• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

This thread is the perfect example for why I have the stance "Weak hardware means very different things than it once did."

WiiU is unequivocally weak in comparison to PS4/One and especially any gaming PC. But you still get games that look like those showing up in this thread. You can even see the technical superiority of those KillZone shots. Pretty clearly, and yet WiiU games are still beautiful.

Different era. Generation apart in tech means WiiU to PS4 now. Not N64 to GCN. You're still going to have gorgeous games. Just lacking in modern technical flourishes.

Can't wait to see more of X

nordique

This thread is the perfect example for why I have the stance "Weak hardware means very different things than it once did."

WiiU is unequivocally weak in comparison to PS4/One and especially any gaming PC. But you still get games that look like those showing up in this thread. You can even see the technical superiority of those KillZone shots. Pretty clearly, and yet WiiU games are still beautiful.

Different era. Generation apart in tech means WiiU to PS4 now. Not N64 to GCN. You're still going to have gorgeous games. Just lacking in modern technical flourishes.

These are my feelings as well.

Yeah, I'm not buying that. Art direction is the reason why, not diminishing returns. 8 years ago you could have compared a launch title like Perfect Dark Zero on the 360 against Wind Waker on much weaker Gamecube and would still have a favorable comparison. Same reason why CoD Ghosts on Wii U against Killzone PS4 would be more egregious than any N64 to Gamecube comparison you can do.

KHlover

Banned
wiiu_screenshot_tv_0158eiy.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01aouvr.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_gamep9ssh3.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_gamep7suf2.jpg

Yeah, I'm not buying that. Art direction is the reason why, not diminishing returns. 8 years ago you could have compared a launch title like Perfect Dark Zero on the 360 against Wind Waker on much weaker Gamecube and would still have a favorable comparison. Same reason why CoD Ghosts on Wii U against Killzone PS4 would be more egregious than any N64 to Gamecube comparison you can do.
No... not even close.

OoT in no way looks comparable to Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. Meanwhile Ghosts on WiiU looks like a fairly crap port of the same assets. It's not anything approaching the same situation. Even Wii to 360 isn't the same situation to N64-GCN. You're still building assets that can be directly translated. In the N64 era you would be working with only 150,000 polygons per second. At the max of 5000 poly's per frame at 30fps.

In this era the difference is 3 million poly's per frame and 9 million. Fancier shader effects. Much more accurate than WiiU can produce, but in the end based on the same or similar assets.

Much different era.

In the N64 days it would take the entire rendering muscle of the N64 to output a single TP character model. WiiU is not in that same predicament. Diminishing returns to a degree.

No... not even close.

OoT in no way looks comparable to Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. Meanwhile Ghosts on WiiU looks like a fairly crap port of the same assets. It's not anything approaching the same situation. Even Wii to 360 isn't the same situation to N64-GCN. You're still building assets that can be directly translated. In the N64 era you would be working with only 150,000 polygons per second. At the max of 5000 poly's per frame at 30fps.

In this era the difference is 3 million poly's per frame and 9 million. Fancier shader effects. Much more accurate than WiiU can produce, but in the end based on the same or similar assets.

Much different era.

In the N64 days it would take the entire rendering muscle of the N64 to output a single TP character model. WiiU is not in that same predicament. Diminishing returns to a degree.

You made the comparison based on a handful of screenshots in this thread. All those numbers mean nothing when you can cherry pick certain compressed screenshots to fit whatever narrative you want. Fact is Nintendo has a certain art style that will make any screenshot comparable to certain games. I could take a Banjo Tooie and Oni compressed screenshot and make it seen there is barely a difference between N64-PS2. Just like I could do the same thing with PDZ and Wind Waker and proclaim Gamecube-360 jump is meager.

If you want to make a point of diminishing returns based of rendering numbers, that's fine. Using a thread based of cherry picked compressed screenshots is not that way to go about it.

You made the comparison based on a handful of screenshots in this thread. All those numbers mean nothing when you can cherry pick certain compressed screenshots to fit whatever narrative you want. Fact is Nintendo has a certain art style that will make any screenshot comparable to certain games. I could take a Banjo Tooie and Oni compressed screenshot and make it seen there is barely a difference between N64-PS2. Just like I could do the same thing with PDZ and Wind Waker and proclaim Gamecube-360 jump is meager.

If you want to make a point of diminishing returns based of rendering numbers, that's fine. Using a thread based of cherry picked compressed screenshots is not that way to go about it.
You seem kind of hostile about this.

There are just as many capture card uncompressed images in this thread to make a comparison, and it does nothing to change what I've posted. All shots are obviously being rendered on hardware well out of WiiU's league. But that difference today still gives you gorgeous videogames. ACIV WiiU isn't an ugly game in this era, even with KillZone, BF4, and Ryse obviously upping the bar in realtime rendering. Call it what you will. Diminishing returns or whatever. This is a very different era.

AngryBird

Banned
Twitter/FB compression is awful, people should use message/capture if possible.
Anyhow I like the mood lightning of KZ:SF, and the IQ/Artstyle of Flower.
On the other hand I think CoD:G on WiiU looks horrible.

How do you do that with message ? Do you have to create another separate psn account and msg it there? Then how do you retrieve the .jpg?

The share button is useless to me. Might as well no be there at all.

Boogybro

You seem kind of hostile about this.

There are just as many capture card uncompressed images in this thread to make a comparison, and it does nothing to change what I've posted. All shots are obviously being rendered on hardware well out of WiiU's league. But that difference today still gives you gorgeous videogames. ACIV WiiU isn't an ugly game in this era, even with KillZone, BF4, and Ryse obviously upping the bar in realtime rendering. Call it what you will. Diminishing returns or whatever. This is a very different era.

I call it...

Well, I call it diminishing returns.

I call it...

Well, I call it diminishing returns.

Yup, it isn't saying anything negative about PS4 and Xbone, it is just a fact that diminishing returns is a thing and that every jump is going to seem smaller and smaller. This isn't a bad thing, it just shows how far technology is coming and how close we are to photorealism.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
First time I've looked at this game and went "Dayuuuuuum." If anything, the lack of horrible compression makes aliasing stand out a bit more, but it's to be expected from consoles.

More from you. MORE!
Hehe. 2 more generic ones:

10932484074_e7b765d002_o.png

10932333525_2fb158fb78_o.png

OryoN

I mistook a couple of those Wii U AC4 shots for the PS4 version. The texture work caught me off-guard! Also, why does those COD:BO2 Wii U pics(p 21) look so much better than Ghost? IW really dropped the ball with that game overall, and even though Treyarch did the best they could to port that garbage code over to Wii U, much more could have been done IQ wise.

I mistook a couple of those Wii U AC4 shots for the PS4 version. The texture work caught me off-guard! Also, why does those COD:BO2 Wii U pics(p 21) look so much better than Ghost? IW really dropped the ball with that game overall, and even though Treyarch did the best they could to port that garbage code over to Wii U, much more could have been done IQ wise.

It is likely based off of the current gen version which looks much worse than Blops2.

Yup, it isn't saying anything negative about PS4 and Xbone, it is just a fact that diminishing returns is a thing and that every jump is going to seem smaller and smaller. This isn't a bad thing, it just shows how far technology is coming and how close we are to photorealism.
We still have a ways to go.

We aren't even using our closest to accurate realtime Global Illumination tech yet. I mean I can watch KillZone vids, and see what I'm fairly certain is some kind of voxel GI, some truly impressive lighting, highly detailed texture, and asset diversity out the ass and know where the power of the PS4 is being used. But I still look at the 360 version of DAO and think "Pretty..." at certain scenes.

We've got tools that if used correctly can reproduce almost any visual identity... on phones. Making a beautiful videogame is easier than it has ever been. No matter what platform you're developing for.

PS4 games shit all over last generation games, visually. Killzone and BF4 already look this good and we're only at launch. Holiday 2014 and into 2015 is where people will stop pushing this "diminishing returns" junk.

PS4 games shit all over last generation games, visually. Killzone and BF4 already look this good and we're only at launch. Holiday 2014 and into 2015 is where people will stop pushing this "diminishing returns" junk.

I wish people would stop denying it, yes the new games look better, no one is saying they don't, but the gap is getting smaller and smaller every generation.

I wish people would stop denying it, yes the new games look better, no one is saying they don't, but the gap is getting smaller and smaller every generation.
I will agree to disagree. The difference between Killzone: Shadow Fall, and a game like Resistance: Fall of Man, both launch games, is massive. Once we start seeing games like The Order 1886 and the new Uncharted, games of last gen at 720p, bad textures, barely any AA, if any at all, will look like a mess and the gap will seem just as huge.

Hell, I had Killzone 3 on input 1 and Shadow Fall on input 2 yesterday just for comparison, kept switching back and forth and the difference is hugely apparent, a true generational gap to me.

The difference?

360/WiiU/PS3 games aren't going to be ugly then. Just obviously being rendered on less capable hardware. This isn't a knock against the PS4 or One. PS4 in particular has impressed me to a degree no Sony platform has since the PS2. I'm very bullish on its prospects in the market.

But I don't see us ever being in the same situation again as we have between prior generations. The most intelligently designed games on 360/PS3/WiiU class hardware will be beautiful in 20 years, Just obviously lacking in comparison to what is capable. The confluence of impeccable artistic and technical design in this era means you're going to be looking at a game that can in degrees accurately represent any person, place, or thing.

And it's only going to better.

How do you do that with message ? .
From earlier (Don't have a PS4)
Those of you who wish to export the PS4 screenshots without uploading them to Facebook or Twitter, you can attach them via PSN messages and retrieve those attachments through the messages in PlayStation App. I saved them to my Photo Stream on iOS and got them on my computer that way.

Unfortunately you cannot send messages to yourself so you will need a buddy or a dummy account.

Inconvenient workaround but it works. I tested with my brother and I managed to get the 1080p 260KB JPG out.

PSY・S;90314792 said:
Attaching the screenshot to a message and sending it to someone then downloading the picture from the PlayStation App or the Messages app on the Vita.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
These Wii U shots are incredible, who says the Wii U can't trade blows with the next-gen big boys?

tkscz

I wouldn't I say I deny it, just that if it doesn't stand out artistically, then i won't really see it. Probably because I didn't have a 360 (my brother does but i rarely play it) or PS3, just a PC, which had games on that level already. So none of it looks that impressive.

Don't get me wrong, KillZone is pretty, but it's bland and kind of looks like modded Crysis 2. Now Flower on the other hand, that is some impressive stuff.

boxter432

if I were to judge KZ gameplay just on the screenshots, I'd say it was an RPG where you talk to the ugly black guy a lot and creep on the girl with the oddly angled hood.

dem

Why does everyone keep posting that killzone girl?

she looks pretty bad to me..
flat.. angular.. washed out/blurry..

Are they using any form of sub-surface scattering on the KZ character models?

It's really subtle if they are. I can def see some really high quality Ambient Occlusion though. I love The Orders sss. Very realistic.

zoozilla

So how many of Shadow Fall's cut-scenes are pre-rendered and how many are in real-time?

And is it possible to tell the difference on a TV?

UNCMark

Banned
A lot of those Wii U shots prove that art style is more important than resolution. So many beautiful games. I'll break down at some point and buy one.

Top Bottom