• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D4 |OT| Dark Dreams Don't Die

Finally got around to finishing this today. Far and away my GOTY so far, nothing has come close. I took my sweet ass time, trying to find everything I possibly could and still managed to miss things on my first playthrough. I think I put around 8 or 9 hours in total.

Definitely eager to go back in and find everything.

Cheddahz

Banned
https://twitter.com/Swery65/status/516155380632526849

Poor Swery :( he's such a wonderful designer and creator, he shouldn't have to deal with that horrible crowd!

The fact that he is even dealing with everyone (there have been some nasty tweets the last few days) shows that the dude cares and I applaud him for that (though I don't think he should be getting the tweets that he has been getting and I don't think anyone deserves them)

DO NOT READ THIS UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE COMPLETED EPISODE 2!
Major Plot Spoilers + Speculation follows:

Real Blood
the super drug, how does it tie into all this? It clearly gave Philip Cheney electrical super powers, and abuse of it seems to result in spontaneous combustion according to news articles. Is Real Blood connected to the fact that all the blood was drained from Little Peggy's corpse?

I suspect that's also the cause of David's diving ability somehow.

Yup, I was beginning to think that it's somehow
driving David's powers. The conversation David had with Peggy was especially poignant in the cargo area where she told him about Real Blood giving people powers. Although, we don't see David ever take it so my theory is that Kaysen is putting it into his food to somehow serve his own purpose. Possibly Kaysen is the Real Blood honcho himself?

Major Deadly Premonition spoilers:
When they introduced Kaysen right in the beginning, I was thinking to myself, "There's no way they'd make a person with the same build and the same name the villain again, right?" I'm still 50/50 on whether this is a red herring or not.

August's hair turned white OVER NIGHT, which is both a Twin Peaks reference and sign that August is up to some bad shit. Did David (or August) kill Little Peggy or is there actually a third party involved?

Wow, great catch on
the Twin Peaks reference, I forgot about that! Would not be surprised at all to see some other parallels in that arc.

What's with the repeated "It's like I've grown wings" line that Peggy says. Is she high on Real Blood?

What about Little Peggy's pregnancy? Did the baby die? Was the baby taken?

Regarding your first point, that was also my guess.
Whether she took it of her own accord is another story, since she doesn't seem like the type to dabble in that sort of thing.

I don't think that
the baby was taken and was killed instead. There's a scene in chapter 2 where Peggy is in the hallway, bloody. She's clutching her stomach and it looks like she was shot in the stomach.

August Oldmann is clearly a future version of David Young. Literally Oldman Young. Look at this picture. Aside from appearance, there are other clues like the fact that they disguise his voice and Little Peggy remembering similarities such as the fact that August played hockey just like David. So why would David go back in time to raise his wife? Desperation to change the past and control future events? Is Kaysen loyal to Oldmann?

I don't necessarily have answers but
I realized this too as their eyes are identical. However, I just realized that when August says, "Would you change the past?" that perhaps August is a David who has already tried this once and failed, or maybe even succeeded. Maybe his goal was to kill Little Peggy and her child to prevent someone from using them to create an ultimate strain of Real Blood? I'm already picturing David working bringing Little Peggy back and a penultimate Real Blood boss fight with Kaysen or something.

To the points I didn't address, I don't have much to say other than great observations guys. Definitely got me thinking! And uh...apologies for the wall.

jgminto

Yup, I was beginning to think that it's somehow
driving David's powers. The conversation David had with Peggy was especially poignant in the cargo area where she told him about True Blood giving people powers. Although, we don't see David ever take it so my theory is that Kaysen is putting it into his food to somehow serve his own purpose. Possibly Kaysen is the True Blood honcho himself?
Well
David was apparently an undercover cop in a Real Blood case so that could be related to why he got these powers too. And since he lost all of his memories of that he wouldn't know.
Major Deadly Premonition spoilers:
When they introduced Kaysen right in the beginning, I was thinking to myself, "There's no way they'd make a person with the same build and the same name the villain again, right?" I'm still 50/50 on whether this is a red herring or not.
Forrest Kaysen was also a character in Spy Fiction, the game Swery made prior to Deadly Premonition (General Lysander also appeared in both games but I don't think he's been referenced in D4 yet). He was an evil scientist in that game but not the big bad. I don't think that necessarily means this Forrest is bad though. It could be a way to make the player cast doubt on this one due to the previous ones. Though he obviously has some secrets going on.

Yuterald

Finally, I finished Episode 2...how could they leave us hanging like that!? Ugh...going to be even more upset if what Swery says is true. Ar e there really no episodes planned at the moment? Is the continuation of this game really going to depend on the sales of the first season? Regardless, this has been my favorite gaming experience of the year. Easily my GOTY right now.

By the way, so many achievements have not been unlocking. I hard reset my system once and that seemed to help with some, but most are not popping still. Any other know quick fixes for this?

Is there a good way to see how recently the game saved? Played a bit earlier then quit, and when I started it back up I'd lost 10-15 minutes and had to do a bunch over again

jgminto

I finally got all of the scrapbook articles and letters. Some really interesting ones. I also noticed something interesting when playing through Episode 1 again.
When you talk to the detective after traveling further back in time, the file he's reading shows a woman with the last name "Morgan". A woman...with the last name of Morgan who's death is connected to the case of the red powder. Isn't that interesting, Zach?

Is there a good way to see how recently the game saved? Played a bit earlier then quit, and when I started it back up I'd lost 10-15 minutes and had to do a bunch over again

Just use the phone before you quit.

Hubble

Dumb question: Can you play this game in the dark with Kinect?

Bought it awhile ago, and haven't got to it with a backlog and wondering.

Thanks.

Dumb question: Can you play this game in the dark with Kinect?

Bought it awhile ago, and haven't got to it with a backlog and wondering.

Thanks.

Yes. I played in the dark at first, then later I added some ambient light out of fear that the lack of light is causing additional lag in the clover mini-game, but I think that was just my paranoia talking. It should work fine in the dark.

jgminto

Yes. I played in the dark at first, then later I added some ambient light out of fear that the lack of light is causing additional lag in the clover mini-game, but I think that was just my paranoia talking. It should work fine in the dark.

Screw that clover minigame. I keep failing at 1150.

jgminto

Just got 1201, almost had a heart attack!

Only got the money, food list, alcohol, fortune cookie and 75% observation achievements left now.

I guess the costumes won't be FREE forever, download them while you can!
YNhfwgW.png

TK Turk

Banned
For you did it seem uninteresting, or just frustrating? I have it, but haven't started yet. Trying to adjust expectations.

The story was interesting for sure, just didn't like the gameplay. Seemed very linear to me. I wasn't sure what to expect, I've never played The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us so I figured I'd give this a try because as a kid I loved the Monkey Island series and the Indiana Jones games.

I was disappointed in the locations, especially for episode 2, and how much I could actually explore them.

Another major gripe of mine was the use of the controller. I have a kinect, but decided to use the controller. You can play through the game easily enough with the controller but don't expect to get a decent score during any of the action sequences. The joystick cursor just moves too slow. It was very frustrating.

To put it into perspective, I also feel that Valiant Hearts is grossly overrated. When I play a game, I want to play a game, not read a story. That's what I felt like I was doing here too.

Gestault

The story was interesting for sure, just didn't like the gameplay. Seemed very linear to me. I wasn't sure what to expect, I've never played The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us so I figured I'd give this a try because as a kid I loved the Monkey Island series and the Indiana Jones games.

I was disappointed in the locations, especially for episode 2, and how much I could actually explore them.

Another major gripe of mine was the use of the controller. I have a kinect, but decided to use the controller. You can play through the game easily enough with the controller but don't expect to get a decent score during any of the action sequences. The joystick cursor just moves too slow. It was very frustrating.

To put it into perspective, I also feel that Valiant Hearts is grossly overrated. When I play a game, I want to play a game, not read a story. That's what I felt like I was doing here too.

Thanks for the detailed response. I sort of thrive on stuff like this if I'm coming to the game a little later.

jgminto

Is there any way to check the episode results you get other than when you complete the episode? I think it would be useful.

jgminto

Oh wow, the record version of the main theme is an extended version. It's so cool. I can't wait for the soundtrack release.

Mr White

This game is amazing and hilarious. 15 dollars well spent.
I'm little bit dissapointed in ending.
Was hoping this will not go to crazy superpowers

just gonna leave us hanging like that?

http://www.trueachievements.com/a190364/hard-worker-achievement.htm?showguides=1

There is a way to farm credits 1,000 (or more!) at a time without moving from the spot you're standing on, but it requires a bit of set-up.

First, you can play through the game completely. Be sure to activate the Clover Touch mini-game by speaking to Roland Walken near the end of Episode 2 (in the cargo hold). This appears as an extra case in a blue dialogue box when you speak with him. Complete the case by finishing the mini-game and then feel free to complete the entire game. Once you've done so, choose to replay a chapter from the main menu. Select any chapter and make your way to your bedroom. On the end-table near the hallway door (inside your bedroom), there will now be a Roland doll which--when interacted with--will activate the Clover Touch mini-game inside your room.

Now, play the mini-game to the point where you unlock the MVP Score Hunter achievement (you will need to score higher than 1,200 points). This took me around a dozen tries and is partially luck-based, so keep at it and you'll get it before long. When you succeed, you will be awarded with some items and 1,000 credits.

Next, feel free to save your game at the phone in the hallway. Return to your bedroom and once again pick up the Roland doll (you can hit cn_B twice to skip the brief mini-game set-up scene to save time). Once the game starts, immediately hit cn_B. The game will ask if you want to give up or continue. Choose give up and the game will end. HOWEVER, the game tells you that your final score is whatever your LAST final score was (mine was just over 1,400) and award you with 1,000 credits.

Now, all you need to do is pick up the doll again, hit cn_B to skip the brief cut-scene, hit cn_B again as soon as the game starts, quit out, collect your 1,000 credits, and repeat. You can exit to the hallway and save your game as many times as you like, but keep in mind that if you exit to the main menu and try to continue from that save you will need to re-play the mini-game and set this situation up again. Your score does NOT carry over if you exit and return to the same save point, so once you have a good score going, farm as much as you want/need before exiting the game.

NOTE: Leaving the room, diving to the plane, etc., within that chapter does not seem to reset this situation, as long as you don't exit to the main menu or shut off the game. Also, on my second farming session, I managed to earn over 1,500 points in the mini-game, which netted me 1,500 credits each time!

Very efficient way of getting credits. I made the 50K I needed for the achievement in about 20 mins.

jgminto

Yeah that's what I was wondering. I was worried I might have missed it in the deliveries since I got one food item.

Yeah that's what I was wondering. I was worried I might have missed it in the deliveries since I got one food item.
If it's an unlockable, I'm not sure I have anything else left to do. I guess it could be DLC, but all the other DLC is groups of 4 items.

Oh, and going by the other missing numbers we've got at least 6 more "collaboration" costume packs. Halo and Forza seem obvious, but I have no idea what else to expect. Quantum Break? Crackdown? Scalebound?

If it's an unlockable, I'm not sure I have anything else left to do. I guess it could be DLC, but all the other DLC is groups of 4 items.

Oh, and going by the other missing numbers we've got at least 6 more "collaboration" costume packs. Halo and Forza seem obvious, but I have no idea what else to expect. Quantum Break? Crackdown? Scalebound?
If they continue the trend of basing the DLC on Microsoft IPs, they'll have lots of options if they look at Rare's and Twisted Pixel's games.

SerTapTap

Awesome. So, you guys think this confirms more episodes?

Well, it confirms they kind of give a fuck and will promote it more. More episodes may still depend on how it performs post marketing.

Still, good to hear they're at least going to try and market it more.

statham

Awesome. So, you guys think this confirms more episodes?

maybe I'm reading too much with a wink, but in the same tweet line swery gave a wink.

SWERY ‏@Swery65 7h6 hours ago

; ) “@Neural_: @XboxP3 @AH_EddieWn that's great Phil! Awesome game, really deserved! And pleeeease greenlight the remaining episodes!”

Top Bottom