• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos Remaster

Tsaki

WE ARE BLESSED

uJ1UnFV.gif

Hookshot

Gold Member
Is it an urban legend that this was pitched as a Yoshi game that Nintendo deemed too crap to release so they made it a crocodile and playstation got it? Or is it true?

YCoCg

At least this looks like it's running in wide-screen, there's been too many "remasters" lately that are just the game slapped inside a packaged emulator and a unity frontend.

SkylineRKR

Is it an urban legend that this was pitched as a Yoshi game that Nintendo deemed too crap to release so they made it a crocodile and playstation got it? Or is it true?

It was supposed to be a Yoshi racing game that mixed both SMK and SMB. Nintendo rejected it and canceled Starfox 2 as well. This was confirmed by Argonaut employers I believe.

In my veins!

As a child, I didn't have an N64 and therefore no Mario64. Instead, my parents bought me a cheap ass Aldi PC so that I could use educational software on it...💩

Of course, that wasn't what I wanted. So I looked for something that was closest to Mario64 and came across Croc.

The 3D aspect, the varied levels, the soundtrack, the jump'n'run feeling and the positive energy of the game were unique to me at the time.

Pure Nostalgia ❤️

I think the return to tank controls is going to be pretty jarring for some, unless of course there’s an option for more modern controls.

Still, nice to see another 5th gen game get a second run.

Mownoc

I think the return to tank controls is going to be pretty jarring for some, unless of course there’s an option for more modern controls.

Still, nice to see another 5th gen game get a second run.
It has modern controls, not sure if tank controls is available.

"The game, planned for release on PC and "all the current consoles", is being brought up to date with HD visuals and a modern control scheme, replacing the 1997 original's notorious tank controls. On top of that, the remaster will include the Crocipedia, a museum mode full of concept art, design documents, animation tests, team member interviews, and more, providing lots of insight on the original game's development. It's due for release "later this year"."

MagusMajul

Earthworms always creeped me out no way i could play this as a kid. The hell levels in earth worm jim 2 gave me nightmares.

bundylove

Nothing but bad memories lol

I got it on psone and then a month later my parents got my sister a new pc with a vodoo card ans this game.

And i wasnt allowed to play on pc lol

bundylove

What was she playing? Half Life?
She never played anything. My parents just wanted to gift her with this.

Needles to say she didnt care and got a gameboy with pokemon instead.

And so the pc became my dads property and i was never allowed to touch it.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
rumor is that it was pitched to nintendo to be a yoshi game. early tank controls makes it hard to play these days but it still can be fun.

El Muerto

Gold Member
The tank controls were awful for a platformer. Croc 2 was more fun to play if you had a dualshock as it didnt use the tank controls. I'll grab this. The dev is probably seeing if there's any interest in a new Croc game by re-releasing the games.

Sephimoth

The tank controls were awful for a platformer. Croc 2 was more fun to play if you had a dualshock as it didnt use the tank controls. I'll grab this. The dev is probably seeing if there's any interest in a new Croc game by re-releasing the games.
Was just about to comment about the awful controls.

Didn't mind tank controls in Tomb Raider but this game needed Mario 64 style fluidity. It was a time of figuring things out.
I remember it looked decent on the Saturn though back then

Last edited:
Nice! I love this game on Saturn but the controls have not aged well, pretty sure it released prior to Mario 64. A remaster will make this a must-play IMO.

Dazraell

I played the shit out of this game as a kid and have a lot of good memories from it. Will definitely buy this remaster, provided if it won't be too price'y at launch

Esppiral

Great! I was fearing one of those shitty psone emulators but this looks like they put effort on it, I may buy it day one if it is not too expensive, love me some Croc.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
We're definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel for remasters at this point, but... I mean, the game wasn't bad. I'd think about revisiting it.

dwish

This was rumored for a while but there was some issue regarding licensing or similar iirc. Is this for real?

Sojiro

Thats pretty cool, glad to see Croc get some love. I always liked the original game back on the PS1, sure it's no where near as good as Mario 64/Crash/Spyro, but it was still a fun game that was pretty decent.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I hope they keep the tank controls and the same camera as the original /s

I had this game on Saturn and did not enjoy it though I tried.

Deerock71

I would have to go with Tomba personally, but Croc is still a solid ass game. Speaking of the original PS1 releases, I don't plan on picking these up as I still own them on my PS1.
I'm going with the physical release of Tomba. Not gonna lie; limited run games and I are a team of rivals.

StueyDuck

I loved this game on PS1, amazed its getting remastered tbh lol

Looks great though.

I know these games aren't that great, i mean tank controls in a plaftormer.

but damn am i gonna get this just to relive those member berries.

just hearing all those damn sound effects are taking me back.

Top Bottom