• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 demo impressions

Mastah

Any working link? I'm trying to snatch it from UK on X360, but it shows me error instead and links on PC ask for code :/.

Feindflug

For everyone having problems finding the demo just go to game marketplace -> all games -> find Crackdown 2 -> all downloads and it's there ready for download. :)

BTW the demo is 1.09GB.

Vorg

Banned
Feindflug said:
For everyone having problems finding the demo just go to game marketplace -> all games -> find Crackdown 2 -> all downloads and it's there ready for download. :)

BTW the demo is 1.09GB.

Thanks, man! This worked :)

STG said:
damn :/

not available for germans it seems

I hate you microsoft!
You hate microsoft? You must hate the USK. The game didnt get a rating here. So it was logical that the demo wouldnt be available here.

derFeef

Hypertrooper said:
You hate microsoft? You must hate the USK. The game didnt get a rating here. So it was logical that the demo wouldnt be available here.
I wonder why though... It´s not really violent. Maybe because of "It makes kids think you can lift cars and jump from rooftops" ?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Beaulieu said:
ever heard of quake 3 ?
COMMON

:lol I remember thinking this when they were hyping them up in H3. Loads of games have them, they're not exactly rare are they? I think some games had them pre-q3 as well (I'm sure a mod for Q2 had them at least).

Will be trying this demo when I get home for sure, love the first crackdown soooooooo much.

TheYanger

Started out feeling a bit -_- I thought that you were getting overwhelmed pretty hard right at the outset, but once I cleared the first two flashing things it makes you clear and started getting agility orbs...all was right in the world. Whoever was saying that it feels wrong to have so much stuff attacking you....did you play the first one? Prior to clearing out the gangs, there was a lot of danger just jumping around the city. I didn't feel like the pot shots were bad at all once off the street, only the roofs with the quest objectives really had a lot of enemies, and this was true in the first as well (Until the last section with those dang snipers/rocket guys)

Got up to level 4 agility shortly before time expired, too tired to play again but will probably tomorrow :) Overall once I started getting agility again it felt just right. not sure I like how bombed out the city looks, but it makes for some interesting architecture for sure when it's not so pristine.

EDIT: and now I realize that left trigger was to lock targets. I KNEW it felt too hard to shoot everything...it's been way too long since the first game.

Just finished my first 30m CD2 play session and I sure do miss realtime worlds. Presentation of the first is much better than what I've seen here. Will try out a little co-op later, that is if the demo allows it.

derFeef

Jeff Stephen said:
Just finished my first 30m CD2 play session and I sure do miss realtime worlds. Presentation of the first is much better than what I've seen here. Will try out a little co-op later, that is if the demo allows it.
I think the presentation is much better. With everything having more impact, sweet soundscapes and so on. And ruffian is almost the whole team who made CD1, just to clarify that.

I read a lot of "Man, CD1 was better looking and hat more freedom!". No it did not. Start a new game in CD1 with a new agent and see for yourself.

Cdammen

I really enjoyed the demo. Got one beacon online and demolished some freaks :D

I love the visuals, it's even more cartoony and the draw distance is crazy.

mujun

Just finished another session, played like 2 hours of just a demo already :D

Love it, totally feels like the next game in the series. Love the higher level weapons (ultra MG!)

G_Berry

Banned
mujun said:
Just finished another session, played like 2 hours of just a demo already :D

Love it, totally feels like the next game in the series. Love the higher level weapons (ultra MG!)
Same, demo got me mad hyped. Bring on the orbs!!!!

ckohler

I liked most what I played but had a few serious issues:
  • CAN'T SKIP MISSION BRIEFINGS!? Oh my god, it was terrible. The stupid game map would pop up and our friendly Agency announcer would talk for like two minutes straight, outlining your objective and you could not skip it. Worse, your character is COMPLETELY VULNERABLE AND UNCONTROLLABLE THE ENTIRE TIME! One time I was riding in a car with my teammate when this happened and he was backing up. We couldn't get out of it and the car ended up backing up the entire length of the map and almost into the ocean! I have no idea what Ruffian was thinking.
  • Teammate indicators are very hard to see. Half the time I had to check my mini-map to find my teammate. In CD1, their name was never occluded by buildings/cars/etc. and was super obvious but now they are little more than a faint bit of white-text which is barely noticeable at all even when they are standing right next to you.
  • You can't see other players health bars. At least, I don't remember being able to see them. Now you can't tell at a glance how bad your teammate is hurt. It's a real step backwards.
  • Auto-targeting on seems a bit.. 'off'. It kept locking on to the wrong items. I'd point at a barrel and squeeze Left Trigger only to have it move five feet to the right onto an enemy Then, I'd point it at an enemy and it would move five feet to the left and lock onto an already exploded truck. CD1's auto-targeting was much more reliable.

Phloxy

For some reason that mission briefing only pops up during co-op. Ruffian has said on their forums that won't be an issue in the launch game as well as a patch that changes aiming priorities when you are in close.

Emphasis seems to be on shooting. I didn't see my first agility orb until I was 20minutes in. Might give it another go later but so far it's not pulling me in.

Beaulieu said:
ever heard of quake 3 ?
COMMON
So? The point of the post was to say I love those mega jump platforms.
And just to annoy you: Crackdown 2 has its own version of mancannons.:D
Meus Renaissance said:
Emphasis seems to be on shooting. I didn't see my first agility orb until I was 20minutes in. Might give it another go later but so far it's not pulling me in.
What?:lol What do you mean you didn't see your first agility orb until 20 minutes in? All you gotta do is run forward from where the demo puts you and voila!

derFeef

ruffiangames twitter said:
400,000 Agility Orbs collected in the demo so far. Get higher, Agents.
majornelson twitter said:
The Crackdown 2 guys just told me that since the demo has gone out, you have already killed 1.2 millions Freaks. Nice job Agent.

MOAR! :D

Sanic

Dax01 said:
So? The point of the post was to say I love those mega jump platforms.
And just to annoy you: Crackdown 2 has its own version of mancannons.:D

I think his issue was that anybody who has been playing FPS games for a decent amount of time would have seen them in several games before Halo 3, most notably Quake 3, and would call them jump pads or some such, and not mancannons :).

Oh and it seems you can't join sessions :(.

augmental

I agree with what some others have said about the auto targeting. It doesn't seem to work as well as the first one. Is there no way to cycle the targets once you have the left trigger held down?

ShapeGSX

Meus Renaissance said:

Did you forget to look around? They are EVERYWHERE in the container yard.

ShapeGSX

Pandoracell said:
Oh and it seems you can't join sessions :(.

There is an option to make your game joinable when you hit the back button during the game. Scroll all the way over to the right on the map screen.

FrankT

augmental said:
I agree with what some others have said about the auto targeting. It doesn't seem to work as well as the first one. Is there no way to cycle the targets once you have the left trigger held down?

Patch on at least that coming day one;

There's a day #1 title update that makes a few tweaks to the aiming priorities. I think you'll be happy :)

Sanic

ShapeGSX said:
There is an option to make your game joinable when you hit the back button during the game. Scroll all the way over to the right on the map screen.

Ah alright. But why can I still not select 'Join' on the main menu?

Dabanton

Meus Renaissance said:

LOL

I'm playing it now and i'm 10 mins in and i've already upgrading twice orbs are all over the place.

Anyway games feels like an old friend but better i already like the slightly tactical decisions you'll have to make like not raiding the freak hideouts until they are out hunting at night.

As if their was any doubt this will be a day one purchase.

derFeef said:
I wonder why though... It´s not really violent. Maybe because of "It makes kids think you can lift cars and jump from rooftops" ?
Yeah, i think this is the main reason. but hey. welcome uk! You'll get my money :D

wwm0nkey

For anyone that wants a head start on unlocking those duck grenades in the demo do the following.

Go to: www.chucksducks2.com

User: CrackdownE3
Beta Code: OIKO-Z1ED-9QYG-4ALF

you cant link your gamertag YET, but you will be able too soon :D

(also yes stats do save)

Got strength maxed(Lv 6) but it either didn't add anything new or they didn't include it in the demo.

Got agility to Lv 5. Got the wing suit but I didn't know how to use it. It would enable but my agent would just plummet tot he ground but he didn't take damage and you can transition into a roll.

Got guns to Lv 3 but it takes a lot longer for guns to level up in the demo. Explosions to Lv 2 but didn't mess around with it much. Driving to...driving in Crackdown?

Where are the freak lairs at?

Top Bottom