• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking emergency, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Well it's not that bad, but I've just made a pizza sauce and it's way too thin. Anyone have any ideas how to thicken it?

Here's the ingredients:

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed

They're all just mixed together. Now I would thicken it by adding more tomato paste, but I used it all already.

Help?

Mama Smurf

That's what I was thinking, but I'm a bit of a retard cooking-wise (I just follow recipes, I don't dare deviate from them) and wasn't sure if that'd screw it up.

OH SHIT! PORKCHOP SANDWICHES!

Seriously, boiling some of the water is a good idea, and maybe add some thinly chopped pieces of tomatoes to make it thicker. Or add some chopped vegetables.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Sorry, but you'll need more tomato paste to thicken it up.

Another way of thickening something up is by adding some cornstarch, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing to be adding to tomato sauce. I use it to thicken stuff like gravys and puddings. Stick with more tomato paste.

Oh btw, have you ever tried making a native pizza. That's a pizza using sliced tomatoes in place of sauce. It's fucking excellent if you know how to make it right.

Phoenix

Wife says you can add corn starch to it, flower would work as well. Any thickening agent will do. She says if you use corn starch don't use to much or it could become gell-like. Recommends next time to not use as much water, add it in last to get it to your desired thickness.

robochimp

You shouldnt need to use a thickening agent(starch , flour) Just boil the water off at a low simmer. It will help develop the flavors too

Phoenix

robochimp said:
You shouldnt need to use a thickening agent(starch , flour) Just boil the water off at a low simmer. It will help develop the flavors too

Wife says that will work if the amount of water isn't a 'lot', otherwise you will overcook everything trying to get the water out.

Mama Smurf

Too late now, went with the cornflour idea. Didn't seem like that much sauce anyway, I wasn't fond of the idea of reducing it down further.

It seems to have worked great though (after I demolished the kitchen looking for cornflour anyway), so thanks to those who suggested it.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
In the future, instead of adding cornstarch directly into the pot, dissolve it in some water first...then add it to the pot. Reduces the chance of lumps..

robochimp

Phoenix said:
Wife says that will work if the amount of water isn't a 'lot', otherwise you will overcook everything trying to get the water out.

Its a sauce though, As long as you have it on simmer you cant really over cook it. Some sauce recipes have you simmering it for hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom