• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Craig: where are the Sunday DS impressions?

DrLazy

I'm encouraged about Mario Party Tennis, they've added everything I wanted. The new metroid looks like a solid single-player game. I don't know about Mario Party 6, I think it depends on how fast turns take between mini-games.

Link

Deg

Banned
I don't know about Mario Party 6, I think it depends on how fast turns take between mini-games.

Is that all you can say? How much of the game are they letting you see? CAn you play it in 4 player?

After playing the levels currently available, the game appears to be more of a traditional first person shooter instead of the standard adventure concept used in Metroid Prime.

It is a fps :) According to Nintendo anyway.

Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt supports 4-player multiplayer gaming. The game moves extremely quick and plays similar to Quake or other PC first person shooters. Unlike Prime, there isn’t a lock-on targeting system so players must make good use of the touch screen to aim at the competition. After playing for a few moments it became obvious that the game’s default control scheme works extraordinarily well. The matches were extremely fun to play and the game does retain some hidden areas and secrets to discover thanks to small passageways that can only be accessed via the morph ball. It’s great that this demo is packed in with every DS as it is very fun to play and easy to learn. Who knows, maybe it will become the new “Golden Eye” for Nintendo?

sweet.

thanks for the write up. Greatly appreciated.

Deg

Banned
Just finished. He covered all the major stuff out this year! :D

Some nice pics but not all load.

Hey guys! Yeah, the article is up. Man, you wouldn't believe how long it takes to get everything working on a web site. All the images should work now. If you come across some that still don't give me an e-mail.

Mario Party 6 quote above isn't from me. I played about 20 to 30 minutes of the game...all 4 player. Some of the games were actually very fun and the microphone is a cool idea, but I'm not sure how many of the games actually use it. I should have asked that question, but didn't! Still, if you hated Mario Party games before (I'm looking at you Silent Hill!), you will still hate this one. Expect a LOW score from Game Informer ;)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I just finished reading the whole thing. Awesome coverage, thanks.

First time I visited the main page in months, too!

DrLazy

Yeah, I'm not Craig. But seriously the real Craig did a great job. Looks like a solid gamecube line up, if not lacking in origninality. As for the DS, I think the fact that you can have multiplayer with only 1 cart is going to be the biggest selling point.

Mejilan

DrLazy said:
Yeah, I'm not Craig. But seriously the real Craig did a great job. Looks like a solid gamecube line up, if not lacking in origninality. As for the DS, I think the fact that you can have multiplayer with only 1 cart is going to be the biggest selling point.

GBA had that too, though it didn't go very far. Still, the wirelessness and the DS' ability to scan the surrounding area for downloads should make the concept MUCH more accessible. However, as before, it's up to the devs. I hope it doesn't go like it did with the GBA, where only the early games (and mostly only the first party ones, at that) actually supported the concept.

snapty00

Banned
Will most games offer faster loading options if more than one person has a copy of a cartridge?

For example, let's say that six people want to play Ridge Racer DS, and only one person doesn't have the game. Can we save time by only having to transfer it to him?

Nice impressions, actually the first article I've ever read on the site. :p Ugh, the two week wait is going to be so hard to get through.

Mejilan

snapty00 said:
Will most games offer faster loading options if more than one person has a copy of a cartridge?

For example, let's say that six people want to play Ridge Racer DS, and only one person doesn't have the game. Can we save time by only having to transfer it to him?

I imagine not. Going by the GBA as an example, single-cart multiplayer was almost ALWAYS errr... streamlined, let's say, when compared to multi-cart multiplayer. Meaning, less track detail or vehicles in a racing game, no music, etc.

In other words, in the past, with very few exceptions, single-cart and multi-cart were effectively two different and incompatble modes. I don't expect that to change.

Drakken

Mejilan said:
GBA had that too, though it didn't go very far. Still, the wirelessness and the DS' ability to scan the surrounding area for downloads should make the concept MUCH more accessible. However, as before, it's up to the devs. I hope it doesn't go like it did with the GBA, where only the early games (and mostly only the first party ones, at that) actually supported the concept.

The GBA had game sharing, like the DS will? I thought both players had to have the GBA game to play together.

mCACGj

Drakken said:
The GBA had game sharing, like the DS will? I thought both players had to have the GBA game to play together.

Some did, some didnt...just like the DS.

Take Mario Kart for GBA, you could have one cart and link 4 players together.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'd imagine alot of what screwed the GBA out of one cart multiplayer was ram and bandwidth issues. The NDS seems to correct alot of that. It would be nice if someone made a list of NDS games announced so far that support one cart multiplayer, and the features of those modes.

neptunes

not all game support wireless game sharing, and those that do usually offer limited modes of play

I don't think madden and drill spirits utilize it. (there could be more)

Right, not all games will have the 1 game card sharing option. I guess I was really surprised to see Ridge Racer support 6 players with one card since it is fairly graphic intensive. All the options seemed to be in there as far as I could see. I hope more games take advantage of the 1 card multiplayer options.

neptunes said:
not all game support wireless game sharing, and those that do usually offer limited modes of play

I don't think madden and drill spirits utilize it. (there could be more)

trying to down play the feature?

AirBrian

Nice impressions. Thanks! :)

Mario Tennis will be mine! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

And it's nice to see the optional D-Pad control for Ridge Racer DS.

Mejilan

Craig Majaski said:
Right, not all games will have the 1 game card sharing option. I guess I was really surprised to see Ridge Racer support 6 players with one card since it is fairly graphic intensive. All the options seemed to be in there as far as I could see. I hope more games take advantage of the 1 card multiplayer options.

Including music!? And everyone could select their own car? I've played one-cart sharing GBA racers where everyone was stuck with the same vehicle that player 1 selected... and no music during gameplay.

If the NDS can provide one-cart sharing multiplayer that's fully featured.

Well, that'd be huge. I don't expect it though, they would WANT to sell multiple copies of a game for multiplayer gamers.

neptunes

kitchenmotors said:
trying to down play the feature?

not at all, just letting people know that not all games (and developers for that matter) will support wireless game sharing and that multiple cart multiplayer will offer more modes.

Well I had the DS with the actual game, but I was sitting right next to everyone else and I believe they all had the music and the voice and everything. I will check with them and find out for sure!

neptunes

PlanetGamecube added a little bit more

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5799

He then cued up a new commercial for Echoes, which will be finalized soon and begin airing for the game’s release. The ad is titled “Iron Woman” and begins with a tall, blonde model walking down the street. As she walks, bits of metal appear from off the screen and fly onto her body. This goes on for several seconds, as the metal accumulates and eventually forms her suit of armor. Samus then holds out her cannon arm and fires at something in the distance. The ad finishes with a few seconds of gameplay footage.

Reggie then shifted his focus to the DS. Referring to the role of Super Mario 64 DS in the launch lineup, he said: “Mario is like the postman – he delivers.” He also mentioned that WarioWare DS will be released in America in the next quarter (Q1 2005). Nintendo will be pushing DS with a theater ad campaign throughout the month of December.

go to the site for the full read.

No problem! I did play Madden, Tiger Woods, and Spider-Man 2 as well. Unfortunately I don't play many traditional sports titles, so my opinions on the EA games would be shit. Spider-Man 2 impressions should go up on Monday, when I'm actually allowed to talk about the game. I'd imagine Planet GameCube will have some as well :)

Craig Majaski said:

So as far as you could tell, out of the games you played only Ridge Racer has single cart multi?

EDIT: oh one more thing, did they give you a day one line up? We're still not clear on what games are launch and what games are "launch window"

BTW excellent write-up! :D

lexi

Banned
krypt0nian said:
So as far as you could tell, out of the games you played only Ridge Racer has single cart multi?

BTW excellent write-up! :D

I believe Mario 64 DS has single cart multiplayer.

And yes, Kudos to a great write-up.

Thanks for the kind words. Super Mario 64 DS is 1 card multiplayer as well. I haven't heard if any others will be.

On day 1 I believe Super Mario 64 DS, Madden 2005, Spider-Man 2, Feel the Magic, Urbz: Sims in the City, Asphalt Urban GT, and possibly Rayman will be on store shelves. I know Mario has a street date, but the rest may show up at stores up to a week before the system hits store shelves.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Is there any info on how long Feel the Magic is? I'm picking this or Super Mario 64 up on launch and if it's only 10 hours with little replay value i'll pick up mario.

While Feel the Magic is extremely cool, I don't know how long the game will be. My gut feeling is that it won't be too big of a game. It's fun, but I doubt it'll take very long to work your way through to the end.

If I had to pick just one, I'd go with Mario. It's got the main quest, which is pretty big in and of itself, and something like 36 mini-games, some of which are incredibly fun and addicting. Don't pass up Mario.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Just Awesome!! DS is mine after reading that!

Mario 64 was ruined for me, the first and only time a game guide as screwed up a title for me so it will be awesome coming back to the game redone after all these years.

I am also itching to play the new 2D Mario game!!!

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
The One card multiplayer is a great idea; people will get a taste of their friend’s games without having to buy then and then will hopefully purchase the game!

It’s a great way for Nintendo to showcase their games.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Well, 30 was a ballpark estimate, and I've always heard it expressed as "30+".

GDGF

Soothsayer
Do The Mario said:
The One card multiplayer is a great idea; people will get a taste of their friend’s games without having to buy then and then will hopefully purchase the game!

It’s a great way for Nintendo to showcase their games.

Yeah, it's killer. Nintendo mentioned that they would allow game demo downloads for the Nintendo DS in the future (I'm assuming through in store kiosk units)

That, in conjunction with the one card multiplayer (and the inevitable boom, pow, shabang multi million unit pokemon download via movie theaters)... well, it just makes me feel all squishy inside :)

Top Bottom