• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cremation seems so wrong

Gp1

With my mother i choose to bury her next to my grandmother and my great grandfather in a family tombstone. I'm sure that's what she wanted.
But simply can't visit the tombstone and think of that as some sort of monolith for her, it's naive to think that "someone" is there and i when i visit i remember more about the entire funeral process than about her. Although i have a small part in a bookshelf in my house with some photos of her and some other spiritual/faith things.

In my funeral i couldn't care less. Cremate me and throw the ashes in the ocean i think.

And please, donate my fucking organs (at least the ones that are good enough). I'm pretty sure that my mother saved someone life after she departed and i want that too.

Last edited:
Depends on which side of the fence you are on. I'm not opposed to cremation or burying the dead. It's a very personal decision when it comes to your loved ones. I wouldn't tell anyone which is right or wrong.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

If i have a choice in the matter, sky burial for me.

It's the most metal way to go and it's big party for a bunch of birds.

Second best, burial at sea with just a veil. If i can't feed the birds, i might settle for the fishes.

Last edited:

Sokka

With a gravestone, I feel like there is this obligation to visit. I don't want people to feel that way when I pass away, they would still think of me from time to time and appreciate the memory.

Hence why I'd choose ashes over a grave.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
FWIW there are some religious beliefs that a body has to be buried very quickly so the corpse can reanimate and claw its way to the promised land in the future.

It wasn't long ago, that people in modern Europe thought that they had to prevent dead people from coming back to life.
Today we think of the undead and vampires as a cool thing in movies and videogames, but in the XIX century, people thought they were very real.

0tVczBl.jpeg

If i have a choice in the matter, sky burial for me.

It's the most metal way to go and it's big party for a bunch of birds.

Second best, burial at sea with just a veil. If i can't feed the birds, i might settle for the fishes.
I can jive with that.

It sounds like a very Dark Souls way to wither away like that.

The ocean still frightens me to death, even in death. Big no-no for me. And for someone who kind of believes in reincarnation (it's a feeling) I really don't want to become a fish.

Last edited:

simpatico

I agree. Not a fan of that idea. If I had my choice, I'd like to be buried in something that I can be easily biodegraded. I certainly don't want to be turned into lunchmeat before being buried.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Cremation is fine. The GOD that created the universe can knit back together all your atoms at anytime. My mother was cremated after her death. She didn’t seem to mind.

sigmaZ

Anyone else agree that cremation seems so wrong? Burning the body just seems disrespectful, I think a tombstone "preserves" the person better and is more tangible.
The misunderstanding about cremation is that you don't have tombstones. In Japan where I live, people are cremated out of necessity (they pretty much banned burials) but usually still have tombstones. Your body is going to decompose regardless, so you can still have a grave for visits and memorial purposes, while at the same time, your love ones can keep or scatter your ashes. It's the best of both worlds.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
wow i am surprised at the responses. i can respect it but disagree.

Why? You religious or something?

A dead body is not the person any more. Cremation is the most viable solution logistically. We have a special part of a park where you can have your ashes spread out in nature among the tress, not even a plaque and that's what I am going for.

Also you think a grave is there to stay? After a couple of decennia it just gets removed by a bulldozer to make room for new ones.

I dont mean preserve in that way, which is why I put it in quotes. It's the idea that the body was in that area at a time with the tombstone.

Oh so you don't even know there's normally a wall with urns or slabs with the person's name in a field?

Last edited:

Darchaos

We are taking farewell to my dad tomorrow and he wanted to be cremated. But so wanted me and my sister hand my dads wife to. I dont live near where his grave would of been, nor do my sister. His wife is starting to get old to. Its just easier this way and hes always in our mind and we can be anywhere and remember him.

Cant belive his gone though, same feeling for everyone when this happens i take for granted.

Cyberpunkd

Anyone else agree that cremation seems so wrong? Burning the body just seems disrespectful, I think a tombstone "preserves" the person better and is more tangible.
You understand underneath that tombstone your body slowly decomposes and becomes great feeding ground for all sort of fun things that live in the ground, right? And if someone got buried without a coffin - even faster!

We are taking farewell to my dad tomorrow and he wanted to be cremated. But so wanted me and my sister hand my dads wife to. I dont live near where his grave would of been, nor do my sister. His wife is starting to get old to. Its just easier this way and hes always in our mind and we can be anywhere and remember him.

Cant belive his gone though, same feeling for everyone when this happens i take for granted.

When my father passed passed, he was cremated and interred in our “family” cemetery.
Problem is, that cemetery is in the middle of nowhere outside Louisville, Kentucky.
Mom and I live in Florida, my sisters live in Wisconsin and South Carolina.
It’s kinda a cool cemetery too, literally in the middle of nowhere at the end of a mostly dirt road. Just a giant oak tree and a collection of graves, some dating back quite a bit. It isn’t “our” cemetery per se, but there are quite a few of the Lawless clan buried there, and it is where mom will go when she passes.

You understand underneath that tombstone your body slowly decomposes and becomes great feeding ground for all sort of fun things that live in the ground, right? And if someone got buried without a coffin - even faster!
I know that it decomposes but it happens naturally, where cremation is destroying the body forced.

MrMephistoX

I’m more agnostic than Catholic but I also sometimes worry: what if the damn Egyptians were right about the body being resurrected for the afterlife and cremation means your soul ceases to exist?

Top Bottom