• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter Strike: Global Offensive The Arms Deal Update

Clydefrog

Does anyone have the numbers on the new guns? In the past, I remember reading a spreadsheet that had actual stats (i.e. damage, damage without armor, accuracy, recoil, etc) on all the guns.

I want to play a game where there is a small set of balanced weapons. I want to know easily what my opponent has so I can counter. I have no desire to grind or pay to get better weapons. So the game I paid for is no longer the game I want to play. Would like an option to play the game I enjoyed as it was released. It is subjective but it isn't better for me.

If they'd add that option nobody would play it. That's just fact based on how many "great" stock only servers die within a week.

There are no "better" weapons in TF2, just as there won't be better weapons in CSGO, and certainly not from this update.

I'm actually going to take you to task on this

name me a specific time Valve did this for TF2. Specific. The update, the weapon, the update that nerfed it and then the next update the repeated the cycle.

I think I remember the Cow Mangler being OP when it was first released, and then it was nerfed in a later patch.

d0g_bear

I will probably play this when it goes F2P. And I'll probably buy a crate key or whatever. You win, valve!

edit - shit this is the post that made me a full member? Fuck I wish it were better

I think I remember the Cow Mangler being OP when it was first released, and then it was nerfed in a later patch.

It only had a 5% reload penalty added to it, it always had its other downsides, they were just hidden and so it looked way better than it was.

It's always been a mediocre item. So much so it was buffed beyond what it was at release last month and it's still slightly underpowered. People just got all in arms for what they thought was overpowered because everyone and their uncle was using it because it had cool particles and you can have laser wars.

But accidents happen and poorly balanced items get released. But to assume there's some money making scheme at hand with balance is absurd. There were overpowered weapons nerfed day 2 in TF2 long before they sold anything but the game. Then to assume that same conspiracy will effect CSGO because they added some unlockable camos and stat counters on knives is really out there.

While I think it would be wise to go f2p to get more people to switch over, the game is absolutely worth the price as is, and there seems to be regular sales making it dirt cheap. There's really no reason to wait if you're interested at all.

That being said, maybe f2p next summer?

Agreed. I paid retail back when it was first released. Such a good purchase.

Skins are showing up on the market now.

They have a "View in game" button on the listing that shows the skinned model in a non-interactive pan around the model set on a weapon rack/shelf. The listing also has some kinda wear descriptor... "Field Tested", "Battle Worn" or some such. I haven't taken the time to re-pop the OS X version to see how these different wears look in the viewer.

God has answered my prayers!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations. Now they need to add matchmaking servers in Russia.

There's a reason tourneys ban skins in games like CS, these "harmless" brightly coloured skins do indeed give a gameplay advantage/disadvantage (I can choose to not use them, but I can't exactly choose to get the teammate standing beside me with the bright orange AWP to not use). These skins are OK for the deathmatch modes etc BUT should never be in the 2 classic modes (I don't consider people running around with bright orange weapons very classic competitive).

Like I said, keep this stuff in the non serious modes and out of the serious/semi serious ones - these things have no place in these 2 modes.

What advantage do you gain from having a brightly coloured skin? I am also curious as to what maps and what situations you are talking about where having a team mate with a bright orange AWP will affect you?

so buying a key gets me weapon skins? or do I have to get a crate to drop first?

Keys only open crates, which are randomly given to you. You should wait for a drop, or possibly wait for keys to go on sale.

It seemed interesting when I first read about the update; as someone that doesn't play TF2 I don't really know the ins and outs of it all. Guess I should be worried about this if I love CS?

I don't play as much as I used to, years ago. Felt like this would be something interesting to do while getting wrecked by everyone. Now I don't know...

I wouldn't worry. CS:GO will probably follow Dota 2, not TF2. CS is too dependent on balance to throw too much stuff into the mix.

Here are all the slides, no longer sliding for your viewing pleasure:
slide_assault.jpg

slide_office.jpg

slide_nuke.jpg

slide_militia.jpg

slide_inferno.jpg

slide_vertigo.jpg

slide_aztec.jpg

slide_dust.jpg

slide_esports.jpg

slide_arms.jpg

Mileena

Banned
M4 with 20 bullets, meh it's nice and sorta easy to spray but I'll stick with the vanilla for multi-kill potential. Sad to say I just did a matchmaking infested with Brazilians so they're not even using their servers. Fucking goddamn people, I hate them so much.

edit: USP is awesome, P2shit will never be used again!

Grayman

Totally digging the flame desert eagle. Would be good to have a cvar to disable all cosmetics for serious purposes.

feel

Liking the new stuff from the bit I played, for example inspecting weapons ingame with the F key is awesome, and so is the fact that weapons display the owners name if you didnt buy it. But first person weapon animations are choppy/glitchy as fuck now, inventory UI is awkward to use and looks like crap, so do the knives now just dangerously hanging from the player model unholstered, and the silenced weapons need to be put in the buy wheel and not be an inventory option. Volvo pls fix asap.

Hugstable

Banned
CHeck out my steam inventory in my profile, just got some PP-Bison Carbon Fiber skin to drop from one of the sets! Pretty awesome! I'm trying it out right now and it actually looks nice with a badass Carbon Fiber design.

Hugstable

Banned
And I just got a case like 30 mins after the gun skin lol. From the sounds of it skins have been dropping with a case not to long after playing for around 3-4 hours.

Hugstable

Banned
So, drops are just like dota and tf2 right, random items + crates?

Pretty much yeah. You can't idle for them though, they seem to come at the end of a complete match. From what I've seen they've been dropping after about 4 hours for people both a skin and crate. Got myself a PP-Bison Carbon Fiber and a Famas DoomKitty

Omega

Banned
if anyone doesn't already know, M4 Silenced counts towards M4 kills. Seems obvious but the people I was playing pubs with kept saying it didnt.

I'm actually enjoying the update. Fun to see skins drop after a round and so far the brightest skin I've seen it a bright purple ak and it really doesn't detract from the games tone when spectating in 3rd person.

RS4-

So the drop rate is something like 2/24 hrs? At least this what I've heard. I've only had 2 drops personally. Esports crate and five seven jungle skin

Update seems to have been doing well. Game is peaking at around 50k which is much higher than before. Also 2 drops a day seems pretty accurate it's been about what I'm getting.

mrhGB

Banned
So I traded some Dota 2 keys for this game and I'm having an issue. The game will blackscren for maybe 5 - 10 seconds then come back, when it comes back my FPS has halved and I need to restart the game. My drivers are updated, nothing is overheating and I have a very high spec machine. It honestly feels like a driver crash but I'm not getting any notification. Does anyone have a solution?

Wok

So I traded some Dota 2 keys for this game and I'm having an issue. The game will blackscren for maybe 5 - 10 seconds then come back, when it comes back my FPS has halved and I need to restart the game. My drivers are updated, nothing is overheating and I have a very high spec machine. It honestly feels like a driver crash but I'm not getting any notification. Does anyone have a solution?

Is it randomly? Do you have Skype opened in the background? When the game is running fine, can you Alt+Tab?

Try asking in the official thread.

mrhGB

Banned
Is it randomly? Do you have Skype opened in the background? When the game is running fine, can you Alt+Tab?

Totally random, sometimes it doesn't happen at all. And I don't have anything in the background. Yes I can alt tab.

Apparently it is a driver crash but the message doesn't show when in fullscreen for CS:GO.

Totally random, sometimes it doesn't happen at all. And I don't have anything in the background. Yes I can alt tab.

Apparently it is a driver crash but the message doesn't show when in fullscreen for CS:GO.

Might be a longshot but do you see a iehighutil.exe in the taskbar (or ieloutil.exe or something in those lines)?

Top Bottom