• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 demo impressions

derFeef

Clearing a lair is mad fun. Man I want more time in the goddamn demo :lol
Game is mad fun, bring on the full game already. Too bad that there are no pre-orders so far in my country and I have no chance getting the other armors with it it seems :/

Foob said:
none of my friends are playing this, so if anyone wants to coop with me...

my GT is WarZebra

sent a FR

k0ji-wd said:
humans ragdoll, not the zombies

Maybe it depends on what car you drive, but when I drove through some busy area (way too many pedestrians on the road), they just exploded in red blood mists.

Sanic

Seems to be a combination of speed and vehicle with regard to if something will ragdoll or explode. I've seen zombies ragdoll in addition to humans.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, whether something ragdolls or not could be at least partially based on how great the crowd density is in a particular area/moment, as it does seem like humans ragdoll more frequently, and human density is almost always lower than zombie density.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing a lot of CD1 lately since I don't have acces to the demo yet.
Just started a rooftop race named "Wings are for suckers." :lol
Pretty funny considering the new one has a wingsuit.

mujun

Finally played the demo (thanks Piggo!).

More Crackdown goodness is what it is! Come on July 8th!

I don't get the complaint about too many enemies, during the day when the gangs are out seems exactly the same as the first game to me and the freaks are easy to avoid/beat down at night so I had no problems gathering orbs or just running around (not to mention the fact that it seemed to take a lot of enemy fire to get my health and armor down).

Graphics are mediocre as others have mentioned. I can live with that no problem, gameplay and fun factor more than make up for it.

Can't wait to play more of the demo and try levelling up strength, agility, etc.

Dipswitch

Played it a couple of times earlier on today and had a lot of fun. It's felt very familiar (Which is a good thing), although the lock on feature seemed less accurate than the first game. Quite frustrating to lock onto a car in the distance when some geezer right in front of you is pumping you full of lead.

The diversity of tasks was a welcome addition. Definitely an improvement of CD1's "Kill everyone and then their bosses" motif. And the fact that you're back in the same city didn't bother me as much as I thought it would - enough about it was changed to make it seem fresh again. I wasn't quite as impressed with the graphics as I was with the first game, but they still get the job done just fine. The art style is still bad ass.

And of course the orbs make a welcome return. I hate the Goddamn Live Orbs though. I ran across several of them in my first few minutes of gameplay, so it's clear there's going to be quite a few of them dotted about. I understand the appeal of co-op, but I can't see how orb hunting with a partner is going to be anything other than boring as fuck. For us OCD types, it's definitely a change for the worse.

I'm up to four achievements in the demo. I'm having fun but there's a few things that have me slightly concerned about the final game. We'll wait and see. Going to keep playing the demo and I might fire up the original Crackdown here soon and try to get some of the achievements that I'm lacking.

ShapeGSX

I played through the demo 4 times with a friend in co-op. I leveled strength up to Level 5, and the ground pound while holding a lamp post is absolutely incredible. It tears the freaks up!

On the last play through we set up the beacons and went into the freak lair and took it out. We were playing the game on easy, and it was REALLY difficult to keep the beacon alive while it charged up. I'm not sure if it increases difficulty dynamically in co-op mode or not.

After we took care of the lair, we noticed a yellow symbol on the map, which was a freak breach. You basically have to take out all the freaks that come out of a hole in the ground until air support can seal it with missiles.

There is a lot of variety in the game play.

The mag grenades are too much fun, and pack quite a blast when you blow up multiple vehicles with them.

I can't wait for the game to come out!

Yeah the first game definitely gave more of a targeting priority to the nearest enemies. I am wondering if the purposefully changed it so that explosives would have the priority. Because it would be harder to target them with so many enemies on screen and that they expect people to make more use of them to kill several enemies at once instead of shooting all of them one by one. But that seems to apply to vehicles as well, oh well.

Edit: Also i am going to go ahead and call bs on all the sub HD comments, it looks just as crisp as the first one.

FrankT

gazliddon said:
There's a day #1 title update that makes a few tweaks to the aiming priorities. I think you'll be happy :)

25i3bx3.gif

I cannot believe I missed the codes for Crackdown. The sequel to one of the best games of this generation, and I'm out in the cold. =(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
krypt0nian said:
I cannot believe I missed the codes for Crackdown. The sequel to one of the best games of this generation, and I'm out in the cold. =(

Don't fret, I missed out too but the demo comes out for everyone (with Gold status) tomorrow the 21st. It's weird that it's out on a Monday but whatever, I can't wait.

I have 50 points worth of achievements towards Crackdown 2 from the demo so far. I've been trying to unlock the Harpoon Gun to get that achievement but I literally can't find enough people to shoot before the demo ends.

Looking at the achievements for Crackdown 2 they look much better than the first game's. I was looking at my Crackdown achievements the other day and almost all the achievements I didn't have were vehicle based. Just never really cared about the vehicles in a game where exploring the city on foot jumping from rooftop to rooftop and climbing everywhere was so much fun.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:
Don't fret, I missed out too but the demo comes out for everyone (with Gold status) tomorrow the 21st. It's weird that it's out on a Monday but whatever, I can't wait.
Soo. XLBA updates at 2am still, right? I haven't waited for a release in a long time.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not really sure, that's kinda why I was asking.
I think the last time I waited up for an XBLA release was the legendary map pack or something.

nubbe

The mood of the game feels so much darker and grimmer.
It doesn't feel as relaxing to play as the first one.

GhaleonEB

nubbe said:
The mood of the game feels so much darker and grimmer.
It doesn't feel as relaxing to play as the first one.
I haven't played the CD2 demo, but for me most of the relaxation to CD1 came when I hit five stars in Agility and could just leap around the rooftops for hours on end. I never got there in the CD1 demo.

Look forward to the demo tomorrow. It sounds like they kind of blew the vehicles, but they were always a secondary element in the game anyways.

Gazunta

I only played one game at E3 and it was the Crackdown 2 demo.

And it was glorious.

I've already booked a week off from work for when the game comes out here. CAN'T WAIT!

Uhh... Is it just me or does the demo feel kind of lifeless? I don't know what it is... I say this as a HUGE fan of the first game (so much so I SPRINTED to the Gamestop after class to get it on release day).

I had a ton of fun with the multiplayer at PAX East, but we were all maxed out for the most part stats wise. My plan is to just get orbs for a few hours to power up before really digging into the, "story."

Let's hope these initial impressions are wrong.

mujun

CoachKevin said:
Uhh... Is it just me or does the demo feel kind of lifeless? I don't know what it is... I say this as a HUGE fan of the first game (so much so I SPRINTED to the Gamestop after class to get it on release day).

I had a ton of fun with the multiplayer at PAX East, but we were all maxed out for the most part stats wise. My plan is to just get orbs for a few hours to power up before really digging into the, "story."

Didn't feel "lifeless" compared to the first game for me. Got totally hooked on collecting orbs again.

whitehawk

Banned
Gazunta said:
I only played one game at E3 and it was the Crackdown 2 demo.

And it was glorious.

I've already booked a week off from work for when the game comes out here. CAN'T WAIT!
Dude, you're supposed to book a week off when you go on vacation, not when you want to sit on a couch all week playing a video game.

Teknoman

Only thing I dont like about the game is that the gunplay isnt better than the first. Cant really put it into detail...its just the guns feel light and it doesnt really feel like you're shooting something.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Got a demo off of FB, played for half an hour and I'm quite un-impressed. It feels like the city does not have as much happening as before. It just feels like there isn't much going on.

Meh

Teknoman said:
Only thing I dont like about the game is that the gunplay isnt better than the first. Cant really put it into detail...its just the guns feel light and it doesnt really feel like you're shooting something.
I feel the exact opposite. Gunplay is much improved. The guns feel a lot better to shoot.

ShapeGSX

The area of the city in the demo is much larger than I thought. I got the agency supercar and headed out on the highway and ended up at the observatory and quarry. There is a HUGE freak lair in there.

Teknoman

Dax01 said:
I feel the exact opposite. Gunplay is much improved. The guns feel a lot better to shoot.

Maybe I just need to spend more time with it then, or get better guns. Are you using lock on or free aim?

And I probably need to make a custom playlist again :lol

Teknoman said:
Maybe I just need to spend more time with it then, or get better guns. Are you using lock on or free aim?
Both. I love using the UV gun to tear up the Freaks, and I'm really enjoying the assault rifle. I've only tried the machine gun that you can get from a weapon drop one time so far, and it owns.

Even picking up ammo for my guns is pretty satisfying to me in this game.

CoachKevin said:

i thought the demo was really fun to play (like CD1) and the shooting is improved but it seems the graphics are a downgrade from CD1. then again its been awhile since i played CD1 so maybe thats it?

Aaron

Teknoman said:
Just get better guns. The UV weapons against the freaks or the heavier variants of the regular weapons all pack plenty of punch.

derFeef

Dax01 said:
Oh yeah. I love the shotguns. Finally good shotguns in Crackdown! Managed to get the MG as well and boy it is a monster.

Circle T

Played some more tonight with the intention of acquiring the new tank. Took a while, but I did, and it is GLORIOUS!!! Still handles like shit (it's a tank, hur), but damn is that thing fun to drive. The big ass cannon on the roof is quite satisfying to shoot. With the addition of 4p co-op, I can now envision some amazing tactical assaults using a couple loose agents on foot, one in the tank and one in the chopper. This game is going to just RULE!!!

I also now have 8 of the achievements. Still can't seem to get my shooting up to 4-star quick enough to have time to use the harpoon gun and stick enemies to a car. I can get to 4-star, but not with enough time left to work. The one where you have to juggle a car with the UV gun is tough as well. By the 2nd shot, it is anyone's guess as to where it will fly. Oh well, the game is a blast.

Gazunta said:
This is my vacation :)

Serious respect dude. Also, people seem to be getting confused about the whole blood splatter/ragdoll thing. If you hit a human enemy/civilian slowly with your car then ragdoll physics are there. But if you hit them at pace then it's just a blood splatter. People are forgetting that there are some HUGE crowds in this game, and if you drive into them with the agency supercar at 200 mph then ragdoll physics aren't really fair to expect.

Why For?

Banned
Gazunta said:
This is my vacation :)

I am EXACTLY the same.

My idea of a vacation is being left COMPLETELY alone to wallow in my own filth playing games uninterrupted.

Stopping briefly for midnight maccas runs.

Top Bottom