• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daft Punk - RAM lOTl - They're nice robots, they chose to stay.

IceCold

Man, I like Daft Punk and all, but they must be the most overrated band going at the moment. Looking forward to this, but there's plenty of people out there doing similar things that are just as good without 1/10th of the hype.

Not really. Very few people can do what they did with the Alive 2007 tour and looking at the people working on this album, it's hype is 100% justified. They are working with people that have produced some of the best songs and albums of all time.

Plus their hype gets inflated due to their robot persona. There's a certain mysticism about them.

Polari

Not really. Very few people can do what they did with the Alive 2007 tour and looking at the people working on this album, it's hype is 100% justified. They are working with people that have produced some of the best songs and albums of all time.

Plus their hype gets inflated due to their robot persona. There's a certain mysticism about them.

wat

jtb

Banned
Man, I like Daft Punk and all, but they must be the most overrated band going at the moment. Looking forward to this, but there's plenty of people out there doing similar things that are just as good without 1/10th of the hype.

They're both overrated and really good.

And Panda Bear.

Servbot24

Banned

While it's true they're very overhyped, be glad that it's going to artists that at least deserve some degree of credit. Could be a lot worse.

...And it could be a lot better but oh well ;)

IceCold

I don't have anything else to say so I'll just post this badass gif instead.

iVymX0D94VamW.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fiDbI34OYQ

Fjordson

I don't know if overrated is the right term. They're putting a lot of effort into the whole marketing and hype aspect of this album and thus this release is getting a lot of attention. It's also their first studio release in a long time and they're coming off a pretty massive tour plus a well received film score. There's a lot of pent up excitement for new Daft Punk music.

Also, I'll admit to finding the whole robot look to be kinda neat.

Is it superficial? Sure. The music is what counts, no matter how shiny their helmets are. But people like getting excited about things. Especially when other people are excited about that same thing. It's fun. I'm sure if others put as much work into pre-release media and hype for their albums they'd get a lot of attention also since you are right in saying there are a ton of great artists working today, but they don't. Some because they don't have the means, some because they choose not to.

Not everyone can be as in tune with music as people like you (not sarcastic since your avatar is Lawrence, what a legend).

Shaneus

I like how the release dates aren't mentioned in alphabetical order or the dates the album's actually released, but how the US is first. Yay!

Otherwise, 'mazin' OP... top work _b

-GJ-

I like how the release dates aren't mentioned in alphabetical order or the dates the album's actually released, but how the US is first. Yay!

Otherwise, 'mazin' OP... top work _b

Most GAF'ers are from the US. It's the most important release date for GAF Punk, I guess. That's the reason why I put it at the top even though I'm from Holland, haha.

Polari

I don't know if overrated is the right term. They're putting a lot of effort into the whole marketing and hype aspect of this album and thus this release is getting a lot of attention. It's also their first studio release in a long time and they're coming off a pretty massive tour plus a well received film score. There's a lot of pent up excitement for new Daft Punk music.

Also, I'll admit to finding the whole robot look to be kinda neat.

Is it superficial? Sure. The music is what counts, no matter how shiny their helmets are. But people like getting excited about things. Especially when other people are excited about that same thing. It's fun. I'm sure if others put as much work into pre-release media and hype for their albums they'd get a lot of attention also since you are right in saying there are a ton of great artists working today, but they don't. Some because they don't have the means, some because they choose not to.

Not everyone can be as in tune with music as people like you (not sarcastic since your avatar is Lawrence, what a legend).

Good points. I just find it curious. Homework aside, neither Discovery nor Human After All were exactly met with universal critical acclaim (in the case of Human After All it was the opposite, although I really like it). Their last three studios albums charted at 150, 44 and 98 on the US charts, and although they're undoubtedly more popular in Europe, I would be surprised if this one doesn't hit close to number one in the US this time around. I guess the single has a lot to do with it, but there was plenty of hype even before that. They've definitely got savvy marketing brains.

Servbot24

Banned
Good points. I just find it curious. Homework aside, neither Discovery nor Human After All were exactly met with universal critical acclaim (in the case of Human After All it was the opposite, although I really like it). Their last three studios albums charted at 150, 44 and 98 on the US charts, and although they're undoubtedly more popular in Europe, I would be surprised if this one doesn't hit close to number one in the US this time around. I guess the single has a lot to do with it, but there was plenty of hype even before that. They've definitely got savvy marketing brains.

They're certainly more notable for their marketing than they are for their music. And if anything, I think Get Lucky tempered the hype.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

What?

Discovery was the album that blew them up.

Top Bottom