• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley gives voice to heralded Studio Ghibli classic, Only Yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

she should voice daisy or ridley in the future ssb dlc
duHAw3u.jpg

Gkids is fine and all but I lament Disney didn't kept bringing Ghibli films here. No one would ever push these movies in the US to a broader audience than Disney.

Rydeen

Gkids is fine and all but I lament Disney didn't kept bringing Ghibli films here. No one would ever push these movies in the US to a broader audience than Disney.
At this point, unless Ghibli officially starts production back up after the retirement of Miyazaki and Takahata, this is the last Ghibli movie to be released here other than Ocean Waves. There's no other Ghibli films to bring here.

At this point, unless Ghibli officially starts production back up after the retirement of Miyazaki and Takahata, this is the last Ghibli movie to be released here other than Ocean Waves. There's no other Ghibli films to bring here.
So how this deal works? Disney can keep selling the Ghibli movies they licensed then? Or now the contract's up, Gkids snatched it and Disney can't sell the Ghibli films they had anymore?

Rydeen

So how this deal works? Disney can keep selling the Ghibli movies they licensed then? Or now the contract's up, Gkids snatched it and Disney can't sell the Ghibli films they had anymore?

Pretty sure Disney can keep releasing the films they have the rights to. The Miyazaki boxed set just came out via Amazon in November, and all of the other individual movies still have their blu-rays being manufactured by Disney.

You're supposed to be pitching this movie to me dammit
there's a shitload of nostalgia, sentimentality, regret, and uncertainty about the future in this film but it's all very naturalistic and understated. It's been around 10 years since I saw it, and it left a strong impression on me.

Jobbs

Banned
Beautiful movie, but holy shit do some of these Ghibli movies really have a way of gut punching me. Whisper of the Heart is another one. I don't always WANT to have all those feelings.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Best Ghibli movie in my own humble opinion. It resonated with my growing up a lot given my similar background as an Asian girl. Such a wonderful film that could have been live action but better in animated form.

GavinUK86

I hate this film because it makes me analyze my own life but I love this film because it's so good.

Well played Takahata-san, well played.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I hope I don't figure out what 'Mary Sue' means before I see the fucking movie God dammit.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Disney never released My Neighbor the Yamadas on blu ray in the US :(

addik

Pretty sure Disney can keep releasing the films they have the rights to. The Miyazaki boxed set just came out via Amazon in November, and all of the other individual movies still have their blu-rays being manufactured by Disney.

Can't be sure, but Disney seems to be more interested in bringing Miyazaki's films. GKids handle the non-Miyazaki Ghibli films (GKids handled distribution for Kaguya and Marnie for example. I think they also did Arriety and Poppy Hill. I think the only non-Miyazaki Ghibli film Disney distributed were Whisper of the Heart and Pom Poko... though I'm not exactly sure)/

The film didn't really resonate with me when I watched a few years back. A new dub is always a good reason for a rewatch, so it might click with me more now that I've grown older.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Can't be sure, but Disney seems to be more interested in bringing Miyazaki's films. GKids handle the non-Miyazaki Ghibli films (GKids handled distribution for Kaguya and Marnie for example. I think they also did Arriety and Poppy Hill. I think the only non-Miyazaki Ghibli film Disney distributed were Whisper of the Heart and Pom Poko... though I'm not exactly sure)/

GKids:

From Up on Poppy Hill
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
When Marnie Was There
Only Yesterday

Sentai Filmworks:

Grave of the Fireflies (blu ray)

Disney:

Everything else*

*besides Ocean Waves, which has never been released in any form in the US, and My Neighbors the Yamadas, which was released on DVD (and maybe in theaters?) but not on blu ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom