• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley gives voice to heralded Studio Ghibli classic, Only Yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/28/daisy-ridley-only-yesterday-exclusive

Daisy Ridley might be the woman of the moment right now in Hollywood. In Star Wars: The Force Awakens, her portrayal of Rey has wowed audiences and critics and made her toys and action figures fly off the store shelves this holiday season. Fans will have to wait until 2017 for Episode VIII to find out more about her mysterious connection to Luke Skywalker’s lightsaber, but fans eager for anything Ridley can dip their toes into another classic: Isao Takahata’s Only Yesterday.

Ridley voices the lead character in the Studio Ghibli animated film, which is finally getting a North American release 25 years after it was a hit in Japan. Set in the early 1980s, Only Yesterday tells the story of Taeko, a single 27-year-old who’s lived her whole life in Tokyo. Traveling to visit her family in the country, she reflects on her childhood in a series of flashbacks to examine whether she’s been true to the girl she used to be.

“I think the reason probably this is such a loved film and will continue to be so is because it doesn’t feel foreign,” says Ridley, in an exclusive video interview, above. “It feels exactly right, like, how do you make your dreams come true?”

oy_poster.jpg

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gSKk-wwLsY

Wonder if people say this character is a Mary Sue...

That...is not someone I would've picked for that dub

Disney does tend to go hard in the paint with Ghibli dubs, though. They've always been very enjoyable. Maybe the movie will get a little Rey boost

Madness

Dev Patel for the other voice, not bad. I don't get what you mean I wonder if people think this character is a 'Mary Sue'. Is that the new flavor of the month term going to be used all the time now?

Movie seems to be well made, and Daisy has solid vocal range.

Edit: Just saw the trailer, she sounds different. Has solid vocal range.

That...is not someone I would've picked for that dub

Disney does tend to go hard in the paint with Ghibli dubs, though. They've always been very enjoyable. Maybe the movie will get a little Rey boost

Disney's contract with Ghibli ended. Gkids handles Ghibli film distribution in the US now. Going by the dub of Marnie, you shouldn't be worried about the quality of Gkids dubs though.

The best Ghibli film, and certainly the studio's most emotionally resonant for me.

It's a masterpiece, and you should watch it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Movie is a good way to give yourself quarter life crisis.

9/10 would recommend.

Dev Patel for the other voice, not bad. I don't get what you mean I wonder if people think this character is a 'Mary Sue'. Is that the new flavor of the month term going to be used all the time now?

Watch the Force Awakens and then read any spoiler filled online discussions

Just realized her name is two characters who'll never be in Smash Bros. ; - ;

Glad this is getting NA release. I've always wanted to see it and haven't.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That's cool, I guess. I know they do it for promotional purposes, but I'd always prefer a trained voice actor doing an animated role over a celeb. Robin Williams was an exception though.

I actually haven't seen this film yet, so it's definitely on my radar now.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
don't know what a Mary Sue is but I surely want Daisy Ridley wrapped around everything, including my pen
sive heart

movie looks good damn it's been time I watched a Ghibli

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This movie is dope. The final thing I saw on TMC's Ghibli marathon awhile ago and it blew me away considering I'd never heard of it.

This movie is dope. The final thing I saw on TMC's Ghibli marathon awhile ago and it blew me away considering I'd never heard of it.
That's where I first saw it too!

I bawled the entire film. Beautiful things make me cry more than sad things, and the entire film is singularly beautiful, and reflective, and profound.

Gonzalez

Banned
Great, another inexperienced voice actor giving a stiff performances in a Disney Ghibli dub.

It's not shocking the only good performance in one of these dubs, was Mark Hammil in Castle in The Sky.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Great, another inexperienced voice actor giving a stiff performances in a Disney Ghibli dub.

It's not shocking the only good performance in one of these dubs, was Mark Hammil in Castle in The Sky.
Considering that 70-90% of dialogue in any given film is re-recorded, she's not inexperienced at all. Granted the acting direction given in these films is always worse than inhouse Disney films. However it's usually much better than the usual quality of dubs or the VO in the original language.

Toothless

Daisy Ridley will do a great Harley Quinn in ten years, calling it now.

Blader

I honestly didn't like the film much when I saw it years ago, and thought it was strangely regressive in its messaging (strange on its own merits, but especially so given how feminist Ghibli films typically are). But an English dub is a good reason to give it a rewatch, so maybe I'll come away from it differently this time.

Rydeen

My favorite Ghibli film. It's all about the quiet, truthful moments remembering when she's growing up, like lightly drumming her dad on the back as he reads the newspaper.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
looking forward to it for the voice over and the 1080p.

film has a good message,
you always talk about loving something, how about you go and do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom