• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

Astral Dog

Holy shit, MK8 looks nothing like the released screenshots.

That aliasing is goddamn horrendous and the texturework/AF is really below par.
Jeez. At least it's 60FPS. It's certainly not a looker, that's for sure.

Ugly textures on Mario Kart 8? i mean, of course there are some low res textures on a few parts, its the Wii U and it runs at 60 fps after all, but it seems to me they did a good job with textures and effects overall

Computron

Pretty sure he meant physically based shading, but Nintendo only readlly does cartoon/NPR game where physically based shading wouldn't really benefit them.

sangreal

how many costume packs did you have to buy for those?

KSR looks great. imagining classic Rare games in this engine is glorious.

I don't even want to talk about it :(

I bought 4 of the challenges -- bowling, shooting, tennis and wakeracing

They don't have a climbing one for some reason

The Boat

iuurCKZ7lVdMc.jpg

igE40tAgMIMYh.jpg

iX2v4cbhHTIDj.jpg

I don't think the first poster understands how lighting in games in done. In fact there is no real-time game that I am aware of that uses "physical based lighting." I can only assume he is referring to GI and ray-tracing but efforts thus far only approximate with shortcuts. There has been some impressive ray-tracing demos on some Nvidia demos but none of this generation are powerful enough to even consider it (PS4, XboxOn, and WiiU).

Most of the nice looking WiiU games seem to be using deferred rendering engines to allow many dynamic lights ... just like the games the poster mentioned ( GoW III, Uncharted 3, Halo 4 ) ...

Deferred rendering is positively an ancient technique tracing its origin to most mobile GPUs, where it is used to provide energy efficient graphics processing. Deferred rendering is just a way to allow more dynamic lights, having deferred rendering doesn't make a game better looking by default. None of the nice looking WiiU games (even sub-30fps WWHD) comes close to the games I listed. Let's see whether ZeldaU can provide better visuals than the best of PS3/360.

While games do look better in motion, judging from the screenshots here, there will be a ton of pixel crawl and shimmering in MK8.

prag16

Banned
While games do look better in motion, judging from the screenshots here, there will be a ton of pixel crawl and shimmering in MK8.

It's not like we have to wait to find out; there's a ton of direct feed footage out there (even if most if it's 30fps because youtube).

Not saying you personally expressed this sentiment, but the idea that some jaggies in the screens retroactively makes the videos less appealing is sort of absurd. Kind of like how Digital Foundry routinely seems to retroactively make various games less appealing.

And no, not all games look better in motion. Performance/animations/etc matter. A lot.

I couldn't pass up commenting on this one:
And like some of us said a lot of ugly games look beautiful in motion.

If a game "looks beautiful in motion" that means it's not an "ugly game". Come on.

"Playing the game" is playing the game... and that happens in motion. "Looking at screenshots (often zoomed to way more than 100% in order to nitpick)" isn't playing the game.

Yes, this is a screenshots thread, so zooming in past 100% marveling (or not marveling) at the IQ is what we're all doing, but when we start saying things like "this game looks awesome when i'm playing it, but this topic proves it's a fraud and that it's actually ugly" that's a little far.

Dang, those MK8 screens look rough.
ige40tagmimyh0j8j66.jpg

What's going on with that section? It's like a block was added(or edited).

This is precisely what I meant by unphysical lighting. There is a square green box of glow coming from that turtle shell. The motion blur is overdone and not bokeh but a cheaper technique. I thought the WiiU is a gen8/gen4(if you like EA's nomenclature) console, Deferred Rendering is a last gen technique (extensively used on PS3/360), this gen is all about realistic materials, physical shaders, better AA, high quality DoF, awesome particle effects, etc (Deferred rendering is a given, unless forward rendering suits the game better eg. Forza, Killzone Mercenary). Deferred Rendering does not make an ugly game look good.

"Playing the game" is playing the game... and that happens in motion. "Looking at screenshots (often zoomed to way more than 100% in order to nitpick)" isn't playing the game.

Yes, this is a screenshots thread, so zooming in past 100% marveling (or not marveling) at the IQ is what we're all doing, but when we start saying things like "this game looks awesome when i'm playing it, but this topic proves it's a fraud and that it's actually ugly" that's a little far.

I am not zooming past 100%, I am viewing native 1280x720 image on my 15" 1366x768 laptop screen. Seeing it on a 32" television (again in native 1280x720 res (letterboxed) on a 1366x768 last gen Sharp TV) made me realize how gross and ugly this game looks on a fixed pixel display. Maybe you have a CRT or Plasma, in which case I envy you, but this game looks horrendous in stills (it gives W101 a run for its money in the horrible aliasing department) on fixed pixel displays.

prag16

Banned
I am not zooming past 100%, I am viewing native 1280x720 image on my 15" 1366x768 laptop screen. Seeing it on a 32" television (again in native 1280x720 res (letterboxed) on a 1366x768 last gen Sharp TV) made me realize how gross and ugly this game looks on a fixed pixel display. Maybe you have a CRT or Plasma, in which case I envy you, but this game looks horrendous in stills (it gives W101 a run for its money in the horrible aliasing department) on fixed pixel displays.

Sidestepping the entire point, and locking in on one aspect (the zooming past 100% thing) which wasn't even really critical to the argument. Okay. I'll strip it down for you:

If a game "looks beautiful in motion" that means it's not an "ugly game".

"Playing the game" is playing the game... and that happens in motion. "Looking at screenshots" isn't playing the game. Therefore the latter can't logically supercede the former in terms of judgement of ugliness of the game overall.

VanWinkle

It's not like we have to wait to find out; there's a ton of direct feed footage out there (even if most if it's 30fps because youtube).

Not saying you personally expressed this sentiment, but the idea that some jaggies in the screens retroactively makes the videos less appealing is sort of absurd. Kind of like how Digital Foundry routinely seems to retroactively make various games less appealing.

And no, not all games look better in motion. Performance/animations/etc matter. A lot.

I couldn't pass up commenting on this one:

If a game "looks beautiful in motion" that means it's not an "ugly game". Come on.

To be fair, the footage we've seen is NOT indicative of how it will look on our TV sets and the direct feed screenshots are closer to achieving that look. Other methods of streaming video that we've seen (as far as I'm aware, we don't have any direct-feed MK8 videos that are minimally compressed) are far too compressed and low bitrate.

Sidestepping the entire point, and locking in on one aspect (the zooming past 100% thing) which wasn't even really critical to the argument. Okay. I'll strip it down for you:

If a game "looks beautiful in motion" that means it's not an "ugly game".

"Playing the game" is playing the game... and that happens in motion. "Looking at screenshots" isn't playing the game. Therefore the latter can't logically supercede the former in terms of judgement of ugliness of the game overall.

I would like to know what you think of Resistance 3 and all CoDs on PS3 (all of these are sub-720p games that looked good in motion). In motion this game barely looks better than modnation racers/sonic racing/lbp karting. This is a gen 8/gen 4 console pardon me for expecting better IQ, this game is ugly period (I do not know why I am arguing this anyway. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, if you find this jagged mess with unphysical lighting and DoF beautiful, more power to you. I have higher expectations from gen 8 /gen 4 games)

Welp, this thread has gone to shit, a pity. Please post screenshots and leave the nonsense out of here.

From the OP: 5. Critique and be opinionated about games/shots, but don't threadshit. So I am guessing that criticizing screenshots and defending criticism is allowed. But maybe I did not read it right or does my criticism of 'ugly, no AA, weird DoF with green box lighting around turtle shell' MK8 hurt your sentiments? If it is the latter then I apologize for hurting your feelings.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I see absolutely no direction to the debate going on, so lets stop it in favour of posting more screenshots.

Tip: If somebody says they think a game looks ugly for technical and/or artistic reasons, you do not need to jump to the game's defence as to why it's totally not ugly and said person is wrong because reasons. And if someone disagrees and thinks a game actually looks really great despite aliasing and resolution and textures or whatever complaints, you don't need to spend several posts arguing your taste.

prag16

Banned
From the OP: 5. Critique and be opinionated about games/shots, but don't threadshit. So I am guessing that criticizing screenshots and defending criticism is allowed. But maybe I did not read it right or does my criticism of 'ugly, no AA, weird DoF with green box lighting around turtle shell' MK8 hurt your sentiments? If it is the latter then I apologize for hurting your feelings.

It's not about hurting people's feelings. What compelled me to comment was the odd statement indicating that a game could simultaneously be "beautiful in motion" but in reality be ugly because screens.

But complaints are noted and correct; discussion of this to this extent isn't appropriate for this thread. I will gladly drop the matter at this point. No hard feelings.

chadboban

I see absolutely no direction to the debate going on, so lets stop it in favour of posting more screenshots.

Tip: If somebody says they think a game looks ugly for technical and/or artistic reasons, you do not need to jump to the game's defence as to why it's totally not ugly and said person is wrong because reasons. And if someone disagrees and thinks a game actually looks really great despite aliasing and resolution and textures or whatever complaints, you don't need to spend several posts arguing your taste.

I'm guilty dragging out that debate as well and I apologize to the good folks in this thread and to thedarknight87 as well.

Here's some DK screens I took a while back but never posted

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01hheum.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01jzzhx.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01g5uuv.jpg

This one looks damn good, games runs at 60fps as well correct?

That's in Costa Del Sol, which is somewhere in the Limsa Lominsa area. I really like the area a lot. The clear light blue water is relaxing haha.

grinchygranch05_01_20edjdp.jpg

So nice!

Game looks lovely, I would love to get into it but I fear I don't have the time to sink into an MMO these days. Perhaps if I have a lot of free time later in the year.

Grinchy

Banned
Game looks lovely, I would love to get into it but I fear I don't have the time to sink into an MMO these days. Perhaps if I have a lot of free time later in the year.

I swore I'd never play an MMO again because I spent way too much time playing Everquest and FFXI. They were just such enormous time sinks and I was way too willing to sink my time in.

Luckily these newer MMOs, while they are still timesinks, are much more accessible than the old school ones. There have easy to follow quest lines, map indicators, ect. Grouping no longer involves sitting in the area you want to grind in for 45+ minutes shouting out that your are LFG or LFP. There's no more bullshit where you just waited all day for a group and the healer took one look at your gear and said you couldn't join.

I've been playing 14 for a few hours at a time every couple days or so. Without devoting a ton of time into it, I'm already level 42 (out of a max level of 50). So it requires much less time than any MMO I used to play. I'm starting to sound like a Square Enix shill so I'm going to back away slowly now lol...

chadboban

I swore I'd never play an MMO again because I spent way too much time playing Everquest and FFXI. They were just such enormous time sinks and I was way too willing to sink my time in.

Luckily these newer MMOs, while they are still timesinks, are much more accessible than the old school ones. There have easy to follow quest lines, map indicators, ect. Grouping no longer involves sitting in the area you want to grind in for 45+ minutes shouting out that your are LFG or LFP. There's no more bullshit where you just waited all day for a group and the healer took one look at your gear and said you couldn't join.

I've been playing 14 for a few hours at a time every couple days or so. Without devoting a ton of time into it, I'm already level 42 (out of a max level of 50). So it requires much less time than any MMO I used to play. I'm starting to sound like a Square Enix shill so I'm going to back away slowly now lol...

That actually sounds great! You've convinced me that this is a MMO that might suit me. I'll definitely put it on my "to purchase" list

Will likely be on PC though since I don't have a PS4 yet :(

Thanks again for the info :)

Top Bottom