• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daily Show host Trevor Noah says people see Antifa as "Vegan Isis"

Gaz_RB

Y'all are freaking out. I watched this segment last night and Trevor was on point.

The people he's talking about in the video are bored neckbeards, not any sort of viable movement.

Didn't some right-wing nut drive a car through a crowd of people killing one lady?

And we're comparing smashing windows to isis?

Half that segment is him making fun of Fox News' over exaggerated response to the violence, where commentators mention that Antifa should be added to the terrorist watch list (and pointing out the hypocrisy that they didn't mention that kind of stuff during the Charlottesville violence)

shamanick

Didn't some right-wing nut drive a car through a crowd of people killing one lady?

Telling isn't it

Criticizing something is not the same as saying its the exact same as something else. The fact that property destruction is not one of our goals is exactly what the fuck we're talking about. It could even be people paid to make us look bad, and yet to question it is to push the narrative that we are as bad as nazis? That is not the same thing. Not everything is "both sides narrative".

There have been a flood of op eds and thinkpieces equating Antifa to neo-Nazis. And comparing something to ISIS is a particular type of criticism

Kyzer

Banned
pushing any kind of "both sides" narrative sure is. that should be black and white to anyone with a brain.

property destruction has been incidental and marginal and certainly hasn't been the goal of any major group at these events. something like that will always end up happening, if you want absolutely none of it then you want no protests and no confrontation with the nazis.

Criticizing something is not the same as saying its the exact same as something else. The fact that property destruction is not one of our goals is exactly what the fuck we're talking about. It could even be people paid to make us look bad, and yet to question it is to push the narrative that we are as bad as nazis? That is not the same thing. Not everything is "both sides narrative". You are essentially saying that to question anything that anyone does who so much as says they are antifa is the same as saying "we are as bad as nazis.".

historically it's to be expected. centrists have more in common with the right than they do with the left and will side with fascists before leftists.

What a load of tosh. I've spoken to so many animal rights activists, who had their year long political work and lobbying undone by some fuckboys breaking into labs, farms, destroying equipment and creating property damage, ultimately not even saving animals, because they didn't have the capabilities to care for all these animals.

And that's just one example. Rioting antifa idiots, smashing cars and windows have created a fertile ground for right wing propaganda to influence centrists into believing the both sides are equally bad myths.

And that's in central europe, where left parties are much beter established than the US (where let's face it, the left doesn't really have political establishment. The Democrats wouldn't even be considered centre left here)

The actions of a few can and have destroyed whole movements, so this constant deflection by the left as centrists being automatically right wing is nothing but a load of intellectually lazy horseshit. Stop using the word historically to support your make-believe hogwash, when you obviously have not even the faintest understanding of it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Silly me. Here I thought all this time that people who oppose neo-nazi's were just called "regular people"

katkombat

Banned
Stupid on multiple levels. And using "vegan" as an insult? Was the writer a 13 year old EpicMealTime youtube video commenter?

Oh come on. Vegan clearly wasn't the insult at all, stupid as it may have been.

Seems to me he has a stance against violence. Answering the neo nazi violence with more violence is .... wrong.

This. Not saying what he said was "right" but his point still stands about violence within groups such as those mentioned.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Obviously Nazis are the fucking worst. What does that have to do with these guys smashing windows and associating it with the counter-fascist movement?

Nazis are the worst

Won't someone think of the windows

Feel free to multitask all you want. Any help you can provide in identifying the real threat from the left would be very much appreciated by the federal government.

It's funny to think that, had Trump not both sidesed and threw the alt-left into his unhinged rant, this segment probably wouldn't exist and we'd be arguing about something relevant to our problems right now.

Kyzer

Banned
Telling isn't it

There have been a flood of op eds and thinkpieces equating Antifa to neo-Nazis. And comparing something ISIS is a particular type of criticism

Do you think when Trevor said people think of Antifa as kind of a "vegan ISIS", on the daily show, on comedy central, that he was saying antifascists are as bad as isis, or that he was making a joke, as a comedian, about peoples perceptions of Antifa?

Nazis are the worst

Won't someone think of the windows

Feel free to multitask all you want. Any help you can provide in identifying the real threat from the left would be very much appreciated by the federal government.

It's funny to think that, had Trump not both sidesed and threw the alt-left into his unhinged rant, this segment probably wouldn't exist and we'd be arguing about something relevant to our problems right now.

So you think Trevor Noah and me and a few other people in this thread talking about smashing windows are agreeing with Trump that the violence in Charlottesville was both sides fault? I hope you understand not only how much you're reaching, and not only how ironic it is that you talk about Trump "both sides"ing but then proceed to equate us talking about anarchists fucking with the reputation of the liberal cause to blaming a tragic death of an innocent person by a nazi on both sides, but also just how fucking offensive what you're saying to me is. And for what? To make some smartass point about how Im too moderate? To reject your own kind in an effort to let me know how not liberal enough I am?

cackhyena

pushing any kind of "both sides" narrative sure is. that should be black and white to anyone with a brain.

property destruction has been incidental and marginal and certainly hasn't been the goal of any major group at these events. something like that will always end up happening, if you want absolutely none of it then you want no protests and no confrontation with the nazis.

Might wanna take your own advice, being willing to throw out that "both sides" horseshit so freely. Criticizing something I agree with on the whole because it works against the movement doesn't make me anything but someone "with a brain" seeing a problem.

I agree it's a relatively small issue. It's still an issue. It doesn't make me centrist, fascist, or brainless. Jesus.

Because it hasn't been posted in this thread yet

tolerance.png

Tolerance of bigots is not the answer.

Good meme and all, tad simplistic. Being against antifa doesn't mean being tolerant to nazies. Quite the strawman to equate so. Fun meme nonetheless.

shamanick

Do you think when Trevor said people think of Antifa as kind of a "vegan ISIS", on the daily show, on comedy central, that he was saying antifascists are as bad as isis, or that he was making a joke, as a comedian, about peoples perceptions of Antifa?

I mean I get that he's joking I just don't think it's particularly funny

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

I think he said "Vegan ISIS" as in "Diet Terrorism".

Poor choice of words, and to be fair, you're right.

There's much worse shit to be condemning.

But to maintain some semblance of order the good side needs to play smarter.

If the goal is to overpower and not outplay the Neo Nazis then destruction is sure to follow.

I'm not a big fan of the scorched earth tactics.

jtb

Banned
my biggest issue with antifa is their lack of a coherent ideology (or at least voicing that ideology) and their terrible messaging. both fixable. but I don't really think that they will be, because I think the coalition is made up of two wildly disparate ideological groups that actually share only tactical goals, but not outcome goals.

It's hard for me to get worked up about the entire left being painted with the antifa brush. That's nothing new.

stupei

I don't disagree with Trevor that property damage makes a movement look bad to moderates. (Most forms of protest that they have to take note of make a movement look bad to moderates. A peaceful sit in that might get in the way of their meal looked bad to "moderates.") I also don't prioritize property over violent direct acts and vandalism against minority groups or their places of worship, which have been on the rise this year.

I'm not sure what purpose he thinks this message serves other than to be somewhat self-congratulatory for taking the "right" moderate stance. No one who performs these acts will be convinced by the paternalistic tone. All it really seems likely to do is reassure so-called centrists that they were right all along to disdain and distrust these counter-protestors as a whole -- and I guess start a discussion on GAF, but we hardly need prompting for that.

aeolist

Banned
Might wanna take your own advice, being willing to throw out that "both sides" horseshit so freely. Criticizing something I agree with on the whole because it works against the movement doesn't make me anything but someone "with a brain" seeing a problem.

I agree it's a relatively small issue. It's still an issue. It doesn't make me centrist, fascist, or brainless. Jesus.
it does make you someone who's carrying water for white nationalists

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't disagree with Trevor that property damage makes a movement look bad to moderates. (Most forms of protest that they have to take note of make a movement look bad to moderates. A peaceful sit in that might get in the way of their meal looked bad to "moderates.") I also don't prioritize property over violent direct acts and vandalism against minority groups or their places of worship, which have been on the rise this year.

I'm not sure what purpose he thinks this message serves other than to be somewhat self-congratulatory for taking the "right" moderate stance. No one who performs these acts will be convinced by the paternalistic tone. All it really seems likely to do is reassure so-called centrists that they were right all along to disdain and distrust these counter-protestors.

"Confused" is how I think the clip comes across.

Nipo

Good meme and all, tad simplistic. Being against antifa doesn't mean being tolerant to nazies. Quite the strawman to equate so. Fun meme nonetheless.

I think it is more a fallacy of reduction than strawman. Anti-fa is ONE way to actively oppose nazis. if you aren't taking some active action whether it is protesting, fund raising for opposing groups, etc. than you are being tolents. Not everyone has to punch nazis but punching nazis is one way to be in active opposition of their ideas.

my biggest issue with antifa is their lack of a coherent ideology (or at least voicing that ideology) and their terrible messaging. both fixable. but I don't really think that they will be.

It's hard for me to get worked up about the entire left being painted with the antifa brush. That's nothing new.
The biggest problem is when they hijack legitimate causes and then start mixing it up with anticapitalism, anti-establishment, antieverything else that derides away from the point if the initial counter-protest

legacyzero

Banned
Camparing Antifa with ISIS or literal Nazis is pretty dumb. A bit like saying the Allies are as bad as the Axis.

That said, Antifa themselves are pretty damn bad at times. I've seen videos of them attacking journalists, and people within their own group. That's the part I hate about them. Seeing a lot of misdirected rage instead of pointed efforts. You have to give folks like Antifa credit though. After Charlottesville, I'm all in on the #PunchANazi bandwagon.

Kyzer

Banned

I'm not sure what purpose he thinks this message serves other than to be somewhat self-congratulatory for taking the "right" moderate stance. No one who performs these acts will be convinced by the paternalistic tone. All it really seems likely to do is reassure so-called centrists that they were right all along to disdain and distrust these counter-protestors as a whole -- and I guess start a discussion on GAF, but we hardly need prompting for that.

Maybe he wants people to realize that having extreme anarchists associating themselves with us is a bad thing, maybe distance us and what we want away from that extremist sect a little? Disavow the bad apples so that it doesnt sully our good fight?

jtb

Banned
The biggest problem is when they hijack legitimate causes and then start mixing it up with anticapitalism, anti-establishment, antieverything else that derides away from the point if the initial counter-protest

yup. as I edited my post to add, I think that Antifa is a coalition united by its means (violence or at least willing self-defense) rather than its ends. unless you fix that, it's just another group with outsize self-importance that will achieve nothing.

It serves as an effective auxillary group to the other movements and activists protesting, but I have doubts that it'll ever grow into anything more than a Fox News boogeyman.

hey, if it makes racists afraid to show their face in public because they saw it on Fox News, that's a perfectly acceptable outcome to me.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I think there are people who are not only comfortable with critiquing violent elements of their own 'side', but actively try to root them out and expel them before they become established.

It sounds like a lot of people then immediately respond to these criticisms with a sarcastic 'both sides' meme, or maybe they'll put effort into it and make their points with words (which sincerely, I appreciate).

However, like... What do you want people to do? Do you want them to never criticize the violent elements of their own groups? Is pacifism no longer an acceptable ideology?

I'm not going to get upset if someone in my 'camp' has a slightly different opinion on stuff than me, as long as we generally gel, I think it's valuable that we're not intellectually and politically homogenous - but violence? Never going to be okay with that - punching Nazis isn't ever going to be sexy to me.

Gattsu25

Banned
Colin Kaepernick proves there is no right way to protest white supremacy in America.

In most part, this isn't even about that. It's about the left's tendency to allow the right to dictate the narrative, time and again, because of an overwhelming desire to seem balanced and fair to all perspectives rather than suspicious of intent. If someone's primary concern is whether or not a member of a protesting group called Antifa punched someone at a recent event and not, say, the group of several men who surrounded a black men and beat him with sticks in Charlottesville, I think perhaps that person might be exhibiting certain biases.

Guaranteed the "mainstream public" weren't happy at the Stonewall riots when a bunch of those awful homosexuals ran out of a bar (can you believe these people) to riot in the streets after smashing up property. It's still the only reason I have equal rights as an American. "You only gave us rights because we gave you riots."

The right's primary strategy for years, rather than changing or moderating their position, has been reframing the discussion of the position on the left. That's why they are pro life, even when they want a mother to die in childbirth. That's why they call being gay a sexual preference. A large part of how they have shifted the country ever further right is by controlling the dialogue so thoroughly that it is impossible to take an even moderate progressive stance without being viewed as extremist. As soon as fake news hit the political discourse by actually literally being about conservative websites that were making up stories that never happened, it was co-opted to mean the mainstream press at large. Now no one on the left really even uses the phrase unironically to refer to the actual news that was fake leading into the election anymore. We've almost entirely stopped talking about it, because the right now owns that conversation.

Reframing the discussion to not be about the white supremacists and Nazis, but whether or not the left might be just as bad, is the same tactic that's worked for them for decades. At this point, what Antifa is in America is largely being defined by the right and their response to it, no matter the actual actions.
Well said and reasoned. This really is one of the key strengths of the right.

Briarios

Random people deciding to take the law into their own hands just generally isn't good for society. Civil disobedience is one thing, but antifa isn't MLK -- they cover their faces because they're not willing to face the consequences of their actions.

There is a reason we have videos of legit protestors throwing their bodies over neo-nazis to protect them from getting killed by antifa anarchists. I also don't buy into the whole the enemy of my enemy is my friend thing.

ironmang

Most of what I've seen about antifa was during those berkeley riots but they were definitely doing more than smashing windows. Plenty of videos of them ganging up and using weapons to beat people who were going to see that Milo guy speak. Sometimes even continuing after the person is laying unconscious. Even remember reading about at least one guy who was just a passerby but got attacked because he "looked like a nazi". My impression is that care more about living out violent fantasies than making any kind of positive change.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

What's new is we have a white supremacist in the White House whose incompetence has him backed into a corner and the only humans on Earth that will still support him unequivocally are the white supremacists who help him get elected.

Maybe I'm a paranoid nutjob, but I'm of the opinion that we kinda have an active, dangerous situation here, regardless of whether protestors are out there standing between Nazis and the people they want to hurt or not. White supremacists groups are heavily armed, more organized than ever, they're radicalizing young disaffected males through the internet (mountain dew ISIS, if you will), they've grown to be much more effective in their messaging and they've got a narcissistic sociopathic ally in the White House who is rapidly becoming a crazy man with nothing to lose.

It's hard for me to get worked up about people trying to shame protestors over some property damage. That's nothing new.

jtb

Banned
What's new is we have a white supremacist in the White House whose incompetence has him backed into a corner and the only humans on Earth that will still support him unequivocally are the white supremacists who help him get elected.

Maybe I'm a paranoid nutjob, but I'm of the opinion that we kinda have an active, dangerous situation here, regardless of whether protestors are out there standing between Nazis and the people they want to hurt or not. White supremacists groups are heavily armed, more organized than ever, they're radicalizing young disaffected males through the internet (mountain dew ISIS, if you will), they've grown to be much more effective in their messaging and they've got a narcissistic sociopathic ally in the White House who is rapidly becoming a crazy man with nothing to lose.

It's hard for me to get worked up about people trying to shame protestors over some property damage. That's nothing new.

Okay? obviously, I agree with you.

Just finished watching the entire segment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmpqnxpYUqA

I agree with the points he made. Trump and the alt-right will just use antifa's violence to their advantage.

La Meute (Quebec' Alt-Right) used it against them when they marched silently (tactically) then ANTIFA engaged them with violence.

the local Quebec media instead focused on ANTIFA's use of violence because violence was used even though La Meute are scum.

La Meute played a PR game "proteste in silence" and drew "sympathy" from average people

JustenP88

Okay? obviously, I agree with you.

Alright, I must have misinterpreted the "hard for me to get worked up bit" because I'm thoroughly worked up by it. My bad!

So you think Trevor Noah and me and a few other people in this thread talking about smashing windows are agreeing with Trump that the violence in Charlottesville was both sides fault? I hope you understand not only how much you're reaching, and not only how ironic it is that you talk about Trump "both sides"ing but then proceed to equate us talking about anarchists fucking with the reputation of the liberal cause to blaming a tragic death of an innocent person by a nazi on both sides, but also just how fucking offensive what you're saying to me is. And for what? To make some smartass point about how Im too moderate? To reject your own kind in an effort to let me know how not liberal enough I am?

I don't know what you think, all I know is I'm going to continue rolling my eyes at any liberal who thinks now is the time to parrot the trusty old talking points we see come from the right every. single. time. there's civil unrest and protest.

Also, I apologize if I come across as accusing you of not being liberal enough. You're being super liberal right now.

Osahi

But the endgame of white supremacists is genocide of non-whites.... These groups pose an existential threat to PoC and I can't fault people for using violence to stop it.

Well, by all means. Once they are putting their genocidal plans in place, you have my blessing to punch or shoot them in the fucking face, because at that moment democracy is gone.

But please, those cunts will never reach that ultimate goal, and by using violence against them you only offer them a victim-role, which might actually legitimize them in the eyes of some people. Like I said before in this thread, I've seen it many many times in my own country: a leftwing or union protest is staged, thousends of peaceful protesters march and use their democratic rights and power, and a fringe group of antifa or leftwing extremist think it is a good idea to burn some cars or smash a policeman in the head with a bottle and imidiatly the effect of the whole protest is nulified in the eye of the public opinion.

Randam

Seems to me he has a stance against violence. Answering the neo nazi violence with more violence is .... wrong.
Those people agree with the holocaust.
They need to be punched as often and as hard as possible.

Well, by all means. Once they are putting their genocidal plans in place, you have my blessing to punch or shoot them in the fucking face, because at that moment democracy is gone.

But please, those cunts will never reach that ultimate goal, and by using violence against them you only offer them a victim-role, which might actually legitimize them in the eyes of some people. Like I said before in this thread, I've seen it many many times in my own country: a leftwing or union protest is staged, thousends of peaceful protesters march and use their democratic rights and power, and a fringe group of antifa or leftwing extremist think it is a good idea to burn some cars or smash a policeman in the head with a bottle and imidiatly the effect of the whole protest is nulified in the eye of the public opinion.
But exactly that happened only 80 years ago.

jtb

Banned
Alright, I must have misinterpreted the "hard for me to get worked up bit" because I'm thoroughly worked up by it. My bad!

no worries!

unfortunately, I think we're in total agreement that protesters are going to get shit on regardless, at a time when public protest is more urgently needed than ever before.

Either you punch nazi's until they do not dare show their faces anymore, or you tolerate them. You cant have your cake and eat it as well.

Kimawolf

No its right. We all know what Nazis are capable of and neo nazis aspire to be as horrifying as their historical counterparts. So its best to stop them howevee you have to.

As a minority I applaud Antifa for fighting back instead of just laying down to take a mauling.

Nafai1123

Banned
Antifa also marched in Boston's peaceful counter-protest. Right wingers do not need the left to be violent to label them as such.

I'd rather have a group out there protecting others from violence than having a bunch of peaceful protesters filming the beating of a black man on their phone.

At what point does inaction become complacency?

This just shows that ''the public opinion'' was hostile to the demonstrators anyway, and just needed any reason at all to turn on them.

The same will happen with all the ''but punching nazi's is wrong'' people: they will join the fascists if push comes to shove and its a choice between them and some left movement.

Top Bottom