• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservative Tony Abbott now PM of Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't want to be an alien in Australia.

As long as you're a white alien and you didn't arrive by boat you should be fine. We pretty much ignore the much larger number of genuinely illegal immigrants who arrive by plane and then stay past their Visa date.

Ventron

Only a fucking muppet would think that this tit being elected is a good thing.

MqVREAk.jpg

This annoys me. Labor had 6 years to give gays equality in marriage and point blank refused but Tony Abbott is the bad guy in this case? What about the unmarried atheist who refused it to please christian lobbies? Both parties have fucked up.

This annoyed me too, but annoyed even more a gay friend of mine who had a relative in the Q&A audience. Only a few months ago Kevin Rudd held the same position as the pastor he got smart with, and he said to me how "full of shit" Kevin was.

And just to make me a hypocrite, I actually think gay marriage will be legalised under an Abbott Government. Cue the gasps and laughs, but I believe you can't stop an idea whose time has come.

Everywhere. They just don't calling people vile scum for not voting the way they wanted and posting 9 million things on FB. Labor supporters this year have been nothing short of disgusting the way they've acted.

For the first part of that, yeah they definitely do, you should check out some of the newspaper Letter's to the Editor in 2007 , around the time Howard lost. For the second, yeah they generally aren't found on the internet, especially on tech sites (you'll see lots of Right Libertarians but they aren't much of a force in Australian politics).

Darklord

Banned
And just to make me a hypocrite, I actually think gay marriage will be legalised under an Abbott Government. Cue the gasps and laughs, but I believe you can't stop an idea whose time has come.

I think it will too. It's becoming more and more popular(really the only thing a politician cares about) and his family has openly supported it. I don't think we'll see it this year but a strategy card to play later in his term. Around the time labor start pushing their changes for next election and all of a sudden he pulls that one from under them.

Edit: This was meant to be an edit on my other post, oops.

Jintor

I don't know... it's difficult to fully assess the hand of the Christian movement in Liberal party politics, since it's not as overt as in the US (although still fairly prevalent, see Rudd attempting to justify his position in line with Christian teachings), but I would suspect the possibility of Family First and other like parties taking power in the Senate alongside next-election preferencing deals with the various 'sanctity of marriage' parties that tend to funnel their votes to the Lib/Nats would put the kibosh on that. And Abbott has shown no signs of allowing a conscience vote on the issue

That said, if Turnbull was in power and he didn't give a fuck about winning the next election I could see it happening. Or maybe in the scenario Darklord places above, although I still think it would anger the various Christian party allies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well, here's to hoping the liberal party doesn't fuck things up too much.

Right?

As for who votes liberal? Conservative Christians probably. My whole family and extended family did it. Excluding me.

bonercop

This annoys me. Labor had 6 years to give gays equality in marriage and point blank refused but Tony Abbott is the bad guy in this case?

and, pray tell, why do you think they had to(or felt they had to) do that?
You do realize, that when the party/candidate in a political horse race that espouses more anti-gay rhetoric/policy wins, this shifts the debate further away from being in favor of marriage equality right? That's how politics work.

And on that note, you guys thinking voting Labor back in after 3 years will magically reverse the state of things back to what they were pre-Abbott are probably being terribly naive. That'll only happen If the Liberals fuck up majorly in the PR department, but if they don't, history tells us the Labor party will be more right-wing.

Zaptruder

Banned
3 years later: "Liberals have worked hard to undo the damage done by Labour's politics, and now we're finally starting to see a turn around. The next 3 years will be critical for actually seeing the changes we've implemented start to take positive effect. By making a fair go of trying to return Australia's budget to the black, we've done an effective job of cutting money to bludging middle income australians who think that they deserve economic security."

I don't know... it's difficult to fully assess the hand of the Christian movement in Liberal party politics, since it's not as overt as in the US (although still fairly prevalent, see Rudd attempting to justify his position in line with Christian teachings), but I would suspect the possibility of Family First and other like parties taking power in the Senate alongside next-election preferencing deals with the various 'sanctity of marriage' parties that tend to funnel their votes to the Lib/Nats would put the kibosh on that. And Abbott has shown no signs of allowing a conscience vote on the issue

That said, if Turnbull was in power and he didn't give a fuck about winning the next election I could see it happening. Or maybe in the scenario Darklord places above, although I still think it would anger the various Christian party allies.

Technically Abbot can pretty much screw over any of the minor parties to the right of him if he feels like it. What are they going to do about it: Preference Labor or the Greens ? (Palmer's just as bad from the perspective of these groups since he's actually fairly left socially).

It's the same way that Labor occasionally screws over the Greens, its not like they can direct their preferences to the LNP.

I just want to get this off my chest:

FUCK THE FUCKING MEDIA IN THIS COUNTRY YOU SPINELESS FEAR MONGERING CUNT NIBBLING HEMORRHOIDS.

PJV3

Abbot was on the BBC yesterday, there's something creepy about him. He was giving off Max Headroom vibes.

Salacious Crumb

uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh boats uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh taxes uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uncertainty uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh jobs.

now im pm

I don't think anyone actually likes Abbott. They just disliked him less.

No, people typically believed Abbott was a tosser but voted Liberal because they believed Labor was economically unsound.

Which is why many foreign academics are basically saying Abbott is going to laugh to the polls because he got away with a hugeass lie that somehow never got debunked.

Irminsul

Well, to make you Australians feel a bit less worse: You'll probably be accompanied by Norway and Germany getting and retaining their conservative governments, respectively.

Austria could be on that list as well. And that's all due this month.

jstripes

Banned
2SQyoaj.jpg

lolz, australia. you were doing so well.

oh well, welcome to the club! expect widening inequality, worsening of public institutions and widespread shitting on minorities, woman, gays and the poor.

Same kinda shit happens in Canada.

Conservatives shout fearful slogans about imaginary budget crises, and then shit everything up even worse once they get elected.

Shaneus

Everywhere. They just don't calling people vile scum for not voting the way they wanted and posting 9 million things on FB. Labor supporters this year have been nothing short of disgusting the way they've acted.
Hey, if anyone annoys you on Facebook, tell them "shit happens", just like Tony did to those soldiers who lost their mate overseas.

Abbot was on the BBC yesterday, there's something creepy about him. He was giving off Max Headroom vibes.
It was probably this video that gave you that idea. Comes off like a straight-up dysfunctional robot.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I too would not be surprised to see gay marriage passed, in a year or two, as an attempt by the Coalition to grab a chunk of easy voters share when the next election looms, or when Labor (or whoever) starts building a bit of party momentum. Optimistic thinking maybe, but I do believe marriage equality is a ball in motion that wont stop moving. It may take longer than we'd like, but it will happen.

Regardless, tragic outcome. I really don't think this election is a product of anything less than Labor's repulsive self destruction crippling any chance they had this election, and the Coalition's borderline blanket negativity/fearmongering campaign that was less about prioritising them and more about dismantling the opposition.

I'm far from the most politically savvy person around, but the silver lining to this result is hard to see, and the reasoning unconvincing. More or less every argument I've heard pro-Coalition support has been a recycling of their campaign rhetoric. "Change", "Labor/Greens Waste", "Boats", "National Debt", etc. No policies, no reasoning, and no argument why the Coalition will instil a progressive government that betters the education, health, freedoms, workforce, economy, and welfare of Australia citizens as a whole, instead a check-list of negative buzzwords and dribble of vague "Labor failures".

Optimism grants me three comfort blankets:

1) The senate will block the worst of the Coalition's policies, while retaining some of Labor's better policies that are already in motion, for majority of their term. Note: This may not happen, depending on how the senate ends up (which going by the op is not good).

2) Despite convincing the average Australian our country is in a financial crisis when we're as far removed as possible, the Coalition's economic reforms don't dig us into deep hole that not even a new party in power three years from now can salvage.

3) The Coalition's relatively weak priority gains clash with the opposition's major losses, the latter group of disillusioned voters eventually rallied together by a progressive, organised party that can provide decent competition (at least on a senate level) with the Coalition come next election.

Regardless, things wont change overnight. It's the long term I'm worried about, because laying foundations for the long term is what matters most. Based on the policies I know, the Coalition government is not one I envision as positive or progressive for Australian society, nor Australia's place on a global scale. And thus, unless proven otherwise, the sooner it gone, the better.

It breaks my heart to speak to Liberal voters who simply provide no excuse for their vote other than "change". It's the laziest, intellectually dishonest form of decision making, as well as the most reckless and short sighted. It's a fallacy. Nobody votes for "change". Change isn't a thing, it's a process. You vote to change recognised policies for other, preferable policies. To vote for change to policies you don't know, care to know, or understand is dangerous.

RedShift

Wait you guys are only stuck with him for 3 years? Man we have our bastards in for another 2 and we've had them since 2010...

Salacious Crumb

I too would not be surprised to see gay marriage passed, in a year or two, as an attempt by the Coalition to grab a chunk of easy voters share when the next election looms, or when Labor (or whoever) starts building a bit of party momentum. Optimistic thinking maybe, but I do believe marriage equality is a ball in motion that wont stop moving. It may take longer than we'd like, but it will happen.

Regardless, tragic outcome. I really don't think this election is a product of anything less than Labor's repulsive self destruction crippling any chance they had this election, and the Coalition's borderline blanket negativity/fearmongering campaign that was less about prioritising them and more about dismantling the opposition.

I'm far from the most politically savvy person around, but the silver lining to this result is hard to see, and the reasoning unconvincing. More or less every argument I've heard pro-Coalition support has been a recycling of their campaign rhetoric. "Change", "Labor/Greens Waste", "Boats", "National Debt", etc. No policies, no reasoning, and no argument why the Coalition will instil a progressive government that betters the education, health, freedoms, workforce, economy, and welfare of Australia citizens as a whole, instead a check-list of negative buzzwords and dribble of vague "Labor failures".

1) The senate will block the worst of the Coalition's policies, while retaining some of Labor's better policies that are already in motion, for majority of their term. Note: This may not happen, depending on how the senate ends up (which going by the op is not good).

2) Despite convincing the average Australian our country is in a financial crisis when we're as far removed as possible, the Coalition's economic reforms don't dig us into deep hole that not even a new party in power three years from now can salvage.

3) The Coalition's relatively weak priority gains clash with the opposition's major losses, the latter group of disillusioned voters eventually rallied together by a progressive, organised party that can provide decent competition (at least on a senate level) with the Coalition come next election.

Regardless, things wont change overnight. It's the long term I'm worried about, because laying foundations for the long term is what matters most. Based on the policies I know, the Coalition government is not one I envision as positive or progressive for Australian society, nor Australia's place on a global scale. And thus, unless proven otherwise, the sooner it gone, the better.

It breaks my heart to speak to Liberal voters who simply provide no excuse for their vote other than "change". It's the laziest, intellectually dishonest form of decision making, as well as the most reckless and short sighted. It's a fallacy. Nobody votes for "change". Change isn't a thing, it's a process. You vote to change recognised policies for other, preferable policies. To vote for change to policies you don't know, care to know, or understand is dangerous.

yeah but ruds a dick head mate, not getting the job done.

PirateKing

Our national anthem needs to be changed as well. Boats are stopped now remember?

''Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea:
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare,
In history's page let every stage
Advance Australia fair,
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair.

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross,
We'll toil with hearts and hands,
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands,
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share,

With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia fair.''

Ventron

I have no words. Only .gifs.

Let's hope the next three years go quickly.

VWr6I.gif

There were plenty of spending announcements, they were just small things like grants to Guide Dogs. But I get what you mean. Here's the thing...

After '93 and '96, you'll never again have an Opposition Leader willing to campaign on big ticket items. Instead, they'll do whatever they can to stop their opponent from making a scare campaign over any announcement. Because that's what works in this country, hence the phrase "oppositions don't win, governments lose".

That's why I was so disappointed that Chris Bowen held McMahon. That seat had the dirtiest campaign against Ray King, and I would hate for the lesson from that to be that false dirt files work and become more widespread.

I think it'll get better once incumbency gives the Coalition some spine. That spine gave us tax reform in 1998.

Shaneus

Saying you voted for "change" is easier than saying "the press told me so":
1229858_158316914371205_66192696_n-e1378130261161.jpg

GzrF1rQ.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
yeah but ruds a dick head mate, not getting the job done.

OH YEAH

There were plenty of spending announcements, they were just small things like grants to Guide Dogs. But I get what you mean. Here's the thing...

After '93 and '96, you'll never again have an Opposition Leader willing to campaign on big ticket items. Instead, they'll do whatever they can to stop their opponent from making a scare campaign over any announcement. Because that's what works in this country, hence the phrase "oppositions don't win, governments lose".

That's why I was so disappointed that Chris Bowen held McMahon. That seat had the dirtiest campaign against Ray King, and I would hate for the lesson from that to be that false dirt files work and become more widespread.

I think it'll get better once incumbency gives the Coalition some spine. That spine gave us tax reform in 1998.

The state of campaigning is another issue entirely, in my opinion, but you are right there. I loathe it. Our political climate is spineless, and it's a dangerous game of dominoes with a gullible, manipulated public.

But, you know, it's still the little (or big) things that instil disgust and fear with the Coalition. Our refugee policy and media fearmongering, under both Labor and Liberal, is appalling. It's a repulsive, shameful scar spread across this entire country that should be more frequently blasted by international sources. And I cannot endorse any party that makes it worse, which the Coalition seemingly intend to do (as did Labor).

Saying you voted for "change" is easier than saying "the press told me so":

Yeah :(.

I'm so confused.

Liberals got in ... but they are conservative?

Australian Liberal politics =/= American Liberal politics. Here the National Liberal Party mostly refers their economic policy in name. Socially they are far from liberal, and instead very conservative.

OH YEAH

The state of campaigning is another issue entirely, in my opinion, but you are right there. I loathe it. Our political climate is spineless, and it's a dangerous game of dominoes with a gullible, manipulated public.

But, you know, it's still the little (or big) things that instil disgust and fear with the Coalition. Our refugee policy and media fearmongering, under both Labor and Liberal, is appalling. It's a repulsive, shameful scar spread across this entire country that should be more frequently blasted by international sources. And I cannot endorse any party that makes it worse, which the Coalition seemingly intend to do (as did Labor).

Yeah :(.

I'm eagerly looking forward to how the Boat Policy goes over in the UN. We're pretty blatantly dancing all over our Human Rights agreements: we're refusing refuge to genuine refugees, we're denying legal aid, and we're going to be censoring the media to pretend the previous two never happened. It's the kind of trifecta of awful you expect out of some kind of fascist dystopia. Oh and for bonus points we're also cutting back on our foreign aid.

Shaneus

This is what frustrated me the most. But the majority of the Australian public didn't even seem to switch on their own data filter and work out that most of what both parties were saying (but particularly the Liberals) was nothing but boogeyman tactics. The boats are barely a spec of dust on the impact of our national budget (compared to the amount spent on marketing telling us that they are), our financial position compared to the rest of the world is better than almost the entire western world (but don't worry, Hockey will bring in that .0375% benefit (or whatever it was) over the Labor government who managed to fuck everything up) and the internet is totes overrated and we can definitely cut back on that shit because all people ever do with it is use it to satiate their desire to do evil, horrible things like distribute pictures of naked children to each other.

I'm glad the Libs are here to save us from ourselves now. Don't know how we would've coped otherwise with them gays marrying themselves and stuff. Ick.

EatChildren

I'm eagerly looking forward to how the Boat Policy goes over in the UN. We're pretty blatantly dancing all over our Human Rights agreements: we're refusing refuge to genuine refugees, we're denying legal aid, and we're going to be censoring the media to pretend the previous two never happened. It's the kind of trifecta of awful you expect out of some kind of fascist dystopia. Oh and for bonus points we're also cutting back on our foreign aid.

See, it's the bolded point that moves our possible refugee policy from disgusting and embarrassing to a pretty fucking scary infringement on the rights of a democratic society.

pulsemyne

Dear Australia

As a citizen of the UK I say this. What were you thinking? Haven't you see whats happened to us with our collection of conservative shit bags and spineless liberal tossers currently in power? Why did you elect a group of people that Rupert Murdoch supports? That should have been a red light from the start. We in UK made a big mistake and one would hope that other countries could look at ours and not make the same mistake. Sadly it seems you have voted into power a bigger spazmo than even we did (and that's saying something). Prepare yourselves for the horror show.
At least you only have to endure it for three years though.

Your friend

Pulsemyne

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Let's not pretend otherwise, the election of the Liberal party makes gay marriage more difficult to achieve.

Liberal voters (including ones who favour gay marriage) knew this when they cast their vote.

BowieZ

Banned
The opinion polls and biased news coverage caused this.

And Bill Shorten. But mainly a sociopathic anxiety over a few errors and low polling results for Rudd circa 2008-2009, that led Shorten and Gillard to ultimately completely shoot themselves in the foot with the revolving door leadership debacle.

Ultimately, I wish opinion polls and Rupert Mudochs were illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom