• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dangan Ronpa 1.2 Reload (JP) |OT| Twice the despair, twice the savings! In HD!

Labrys

aimmpRn.png

Platform: Vita
Genre: Adventure/Visual Novel
Player: 1
Developer: Spike Chunsoft
Publisher: Spike Chunsoft
Release Date: October 10th, 2013

NvijNUm.png
fL0xFTP.png

ayElKE6.png

YyrQke1.png

Naegi Makoto
Super High-School Level Good Luck (Bad Luck?)
Our protagonist. He was selected to enter Hope's Peak due to complete chance. Was that good luck... or bad luck?

R2UkEfb.png

Kyouko Kirigiri
"My name is... Kyouko Kirigiri."
Super High-School Level ???
A mysterious girl who has amnesia regarding her talent and why she's there. She sticks to facts and keeps a cool head.

g3vOQlq.png

Chihiro Fujisaki
"How do you do? My name is Chihiro Fujisaki."
Super High-School Level Programmer
Meek and timid, she is technical genius with computers and technology. She has many internet fans.

47PxvRL.png

Ishimaru Kiyotaka
"My name is Kiyotaka Ishimaru! My motto in life is Simplicity and Fortitude! Let's all work together and study hard!"
Super High-School Level Prefect
Fitting a prefect, Ishimaru is upright and righteous. He's a hard worker, believing one can do anything if they put their mind to it.

OGL9Mb0.png

Leon Kuwata
"Yo! My name is Leon Kuwata! Nice to meet you!"
Super High-School Level Baseball Player
Renown for playing both a batter and pitcher on his school's team, he is hot blooded and passionate.

sYypXzU.png

Mondo Oowada
"My name is Mondo Oowada. Nice to meet you."
Super High-School Level Gang Boss
Foul mouthed and generally a delinquent, Oowada is also known for being the leader of the Crazy Diamonds, Japan’s largest motorcycle gang.

bPFvkeq.png

Sayaka Maizono
"I'm Sayaka Maizono. Pleased to meet you!"
Super High-School Level Idol
A member in a popular idol group. Went to middleschool with Naegi, where from they recognize eachother.

SunOBeO.png

Sakura Oogami
"I'm Sakura Oogami."
Super High-School Level Fighter
A fearsome woman who is a world renound fighter. Is sometimes mistaken for a man due to her muscular appearance, but is feminine besides that.

2KZg0EY.png

Aoi Asahina
"G'd morning! I'm Aoi Asahina! Nice t'meet you!"
Super High-School Level Swimmer
An air-headed student who loves swimming, and donuts. Is overall athletic, and enjoys training with Sakura.

cpJvFrG.png

Junko Enoshima
"Yoohoo! My name's Junko Enoshima! Great to meet you!"
Super High-School Level Fashion Gal
A popular and gorgeous girl, who has appeared on many magazine covers and photo shoots. Is she less pretty in real life?

cuOrfz6.png

Yasuhiro Hagakure
"M’name is Yasuhiro Hagakure. Let’s take it easy, ‘right?"
Super High-School Level Shaman
Although being held back twice, Hagakure is known for his scarily accurate fortune tellings--they're only correct 30% of the time, however.

d7W0w8p.png

Touko Fukawa
"...My name is Touko Fukawa."
Super High-School Level Author
A gloomy novel writer, who in turn also has a persecution complex. Her novel "Before the Sea's Scent Fades Away", was her biggest hit, and made fishermen popular with teenage girls.

AqjVyY3.png

Hifumi Yamada
"My name is Hifumi Yamada. "The man who is the beginning and the end". You can call me either way, I don't mind."
Super High-School Level Doujinshi Author
An otaku who is also a popular doujinshi (fanzine) artist. Seems to be only interested in the "2D Realm".

41nO7wO.png

Byakuya Togami
"I’m Byakuya Togami."
Super High-School Level Heir
The successor of the Togami Conglomerate, a highly successful enterprise. Is very arrogant and rude due to this, and considers himself "perfection".

pp6hQJC.png

Celestia Ludenberg
"Delighted to meet you. My name is Celestia Ludenberg."
Super High-School Level Gambler
Known as the "Queen of all Liars", Celestia (known as Celes) is a famous high roller who wears Gothic Lolita fashion. It's rumored her gigantic curls are fake, but nobody is quite sure...

D7fRY4t.png

Monokuma
"Upupu... It's Punishment Time!"
The Principal
A devious teddy bear who seems to be behind the whole thing. With many spare bodies, he seems invincible, and he'll punish anyone who tries to disrespect him.

ynWoddy.png

TP5rrih.png

ayElKE6.png

M8tzT7O.png

Hajime Hinata
Super High School Level ???
Always admiring Hope's Peak, he finally achieved his dream of attending. However, he has come down with amnesia, and has forgotten everything about his past, even his Super High School Level.

XVqFwRb.png

Nagito Komaeda
"…Pleased to meet you. My name is Nagito Komaeda."
Super High School Level Good Luck
A boring and dull looking student who was only accepted into Hope's Peak due to the lottery. Is he really that lucky, though?

XPcreCE.png

Kazuichi Souda
"Name’s Kazuichi Souda, “Super High-school Level Mechanic”. Atcha service!"
Super High-School Level Mechanic
A genius with mechanics, being able to fix anything. Even with his intimidating appearance (and sharp teeth...), he's fairly timid.

ob971tJ.png

Gundam Tanaka
"Before you stands Gundam Tanaka. Do not forget that name… When I rule the world, to do so will be to invite death."
Super High-School Level Animal Breeder
A eccentric and odd person who is thought to be able to talk to animals. Believes in the dark arts, and the "Four Dark Gods of Destruction", his four hamsters.

NDodTPr.png

Mikan Tsumiki
"M… My name is Mikan Tsumiki. Um… I… I’m very pleased to meet you!"
Super High-School Level Nurse
A clumsy, but talented nurse who is adept in treating any injury. She is shy and reserved, and finds it hard to stay in a conversation without starting to sob and apologizing profusely.

PiSuOwa.png

Ibuki Mioda
"“Ibu” from Ibuki Mioda! “Ki” from Ibuki Mioda! “Mio” from Ibuki Mioda! “Da” from Ibuki Mioda! That’s me - Ibuki Mioda!"
Super High-School Level Light Music Club Member
A member of an all-girls High School who played guitar in the Light Music Club, whose hit single sold over a million copies. She left the band due to directional differences.

0gwcnKc.png

Nidai Nekomaru
"The legendary “Super High-school Level Coach”, NEKOMARU NIDAIIIIII!!"
Super High-School Level Coach
A very good coach with a talent for taking horrible teams and turning them into the very best. Very passionate, even more so when it comes to bodily functions.

Wd0DdQE.png

Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu
"I’m Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu… But make no mistake. We will not be friends."
Super High-School Level Gangster
Babyfaced, but dangerous, Fuyuhiko is the successor to the Kuzuryuu family, the largest Yazuka enterprise in Japan. Very small in stature, but has a horrible temper.

EeHrk7f.png

Mahiru Koizumi
"Um… My name is Mahiru Koizumi. Nice to meet you, I guess."
Super High-School Level Photographer
Having won many awards for her portrait photographs, Mahiru is a promising girl. She can be critical of people, but she's very level headed and nice.

3km200v.png

Chiaki Nanami
"My name is Chiaki Nanami. I’m a Super High-school Level Gamer. My hobby is playing games. I’m pretty good with all genres."
Super High-School Level Gamer
A sleepy, absent-minded girl who loves every video game ever made, even Kusoge. She would rather play than hold a conversation, and has a habit of taking a long time to speak her mind.

4T4Tcvx.png

Peko Pekoyama
"I am called Peko Pekoyama. It’s an honor to meet you too."
Super High-School Level Swordswoman
An amazing swordswoman and kendo champion, whose skill is greater than that of adult fighters. However, Peko is a stern and polite woman.

vjFEYPI.png

Teruteru Hanamura
"My name is Teruteru Hanamura. They’ve been calling me a “Super High-school Level Cook”, but… prefer “Super High-school Level Chef” myself. It has a much more… sophisticated air, don’t you think?"
Super High-School Level Cook
A culinary master, Teruteru prefers to be called the "Super High-School Level Chef". He has a passion for cooking, and romance, no matter the gender.

qtqVyQT.png

Sonia Nevermind
"My name is Sonia Nevermind."
Super High-School Level Princess
A royal princess from the small European country of Novoselic. She came to Hope's Peak to be an exchange student, due to her interest in Japanese culture. She's really interested in it. Reeally.

Ctq6Nfs.png

Akane Owari
"Right! I’m Akane Owari! Nice t’meet ya!"
Super High-School Level Gymnast
An amazing athlete with a large appetite. Is known for inventing her own moves, and her brash nature.

dU2T9Z1.png

Hiyoko Saionji
"You wanna know my name? It’s Hiyoko Saionji!"
Super High-School Level Traditional Dancer
A graceful, youthful young woman with a knack for dancing. Despite this, she has a nasty and offensive personality and enjoys insulting others.

6bPGLSK.png

Byakuya Togami
"My name is Byakuya Togami."
Super High-School Level Heir
You know him well, the Super High-School Level Heir is back and... bigger than ever? True, Togami has gained some weight, but he keeps his cold personality. Maybe there's something different about that, too?

sABRbhv.png

Usami/Monomi
“My name is Usami… Magical Girl Miwacle ★ Usami! I’m a tiny sweet milky girl!!”
The Class Teacher
A Stuffed "wabbit" who is responsible for the student's class trip. Is a lot nicer than Monokuma, but gets the same amount of slack as him from the students.

NaunPv5.png

• Both games on one Vita cartridges at a high definition
  • A second "School Mode" for the first game, allowing you to date and grow your relationships with your fellow classmates.
  • Fully voice acted trial segements
  • 60+ hours of dialogue and story

rWG7Qno.png

wkLjv3D.png

• Credit to Onenronen at Somethingawful forums for providing the translated introductions for the characters. 超高校級 being translated as "Super High-School Level" is also credited to him.
  • Thanks to the fanbase for making this series so popular! Part one of this game is coming out in English early 2014 due to the overwhelming popularity.
  • Please keep spoilers of any kind under spoiler tags! There's nothing worse about games of this type than getting spoiled about a crucial plot point!

Thanks!

Upupu, stellar OP! Only 3 days of torturous waiting until this hits Japanese Vitas. The wait is even longer and more horrible for the NA release! Upupu, I can't wait!

Nice!! Is it the vita version of part one that's being going to be translate to English? And I watch up to ep7 ( I think) of the anime and stop since I would rather play the game. How different is the game compare to the anime.

Labrys

Awesome OT.

I can't wait to play this series. I hope NISA gets these out as soon as possible.

Upupu, stellar OP! Only 3 days of torturous waiting until this hits Japanese Vitas. The wait is even longer and more horrible for the NA release! Upupu, I can't wait!

Thank you!! (it's my first!) It's also my first thread on the site, I wanted to make it special.
I'm getting my copy SAL, so it's gonna take a while to get to me, unfortunately... still can't wait!

Nice!! Is it the vita version of part one that's being going to be translate to English? And I watch up to ep7 ( I think) of the anime and stop since I would rather play the game. How different is the game compare to the anime.

Yes, it is! NISA is bringing over the first half of this game to the US/EU early 2014.

The game and the anime are very different. For one, the anime was a lot more condensed than the game. The game has a lot more things going on, from character development to free-time events, and even the trials. The trials have a lot going for them, they're very engaging. I'd recommend playing the game, then watching the anime after if you want to see everything in emotion, as a kind of fanservice.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oooo comes out this week. Physical or DL hmm...

Great work with the OT!

Three more days...
Y7mQpni.gif

A lot more detail is in the game. The anime glossed over a bunch of the plot points (though they weren't exactly all completely necessary). The anime also glossed over all the characterization events you could see with the rest of the cast though that's basically understandable since it's not like they were required anyway.

----------------------------------------

Super Duper OT!

I remember hearing there were some additions to both games so can't wait to see what they were just so I can get hyped when NISA releases the first game.

We are getting the Vita version of the first game, with all the extra content.

Plus, I haven't watched it, but I've heard the anime is far inferior to the games. Plus, since the series is so dependent on the story, I'd advise not watching it, at least until you play the game.

Lain

TYes, it is! NISA is bringing over the first half of this game to the US/EU early 2014.

The game and the anime are very different. For one, the anime was a lot more condensed than the game. The game has a lot more things going on, from character development to free-time events, and even the trials. The trials have a lot going for them, they're very engaging. I'd recommend playing the game, then watching the anime after if you want to see everything in emotion, as a kind of fanservice.

Could you explain the bolded? They're only bringing over the first half of this game? How does that works?

Labrys

Could you explain the bolded? They're only bringing over the first half of this game? How does that works?

Ah, this game has both Dangan Ronpa and Super Dangan Ronpa 2. They're bringing over the first half--Dangan Ronpa. I believe they said they are going to wait for the first game's sales before they bring over the second half--Super Dangan Ronpa 2.

Sorry for wording that awkwardly! It did seem like I meant they were bringing over only half of the first game in hindsight.

bigkrev

This needs to come out yesterday, i'm putting off watching the anime until the game comes out.

Hope it does well enough to get part 2 over here.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting my copy SAL, so it's gonna take a while to get to me, unfortunately... still can't wait!
My SAL brotha. Luckily MH4 will probably still be eating my life until the end of the month so I can make a painless transition.

Sitrus

Exited for my Monokuma to arrive! Zetsubooouuuuu!

I played the first one, fan-translated, but this time I will I will read it in japanese instead. It's too bad NIS decided to only translate the first part :(

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Man this thread is too painful for me that i have to wait for the localization :(

Is this somehow similar to VLR/999 ?
The premise/story is similar, a group of students are forced to play deadly game, one kills someone, the main character has to discover who is the killer, if he's right the killer dies and the game continues, otherwise everyone die and the killer lives.
Gameplay-wise is similar to ace attorney though.

Torraz

How much of the game is voiced?

I know the OP says: "Fully voice acted trial segements", but what about the VN-type sequences?

Labrys

How much of the game is voiced?

I know the OP says: "Fully voice acted trial segements", but what about the VN-type sequences?

Some instances of the VN sequences are voiced, but a large amount of them aren't. You do get little vocal quips here and there, however ("ara ara ara" "sou ka" etc.)

In other news I got a new screenshot for you guys, it's a cutscene at the new resolution:

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hopefully NISA will have a release date of the US version later this year. This sounds right up my alley, being a fan of both AA & VLR (still need to play 999). Been resisting the urge to watch the anime so I can go into the game completely fresh.

Labrys

Ah, gotcha, gotcha!

Here you go, then!

O9tTUuu.png

Honestly I'd make a ton of them for people to use but I have no time. Any volunteers?

Ah, gotcha, gotcha!

Here you go, then!

O9tTUuu.png

Honestly I'd make a ton of them for people to use but I have no time. Any volunteers?
Wow, thanks! I'm gonna save it for the English release of 2. (Which will hopefully be in the not too distant future.)

Now I can commence worrying about him and the other characters that I like, and hope that they don't get brutally murdered/aren't homicidal maniacs. That aspect of this series is gonna be ROUGH for me.

"Oh, you like this character? Well, I hope you enjoy watching them get eviscerated/become a crazed psychopath! (And then get executed!)"

Wow, thanks! I'm gonna save it for the English release of 2. (Which will hopefully be in the not too distant future.)

Now I can commence worrying about him and the other characters that I like, and hope that they don't get brutally murdered/aren't homicidal maniacs. That aspect of this series is gonna be ROUGH for me.

"Oh, you like this character? Well, I hope you enjoy watching them get eviscerated/become a crazed psychopath! (And then executed!)"

Just dive head first and accept everything that happens with love and hope!

GSR

If I ever get a Vita, this is at the top of the list.

Has anyone seen any impressions of the game? Any changes besides what was advertised? How're the new controls?

Just dive head first and accept everything that happens with love and hope!
But I'm scared...

Though in a twisted way, that's part of the appeal of this series. Hoping the people you like make it to the end. I just want to play it right now and know the score. The wait is killing me.

Labrys

scary game. :(

Yeah, it can be pretty scary! My friend actually had a small freakout at one of the character's executions, but if you can look past the scary stuff you'll have a good experience.

But I'm scared...

Though in a twisted way, that's part of the appeal of this series. Hoping the people you like make it to the end. I just want to play it right now and know the score. The wait is killing me.

One of the most common things in the fanbase for these games is "if your favorite character makes it to endgame i hate you", so yes, there is a lot of heartbreak involved. It is VERY good, though. It and the Zero Escape series are at a very close tie in my rankings.

One of the most common things in the fanbase for these games is "if your favorite character makes it to endgame i hate you", so yes, there is a lot of heartbreak involved. It is VERY good, though. It and the Zero Escape series are at a very close tie in my rankings.
I was inadvertently spoiled on a few things/deaths (and one survivor) by some sites, but nothing that upset me yet, but just looking at all the characters in the OP, I know I'm getting attached to too many characters. My heart will surely break.

EEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEeeeeeeee... I can't take it. x_x (But yet I can't wait to play it!)

Also, Zero Escape is freaking incredible. I'm so glad it paved the way for more VNs in North America.

Torraz

Some instances of the VN sequences are voiced, but a large amount of them aren't. You do get little vocal quips here and there, however ("ara ara ara" "sou ka" etc.)

Damn. Not sure if I should buy the game then at this point, although it might probably be a good learning experience.

It would be pretty damn slow going, and not the best use of my, at this point, pretty limited gaming time...

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got my copy today, CGs and sprites look amazing on the OLED. Not sure if there's anything discussable in this OT without being spoilery though.

Labrys

Finally got my copy today, CGs and sprites look amazing on the OLED. Not sure if there's anything discussable in this OT without being spoilery though.

You have a point there, to be honest... I'd suggest everyone using spoiler tags if so, then. I had thought this game'd be hard to have an OT, but I'd like to see it work, at least a little.

There's no need to promote it anymore to me. My finger is ready to click the pre-order button the moment the (probable) LE pops up on NISA's online site!

Just cleared Super Dangan Ronpa 2 a few minutes ago.

What a wild ride! That was a clever ass fucking game. Can't wait for the eventual 3 and even the spin off game.

I guess I'm in it for the long run.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just cleared Super Dangan Ronpa 2 a few minutes ago.

What a wild ride! That was a clever ass fucking game. Can't wait for the eventual 3 and even the spin off game.

I guess I'm in it for the long run.
Have you read Dangan Ronpa Zero yet? In case you haven't, it's supposed to go between Dangan 1 and 2 since 2 spoils several aspects of it, but it's not too late and still worthwhile if you're interested in the story/world. You can read the entire (上) volume on the official site here if you're interested: http://sai-zen-sen.jp/works/fictions/danganronpa-zero/01/01.html

Have you read Dangan Ronpa Zero yet? In case you haven't, it's supposed to go between Dangan 1 and 2 since 2 spoils several aspects of it, but it's not too late and still worthwhile if you're interested in the story/world. You can read the entire (上) volume on the official site here if you're interested: http://sai-zen-sen.jp/works/fictions/danganronpa-zero/01/01.html

Sweeeet. I'll prob just pick it up this weekend when I have some free time. =)

Torraz

Just reached the first Investigation. Pretty sure i know who the killer is.

It sadly seems that my favorite characters do not have a high life expectancy.

I cannot stop thinking about this game. It's so hard because I want to read more about it, but there are spoilers everywhere.

February~

Torraz

Nearly finished the game. I think I'm at the last trial.

Where can I buy / import / read those two novels? On play-asia, and yesasia I can only find one of the two novels, and I'd rather have them sooner, because I want to get started on the second game soon.

Nearly finished the game. I think I'm at the last trial.

Where can I buy / import / read those two novels? On play-asia, and yesasia I can only find one of the two novels, and I'd rather have them sooner, because I want to get started on the second game soon.

Have you checked amazon.jp?

Top Bottom