• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.
NoRéN;208353537 said:
Another fuck up in semi finals. Go klinnsman!

GOD, can we put some of the blame on the fucking players for the ARG game? I mean Jesus Christ, I doubt Klinsmann wasn't in that locker room fired up as hell. His boys pussed out and it showed.

Tagyhag

Frankly, the loss doesn't bother me at all. It's the lack of meaningful minutes for some of the younger, supporting cast like Nagbe and Pulisic in this game. They're both going to be part of the 2018 squad almost guaranteed, why not give them more than 10 or 20 minutes in games like this?

I feel like most teams were at fault with this, even in games were they were pretty much guaranteed to win.

Argentina didn't even call in Paulo Dybala who's going to be taking over Messi's spot in some years.

ZZMitch

altidore.JPG

Kevin-Bacon.jpg

U.S players are a bunch of idiots. Yedlin got two yellows in a span of 30 seconds three games ago. Then Jones got a straight red card in Quarterfinal for acting like a jackass and then Bobby Wood yellow carded himself out of the semifinal too. And now this fuckface literally slaps a guy right in front of the referee. How stupid do you have to be to do that? It's like they are 2 year olds.

To be fair, the Colombian fuckface touched heads with the US fuckface.

The US fuckface needed to be smarter though.

Any team starting Bradley in the middle of the field isn't going anywhere.

The USA did have it's chances though. Wood, Zardes, Dempsey...all should have scored one goal and they either choked or simply hit a bad shot.

U.S players are a bunch of idiots. Yedlin got two yellows in a span of 30 seconds three games ago. Then Jones got a straight red card in Quarterfinal for acting like a jackass and then Bobby Wood yellow carded himself out of the semifinal too. And now this fuckface literally slaps a guy right in front of the referee. How stupid do you have to be to do that? It's like they are 2 year olds.

Orozco basically killed any kind of momentum we had at the end and used up the last ounce of stoppage time with that idiotic stunt.

Bradley and Jones need to be off the team. Are there seriously no better players in the US in their 20s? Seriously?

We've only got 2 years until Russia, we really need to put Wood, Nagbe, and Pusilic on the fast track here. It's time to move on from players who just can't perform in the big games on the big stages.

That means you, Bradley.

t-1000.gif

Altazor

Congrats to ColombiaGAF for the third place!

To USGAF - what do you think about the current selection of players? Do you think more could be done with it, do you think this is basically the ceiling for this generation? Do you blame Klinsmann/the whole setup, or do you think you're going in the right direction and good times are still ahead for US soccer?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think the US overperformed, tbh. Had them going out in QFs with a very clear chance of not advancing the group.

Still think Klinsmann is a hack fraud so him staying serves me as Mexico fan.

ZZMitch

To USGAF - what do you think about the current selection of players? Do you think more could be done with it, do you think this is basically the ceiling for this generation? Do you blame Klinsmann/the whole setup, or do you think you're going in the right direction and good times are still ahead for US soccer?

In my opinion this is up there with the best selection of players the US has ever had and I don't think JK has got the best out of them. I have a lot of hope for 2018 providing JK actually gives the younger players a real chance and doesn't field a line up of 30 somethings.

jett

D-Member
Disgraceful play from the Colombians at the end. Some seriously unnecessary shit went down. Muricans deserved the penalty shootouts.

It was a fun, exciting match overall. USA isn't bad, just needs a little oomph to push it over.

Beach

The USA roster that played in this tournament will more or less be the same squad in 2018

The back four is solidified at least

Yedlin, Cameron, Brooks and Johnson are the best four we could have and possibly the best back four we've had since the Boca and Dolo years. Besler being an option and CB and LB is also great. Just need a right legged version.

The midfield will still line up with Bradley Zardes and Bedoya and I could see Nagbe taking the spot of Jones. Pulisic will be used as a super sub with Zusi being the second choice

Attacking wise I still see Dempsey being the main star while Altidore and Wood battle it out to start along side him

Congrats Colombia-GAF btw

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Colombia is the better team, has better players, better tactics and is superior in every way. I can't understand why they parked the bus the way they did in a meaningless match.

Dmented

Banned
NoRéN;208353639 said:
It's just too bad that this is the case.

It is but it still needs to grow in this country. It's a slow process but I think it will come in time. I think each time the US does even remotely well, it grows.

USMNT's next competitive game is WCQ away at St. Vincent and the Grenadines

Get excited.

One of Murrica's biggest problems is that we rarely have to face real competition in CONCACAF. I mean there's Mexico, but yeah I think Chile has exposed Mexico's apparen strength for what it actually is.

I doubt CONMEBOL wants a merger with CONCACAF because they like their WC spots as much as we like ours, but there needs to be more pan-American soccer being played to force Murrica and Mexico to become better teams.

Making the Copa America Centenario happen every 4 years, even if the Gold Cup and Copa Classico still continue to be played, is a big step towards reaching that goal.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Cant blame Kilinsmann for the talent. it's just not there. these players dont take shots, dont make any runs, get carded like idiots, and lose possession way too easily.

I like Nagbe, Pulisic, Wood and a few of the more more technical players coming up. But I doubt anyone aside from those three will breakthrough before Russia 2016.

I'm not a fan of Jordan Morris. I know he wasn't there at the Copa, but he's mostly likely a part of the next wave of players coming in. To me though, Morris is more like a Zardes and Yedlin, and less a Nagbe and Pulisic. An athlete with some good instincts but doesn't have the technical ability to be a world class player at the international level. I want us to start integrating more technical players into our roster (they do exist) since they have a higher ceiling and gives our team more potential with the right combination and setup.

We also need to euthanize at minimum a third of our roster. I think their poor ability more than negates the vet experience they provide. Did Jermaine Jone's leadership help us in the quarterfinals? No, he got red carded and missed the semi-final. Did Michael Bradley's experience and leadership steady the ship against Argentina? If anything Zardes played like a vet and Bradley played like 17 year-old just out of the academy. Dempsey is probably the only one in the old guard that's worth keeping around. The other guys like Beckerman, Bradley, Jones, Zusi, and Wondo just hold the team back.

So no, I'm not really happy with the current selection. The current selection is probably good enough for us to beatup most CONCACAF teams to qualify for Russia '18. But this selection at the WC will just lead to another embarrassing knockout elimination as soon as we face a quality CONMEBOL or UEFA team.

How does that compare to what Bradley did with a similar squad bar Donovan?
Don't see how that squad is similar. It's atleast 50% different players from 5 years ago. And the players that are the same are 5 years older and in almost every case worse than they were then due to age. Bedoya is probably the only exception.

Colombia is the better team, has better players, better tactics and is superior in every way. I can't understand why they parked the bus the way they did in a meaningless match.

We are overrated

We are decent but not AAA.

The jump of quality is not yet complete. We need another Falcao and to consistently create players to be in the same level as Argentina.

In South America we are behind Argentina and Chile. Maybe tied with Brasil.

Niks

We are overrated
We are decent but not AAA.

The jump of quality is not yet complete. We need another Falcao and to consistently create players to be in the same level as Argentina.

In South America we are behind Argentina and Chile. Maybe tied with Brasil.

The gap to Argentina and Chile is massive...
I think we were the least effective team in the cup. Sure we attack a lot, but none of those end in goals.

Big contrast to Chile, who gets the job done in 2-3 chances they get.

One of Murrica's biggest problems is that we rarely have to face real competition in CONCACAF. I mean there's Mexico, but yeah I think Chile has exposed Mexico's apparen strength for what it actually is.

I doubt CONMEBOL wants a merger with CONCACAF because they like their WC spots as much as we like ours, but there needs to be more pan-American soccer being played to force Murrica and Mexico to become better teams.

Making the Copa America Centenario happen every 4 years, even if the Gold Cup and Copa Classico still continue to be played, is a big step towards reaching that goal.

That makes no sense at all. Copa América centenario means that it's the 100 year anniversary of the first Copa América...
Maybe they could create a different cup, dunno.

labx

Banned
Well Colombia, -we- deserve what we got. We are in the qualifiers behind Chile and Argentina never understand why we wanted to be more? James is completely overrated, he is a diva. Ospina, my man. Cuadrado, welp, he lacks accuracy. Arias solid as always. Bacca, my man too. The rest, go to sleep. Wait and Torres my man. So yeah. Next match is with Venezuela, gonna be good, because we need to win ASAP.

Pekerman is tired, and know the man, but is time to let go.

Goodbye Copa America, what a fucking nightmare.

mdA1Bzg.png

Caturro

I'm loving the Messi fans begging for him to win with Argentina and the Argentina fans claiming they "should" win today.

A lot of tears will be shed.

Vamos Chile, por la segunda!

Mory Dunz

If pulisic isn't ready to start, how about if Johnson moves up into the MF for Beyoda or someone?

And we just forcefeed whatever best younger option we have at LB for the next two years. I mean, we've basically been forcefeeding Zardes and Yedlin in the starting lineup for a couple of years now, and you have to say they're better for it individually.

Johnson can maybe go back to LB when he's like 32 and slower. Or not.

Strax

He is a European player. We snaked him from Iceland. I actually think they're still pissed.

Not really. He'd maybe be our 4th option and he picked the US because then he has a good chance of starting and has a easy way in to the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom