• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.
One reason why an always in the US tournement wouldn't surprise me.

The competition is a celebration of the centenary of CONMEBOL and the Copa América, and is the first Copa América hosted outside of South America.

And I just remembered another Gold Cup is next year. Got to secure that .5 Confed Cup spot.

Clydefrog

Mexico will probably win the tournament if they throw enough beer in the stands, shit on the field, and lasers in the goalies' eyes.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The old Copa America needs to die. This unified Cup is much better.

I agree they should merge the Gold Cup and Copa America into one tournament.

how successful this tournament has been so far?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mexico will probably win the tournament if they throw enough beer in the stands, shit on the field, and lasers in the goalies' eyes.
I mean, I know you guys joke about that, but at least we aren't starting fights in French streets.

Who was the person who compared Mexican fans to hooligans earlier in this thread?

image.php

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So now likely brackets, of course, dependent on Mexico getting at a least a tie vs Venezuela and Chile getting at a least a tie vs Panama.

USA
Ecuador

Argentina
Venezuela

Brazil
Colombia

Mexico
Chile

The second bracket looks MUCH more difficult and hard to predict, while the first one is made for Argentina.
I refuse to believe this isn't somehow the work of Julio Grondona's ghost.

The old Copa America needs to die. This unified Cup is much better.

Agreed. I'm all for a Copa Westeros.

What's great about this tournament is that the entire Western hemisphere has a vested interest in it. And outside of Haiti and Donaldson, CONCACAF has shown themselves to be solid opponents. We've taken down Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia and Colombia's b-squad. And Venezuela should get added to the list tomorrow. Our stronger CONCACAF teams are definitely equal to the low/mid level CONMEBOL teams, which makes for an interesting/balanced tournament.

Also as others have pointed out, it gives us a high profile unified tournament on this side of the pond. A Copa Westeros every 4 years, 2 years before a WC sounds about right. It gives a chance for teams to go into WC qualifying more prepared since they get to play meaningful competitive games against outside competition. Outside of the Confederations Cup (which we didn't qualify for), we don't play any Non-CONCACAF teams in competitive matches until the WC rolls around every 4 years. It's hard for us to measure our progress when we can only setup friendlies against Germany or the Netherland's "B" or "C" squads. Having a Copa Westeros will make sure we have a regular barometer to test the quality of our USMNT roster going into WC qualifying.

And yeah going back to annual Gold Cups against CONCACAF minnows is just not going to cut it anymore. We've been spoiled.

Eila

For what it's worth, I'm interested in it because I don't think it's ever happened.

It even happened in a Copa America, back in 1995. It's also happened in WC 1994 as well as several Gold Cup and Confederations Cup. The only win by the US was in Gold Cup 1998. 17 losses (including friendlies). Ouch. 1-0-9 is the official record.

Meanwhile Mexico holds a much more decorable 7-1-9 official record vs them ☺

v1lla21

Clydefrog with the truthfacts. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯

I didn't get to see the games yesterday but lol. What a turn of events.

Agreed. I'm all for a Copa Westeros.

What's great about this tournament is that the entire Western hemisphere has a vested interest in it. And outside of Haiti and Donaldson, CONCACAF has shown themselves to be solid opponents. We've taken down Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia and Colombia's b-squad. And Venezuela should get added to the list tomorrow. Our stronger CONCACAF teams are definitely equal to the low/mid level CONMEBOL teams, which makes for an interesting/balanced tournament.

Also as others have pointed out, it gives us a high profile unified tournament on this side of the pond. A Copa Westeros every 4 years, 2 years before a WC sounds about right. It gives a chance for teams to go into WC qualifying more prepared since they get to play meaningful competitive games against outside competition. Outside of the Confederations Cup (which we didn't qualify for), we don't play any Non-CONCACAF teams in competitive matches until the WC rolls around every 4 years. It's hard for us to measure our progress when we can only setup friendlies against Germany or the Netherland's "B" or "C" squads. Having a Copa Westeros will make sure we have a regular barometer to test the quality of our USMNT roster going into WC qualifying.

And yeah going back to annual Gold Cups against CONCACAF minnows is just not going to cut it anymore. We've been spoiled.

Gold Cup and a South America cup will still happen and I think it should. It will qualify a Concacaf and a conmebol team to the Confed cup. However, nothing should get in the way of a unified recurring Concacaf/Conmebol cup every 4 years. If I had it my way, I would have concacaf/conmebol continue their tournaments and add this on top of it, which would take place the same year and and around the same time as the euro cup.

Going forward, then, it would be 2017 gold cup, 2019 gold cup and copa america, 2020 conmebol/concacaf cup, 2021 gold cup, 2023 gold cup and copa america, 2024 conmebol/concacaf cup, etc.

Also, why you say this is Colombia's B team? AFAIK it's very much their A squad.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Gold Cup and a South America cup will still happen and I think it should. It will qualify a Concacaf and a conmebol team to the Confed cup. However, nothing should get in the way of a unified recurring Concacaf/Conmebol cup every 4 years. If I had it my way, I would have concacaf/conmebol continue their tournaments and add this on top of it, which would take place the same year and and around the same time as the euro cup.

Going forward, then, it would be 2017 gold cup, 2019 gold cup and copa america, 2020 conmebol/concacaf cup, 2021 gold cup, 2023 gold cup and copa america, 2024 conmebol/concacaf cup, etc.

That would be good as a World Cup tune-up.

Also, why you say this is Colombia's B team? AFAIK it's very much their A squad.

It wasn't the same 11 they beat the US and Paraguay with. Had they played that 11 they wouldn't have lost and wouldn't be staring down what looks to be Brazil in the first knockout game.

GunBR

Ecuador gonna get an easy win

Really excited about Brazil vs Peru.
I really can't see this Peru B-team beat Brazil B-team, but anything can happen on football

Well fuck Peru is now forced to beat Brazil to stay alive. Can we do this? Not sure we can do this...

If you play like you did against Ecuador, of course you can. You did a wonderful job there.

Seriously, I pull my hair everytime somebody here is "Brasi this...", "Brasil that...". Brasil has been shit for several years, and in this Copa is merely OK.

Neymar is the only truly world class player they have, and he's out. Of course the rest are more than competent, but as a team, they haven't shown anything special.

Now, if Perú players crap in their pants and do nothing remotely similar to what they did in the previous matches, well... Brasil has a chance.

As a chilean, I'm rooting for Perú. They play beautifully when they want.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Chilean reporters covering the event say the average american doesn't give a rat ass about it, so I'd say it's niche.
Soccer fans are surely into it. It's just that many people here, especially those you see represented in the media, are not soccer fans. But America is so diverse every team seems to have thousands of supporters at each match which is cool.

Soccer fans are surely into it. It's just that many people here, especially those you see represented in the media, are not soccer fans. But America is so diverse every team seems to have thousands of supporters at each match which is cool.

Maybe I'm wrong, but everytime somebody asks this, I think they refer to "true" americans and not latinos living in America who for sure, love football.

Basically, what a lot of people wants to know is if the average american that grew loving Baseball, Basketball and American Football, has developed or not a love for football (soccer) which would be a huge indicator that the fanbase is growing.

Ziek

So I'm at the Peru v Brazil game now. I don't know anything about how this works. Like how do they decide which players from Brazil play? I don't see Neymar here.

Also what does winning the Copa mean for the teams? Any implications on future matches?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom