• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter Strike: GO - Debut Trailer, Preview and Gameplay

_woLf

I asked a bunch of Valve staff today at their booth at PAX what their main goal was with CS:GO, and why they didn't just go with a brand new game instead of essentially for the most part just reskinning the game.

Their reply: They wanted it on consoles.

Good enough for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
kodt said:
I haven't seen any yet, I am hoping you still can. That is a big part of CS.

I hope it's akin to CS 1.6 in that you can awp through 5 meters of concrete. :p

_woLf said:
I asked a bunch of Valve staff today at their booth at PAX what their main goal was with CS:GO, and why they didn't just go with a brand new game instead of essentially for the most part just reskinning the game.

Their reply: They wanted easy money.

Good enough for me.

fixed.

Xanadu said:
maybe cause..IT IS COUNTERSTRIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, but that's not the point.

The point is that it doesn't look like anything other than a (small) graphical update.

ArjanN

Raide said:
Yikes. Are you sure someone did not load up a copy of CoD 1?

I think the game itself looks fine, that video is only terrible because of the controller play and the guy talking.

Raide

ArjanN said:
I think the game itself looks fine, that video is only terrible because of the controller play and the guy talking.

Are we ok with it just being fine, just because its CS? I can understand Valve want to expand the audience to Console gamers but the FPS market is already pretty crowded. CS fans might like it because its CS but it looks old-school and not in a good way.

StuBurns

Banned
Raide said:
Are we ok with it just being fine, just because its CS? I can understand Valve want to expand the audience to Console gamers but the FPS market is already pretty crowded. CS fans might like it because its CS but it looks old-school and not in a good way.
To be fair, he's trying to awp on sticks, he's making it look bad. There will be play styles that work inherently better with gamepads, lots of spraying while running etc probably.

Raide

StuBurns said:
To be fair, he's trying to awp on sticks, he's making it look bad. There will be play styles that work inherently better with gamepads, lots of spraying while running etc probably.

It will be interesting to see if it really takes off. Just crank up the sensitivity and off we go. :D

Chinner

Banned
Touch said:
It's funny that the first thing you hear is someone say is "get that no scope". I know they are not playing serious and whatnot but still... most likely a sign of things to come from the Xbox version.
yeah, well the land of xbox is full of a special brand of gamer. you know the type, arrogant, sexist, racist, homophobic and dane cook fans.

crimsonheadGCN said:
It's not being made by Valve. It's being developed mainly by Hidden Path Entertainment, which is the company that developed Defense Grid and have been given the task of keeping Counter-Strike: Source updated for the last year and half.

This explains everything.

Personally I really don't think that much of valve anymore as a development studio. There are great businessmen over there, but developers? They created Half-Life 1, and that's about it. Every other game they released, was already a mod and created by other developers. Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, DOTA, Portal even Left 4 Dead was inspired by the several zombie mods that were around. So tell me. What's valve's original output pf the last years.

Basically nothing besides Half-Life content and a cartoon styled Team Fortress. This CS:GO is just another example for valve running creativly on fumes.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't see the difference between hiring whole development teams and hiring specific people to build teams. They still look at what the person has done. To have taste and backing to find and buy the people making great games is essential. Those teams are at Valve now, they still are those creative people.

Outside of L4D, as that studio broke back off again (speaking of which, how they can claim a 98% staff retention rate after that is really unbelievable).

ArjanN

Raide said:

I am. And I think people are really underestimating how much the rebalancing stuff/new weapons and such will change the game.

And the game probably won't be huge hit on consoles, but I couldn't care less about the console versions anyway.

Why is it so foggy in the distance? Watched a few vids and its noticeable in quite a few maps, I hope they clear that up. Unless its an artistic choice in which case I don't like.

Watching more of these videos the first thing i notice is the windows that let in light into de_dust hallway look like they are open. It will be a little unbalanced if T's or CT's can lob nades through those windows. They also moved the plant at B bombsite way up. It's now right inside of the arch instead of back by CT spawn.

MrKnives

godisturbed said:
Why is it so foggy in the distance? Watched a few vids and its noticeable in quite a few maps, I hope they clear that up. Unless its an artistic choice in which case I don't like.

I wonder if this is the old build. Source players who tested it said that it was very foggy because the devs wanted that kinda "strategic" play but the pro players convinced them to give up on the idea and they removed it.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
What's so bad about that video expect the douches obnoxiously shouting. The game looks good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
DerZuhälter said:
This explains everything.

Personally I really don't think that much of valve anymore as a development studio. There are great businessmen over there, but developers? They created Half-Life 1, and that's about it. Every other game they released, was already a mod and created by other developers. Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, DOTA, Portal even Left 4 Dead was inspired by the several zombie mods that were around. So tell me. What's valve's original output pf the last years.

Basically nothing besides Half-Life content and a cartoon styled Team Fortress. This CS:GO is just another example for valve running creativly on fumes.

Lumping Portal and L4D in with the games that exist as they do today much the same as they did prior to Valve snapping up the team is utterly disingenuous. You may as well lump Half-Life in with those seeing as it's a marriage of Doom and System Shock.

Edit: What I mean is, you have a point, but whereas TF, CS, DoD and DotA were pre-existing games that Valve built upon (well, mods, but they differentiated themselves enough from their parent product that they were games in their own right), Portal and L4D are, despite their respective inspirations, very much their own unique IPs.

Victarion

i27072_counter-strike-global-off1-007.jpg

It says "Freeman was here", it is written in Persian, strange since the name of the street is written in Arabic.

vocab

I love how all this work is going into reworking de_dust and the end result will be the same for competitive play. It will never be played. It's way too CT sided, and the amount of viable options T have are so bad that they get shut down by 5 well timed nades every time. Looking at those videos show me very few changes in terms of how the map is played.

Interested in seeing this new nuke, because their proposed changes do not address the main issues with the map.

Looks like CS to me, hopefully the console versions have some sort of "hardcore" mode replicating the pc version to the fullest but I doubt it.

And not having dedicated servers kills me inside (and the lack of mouse/kb support on PS3 when the support is there :/)

LCGeek

formerly sane
DopeyFish said:
there's a difference between jumping 6 feet and completely inaccurate gunplay and shitty hit boxes/zones/whatever bs name they have in CSS which cause the game to be a spray and pray mess

This is one of the biggest myths to CSS. As long as you don't mod your server or overload it to death with people CSS is way better with decent hardware. The interp commands alone give you more control and valve has documented the differences between 1.6, source, and source ob network commands. Don't like the floaty feeling get rid of lerp and use the right commands instead of 1.6 based tweaks that really only work on lan. If you use mousefix and rawinput you should have no issues with input system. Thousand of CSS players have no problem dealing with spray and pray types. If you can't then it's really on you or the server you're using is junk.

CSS has legitimate issues but this is bunk.

vocab said:
I love how all this work is going into reworking de_dust and the end result will be the same for competitive play. It will never be played. It's way too CT sided, and the amount of viable options T have are so bad that they get shut down by 5 well timed nades every time. Looking at those videos show me very few changes in terms of how the map is played.

I disagree. They have made such major changes to the underpass that I think it will really open up that side of the map. And everything that makes that side of the map easier for the T's opens up the A site even more.

If you look, it isnt just the stairway that has been added to underpass. There is now a plankway that leads from the ledge over to the CT sniping spot for underpass. Once T's take that area it would be pretty tough for CT's on the map. Also, the spot where you plant in B is so far forward now that T's can get there pretty quick from short hall exit.

kodt

Banned
I H8 Memes said:
Watching more of these videos the first thing i notice is the windows that let in light into de_dust hallway look like they are open. It will be a little unbalanced if T's or CT's can lob nades through those windows. They also moved the plant at B bombsite way up. It's now right inside of the arch instead of back by CT spawn.

Moving the bombsite was good, that bombsite was near impossible to get to in a real match.

Top Bottom