• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter Strike: Global Offensive The Arms Deal Update

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
slide_esports.jpg

lol the top left. Takashi Murakami x Fabrique Nationale

jediyoshi

So wait, lemme get this straight..

Random cases are going to spawn at random spots in the levels? Won't this lead people simply ignore the map objectives and just search for stuff instead? Won't this also lead to more Team Killings? Why bother with defuse/rescue when you could just kill for those weapon cases..?

No. It'll be like TF2.

Miker

So wait, lemme get this straight..

Random cases are going to spawn at random spots in the levels? Won't this lead people simply ignore the map objectives and just search for stuff instead? Won't this also lead to more Team Killings? Why bother with defuse/rescue when you could just kill for those weapon cases..?

I thought it just "dropped," i.e. showed up on your screen, upon death.

shuri

Banned
As people just idle in a server or run around in circles not trying (this happens a lot in TF2 with collectors) they will get random drops directly into their inventory - nothing actually drops in the game world.
This isn't as bad then, but still kinda lame. They should be random rewards for doing stuff. Like if you survive a certain amount of rounds, or get a certain k/d ratio, or eliminate half a squad all by yourself. Doing such feats would get you a random box instead. Actually, maybe that's how it works; maybe getting high scores will increase your chances of getting stuff.

Or they should go all out and go for a xp system like in COD... But then again Valve isn't doing this for game play enhancements reasons, it's just more fodder for their trading market.

Chronoja

This isn't as bad then, but still pretty lame. They should be random rewards for doing stuff. Like if you survive a certain amount of rounds, or get a certain k/d ratio, or eliminate half a squad all by yourself. Doing such feats would get you a random box instead.

Or they should go all out and go for a xp system like in COD... But then again Valve isn't doing this for game play enhancements reasons, it's just more fodder for their trading market.

That would just lead to the same problem tf2 was in, achievement farming. The last thing CS:GO needs is servers full of people "performing" feats in order to get boxes of stuff to sell for money.

This isn't as bad then, but still pretty lame. They should be random rewards for doing stuff. Like if you survive a certain amount of rounds, or get a certain k/d ratio, or eliminate half a squad all by yourself. Doing such feats would get you a random box instead.

Tying drops to achievements make people stop playing the game right in order to farm achievements and it tends to be a terrible idea. And no thanks for to an xp system.

Adding drops to game feats would do less to enhance gameplay and more to set up abusive scenarios to obtain them.

Qassim

Only a matter of time before they repeat what they did with TF2:

Step #1 - Release way too powerful gun
Step #2 - Collect money from everyone buying that gun
Step #3 - Nerf that gun
Step #4 - Repeat process with new gun

The balance of counter-strike can be thrown off completely with very minor changes. If they even begin to do this, the game will die a rapid death.

They can get away with it in TF2 cause.. it's TF2.

Forkball

So I guess we know what will be the weekend deal on Thursday.

Doesn't seem too crazy, pretty similar to what they're doing with TF2 and Dota. Having the kills actually listed on the weapon is pretty cool though.

The Cowboy

You're concerned about people making themselves slightly more visible?

You take it a bit too seriously if you want harmless weapon skins omitted from modes as if they're an actual interference to the game itself.

There's a reason tourneys ban skins in games like CS, these "harmless" brightly coloured skins do indeed give a gameplay advantage/disadvantage (I can choose to not use them, but I can't exactly choose to get the teammate standing beside me with the bright orange AWP to not use). These skins are OK for the deathmatch modes etc BUT should never be in the 2 classic modes (I don't consider people running around with bright orange weapons very classic competitive).

Like I said, keep this stuff in the non serious modes and out of the serious/semi serious ones - these things have no place in these 2 modes.

There's a reason tourneys ban skins in games like CS, these "harmless" brightly coloured skins do indeed give a gameplay advantage/disadvantage (I can choose to not use them, but I can't exactly choose to get the teammate standing beside me with the bright orange AWP to not use). These skins are OK for the deathmatch modes etc BUT should never be in the 2 classic modes (I don't consider people running around with bright orange weapons very classic competitive).

Like I said, keep this stuff in the non serious modes and out of the serious/semi serious ones - these things have no place in these 2 modes.
There's a big difference between say, using a skin to make all CTs/Ts a solid lime green to you specifically and using a skin on your weapon for all to see. Put as much concern over your teammates using such supposed disadvantages as them running around only using a knife.

Let the kneejerk reaction subside and you might find that it's not a big deal. Keep your own weapons plain if it's that much of a concern and use the opponent's vanity to your benefit.

Valygar

I've played a match in Nuke with the new patch, competitive but with a team of "high silver" to 1 star... we are not BAD, but we haven't really played 1.6 that much.

The silencer weapons are so FUN. The sound is very rewarding. Also, I feel they are a very good weapon against not armoured teams, so it may be very good in CT-sided maps (like nuke was) and long distances.

We did not get any drops, I would love it to be Dota2-wise (once every 3-4 games)

Ehhh... these skins don't seem nearly as interesting as the item drops in Dota2 or TF2. It's cool and all but I don't see myself caring much about this.

feel

Fucking awesome, love all these additions to an already awesome ga-WAIT MATCHMAKING SERVERS TO SEGREGATE THE BRAZILIANS???? :-O OMG VALVE <3

Yep. I want to play Team Fortress 2 again like it was when it was released. Now they are going to ruin GO too?

It seemed interesting when I first read about the update; as someone that doesn't play TF2 I don't really know the ins and outs of it all. Guess I should be worried about this if I love CS?

I don't play as much as I used to, years ago. Felt like this would be something interesting to do while getting wrecked by everyone. Now I don't know...

Only a matter of time before they repeat what they did with TF2:

Step #1 - Release way too powerful gun
Step #2 - Collect money from everyone buying that gun
Step #3 - Nerf that gun
Step #4 - Repeat process with new gun

I'm actually going to take you to task on this

name me a specific time Valve did this for TF2. Specific. The update, the weapon, the update that nerfed it and then the next update the repeated the cycle.

It seemed interesting when I first read about the update; as someone that doesn't play TF2 I don't really know the ins and outs of it all. Guess I should be worried about this if I love CS?

I don't play as much as I used to, years ago. Felt like this would be something interesting to do while getting wrecked by everyone. Now I don't know...

No, TF2 is the best it's ever been. You have nothing to worry about, people just love to go to extremes with TF2 like every patch was the death of the game when that's the furthest from the truth.

BIG difference between this and TF2: you can pick up weapons.

So that guy paid 10&#8364; to get his custom weapon? I just killed him and got it for myself.

Much more dynamic and the need to get "exclusive skins" is weaker than, let's say, having tf2 items.

Unless i'm wrong (haven't seen a custom gun yet).

Yeah I played off and on with breaks for about a year. After I would login after a year of not playing I would be like "What is this crap?". I still don't understand some of the stuff in there now with the items and crafting. All I know is that I would always get items for classes I would never want to play.

Wok

BIG difference between this and TF2: you can pick up weapons.

So that guy paid 10€ to get his custom weapon? I just killed him and got it for myself.

Much more dynamic and the need to get "exclusive skins" is weaker than, let's say, having tf2 items.

Unless i'm wrong (haven't seen a custom gun yet).

There are two weapons with silencers in your inventory.

Only thing i'm not a fan off is the way they handled the silenced weapons. Why not just make it a right click like before? Why make me navigate another submenu to switch between the 2. If you want two separate weapons why not add them both to the radial menu. I just don't get it.

Yeah I played off and on with breaks for about a year. After I would login after a year of not playing I would be like "What is this crap?". I still don't understand some of the stuff in there now with the items and crafting. All I know is that I would always get items for classes I would never want to play.

that's just returning to a game that is constantly updated, not any sort of testament to the game's quality or its updates.
I recently started playing Chivalry again, and hadn't since a week or so after it was released, and I had the same thoughts about it, that it was too different. But it doesn't mean the game is worse than it was the year before.

This update is a start to something huge for CS:GO.

I'm actually going to take you to task on this

name me a specific time Valve did this for TF2. Specific. The update, the weapon, the update that nerfed it and then the next update the repeated the cycle.

Between patches there is always a gun that everybody was using until the next update. I don't remember the names of all the guns. I haven't played in a while because of this reason. I can probably play for an hour right now and figure out the busted gun that probably was recently added to the store.

Only thing i'm not a fan off is the way they handled the silenced weapons. Why not just make it a right click like before? Why make me navigate another submenu to switch between the 2. If you want two separate weapons why not add them both to the radial menu. I just don't get it.
That is pretty dumb. While the silenced models retain the ability to remove the silencers and start with them attached, why bother with this loadout screen equipping which functional versions of the USP and M4 you want? They should keep it all within the buy menu.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Thank god for the silencers, don't know why we need to lose ammo capacity for that though. Later on i'll grab a skin or two from the marketplace for a few cents, sa'll good.

that's just returning to a game that is constantly updated, not any sort of testament to the game's quality or its updates.
I recently started playing Chivalry again, and hadn't since a week or so after it was released, and I had the same thoughts about it, that it was too different. But it doesn't mean the game is worse than it was the year before.

I want to play a game where there is a small set of balanced weapons. I want to know easily what my opponent has so I can counter. I have no desire to grind or pay to get better weapons. So the game I paid for is no longer the game I want to play. Would like an option to play the game I enjoyed as it was released. It is subjective but it isn't better for me.

That is pretty dumb. While the silenced models retain the ability to remove the silencers and start with them attached, why bother with this loadout screen equipping which functional versions of the USP and M4 you want? They should keep it all within the buy menu.

Yeah. i just can't see a good reason for it. Hopefully it gets enough backlash that they fix it.

Wok

I have read you have less ammo with the weapon which has a suppressor.

Its magazine size is also 20. Unless you just mull around in pubs, it's not much of a trade off.

they don't want you to have both options within a match is my educated guess.

they don't want you to have both options within a match is my educated guess.
You can swap out your loadout while dead, so while you can go between the two versions within a match, it's just a little clumsy and does seem to hint that they're going to be releasing more functionally different guns down the line. Hmm.

I have read you have less ammo with the weapon which has a suppressor.
There are ammo and accuracy differences, but I thought they'd be variants you could choose from within the buy menu.

because of Valve adding cosmetic weapon skins and 2 silenced variations of existing weapons? c'mon.

Talking about Team Fortress 2 there. These changes are nothing but it is just the beginning of CS:GO going F2P and then having unbalanced weapons to buy/craft.

You can swap out your loadout while dead, so while you can go between the two versions within a match, it's just a little clumsy and does seem to hint that they're going to be releasing more functionally different guns down the line. Hmm.

I feel the same way and feel that is just bad. I don't want to decide a loadout before going into a game. I want everything laid out just like before. seems odd to do this for just two guns. The entire implementation is there for them to do it for more but it's hard enough to get the perfect balance for whats there.

Top Bottom