• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.
LET'S GO USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

article_post_width_tumblr_n6yiirnQlv1siw628o1_500.gif
article_post_width_tumblr_n6yiirnQlv1siw628o1_500.gif

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man I was doing stuff last night and totally forgot to watch Arg/Chil. Sounds like I didn't miss much aside from Chile making people disappointed.

Wilmar Valdez, president of the AUF (Uruguay's soccer asociation) said the cup is tailored for Mexico.

Rough translation said:
"Conmebol made a mistake by celebrating a tournament of this nature, the oldest cup in the world, of south american soccer, here in the United States, where this sunday it was clear (...) that this tournament is tailored made for Mexico."

Considering the merge spoken by Concacaf officials, I'm going to say this may very well become a reality.

Shouldn't it be tailored for the USA? Just like the one last year was for Chile...
It's a slap in the face considering the cup had always been a south american affair. Also, more mexicans watch soccer than people from the US.

Honestly, that doesnt make much sense...
Yes and no. I was about to say it was nonsense, but it's not hard to remember mexican fans throwing bottles at uruguayan fans and to the field. And they made up like 90% of attendance.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
US needs to start Pulisic(F) and Nagbe(M, behind Pulisic)

they're young, they need time to get in the groove of things in the game. Nagbe usually starts with Portland, and I definitely notice this with Pulisic in Dortmund this year.

v1lla21

That makes no sense. Dude is just being a sore loser. If he wants to criticize how the fans behave that's totally different and valid point but to say this was tailored to Mexico. Lol. Please.

A combination of Colombia not losing and USA losing today would eliminate USA. But I think they'll be able to win against Costa Rica.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
US needs to start Pulisic(F) and Nagbe(M, behind Pulisic)

they're young, they need time to get in the groove of things in the game. Nagbe usually starts with Portland, and I definitely notice this with Pulisic in Dortmund this year.

Nagbe definitely needs to be starting tonight, we look a lot better with him than without him. Pulisic I'd wait to swap on until the half, he's only 17 so you don't want him to feel like the whole team is on his back. Also Wondo instead of Wood or Zardes. Neither one has been all that impressive and we need goals.

Mexico vs Uruguay had nothing that screamed rigged. Hell Uruguay could've gone up multiple times in the Score board.

It isn't Mexico's fault the Copa America is in the USA.

Edit: Also please USA, dont disappoint me.

gutshot

May I have a suggestion for the OP? I think it would be better to put the schedule somewhere closer to the top of the post now, seems more intuitive to check it there rather than scroll through all the teams lists first.

Good idea. I've moved the schedule up before all the rosters.

OMG!!! Why didn't OP softly erased the left side of those countries' images beneath the black gradient???

I already spent way too much time messing with those headers and didn't feel like going back and fixing it for the few that were noticeable.

Calvero

Banned
So what was up with Mexico's defensive line-up in their game against Uruguay? They used all their central defenders right?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Nagbe definitely needs to be starting tonight, we look a lot better with him than without him. Pulisic I'd wait to swap on until the half, he's only 17 so you don't want him to feel like the whole team is on his back. Also Wondo instead of Wood or Zardes. Neither one has been all that impressive and we need goals.

agree with that

but Pulisic's ability to create with the ball, is really needed. We dont have "one on one" dude to put settled defenses on their heels.

So what was up with Mexico's defensive line-up in their game against Uruguay? They used all their central defenders right?

We suck when we play 4 in the back. When we play with 5, we can attack better too.

Only problem is we don't have a lot of great CBs, Corona is our only backup

agree with that

but Pulisic's ability to create with the ball, is really needed. We dont have "one on one" dude to put settled defenses on their heels.

I think those 2 are definitely more suited for this match than the next one. These guys with no experience will struggle against the rugged South American style. Colombia beat us up all over the field the other night. Paraguay will probably do the same thing. Not sure those 2 can handle that for 90 minutes, especially Pulisic.

Blue Lou

The guys got a point. It does seem like it's been, not rigged, but certainly weighted in Mexico's favour.

Uruguay: Glendale - > Philadelphia -> Houston
Mexico: Glendale - > Pasadena -> Santa Clara

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Mexico's weakness is its defense.

Mexico's always liked that 5-man back line. I remember watching them play on TV with my grandpa when I was a kid, they always seemed to run 5 in the back. It's just something they do.

agree with that

Agreed, but at the same time I'm worried about his development. If he keeps going at the rate he could be a real dangerous player in the next World Cup. Though a Wondo-Dempsey-Pulisic attacking line would probably be our best bet to get some goals.

I think those 2 are definitely more suited for this match than the next one. These guys with no experience will struggle against the rugged South American style. Colombia beat us up all over the field the other night. Paraguay will probably do the same thing. Not sure those 2 can handle that for 90 minutes, especially Pulisic.

Nagbe would probably be fine, but I'd rather not see Pulisic in that game if we can help it.

To clarify: I don't know how it is in other sports, but in soccer it is notable when a team is playing home or away. Whoever the audience sides with usually plays a better game than what they usually do, and whoever the audience sides against does worse.

It means nothing more than that.

Carlius

Banned
lmfao mexico will NOT win this copa america. its not like uruguay is hard to beat, they havent done well since last world cup IF you consider last world cup a good performance.

Mexico is decent, thats about it. its gonna be argentina vs brazil the final once again.

lmfao mexico will NOT win this copa america. its not like uruguay is hard to beat, they havent done well since last world cup IF you consider last world cup a good performance.

Mexico is decent, thats about it. its gonna be argentina vs brazil the final once again.

Brazil wasn't very convincing against Ecuador.

Argentina seems like the favorite to me. Colombia is probably going to be on the same side of the knock out bracket as them but they would be my #2. Brazil without Neymar is very beatable and Mexico always plays Brazil tough so I think the bottom half of the bracket is wide open. Granted this is assuming everything goes as predicted.

Nice to see someone have Faith in Brazil. They haven't gone past semis since 2007.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Brazil doesn't have much of a sharp edge going forward without Neymar. My money's on Argentina or Colombia or maybe even Mexico taking it all.

For the American futbol fans, regardless of the outcome, do you see this tournament as Jurgen Klinsmann's last?

God we hope so. There's a few very good American coaches floating around that could do far more with the group of players we have than Klinsmann has.

For the American futbol fans, regardless of the outcome, do you see this tournament as Jurgen Klinsmann's last?

Regardless of outcome? If they make it to the semis/finals or win I really doubt he would get sacked. Besides, who is waiting in the wings to replace him?

It's too early to be conclusive, but so far, my candidates to win this copa are:

1.- Mexico: Very strong team overall. Very good at pressing and playing fast.
2.- Colombia/Argentina: Excellent from a technical point of view, even better than Mexico, but both have defensive lines that perform so so when pressed.

Congrats to arg-gaf, you were better than us, yesterday.

PS: What the uruguayan dude says about this tournament being tailored for Mexico is utter bullshit, IMO.

If it was up to me, he would have been sacked 6 months ago after the Confed Cup playoff debacle.

But Gulati seems to love him, so I can't see him leaving now unless they absolutely flame out in the group stage.

Which they very well might

At this point I am just hoping he doesn't get extended through the next cycle.

A combination of Colombia not losing and USA losing today would eliminate USA. But I think they'll be able to win against Costa Rica.

US is out with a loss regardless. The other match is guaranteed to have a team with at least 4 points.

Tagyhag

Only reason I'm hoping US loses. If they make it to at least the semis he's not going anywhere.

Also, the only way Mexico is winning this tournament is if Argentina is knocked out early.

There's been no indication to this point that the performance of the team, either in terms of result or style of play, has any bearing on his job security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom