• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters
Hello good people, I am new here. I want to escape the absolute lunacy on Era, where I've been intermittently participating for a few years. I think I've had enough. I don't feel that you can discuss anything in that place anymore. It's always been an issue with their echo-chamber, but now it's just getting worse and worse. The plot is completely lost over there. You can not be a simple, regular human in that place (I was also born male, white and privileged, for which I will never apologize). At this point I hate whatever the fuck Era is as much as I hate right wing racists, incels and other shitheels. Era's brand of fascist wokeness is fucking awful :(

Yay Cyberpunk! Looking forward to getting my PC physical box in the mail soon. The game looks awesome... albeit buggy.

TVexperto

After putting roughly 45 hours into Cyberpunk 2077, I was able to beat it seven different ways, including three drastically different final missions and five wildly different but satisfying endings after them (plus one similar one) – and I still have plenty more to do and lots of mysteries to hunt down. The more time you put in, the richer the payoff you’ll get in the end.

DampImprobableAustralianfurseal-size_restricted.gif
what review is that

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Also anyone that rushes through the story on easy, skips side quests and no exploring, you are doing a major disservice to this game.

Please watch it on YouTube

Why would anyone play a game like this like that?

Are there psychos who played Witcher 3 or Skyrim by just gunning through the main story?

RAIDEN1

So wait until patched out, or get the game as soon as??? Even the day one patch apparently doesn't address the glitches but performance stability...

Fucking *thank you*

I swear half these people have never seen a Cyberpunk movie or played a game in the genre in their lives.

The entire genre is built around critique of unhinged corporate/government handholding that destroys the lower/middle classes and lets the rich live (literally, see: Alita, Blade Runner, etc.) above the lower classes...

Why the fuck does anyone need exposition on a genre that has had its roots established for decades? It's like seeing Star Wars and being pissed they didn't explain why every city/planet isn't some futuristic equality utopia.

Exactly, it just shows you the world and expects you to be smart enough to draw your own conclusions. But these people like stories that bludgeon you over the head with their politics, which is why they make such bad writers.

John Day

I fear i might have more fun reading all the drama than the actual game 🤣🤣🤣

Can’t wait. CHIOOOOOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOO M’FERSSSSS

Why would anyone play a game like this like that?

Are there psychos who played Witcher 3 or Skyrim by just gunning through the main story?
Sadly yes, I have a friend that I guarantee will have it "beaten" by Saturday, maybe Sunday at the latest.

He kinda annoys me with it, seems to think it's a race.

lol chill,

What makes you think I'm not relaxed?
Why is that even relevant? Should I digress about your psychological states when talking about Cyberpunk 2077 or fiction?

you're giving me a lot to work with. For one, to imply that fiction cannot address real-life events

I did not say that.

I am talking about the ontology of fiction. There is a reason why Essay and Fiction exist as two distinct categories. Fiction is probably the worst possible medium to rigorously address real-life politics. When it tries it fails at both. It's a disservice both to art and politics.

Philosophy, not fiction, is the realm of serious political discussion. A piece of fiction with no artistic merit which profoundly addresses social issues is nonetheless a failed piece of art.

and issues is pretty baffling to me.

What's baffling is your inability to carefully consider what's being expressed.

Stries are better when they discuss complex subject matters and analyze them through worldobuilding.

I'm not getting into that here.
I would highly recommend Robert Mckee's seminal "Story", though.

If you think The Lord of the Rings has no commentary on real-world events, then you haven't really understood the point of that work. Cyberpunk is no different and if CDPR doesn't try to sincerely talk about those real-world issues, then they aren't really taking Cyberpunk seriously.

You are smuggling in a lot of ideas with your vague language. There is no successful art without artistic merit. Artistic merit is independent from commentary on real-life contemporary events.

As a side note, it would be hilarious for CDPR, a company which is the poster child for why indeed capitalism absolutely is the morally superior system and a prosperity-generator like no other, it would be hilarious for CDPR to use Cyberpunk 2077 as an anti-capitalist pamphlet, or "commentary", as the euphemism now goes.

The poetic justice outcome would be for their shares on the stock market to plummet overnight.

They are merely viewing it as an aesthetic, which is highly reductive

Says who?
Based on what?

I haven't played the game yet. Until that happens I'm left with the tentative approach of, for the time being at least, trusting Mike Pondsmith when he clearly says CDPR is duly paying tribute to his fictional universe. He praises their work.

Is it the money speaking?

of the genre and source material. We can agree to disagree, but I think demanding fiction should be blind to real-life

Who here is demanding that?
I certainly am not.

FastyMar7

Neo Member
Man the reviews have me more hyped than ever, HELL YEAH!!!!!!
They all wax lyrical about it, obviously they criticise the bugs and glithces but they are easy to fix with time. Man this game sounds incredible, truly

After putting roughly 45 hours into Cyberpunk 2077, I was able to beat it seven different ways, including three drastically different final missions and five wildly different but satisfying endings after them (plus one similar one) – and I still have plenty more to do and lots of mysteries to hunt down. The more time you put in, the richer the payoff you’ll get in the end.

DampImprobableAustralianfurseal-size_restricted.gif

in my veins

Can you bang Alanah Pearces character? Asking for a friend.

Had no idea she was in this. I was planning on the Nomad life path, too.

Win.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Really digging the supposed length honestly. Games are too long these days, 20 hour main story with lots of side content + presumably lots of replayability sounds solid to me.

That said, the mention of bugs + CDPR forcing reviewers to use prerecorded and approved footage instead of their own is a bad look.

There are more than a few photos of the graphical/performance glitches and it isn't like they were prevented from discussing it. That the game is buggy is not a hidden thing at this point.

It will be interesting to see what the Day 0 patch actually addressed.

Desaccorde

MiguelItUp

Strange, pcgamer outright said it was the "day 1" patch but even I doubted it.
That's bizarre.. That being said, I definitely trust Laymen and Yong over PCGamer when it comes to stuff like that, haha. They probably got that patch everyone else talked about and didn't research it properly, lmao.

The games media always looked at CP2077 not as an RPG but a standard bearer for their degenerate ideology. The coverage was always so focused on how many penises you can attach to your MC, who you can have sex with, how many trans people can you have, etc.

Seems like CDPR did a pretty good job of stringing them along over the years, heh nothing personnel sjw
On a base level, I can understand why the game has been designated as this "flag bearer" I just disagree with the notion of dedicating the majority of your review over how good of a job it handles stuff surrounding representation

- that's not a review. It's a wishlist -

If you want to make those points about the game, great! Perhaps put it in a more fitting medium such as a blog post or long form critique.

I certainly take no issue with the fact that minorities may find this stuff undercooked, but a review should be strictly about what the game is and not what you want it to be.

I can't stand the gender politic grandstanding that occurs within the medium. No other art form is subject to this much scrutiny.

Bartski

Gold Member
Not going to be until the get the patch out next year, I believe.
yeah but I mean the embargo is down so it's "legal" to show high res direct feed of both versions side by side as they will run on launch night right? I'll look around

Exactly, it just shows you the world and expects you to be smart enough to draw your own conclusions. But these people like stories that bludgeon you over the head with their politics, which is why they make such bad writers.

You mean the type of shit woke writers on Vice, Polygon etc?

kiryani

Gotta say my hyped has lowered quite a bit by all mentions of glitches and bugs. Kinda used to a buggy and janky game after Control and AC: Valhalla. Control with the map bug and some audio bug and Valhalla with tons of weird glitches.

Sounds like you would prefer call of duty over a huge expansive RPG

FunkMiller

Fucking *thank you*

I swear half these people have never seen a Cyberpunk movie or played a game in the genre in their lives.

The entire genre is built around critique of unhinged corporate/government handholding that destroys the lower/middle classes and lets the rich live (literally, see: Alita, Blade Runner, etc.) above the lower classes...

Why the fuck does anyone need exposition on a genre that has had its roots established for decades? It's like seeing Star Wars and being pissed they didn't explain why every city/planet isn't some futuristic equality utopia.

Fuck me, you think any of those cretins have even heard of William Gibson, let alone read Neuromancer?

To them, cyberpunk is this:

Last edited:
Hello good people, I am new here. I want to escape the absolute lunacy on Era, where I've been intermittently participating for a few years. I think I've had enough. I don't feel that you can discuss anything in that place anymore. It's always been an issue with their echo-chamber, but now it's just getting worse and worse. The plot is completely lost over there. You can not be a simple, regular human in that place (I was also born male, white and privileged, for which I will never apologize). At this point I hate whatever the fuck Era is as much as I hate right wing racists, incels and other shitheels. Era's brand of fascist wokeness is fucking awful :(

Yay Cyberpunk! Looking forward to getting my PC physical box in the mail soon. The game looks awesome... albeit buggy.
Where’d you order from? Really wanted the collectors edition but alas

ebevan91

A shorter main campaign is absolutely fine with me. I know the game in total will clock much longer for me. I don't have fucking time for a 60 hour main quest anymore!
I played AC Valhalla for around 60 hours while I was in quarantine with COVID last month and I’m still not at 50% completion yet and I’m not even doing all of the optional stuff. I’m actually glad 2077 will be a shorter game but with more replayability.

CloudNull

Banned
Based on what I have seen, I think Cyberpunk is so overrated but this cancel culture around it is disgusting. I haven't even followed all the drama around Cyberpunk but if you can't even discuss the game, what's the point of having a forum, which is supposed to be an exchange of ideas around games. I was banned multiple times on Resetera for stating my opinion that the mods didn't like. It's not a forum. They don't like diversity. It's a cult that peddles the same ideas. You can get banned for stating an opinion against the established ones.

Even some of the reviews on Cyberpunk are laughable. One review was talking about Trans representation and the working conditions at CD PROJEKT RED. I can't believe these reviewers are paid for that. We live in a world where everybody is so easily offended and expect fucking videogames to push their own fucking social agendas. What videogame should we cancel next?

You and I never see eye to eye over on the politics side but we can agree on this. Crazy that talking about certain games can get people banned.

Reviewers should focus on the product and what's in the game. It sucks that video game journalism has become this. Its all good, more and more people are seeking out untraditional media for their analyzes of games.

Last edited:

showernota

I was going to upgrade my PC for this, but now I might just snag a PS5 (if I can lol) when the next gen patch drops.

Also there's a lot of
GrandioseHeavyKawala-max-1mb.gif

in the loony bin.

So since this would be bannable on ERA I have to ask it here: why cant a mature, 18+ game actually have misogynistic, racist or transphobic characters and ads, even more in a cyberpunk universe? They exist in movies. In books. Makes me think that games are still seen as toys for children and the narrative can't have characters with those horrible traits which would be fair game in a narrative.

Also bonus points for cool side quests with them where in the end you can chop their heads off.

Isa

Fuck it, people of the gaf recommend me ONE video review to watch
I found YongYea's review to be quite good. He's quite honest as to how he played the game and the limits on what CD Projekt placed on reviews. Also on how the game plays as well as the bugs he encountered and the mid patch he played with, he said that a floating gun bug persisted but after starting a new character it wasn't there anymore. Could help determine one's desire to either wait or just play through with potential bugs popping up. I've waited to long to wait anymore, and most bugs don't, uh, bug me.

Top Bottom