• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CourtRivals Season 4 thread!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Worthy is nothing more than product of the system! He & Mason are BUSTS

homer-eating-popcorn-small-c7873.jpg

pilonv1

Member
That's what I mean - he shouldn't have taken the coaching if that was the case. I don't mind him leaving, just the way it happened was poor.

pilonv1 said:
That's what I mean - he shouldn't have taken the coaching if that was the case. I don't mind him leaving, just the way it happened was poor.
He besmirches all of us GMs who put a full day's work in w/ scouting and coaching.

Meier

Member
Enron said:
in finding replacement players that won't take us back down to Playground levels since most decent players are already on teams.
Like I said, I'll be happy to have Preston join (averaged about 17.5 PPG last season). He's at 450 TP -- well in line with a typical high level College player right now.

OK, to clear up a few things:

1. I didn't beg to be coach. Branduil and Blackace asked to be coach. Branduil said that whoever has the most points (where points = points + rebounds + assists + steals - turnovers) will be coach. I jokingly said that the formula should apply to the entire team, so theoretically the outgoing Nick Van Exel could become coach. Maravich had a huge game (24 points and 12 rebounds IIRC), so I took the coach position.

2. I hadn't decided I was going to move before the season. In fact, I made the decision in an instant. Harold Miner revealed he was leaving, which meant we had a roster option open. After seeing ACEN's roster and inactivity (half of the people on it are Branduil right now), I figured I should be getting out while the getting's good. So I sent dcx a message asking if it was possible. He said sure. When I got on this morning, there were a bunch of messages from him asking me to join right away. Knowing a game was coming up soon (which I didn't want to miss), I did.

3. I posted about the Mark Price + Miner for John Stockton + Josh Howard on 2.0's board already mentioning that it was a fatal mistake to not execute the deal. ACEN would've been a great team had the deal gone through. Instead, they're Playground division A.

Finally, the reason I made the move is because this will be my last season. I don't see the point spending 10 bucks or whatever it is to play this shitty game if I'm not even going to make the playoffs.

I don't feel bad about leaving ACEN because frankly there's no sense of comeraderie over there anyway. Very little strategizing goes on and half the members are inactive.

As I posted on 2.0's private forum, I feel bad about leaving Jax, Kemp, Smush, Tarpley, and perhaps even Manute, but I never really grew to like Dirk (although he really picked it up with the rebounding chem).

In short, money talks, and I don't want to spend time trying to polish a turd. I would've loved for ACEN to be the team Mark Price and Maravich retired on, but Enron's inaction last season meant that could never happen. I understand why he made the move, and I can't fault him for it - it's just a historical fact. The move was made and now I'm on the other team.

lol
No, not really. It was jackass to decide to go AND WAIT until after the new season started, beg to be coach, and THEN screw us over in finding replacement players that won't take us back down to Playground levels since most decent players are already on teams.
Dude, we already were Playground A. We were playing Playground teams. What's the point in that? It's like starting season 2 all over again. If Meier/abellwillring joined ACEN more quickly (I wanted him to replace one of Branduil's low level players), I might've stuck around since at least a light would be at the end of a tunnel and we'd have a chance. But he didn't - hopefully he is now. Branduil or Blackace can take the helm of the team going forward. Both of them were more interested in being coach anyway and likely are more willing to devote the time necessary to finding new players.

Blackace said:
Just be nice for him to say.."Hey I am moving on" Instead of "Hey I want to be the coach" and then bailing after 2 games.. :lol
I feel a bit bad now, but it honestly didn't cross my mind. I got home from school, saw the PMs, and just hopped over (after copying Branduil's nice message on our boards re: what sliders really do).

I'm sorry I didn't care enough to say anything.
That's what I mean - he shouldn't have taken the coaching if that was the case. I don't mind him leaving, just the way it happened was poor.
It was a spur of the moment type thing. I saw what happened when the Price for Stockton deal didn't go through and I wanted to make sure that didn't happen again. I guess I'm just heartless?

if anyone dares leave OKC barons I will go their house and do terrible things to them

also, how DARE you call mason a bust. he's been the sparkplug for the bench!

viakado said:
there isn't enough popcorn for this man.
also, barons 3-0.
Another good win by 3, but we were outrebounded 65-39. BY 26? This can't continue, we are winning only because we are killing guys on D. Also what's got into Mase? 14 and 6 w/ 7-14 shooting!

Enron

Banned
Meier said:
Like I said, I'll be happy to have Preston join (averaged about 17.5 PPG last season). He's at 450 TP -- well in line with a typical high level College player right now.

i already pm'd you the info, fool! join up!

Also: Brandiul, kick off JET. I have Nick's login info so we can use him again.

pilonv1 said:
for someone who doesn't care about a game you sure typed up a lot of stuff!
I never said I didn't care about the game. I care about winning and getting a return on my investment. ACEN couldn't offer me that and another team could, so I left without a second thought. In retrospect, I guess it was a bit of an asshole move. But... I think that's part of why I did it anyway haha.

Enron

Banned
OpinionatedCyborg said:
[...]

So much bullshit.

You told me you wanted to jump halfway through season 3. You were already planning to do it.

Half of the players on acen are _NOT_ Branduil. His dudes were filler, and even with them it was 3 players. THREE. Which is not half of 10.

Basically, what happened, you wanted your dude to be the coach/star. Just like Gil's player. When it became apparent that Jax was the big scorer, and not you, you started thinking about the 2.0 move (midseason of s3) then told me if I didnt make the trade YOU wanted, you'd bail.

ACEN not active my ass. All of the owners in s3 were constantly communicating, either on IRC or on the forums. Nick, Manute and myself constantly talked on irc, for some reason they didnt post much. Blackace, Brandiul, pilonv, myself, rotary, birdman, and you all yakked on the forums. Earl the Pearl's owner went awol. That's 9 out of 10 players in constant, every day communication with the coach.

There's more than enough "strategizing" on our forums. I kinda got a "I want to be the coach" vibe from a couple of people, who will rename nameless, and its mainly the reason I quit being the coach. I didn't want to piss anyone off. If 2.0 does more "strategizing" than us, that's great. Where did it get them? For a "dead" team that doesn't ever "strategize", we must have been the luckiest fucking team ever to finish with the best record out of the GAF teams for two season in a row.

OK, im finished. You quit like a chump. Don't turn it around on us. I think finishing with the best record two years in a row more than puts to rest your little theory that we were inactive, with half of the team owned by one guy.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm so sick of hearing that ACEN won both seasons. The only reason you can claim a better record is because the Barons didn't cakewalk to the end of the season after the sweep (there are no .5 leads in any other league, tie records at the end of the season always mean that whoever won the head to head meetings takes the cake). On top of that, in the next season you got soundly beat by 2.0. You guys are the Tennessee of the GAF conference of CR. You think you're good because you're in good company, but in reality you're always second fiddle to someone else.

Lies!
Enron said:
So much bullshit.

You told me you wanted to jump halfway through season 3. You were already planning to do it.
Jump to 2.0? Or jump Price to ACEN? Leave the league? What are you talking about? I think I mentioned how I was likely going to quit after the season was over midway through season 3. The trade I suggested occurred pretty early in season 3. I don't recall ever saying I wanted to move Maravich to 2.0.

Half of the players on acen are _NOT_ Branduil. His dudes were filler, and even with them it was 3 players. THREE. Which is not half of 10.
It's close enough. 3 is still way too much. We became a Playground Team overnight.

Basically, what happened, you wanted your dude to be the star. Just like Gil's player. When it became apparent that Jax was the big scorer, and not you, you started thinking about the 2.0 move (midseason of s3) then told me if I didnt make some trade you'd think about leaving.
Again, I don't know what you're talking about.

Are you talking about me organizing the trade of Price + Miner for Stockton + Howard? That was a trade to bring my players to ACEN not the other way around. My motivation for that trade was to unite Price and Maravich, have a single team to cheer for (because the bickering between the two was annoying), and strengthen my (then) favoured team.

Also, I only care about fulfilling a specific role on my team. For Price, that's dishing assists, getting steals, providing leadership, and playing solid defense. For Maravich, it's scoring, being a decent rebounder, and having good leadership.

Here are a few points to refresh your memory:
* I said Jax > Maravich in the last thread
* I never complained about being a bench player on ACEN even though I had the most training points of anyone. Even when I was coach, Maravich was on the bench... Jax was better and it made no sense to play them together or switch their starting positions.
* I said that people value point production way too much in determining player quality
* I routinely said Maravich was playing poorly or that he was shit
* I voted Smush MVP first season
* Maravich will be a bench player on 2.0.

ACEN not active my ass. All of the owners in s3 were constantly communicating, either on IRC or on the forums. Nick, Manute and myself constantly talked on irc, for some reason they didnt post much. Blackace, Brandiul, pilonv, myself, rotary, birdman, and you all yakked on the forums. Earl the Pearl's owner went awol. That's 9 out of 10 players in constant, every day communication with the coach.
The boards were almost always dead until the start of this season. I wasn't aware that you guys were on IRC.

There's more than enough "strategizing" on our forums. I kinda got a "I want to be the coach" vibe from a couple of people, who will rename nameless, and its mainly the reason I quit being the coach. I didn't want to piss anyone off. If 2.0 does more "strategizing" than us, that's great. Where did it get them? For a "dead" team that doesn't ever "strategize", we must have been the luckiest fucking team ever to finish with the best record out of the GAF teams for two season in a row.
There was hardly any last season. To Branduil's credit, he's really stepped it up this year. ACEN wasn't the better team last year, don't delude yourself. 2.0 played better competition and beat better teams. I said that while I was still in ACEN, btw. It's simply a fact.

OK, im finished. You quit like a chump. Don't turn it around on us. I think finishing with the best record two years in a row more than puts to rest your little theory that we were inactive, with half of the team owned by one guy.
haha ACEN hasn't been better than 2.0 for a very long time. Why do you think I switched? Because I like them better? No, because they offer a better chance for me to get to the playoffs.

You take this so personally.

N-Bomb

Member
@Cyborg:

All I have to say is "Pretty low."

I may have retired, but Nick is no dick. This was not the way to go out, buddy.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
damn...... shit got real...it feels good doing things the right way....

i remember dcx's pms and emails on CR... i saved them just so i could remember how ridiculous them 2.0 boys get down....

we got rid of the dead weight, thanks to nasty ass leaving.... our future looks good, the right way... i do feel for acen... damn shame.wish we had space for you all

DY_nasty said:
I'm so sick of hearing that ACEN won both seasons. The only reason you can claim a better record is because the Barons didn't cakewalk to the end of the season after the sweep (there are no .5 leads in any other league, tie records at the end of the season always mean that whoever won the head to head meetings takes the cake). On top of that, in the next season you got soundly beat by 2.0. You guys are the Tennessee of the GAF conference of CR. You think you're good because you're in good company, but in reality you're always second fiddle to someone else.
VW-OhSnap.gif

DY_nasty said:
I'm so sick of hearing that ACEN won both seasons. The only reason you can claim a better record is because the Barons didn't cakewalk to the end of the season after the sweep (there are no .5 leads in any other league, tie records at the end of the season always mean that whoever won the head to head meetings takes the cake). On top of that, in the next season you got soundly beat by 2.0. You guys are the Tennessee of the GAF conference of CR. You think you're good because you're in good company, but in reality you're always second fiddle to someone else.
2.0 beat ACEN by one point and I recall ACEN absolutely tearing apart the Barons. In my eyes, 2.0 is easily the superior team, but ACEN played amazingly well at times last season. Give ACEN the GAF championship, but if you ask me who the better team is and was, I'll say 2.0 every time. I played on both, so I know.

Quixzlizx

Member
Enron said:
Basically, what happened, you wanted your dude to be the coach/star. Just like Gil's player.

Actually, I stopped playing because despite having my speed/shooting/defense as my maxed stats, and no matter how I adjusted my sliders, I tied for the least shots taken on the team for 3 straight games as a shooting guard, and I also had mediocre defensive stats. It had nothing to do with a bruised ego, but that the player I created wasn't useful at anything if he wasn't even going to take more than 4-6 shots a game or actually produce defensively. I would like you to cite where I complained about not being the top scorer on the team.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I look forward to taking down the machine I created with my own bare hands.

ACEN wasn't the better team last year, don't delude yourself. 2.0 played better competition and beat better teams. I said that while I was still in ACEN, btw. It's simply a fact.
THIS CANNOT BE EMPHASIZED ENOUGH

The Barons played the toughest schedule last season by far. Those boys can tell you how many times we faced pro teams back to back to back while still being in College D. Not to mention a roster change every other night. The main reason the Barons didn't keep progressing was because of the team chem stuff that was introduced mid-season. Because of the necessary roster changes and dump offs, there just wasn't away to keep on pace when everyone they played had a level 3 team chemistry.

2.0 was next when it comes to strength of schedule. They didn't make the ultimate mistake in challenging 20 people out the gate like the Barons and in turn they had a consistent and reasonable season.

ACEN on the other hand played chumps mostly and teams at their own level with a couple of upsets at the end of the season.

Seriously, this wasn't a devious plot I had in the back of my head since the middle of season 3. And if you thought I was harbouring a plan to destroy ACEN, why did you make me coach after I half-seriously made a bid? Here are the two PMs I sent dcx. First is after I read that Miner was quitting. Second is after he told me to come on over.