• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console gamers need to recalibrate their pricing expectations from here on out

bundylove

I make lots of money, the pro is a rip off. Most of my time spent thinking about video games is how to get them at little or no cost, and figuring out which ones are worth buying at full price.

You could buy a fancy fish easily, but you will do life changing things just to catch the fish yourself.
Well, for me time is money. My time is worth way more than a 100 bucks savings.
Not saying you shouldnt but if i have to spend hours researching pricing , i rather use that time to earn money and for sure i would make more then i would save.

Bit thats just business one on one

Is this the reason they are removing the disc drive for no reason except insane greed?
All their studies show digital is taking over (as it has with everything else). I'm pretty confident in saying its gonna be an optional add-on from here on out until it makes zero sense for them to do it anymore. Plus, why not squeeze an extra $80 out of physical collectors like myself? This system isn't for the budget minded consumer, its for the person who wants the best Playstation available. If you are budget minded, you'll buy the regular PS5 anyway. Not saying I'm happy with any of these decisions they've made but it makes complete business sense.

Also it's important to remember they aren't removing the disc drive. Don't forget the PS5 has 2 SKU's. Digital and one with an included disc drive. The ultimate goal is to get everyone tied up with digital games and be "stuck" in their ecosystem.

Last edited:

Fabieter

All their studies show digital is taking over (as it has with everything else). I'm pretty confident in saying its gonna be an optional add-on from here on out until it makes zero sense for them to do it anymore. Plus, why not squeeze an extra $80 out of physical collectors like myself? This system isn't for the budget minded consumer, its for the person who wants the best Playstation available. If you are budget minded, you'll buy the regular PS5 anyway. Not saying I'm happy with any of these decisions they've made but it makes complete business sense.

So its fine to nickel and dimme their most loyal fans 🤣
I keep saying this.

We pay the price for the future generaion for sure

Future generations won't buy consoles anymore. No worries about that 🤣

Well, for me time is money. My time is worth way more than a 100 bucks savings.
Not saying you shouldnt but if i have to spend hours researching pricing , i rather use that time to earn money and for sure i would make more then i would save.

Bit thats just business one on one

It’s business, but if you grew up in the age of mags and game swapping, the hobby here is ripping off Sony, MS, and Nintendo.

It’s always been that way. Spend a day to set up emulators just so, and never play a game. Trade a 64 with 1 game for a PS1 with 20. The actual systems and games are ice on the cake to a life of swindling.

People will leave the PS6 behind, even if those with cash hop in with both feet. That group is not enough.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
This is why the era of Cloud gaming will be great. Let big companies create super powered consoles and we can just stream off their infastructure from a flash stick or app on our smart tv.

bundylove

It’s business, but if you grew up in the age of mags and game swapping, the hobby here is ripping off Sony, MS, and Nintendo.

It’s always been that way. Spend a day to set up emulators just so, and never play a game. Trade a 64 with 1 game for a PS1 with 20. The actual systems and games are ice on the cake to a life of swindling.

People will leave the PS6 behind, even if those with cash hop in with both feet. That group is not enough.
Not sure i follow any of this.

Hrk69

Gold Member

Confused Donald Trump GIF

BlackTron

Here I was thinking the PS6 was going to be possibly $799 by the time it comes out and you're saying that it will be $499. There is no way that console will be $499 after the massive jump in price for the PS5pro. I'd be happy to be wrong but with inflation over time I just expect the console to automatically cost more than $499. The question for me is will the ps5pro even be at $499 by the time the ps6 comes out? Folks are going to expect all of those extra effects and frames to be the bare minimum for the ps6.

The thing is Sony isn't making PS5 Pro because they have to or else we will buy Xbox systems instead. They're doing it to get some serious extra margin, way more than base PS5. By the days of PS6, which is years from now, they won't make PS5 Pro anymore, and PS6 will have smaller margins than their old "top shelf" model.

PS5 didn't even upgrade the CPU. You think we can't get a better CPU and 3-4 years newer GPU for $200 less if Sony leaves 1TB of storage/$100 profit on the table?

I've never really cared how much a game or console or anything really costs if it is worth the value. The Pro being $700 doesn't matter imo if it is a $700 value item. To me the big question would be, is it?

You get the mostly upgraded specs including a 2TB hard drive with the rather large downside of it not having a disc drive. That is the real point of contention imo. If it had included a drive I don't think there'd be any question that it's worth an extra $200 over the base models. Without the drive it really depends on the individual if it's going to be worth the price. Assuming you can find a drive at retail price, you're paying $280+ over the price of the base model. Is it still worth it at that point? I imagine many people don't think so. Particularly when you can find a PS5 for $450 or so if you look around. At that point you're looking at nearly $350 extra to go with the Pro with drive over the cost of a base PS5 which becomes pretty absurd imo.

Last edited:

th4tguy

No I don’t think we do.
There IS an optimal price that companies can sell a video game console for and achieve high numbers.
There is a balance. If Sony can’t / won’t produce a console with hardware that allows for them to stay in that general sweet spot of a price range, they WILL struggle to hit the sale numbers they hope to achieve and without a large user base , their REAL revenue streams also diminish. Online subs and software sales. The margins on hardware sales are stupid low.

What consumers need to get used to, is hardware that sticks around much longer and generational leaps in graphics that are far less exciting.

Last edited:

Generic

It isn’t $700.

It’s missing:
  • a disc drive
  • a vertical stand (for which the console is clearly designed)
  • cloud storage
  • online play
Add those costs on top. In Canada, the console plus all these things costs a whopping $1349 after tax.

Note that the disc drive and vertical stand were included in the original $650 price. Note that PS+ used to be available for ~$36 a year and now it is $95.

ONE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED FORTY NINE DOLLARS
Original $650 price? When did this happen?

So its fine to nickel and dimme their most loyal fans 🤣
Yes. That is what fans are for. What else do you think it means to be a loyal fan? To "save money"? Fans across the planet for any franchise, medium or hobby, pay through the nose the more loyal they are. That is fact.

Xbox customers had the wrong idea and thought being a "fan" means being given free stuff without paying for things. Microsoft failed to reverse this trend and thus now they can't get their fans to pay up, leading to them being forced to seek money from other people.

Eh....I'm sure Sony would love to overcharge you for a 2 TB but I think they understand most are not going to buy that when they can upgrade it themselves cheaper.

Now that you mention it... replacing the Slim+Disk with a 2 TB model (and no disk) for the same price does sound like something Sony would do.

Last edited:

RyanEvans21

It's a mid-gen refresh. Sony want you to pay £700/$700 (for no disc drive and stand lol) that'll last ~4 years before it becomes obsolete and the next gen comes out. If it was the PS6 or a much MUCH bigger leap GPU/CPU wise then I reckon folk wouldn't be so up in arms about the 700 figure, But for what you are getting, its really not worth it imo.
It's not obsolete if developers still making games for it. Why its not worth it? if you using it for 4 years?

For 4 yrs you can save money for next gen console.

I'm fully prepared for this thread to piss a lot of people off, but it is what it is.

Gaming is one of the cheapest mainstream hobbies in existence. Virtually every major hobby out there is a larger monetary investment to the hobbyist compared to what the product cost to produce.

Whether it be:
  • Phones
  • Home Theater
  • Musical instruments
  • Figurines
  • Antiques
  • Jewelry
  • Fishing
  • Hunting
  • Cards
  • Art
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Boating
  • Cars
etc.. etc.. these are all way larger investments than gaming.

So when a PS5 Pro comes out at $700 and the gaming sphere acts like the world is on fire, it comes off as pretty whiny and entitled. The expected performance of the PS5 Pro will likely far outperform any PC anywhere near it's price range. It's undoubtedly a "good value" as far as what you're getting for your money is concerned. And if it's still too much for you? Great! Then just stick with your base model PS5 (which is also a fantastic value).

I'm saying this as someone that isn't buying a PS5 Pro and I'm not even particularly fond of Sony. It just feels like "gamers" need to be oUtRaGeD at literally freaking everything nowadays. Not every new game, accessory, or console has to be some perceived sign of catastrophe and the end of industry as we know it. It's like some of ya'll have a legitimate inability to just enjoy your damn hobby.

you are right but you cant contradict the costumer or tell them that, nobody wants to be told is doing something stupid specially people that are stupid, people will change their attitude as the economic difficulties at door are more obvious and in the case of video games when newer systems and games get more expensive than their predecessors, people ranting about something want to control the market, but if it doesn't resonate with the market they are singled out then they are more quiet and pretend nothing happened, hopefully they learn from it, the market is what decides not the complaining people, you have examples everywhere in the case if sony, recently the portal and the PC adapter for PSVR2, we have yet to see if PS5 Pro will be a success or not but that will be based in the level of acceptance and sony expectations for its sales

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Vote with your wallets. That is the only sane piece of advice I can give console warriors in this day and age.
I always do. I do not buy things I do not want or find value in. I do not know many people that do. The problem is, most people believe if they do not find value then everyone else should vote with their wallets the way that they want them too.

Gamerguy84

Looking around the internet today at systems like Asus rog ally, steamdeck, Nvidia subreddit, and the cost / value of those it's a no brainer for me.

I have a couple PS5 so I'll sell one, I don't even really need two. Plus I have and love the portal, and a large backlog so I hope they send me a preorder. I'm most excited for PSSR

Plus, why not squeeze an extra $80 out of physical collectors like myself? This system isn't for the budget minded consumer, its for the person who wants the best Playstation available.
That much is evident with how they've priced it, but it seems like there has been a shift in mindset at Sony/Playstation HQ. The PS4 Pro became the default $399 model last gen, and yes there's global economics and inflation etc etc blah blah nowadays, but in general I think Sony intended for that system to still be reasonably accessible to the layman. After dropping the base PS4 to $300, the average gamer could make a case that the $100 upsell to the Pro was worth it without completely blowing their budget.

This time around, little thought seems to be given to giving the 'average' person that same degree of reflection as to what's best. Jumping from $450-$500 to $700 is whole different pricing category. Not to forget an extra $110 for the disc drive and stand, and that's just in the U.S; the price conversions for Europe/UK/Canada and other regions are outright diabolical. It doesn't seem like Sony was too interested in whether or not the 'average' could decide to jump in on this, instead appealing to the diehards with the cash flow to match. Or else they probably would have targeted something like a $599 price point, which still isn't cheap and likely would have required them to drop 1tb of storage, but at least its still within striking distance of the current disc model PS5 and you're then leaving it to the individual player to ala carte the disc drive or pony up for extra storage. There doesn't, from the outside, seem to be a sense of 'let's get this out as cheaply as possible', rather there is an air of exclusivity that wasn't present with PS4-era Sony.

Last edited:

Fabieter

There is no morality involved in this... This is a corporations decision as a business to make money, YOU decide if you want to participate in any of this.

Is that so? Then why do we criticize loot boxes, microtransactions, always-online requirements, poor-quality GaaS games, and unfinished releases if we can simply choose not to engage with them?

Fabieter

That much is evident with how they've priced it, but it seems like there has been a shift in mindset at Sony/Playstation HQ. The PS4 Pro became the default $399 model last gen, and yes there's global economics and inflation etc etc blah blah nowadays, but in general I think Sony intended for that system to still be reasonably accessible to the layman. After dropping the base PS4 to $300, the average gamer could make a case that the $100 upsell to the Pro was worth it without completely blowing their budget.

This time around, little thought seems to be given to giving the 'average' person that same degree of reflection as to what's best. Jumping from $450-$500 to $700 is whole different pricing category. In fact when you consider that the original PS4 Slim launched at $399, it's a $300 increase from 2020. It doesn't seem like Sony was too interested in whether or not the 'average' could decide to jump in on this, instead appealing to the diehards with the cash flow to match. Or else they probably would have targeted something like a $599 price point, which still isn't cheap and likely would have required them to drop 1tb of storage, but at least its still within striking distance of the current disc model PS5 and you're then leaving it to the individual player to ala carte the disc drive or pony up for extra storage. There doesn't, from the outside, seem to be a sense of 'let's get this out as cheaply as possible', rather there is an air of exclusivity that wasn't present with PS4-era Sony.

Especially when you think about that the 2b is basically useless for most enthusiastic playstation players.

NahaNago

I think this generation will be very long and the PS6 will not be that much more powerful than PS5 Pro. But the PS6 will target a critical mass market and then the PS6 Pro will be very expensive.
How long is very long? We will soon be hitting 4 years with no price drop for the ps5 at $499. So will the ps5pro have a price drop to cheaper than $499 in 4 years since the ps6 will be more powerful than the ps5pro when it releases? It might be possible. I don't really understand the pricing of the hardware and if Sony can quickly reduce the price of the ps5pro. Maybe due to backlash they might reduce the price but that is iffy since this wasn't meant to target critical mass market. Will the PS6 Pro be $799 or $899?

PeteBull

Gold Member
There is no morality involved in this... This is a corporations decision as a business to make money, YOU decide if you want to participate in any of this.
Exactly, sony presents u with an offer of pr0 console at their designed specs/price and the games/exclusives, ur choice to bite or not into that.

PeteBull

Gold Member
How long is very long? We will soon be hitting 4 years with no price drop for the ps5 at $499. So will the ps5pro have a price drop to cheaper than $499 in 4 years since the ps6 will be more powerful than the ps5pro when it releases? It might be possible. I don't really understand the pricing of the hardware and if Sony can quickly reduce the price of the ps5pro. Maybe due to backlash they might reduce the price but that is iffy since this wasn't meant to target critical mass market. Will the PS6 Pro be $799 or $899?
We wont see ps6 till holidays 2028, by then with current inflation games could be 99$, and console itself 999$, hopefully im wrong but it would be stupid to not take conclusion from current trends =/

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Speaking for the PC... You have no chance of accessing any of the examples you mentioned for free, even illegally. The gaming industry has struggled with piracy for years, and just when people were finally convinced to pay for games, I don't think it's worth making the situation difficult again. Personally, I will continue to buy games legally or not play them at all. However, if they had told me when I was 16—at a time when I didn't have today's ethical values or financial means—that game prices would increase, I probably wouldn't have taken it well.

Everything here on out is gonna be backwards compatible anyway, they want to keep you in their ecosystem, so why do they care if you are on PS4 or PS5 or PS6 as long as you are pumping money into their walled garden?

Ecosystems are really important to business stability, it sees companies through the odd rough patch.

It’s why iPhone continues to be so successful despite all the new Chinese competitors

It’s probably one of the few reasons why anyone is sticking with Xbox now, I imagine at least half of Xbox Series owners became tied to that ecosystem during the 360 days.

NahaNago

We wont see ps6 till holidays 2028, by then with current inflation games could be 99$, and console itself 999$, hopefully im wrong but it would be stupid to not take conclusion from current trends =/
12 years from now I could see that possibly happening for the ps7. Maybe not the game price starting at 99. That would most likely be a deluxe edition.

Last edited:
I'm fully prepared for this thread to piss a lot of people off, but it is what it is.

Gaming is one of the cheapest mainstream hobbies in existence. Virtually every major hobby out there is a larger monetary investment to the hobbyist compared to what the product cost to produce.

Whether it be:
  • Phones
  • Home Theater
  • Musical instruments
  • Figurines
  • Antiques
  • Jewelry
  • Fishing
  • Hunting
  • Cards
  • Art
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • Boating
  • Cars
etc.. etc.. these are all way larger investments than gaming.

So when a PS5 Pro comes out at $700 and the gaming sphere acts like the world is on fire, it comes off as pretty whiny and entitled. The expected performance of the PS5 Pro will likely far outperform any PC anywhere near it's price range. It's undoubtedly a "good value" as far as what you're getting for your money is concerned. And if it's still too much for you? Great! Then just stick with your base model PS5 (which is also a fantastic value).

I'm saying this as someone that isn't buying a PS5 Pro and I'm not even particularly fond of Sony. It just feels like "gamers" need to be oUtRaGeD at literally freaking everything nowadays. Not every new game, accessory, or console has to be some perceived sign of catastrophe and the end of industry as we know it. It's like some of ya'll have a legitimate inability to just enjoy your damn hobby.

Alright, I'm going back to playing the Final Fantasy XVI demo. Good day!

OK JIM.

I don't know what cards you use to play or where you go fishing, but down here in the South Wales valleys, we use a pack of cards that cost less than £5 and where you buy a decent rod, bate and river license for less than the price of a full-price game *rollseyes*

I've seen some piss poor threads/posts trying to defend SONY insanity pricing of the 'shaper' PS5 Pro, but this one takes the biscuit

Last edited:
Especially when you think about that the 2b is basically useless for most enthusiastic playstation players.
I do think there is a degree of Sony setting new baselines for the next generation. Very clearly the PS6 will be nothing less than $600. And they're also telling you to expect $80 controllers. The $5 price bump for something they likely sell 2-3 ( minimum guess) per PS user surely moves enough volume to negate 'global economics/inflation', its taking the piss while telling you to expect this in 4 years when the next gen launches.

Someone earlier made a very succinct point and I 100% agree: these companies need to recalibrate their sales expectations if the future is going to be $700 consoles, $70 games( and you just know they're chumping at the bit to raise them again to $80), $80 controllers, $80- $160 annual PSN pricing. The future looks to be extracting as much as they can per user vs trying to grow the userbase, because they simply won't with the pricing creeping in nowadays. Like I can see Sony doing 110-120m this gen, but I wouldn't be shocked if the PS6 is a sub 100m console. Especially if it launches at $600-$700, doesn't drop price and then 3-4 years later a PS6 Pro drops for... what? $800? $900?? I'm not the 'console gaming is dying!' sort but it's gonna be VERY interesting watching this space over the next decade.

Last edited:
If memory serves the average age of gamers has been climbing. Kids are playing on their phones. People in their 30s and up have money (thank Europe for 36 hour workweek!).

The other reason is that millennials were the first generation to stick with gaming into adulthood.

Baby boomers didn’t, many got into mobile games when they got older. My dad never used to play games but now he’s retired he enjoys games like Solitaire on his iPad.

Cool anecdote, most of your generation “outgrew” gaming though.
Anecdote? There are plenty of mid 40s( like myself) gen Xers who grew up with gaming and still in the hobby, so regardless of older Xers 'aging' out, your assertion that Milleniels were the first gen to grow up with and game into adulthood is incorrect. If anything people in my age bracket who haven't quite 'aged out', as you put it, likely have more disposable income for gaming than Millennials, especially younger ones in their 30s.

Last edited:

NahaNago

The thing is Sony isn't making PS5 Pro because they have to or else we will buy Xbox systems instead. They're doing it to get some serious extra margin, way more than base PS5. By the days of PS6, which is years from now, they won't make PS5 Pro anymore, and PS6 will have smaller margins than their old "top shelf" model.

PS5 didn't even upgrade the CPU. You think we can't get a better CPU and 3-4 years newer GPU for $200 less if Sony leaves 1TB of storage/$100 profit on the table?
They will only have some extra serious profit from this thing if it sells enough for the next 4 years. Will it even crack a million sales this year. Plus we don't know how much profit they make on each console after the upgrade and after research development made for this console. I do think this pssr in the pro is simply them practicing for the real deal for the ps6.

I think in 4 years all the parts will cost even more for ps6, and Sony will break even on any console sold at the start of that gen. Maybe at the end of this gen Sony will have sold enough ps5pros to cover all of the losses they made from the last of us online, spiderman online, concord, and that steal from the rich online game that is coming out I think next year.

KINGMOKU

Price is determined by what the customers will bear, and by customers, I mean normal everyday people who wander by the shelf at their local big box store, wondering if little timmy needs a 700$ console, not us chuds, who argue over sales figures, and DLSS/PSSR.

CeeJay

Not sure about some of those examples in the op. I paid less than £100 for my secondhand acoustic guitar about 20 years ago and play it as much as any game. I will wait though and see how much next gen guitars cost once I can no longer run the current gen songs on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom