• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D.C. bar is serving a "Pill Cosby" cocktail

johnsmith

remember me
https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/...y-pop-up-bar-is-serving-bill-cosby-cocktails/

59232bf52000003a0016e33d.png

Ben’s Chili Bowl may have finally distanced itself from Bill Cosby by removing its controversial mural, but another 14th/U Street Corridor restaurant is now referencing the actor and alleged sexual predator. Diet Starts Monday, an experimental new restaurant/retail pop-up concept in the former BBQ Joint space, is pouring “Pill Cosby” cocktails—complete with a garnish of empty capsules.

Co-founder Davin Gentry, who launched the Diet Starts Monday clothing and sneaker line with DC natives John Geiger and Kevin “Scooty” Hallums, says the tequila-based hibiscus drink is partially meant to bring awareness to drugging in bars.

“It lets people be a little more aware,” says Gentry.
Jury selection for Cosby’s trial, in which he’s accused of drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand, started Monday. At least 60 women have accused Cosby of varying degrees of sexual assault and harassment, according to the Washington Post.
Gentry says the pill-topped cocktail, which appears on a list of others named after African-American celebrities with ties to DC (i.e. Dave Chapelle, Taraji P. Henson), also plays into the diet themes that run through the menu and clothes. Like the rest of brand, it’s meant to push boundaries.

Man, I bet they thought this was fucking hilarious when they came up with it.

Edit: boy that was quick

Or8F8i.png

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Why doesn't the Marrion Barry have powdered sugar sprinkled on the rim or something.

How are we supposed to know the bitch set me up?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Marlon BrandyO comes with a stick of butter instead of a piece of fruit or one of those little drink umbrellas.

I was right at that place a few weeks ago but didn't go in.

I really doubt this is to "raise awareness" about anything other than the restaurant.

Friggz

This is where I land. I'll say I support this drink...until the story that one of the empty capsules in a person's drink wasn't actually empty.

still problematic b/c it puts the impetus on the woman to not be raped instead of on the man to not be a rapist.

Also, this is oddly dated as the cosby stuff came out years ago.

The Kree

Banned
still problematic b/c it puts the impetus on the woman to not be raped instead of on the man to not be a rapist.

No it doesn't. We tell kids to look both ways before crossing the street. That doesn't absolve drivers of running over children. Neither telling women to watch their drinks nor telling men to not be rapists is 100% effective, so we do both. It's fucked up that it has to be said, but it still has to be said. That's the shitty world we live in.

So what, you recommend we wait for people to drug the chicks first and let everyone live naively without thinking about their own safety?

When I was a kid, we had a series of adverts on road safety. They had hedgehogs singing pun songs. Is that problematic because it puts the impetus on the pedestrian to be careful rather than the person driving unsafely?

No it doesn't. We tell kids to look both ways before crossing the street. That doesn't absolve drivers of running over children. Neither telling women to watch their drinks nor telling men to not be rapists is 100% effective, so we do both. It's fucked up that it has to be said, but it still has to be said. That's the shitty world we live in.

Damnit dude. I don't mind you beating me to responding, but you totally stole my angle. >:[

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'd try it, if I ever happened upon that bar. It's bar humor, i don't see how it could be any worse than a comedy skit or something.

Corpekata

Banned
I love that they are doing the "it's a social experiment" route of trying to make their lame joke out to be some public service.

mas8705

Can't wait to see someone try and swap out those pills for actual pills. You know there is going to be that one guy who is going to haphazardly try and pull that stunt and it is going to get posted all over the web.

Top Bottom