• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

Tesseract

Banned
'dark and disturbing at times (frighteningly so)'

tumblr_o6nts8RudQ1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Last edited:

Ogbert

Gold Member
Much better reviews than I was expecting.

An incredibly ambitious game like this will always have flaws. Can't wait to get into it.

And the talentless woke dildos that just wants a 'My Little Trans Pony' experience can fuck off. Why do Gamespot insist on wheeling out that Plagge clown for these sorts of review?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A reminder to people that New Vegas only got an 84% at release on MetaCritic, mostly due to bugs. Yet people still play it 10 years later and call it one of the greatest RPGs ever.

I'm not worried if bugs are dragging down the score. It'll be fine over time.
Yep, that's the reason I don't mind waiting for an Enhanced or Goty or whatever edition. Give me the unbugged experience.

Still I'll be reading people opinions here, about the game on launch. Maybe the day 1 patch delivers.

TriSuit666

Banned

The ads are one of many, many aesthetic choices in Cyberpunk 2077 that are grating with no real point. There's one ad in particular that was the topic of much discussion pre-release; it features a feminine person with a giant, exaggerated, veiny erection in their leotard and advertises a drink called Chromanticore with the tagline "mix it up." It is everywhere. And while the "purpose" of it may be to show what a sex-obsessed, superficial, exploitative place Night City is, there's nothing in the main story or any of the side quests I did that gives it even that much context--I found just one message on one of the many computers I logged into that commented on how low-brow Night City culture is. The result is that there's a fetishization of trans people at every turn, in a game with only one very minor trans character (that I found, at least) and no way to play as an authentically trans character yourself.

tenor.gif

I think this reviewer is definitely misunderstanding the reasoning behind the corporate culture on display - I was watching one stream and it seems the advertising is a character of itself in the game, indeed there are TV channels which simply show adverts 24-7.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

3/5

Alright I read through this review and it doesn't complain about anything offensive but it does complain about something I was really worried, the verticality of the world being fake. All the latest videos have shown me that they steered away from indoor exploration and just went with some cybepunk GTA and this reviewer confirms that. Most of the city is basically an exterior showcase and while you can go up, exploring interiors like in Deus Ex is not what the game offers, at least not much. Instead it just gives you quests and you go there and complete them. He says they dont feel natural, connected and the guy weirdly says that there are no options to complete quests without violence which I'm pretty sure CDPR confirmed you could but I guess they lied? Not sure what to believe now but I've skeemed through some of the other low scores and they all say the same things, besides the usual "blablabla offended". Guess CDPR did bite more than they could chew and promised a lot they couldnt deliver. It will still be a great game no doubt but I really wanted a cyberpunk game where I could explore vertically and inside buildings. No idea why I have this weird fetish but w/e.

Skifi28

Reviewing the game while not being able to show footage that isn't provided by the the publisher.....ouch

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Sure are a lot of "Chock full of bugs, and gltiches" 4/5 posts. Do these reviewers even give lower than 4s? Guess they too afraid of being blacklisted by developers.

Bugs and glitches aren't the worst thing in the world.
The elder scrolls games were always fun, even with the bugs. Hell, the bugs are super entertaining most of the time.

The only bugs that worry me are those of the game-breaking sort. --The rest will be patched out and make for some funny youtube clips.

thatJohann

With all these bugs, I feel it's best to wait until next year to play it. Sounds like we will be playing a very unpolished and incomplete game this week.

I'm sure they have a bunch of updates lined up in their roadmap going into next year.

hollams

Gold Member
So the Day 1 patch looks to be coming out exactly on Day 1. Hopefully some of the worst bugs will be fixed.

"Crunch is bad!"

"Why wasn't more time spent working out the bugs!"

She's hot though so I'll allow it

The Crazy/Hot scale is an unbiased tool that will stand the test of time.

Seems like the game is doing really well overall so eh.
I give her a 6/10 but that's good enough for the thirsty nerds at gamespot to give her a job she is not capable of doing. Oh well, makes for good entertainment though, laughed a bit when reading her review.

kiryani

Is there any valid reason whatsoever for CDPR not to have the day 1 patch live for reviewers?

Loads of people reading about bugs that won’t be present when they play the game.

They delayed it because of the bugs, but are getting judged on the final product with the bugs? Seems weird.

Gamezone

Gold Member
With all these bugs, I feel it's best to wait until next year to play it. Sounds like we will be playing a very unpolished and incomplete game this week.

I'm sure they have a bunch of updates lined up in their roadmap going into next year.

But the day one patch... :p

Alright I read through this review and it doesn't complain about anything offensive but it does complain about something I was really worried, the verticality of the world being fake. All the latest videos have shown me that they steered away from indoor exploration and just went with some cybepunk GTA and this reviewer confirms that. Most of the city is basically an exterior showcase and while you can go up, exploring interiors like in Deus Ex is not what the game offers, at least not much. Instead it just gives you quests and you go there and complete them. He says they dont feel natural, connected and the guy weirdly says that there are no options to complete quests without violence which I'm pretty sure CDPR confirmed you could but I guess they lied? Not sure what to believe now but I've skeemed through some of the other low scores and they all say the same things, besides the usual "blablabla offended". Guess CDPR did bite more than they could chew and promised a lot they couldnt deliver. It will still be a great game no doubt but I really wanted a cyberpunk game where I could explore vertically and inside buildings. No idea why I have this weird fetish but w/e.

Yes and the story not being fleshed out and writing being strange is unfortunate.

THEAP99

Banned
It appears that while Cyberpunk is another great open world game from CDPROJEKTRED, even on the PC version it doesn't surpass the best of the industry:

Such as Red Dead 2, Witcher 3, TLOU2. It barely beats horizon zero dawn though.

Maybe CDPR executives are holding emergency meetings at this point.

Somehow the mostly positive previews of the past months have not materialized in stellar scores. I would say this will impact sales, but that's just my prediction based on how TW3 peaked. Beyond the bugs, which no doubt CDPR will address in time and down the road, who knows, maybe, even revamp the whole QA department, here we come to the problem CDPR now faces for the expansions and TW4:

The zeitgeist has changed. A certain brand of left-wing politics is now pervasive .A number of high profile journalists have become outspoken activists. I fear CDPR might be tempted to cave in to get back to the good graces of the media professionals.

Edit: To be clear, I am not suggesting the low scores are simply a by product of left activism. No buggy game deserves a perfect score. I am addressing the reasons both Gamespot and Polygon explicitly cited for their overall score.

And, If I had to take a wild fact-free guess, the release date of Cyberpunk 2077 expansions just got pushed back.

Last edited:

Hugare

0.3% of people identify as transgender in America. Why are reviews obsessing over not just a minority, but an extreme minority?
And it's not like the game is trying to say "kill trans people"

It has an ad of a woman that could be trans. Maybe she isnt even trans.

And there are other ads sexualizing cis men and women the same way

So ... I trully dont get it

Saber

Lmao of course the GameSpot review is from Kallie Plagge. I found that she underrated Days Gone, so it wouldn't shock me to see that being the case here.

Now all makes sense. No wonder that review is full of crap, like complaining about cars being cars.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Is there any valid reason whatsoever for CDPR not to have the day 1 patch live for reviewers?

Loads of people reading about bugs that won’t be present when they play the game.

They delayed it because of the bugs, but are getting judged on the final product with the bugs? Seems weird.

A review copy with this many bugs will still have tons of bugs after the patch.

Astorian

Reading some of the reviews has me a little worried about the buggy state of the game, I didn’t expect it to be at this level but damn, that also appears to be the most negative thing about the game, some of them also talk about poor world building and representation. All in all, game really could have been given more time.

Top Bottom