• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

Man is MK8 ugly as all hell! Every edge is aliased. Any game looks good in motion, heck the sub-720p CoD games on PS3 look good in motion. That's no excuse; ugly game is ugly.

It wasn't the worst game of all time, but damn is it the ugliest PS4 game I've played. All the geometry looks like it's made of painted cardboard, so lazy.
I22cEpd.jpg

UCAt0PU.jpg

RPiTx5y.jpg

jaggis doesnt make a game ugly.
The problem is that they ruin a lot of hard work that the artists made. They are distracitive and unimmersive.
I'm very glad they are being eradicated more and more this gen. A higher resolution means the jaggies will get smaller. But even at 1080p AA is required.
Maybe some people aren't bothered by them or don't even notice them. But they are the first thing that jump to my eye. Because they clearly don't belong in the visuals and they cause distracting shimmering in motion.

Don't get me wrong, i'll play mario kart 8 to pieces and i will have a lot of fun with the game. But jaggies DO ruin graphics imo.

Seik

Banned
The problem is that they ruin a lot of hard work that the artists made. They are distracitive and unimmersive.
I'm very glad they are being eradicated more and more this gen. A higher resolution means the jaggies will get smaller. But even at 1080p AA is required.
Maybe some people aren't bothered by them or don't even notice them. But they are the first thing that jump to my eye. Because they clearly don't belong in the visuals and they cause distracting shimmering in motion.

Don't get me wrong, i'll play mario kart 8 to pieces and i will have a lot of fun with the game. But jaggies DO ruin graphics imo.

I agree, a lot of Wii games proves you right by running them on Dolphin.

Think about Mario Galaxy 1-2 and Xenoblade Chronicles. It's just night and day.

I wouldn't say that it literally RUINS MK8's graphics, but yeah, the less jaggies the better.

trixx

The jaggies in Mario Kart is very noticeable. it's really going to be one of those games that looks great in motion, but good in still shot.

Can't wait to play it

Also has there been a good spider-man game since ultimate spider-man? They should make a new one

chadboban

Holy shit, MK8 looks nothing like the released screenshots.

That aliasing is goddamn horrendous and the texturework/AF is really below par.
Jeez. At least it's 60FPS. It's certainly not a looker, that's for sure.

Don't know what screenshots you've been looking at. ALL of the screenshots released by Nintendo had aliasing. Here's a few examples

I'm guessing that you've only ever seen video or probably GIFs of it, otherwise you would know this.

And like everyone else has said, this game is gorgeous in motion.

Timu

Isn't it the case that Post-AA doesn't capture in screenshots though?
I've noticed that some Wii U games look way more jaggy in screenshots, and thought this was the reason why.
It does, look at Super Mario 3D World, it manages to catch it and it's why it's one of the cleanest looking Wii U games. Mario Kart just doesn't have AA like quite a bit of Wii U games.

It looks amazing to me *shrug*.

Some people need to remember the tech difference between WiiU and PS4 lol. PS4's GPU is 10x as powerful aswell as having an extra 4GB's of much faster RAM and an extra 3 much faster CPU cores for games.

The lighting in MK8 much like most WiiU games is the most impressive thing about it as is the fact that it's running at 60fps.

chadboban

And like some of us said a lot of ugly games look beautiful in motion. I am quite sure modnation racers on the PS3 looked as good as this

I honestly don't think so, I feel like the lighting in MK8 is much better than Modnation. Add to the fact that MK8 is 60fps while Modnation is 30 and overall I think MK8 wins. Modnation does have customization going for it though.

Also I'm still trying to wrap my head around the bolded.

phanphare

Banned
And like some of us said a lot of ugly games look beautiful in motion. I am quite sure modnation racers on the PS3 looked as good as this

considering video games are a medium intended to be experienced in motion I think it would be the opposite of what you said. a beautiful game can look ugly in stills but that certainly doesn't make it an ugly game. or at least that's my mindset.

I honestly don't think so, I feel like the lighting in MK8 is much better than Modnation. Add to the fact that MK8 is 60fps while Modnation is 30 and overall I think MK8 wins. Modnation does have customization going for it though.

Also I'm still trying to wrap my head around the bolded.

Well the CoD games on PS3 look ugly in screenshots but they look much better in motion. I am quite sure as ugly as MK8 is, it looks good in motion.

Not really as SM3DW had anti-aliasing (post processing).

I could be wrong but didn't the level of anti-aliasing in that game vary from map to map?

It didn't, this is one of those things where you really ought to go back and play it or just look at some legit native resolution screenshots alongside the consideration that it's running at half the framerate, because it's one of those games that leaves a good impression in your mind visually but doesn't hold up to scrutiny next to something like MK8

Mario Kart 8 ain't even close to ugly, just because of some aliasing, and literally any video backs this up

chadboban

Well the CoD games on PS3 look ugly in screenshots but they look much better in motion. I am quite sure as ugly as MK8 is, it looks good in motion.

So you're basically saying that a game is only as good looking as it's screenshots show? Stuff like framerate or the way the lighting changes when the game is running doesn't matter then? I don't want to argue as this is the thread I'd like arguing to stay out of as much possible (by GAF standards at least), I'm just genuinely curious to hear your take on this.

So you're basically saying that a game is only as good looking as it's screenshots show? Stuff like framerate or the way the lighting changes when the game is running doesn't matter then? I don't want to argue as this is the thread I'd like arguing to stay out of as much possible (by GAF standards at least), I'm just genuinely curious to hear your take on this.

The lighting in all Nintendo first party efforts on Wii U is fake and non-physical. It is aesthetically pleasing but it is not what I would call technically demanding.

It's a screenshot thread, what I am seeing from all Wii U games does not look any better than stuff already achieved on PS3/360. I am yet to see a game on WiiU which looks better than GoW III, Uncharted 3, Halo 4. If it was a videos thread, then maybe I would care about how it runs.

chadboban

The lighting in all Nintendo first party efforts on Wii U is fake and non-physical. It is aesthetically pleasing but it is not what I would call technically demanding.

It's a screenshot thread, what I am seeing from all Wii U games does not look any better than stuff already achieved on PS3/360. I am yet to see a game on WiiU which looks better than GoW III, Uncharted 3, Halo 4. If it was a videos thread, then maybe I would care about how it runs.

So let me get this straight, if a game had a totally crap unplayable framerate but looked great in screenshots, you wouldn't hesitate to call it beautiful? Also, if something is as you say "aesthetically pleasing" how does it become ugly simply because it's not "technically demanding"

I don't understand what you mean by 'fake' lighting. Not physically based, sure, but 'fake' rings a bit hollow to me, especially given we're discussing Mario Kart 8 which by all rights appears to have the most comprehensive and dynamic lighting and shaders we've ever seen in a Nintendo title.

So let me get this straight, if a game had a totally crap unplayable framerate but looked great in screenshots, you wouldn't hesitate to call it beautiful?

None of the games I listed have a "totally crap unplayable framerate", however MK8 does look ugly and aliased. It might look better in motion like PS3 CoD does, but that doesn't take way from its visual mediocrity compared to other games in the thread. Good luck trying to play strawman with someone else I am done. I find MK8 screenshots ugly, maybe it looks better in motion, start a videos thread tell me how many people find it better looking than Ryse or Infamous:SS.

chadboban

None of the games I listed have a "totally crap unplayable framerate", however MK8 does look ugly and aliased. It might look better in motion like PS3 CoD does, but that doesn't take way from its visual mediocrity compared to other games in the thread. Good luck trying to play strawman with someone else I am done. I find MK8 screenshots ugly, maybe it looks better in motion, start a videos thread tell me how many people find it better looking than Ryse or Infamous:SS.

For crying out loud stop turning this into a damn war. I wasn't talking about MK8 anymore. I was speaking in general. I never once denied that MK8 looks aliased in screenshots. As a matter of fact I linked to screens that nintendo themselves provided that were full of aliasing. What I was trying to get from you is what constitutes a beautiful game to you. I never said that any game you mentioned had an unplayable framerate (As a matter of fact I've played and loved a lot of the games you mentioned). I guess what you were trying to say was that in the context of this thread MK8 is an ugly game and elsewhere, like in a "videos thread", it would be good looking game? I shouldn't have even bothered getting into this with you as stuff like this just throws the whole thread off course.

Anyhow folks, please continue posting screens.

MK8 looks a bit rough after seeing the trailer, but considering the hardware, not bad at all!

FFXIV looks gorgeous, too bad I don't have time for a mmo.

Mine01

I'll never understand this.

"Its beautiful, but since its not technically impressive, i dont like it."

Oops forgot to embed this couple of screenshots, my first ones so dont kill me guys :(.

islftT9tO8Oei.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01wkys0.jpg

Mory Dunz

MK screenshots have looked the same since day 1. I hope people aren't surprised a year later.

If you're looking for a Wii U game to look amazing in stills, wwhd is your best bet.

But in motion, MK and Smash look great.

I'll never understand this.

"Its beautiful, but since its not technically impressive, i dont like it."

Oops forgot to embed this couple of screenshots, my first ones so dont kill me guys :(.

islftT9tO8Oei.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01wkys0.jpg

I don't think the first poster understands how lighting in games in done. In fact there is no real-time game that I am aware of that uses "physical based lighting." I can only assume he is referring to GI and ray-tracing but efforts thus far only approximate with shortcuts. There has been some impressive ray-tracing demos on some Nvidia demos but none of this generation are powerful enough to even consider it (PS4, XboxOn, and WiiU).

Most of the nice looking WiiU games seem to be using deferred rendering engines to allow many dynamic lights ... just like the games the poster mentioned ( GoW III, Uncharted 3, Halo 4 ) ...

Top Bottom