people know, before being told by media who to vote for.

Darklord

Banned
I don't even understand how this happened. Nobody on my Facebook newsfeed is happy about it. Nobody I've spoken to IRL.

Everywhere. They just don't calling people vile scum for not voting the way they wanted and posting 9 million things on FB. Labor supporters this year have been nothing short of disgusting the way they've acted.

Jintor

The internet in general aligns extremely left-wing in comparison the majority of the populace, I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom