• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

NH Apache

Banned
Been a hot minute since I followed the US team. Tonight is a good time to jump back in. I'll be eating tacos while watching the Ticos lose (I hope!).

After the first round I'd say:

1- Mexico
2- Colombia
3- Uruguay
4- Brazil/Ecuador
6- Argentina

All of them have their flawes though. Argentina vs Chile was the less professional match I've seen in a while.

However I can see Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina, reaching the finals. Colombia always trembles before top teams, Uruguay tends to lose with lesser teams, Chile seems lost, Ecuador might be a surprise.

Looking at the way everyone played during this first round, yes way they are above Argentina & Colombia.

Of course, that can change over the next matches, but so far Mexico has been the most solid team.

That's what I meant. Mexico had its fair share of troubles though, it was outmatched by Uruguay with -1 player, but presented the most cohesive play overall. Argentina was a mess but we have some players with killer skills that can change a match in a second. Brazil treats the ball well but it's very weak on the offensive, it's still Brazil though.
Colombia always piss in their pants when under pressure, besides it relies on counter attacks way too much for how bad they defend.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Ecuador might be a surprise.

They're making it to the semis at least! I have the inside scoop because I have an Ecuadorian friend.

For real though I hope they do well, they certainly have some skill.

That's what I meant. Mexico had its fair share of troubles though, it was outmatched by Uruguay with -1 player, but presented the most cohesive play overall. Argentina was a mess but we have some players with killer skills that can change a match in a second. Brazil treats the ball well but it's very weak on the offensive, it's still Brazil though.
Colombia always piss in their pants when under pressure, besides it relies on counter attacks way too much for how bad they defend.

Overall, I agree.

Mexico also always dies in semis, no matter what, but I don't like to speculate. The question is who was the best team after the first round, and to me without a single doubt, the answer is: Mexico.

We'll see what happens next.

I saw Mexico having trouble with Uruguay (up until the last few minutes) with its A game and Argentina toying with Chile.

1. Argentina
2. Mexico
3. Brazil
4. Colombia

Even if Brazil never quite shows its pedigree, even with mediocre plays they tend to get to the top.

1 - Argentina
2 - Colombia
3 - Mexico
4 - Everything else

Close. I'd go:

1. Argentina
2. Mexico
3. Uruguay
4. Colombia
5. Everyone else.

Yeah Argentina was a bit of a mess but considering they dispatched Chile convincingly without Messi or starting Aguaro means they're the most dangerous team I've seen so far.

Brazil and the US are probably the biggest disappointments so far after the first round of group play..

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I still bet on Colombia to win this. If they fuck it up early though then it's between Mexico and Argentina with Mexico having a bit of upper hand.

What do you mean with the asterisk part? O_O
The only Copa America Colombia has won was played locally. Argentina refused to participate citing security concerns (when even the guerrillas directly stated they wouldn't interfere with the tournament, as they've always done) and Brazil brought a team of nobodies.

No one knows why Argentina decided not to participate since they've never had issues playing in the country, but a cup without Argentina (and Brazil with its real deal) is no real cup.

The only Copa America Colombia has won was played locally. Argentina refused to participate citing security concerns (when even the guerrillas directly stated they wouldn't interfere with the tournament, as they've always done) and Brazil brought a team of nobodies.

No one knows why Argentina decided not to participate since they've never had issues playing in the country, but a cup without Argentina (and Brazil with its real deal) is no real cup.

Ahh I see. Thanks for the clarification, I've totally forgotten about that.

My predictions after we've seen every team play:

5NCb84E.png

vE7EZf6.png

cXcjFMa.png

I'm not biased I swear

Same lineup for the US :/

#USMNT lineup: Guzan; Yedlin, Cameron, Brooks, Johnson; Jones, Bradley, Bedoya; Zardes, Dempsey, Wood. #USAvCRC

Same lineup for the US :/

#USMNT lineup: Guzan; Yedlin, Cameron, Brooks, Johnson; Jones, Bradley, Bedoya; Zardes, Dempsey, Wood. #USAvCRC

I don't think its necessarily a bad thing. Bradley and Jones can't play any worse than they did the other night. I bet Klinsmann will have a shorter leash on some of his guys in this match.

TBF the US has historically been good about bouncng back in situations like this. But then I remember how lifeless we were at the Gold Cup.

I predict someone will score a goal. Maybe with their foot.

smoothj

About to buy tickets for the quarterfinals at Levis. If Mexico wins the group they'll play there.

They need to win Thursday and Uruguay and Venezuela draw.

In a vacuum, I don't think it's a bad USMNT lineup, but given how dysfunctional it was on Friday, I don't think I'd trot it out again.

Dinokill

This is for the people worrying about attendance.

Chile 2015

Attendance 655,902 (25,227 per match) in 26 matches

USA 2016 so far

323,623 (40,453 per match) in 8 matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom