• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Tizoc

OH MY GOD THIS COME OUT NEXT WEEK?? I'm so excited right now. I went into the first one completely blind and loved it. It's probably my GOTY right now, alongside Wolfenstein (weird combo, I know).
Don't see what's so weird about that, if you like a game well enough you can nominate it as your GotY regardless of genre.

Hugstable

Banned
Everyone, I'm so happy I've made it to this point without getting spoiled so far! Only one week to go before the craziness and despair truly begin!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The cast in this one looks even crazier than the first game! Ultimate Swordsmen, Ultimate Yukuza, Ultimate Nurse, damn they have Ultimate everything lol. I actually like the cast of the first game too

Edit: OH GOD Ultimate Breeder! XD

Ultimate Musician! \m/ >_< \m/

CrazyDude

Taking this one....

TKU8wzb.png

Labrys

OP is incomprehensible. What are truth bullets and why are you know what I'll just wiki it.

Do not wiki it, the OP is written to be understood by people who have played the first game. Wiking it will get you spoiled, I'll edit some stuff up.

I'm hyped. Unlike the first one which I ruined for myself by watching the anime, I have no idea about what happens in the sequel! Aside from death and despair, obviously.

Mchardy

I can't wait. I'm a bit annoyed that's coming out on the 11th here in Australia though since Destiny is the ninth and Infamous First light is the tenth.

Dmented

Banned
Damn these games. Danganronpa 2 is the only reason I'd want a Vita. Similarly to VLR being the only reason I would want a 3DS. No way am I buying something for 1 game. :(

Hugstable

Banned
Is that a snowboarding minigame I see? I'm guessing this is a replacement for one of those other minigames like the tap the letter to solve the clue?

Oh hey, guess I can start posting my impressions then. Close to done as well, so I'm just gonna cross-post what I've already posted in Labrys' other thread.

WARNING: THESE ARE ALL LEGIT SPOILERS! 99% OF THE PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD SHOULD NOT HIGHLIGHT THEM!

Gonna be posting my DR2 impressions here since anywhere else is a minefield.

Prologue complete. Some thoughts so far.

Hajime's pre-passing out seemed odd with those numbers and scan lines, like he was in the matrix or something. That makes me think it's somehow different compared to what happened to the cast of DR1.

While obviously still suspicious, Usami seems legitimately benevolent. My theory is she is (was?) being controlled by one of the surviving students of DR1 and the cast of DR2 was sent to the island by them as a means to keep them safe since Japan and presumably most of Earth is a mess right now. Togami may have been put there to make sure things go smoothly, but he doesn't seem overly surprised over Monokuma's return, so perhaps his memory got erased somehow or he's just a really good actor to the point of fooling the audience (though that kind of seems cheap to me if its the latter).

Side note: Usami's theme makes me REALLY uncomfortable (in a good way).

WARNING: THESE ARE ALL LEGIT SPOILERS! 99% OF THE PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD SHOULD NOT HIGHLIGHT THEM!

Halfway through chapter 1 (still talking about DR2 for anyone that can't look up a few posts).

Was NOT expecting that victim. I figured Togami was kind of untouchable after surviving the first game, but it seems I was wrong. Unless of course this is all a ruse and the real victim is in the (as of this post) still-locked bathroom, which would have to be Kuzuyuruu all things considered.

Hope I at least managed to social link with the killer once. Did that with the 4 people I thought were most likely to die, but I already fucked up since I never expected Togami :/

Edit: So hold on, I'm looking at HLTB, and it says the game is 52 hours? Is that right? That's more than twice as long as the first one!

If so, this review may be a bit later than I was planning.

As Yoshi said, yep.

Middle of chapter 2.

Kind of expected Mahiru to be the victim, which is a bit disappointing, but ah well. At least I managed to social link with her twice. Possible killer predictions: Fuyuhiko (maybe too obvious), Hiyoko (also possibly too obvious), Soda, Mikan, Sonia.

I was also apparently not paying attention when they said you had to buy the skills with hope fragments rather than just social link with people. Some of those definitely would have helped during the first trial since I'm on Mean.

Chapter 3 complete. I feel... conflicted.

First of all, Ibuki was the first character I REALLY liked that got killed, so that made me sad. Didn't give a shit about Hiyoko, so whatever with her.

I also really liked Mikan, so her reveal as the killer nearly gave me a heart attack. Then as more information was revealed, I really didn't know what to feel. I was starting to suspect the disease made her do it unwillingly and not even remember it, which would have been ridiculously cruel even by this series' standards. On one hand, that would have been incredibly ballsy, so I'm kind of disappointed they didn't go that route. On the other, it's easier to feel better about her death when you know she's a psychopath on par with Junko. You know, to make it less painful. But then they get into the whole identity crisis associated with personalities born of amnesia and personalities born through life, and that brings me right back to not knowing what to feel.

Also, Mikan's execution was damn underwhelming.

Chapter 4 complete.

Heart sunk when I had to accuse Gundham. Had the selection thingy hovering over him for a few seconds before I finally hit the button. I really didn't want to do it. Made the rest of the trial painful.

But hey, his execution was a heartfelt sacrifice rather than a humiliating ironic death. Seems to conflict with Monokuma's agenda of making them as painful (whether physically or mentally) for the blackened as possible. It's subtle, but this one doesn't seem quite as sadistic as Junko's Monokuma. Maybe that's a meaningless observation and totally wrong, but still something I found interesting.

Whatever the deal with Nagito is has me intrigued. Excited to find out what that's all about.

Only a little bit into
chapter 5, but jesus fuck, Nagito! Dude is a nutcase and I love it.

So yeah, the hype is VERY real.

Labrys

Apologies to anyone who hasn't played the first game, but I did write the OT up using terms and knowledge from the first game. Having played the second game you should play the first in order to understand a large amount of what's going on, anyway.

Also, as always, do not check the wiki for anything, and do not look at the ESRB page either. Spoilers abound.

Great OT BTW.
Thank you! I'm glad people like it.

pariah164

A little copypasta (but relevant).

WHO I LIKE BASED ON LOOKS ALONE:

1. Ibuki
2. Sonia
3. Gundham
4. Peko
5. Fuyuhiko

EARLY MASTERMIND PREDICTION:

Nagito or Mahiru. Nagito looks like a smug bitch (not to mention DAT TITLE), and Mahiru is almost trying too hard to look ordinary.

WAIFU:

Current three way tie between Ibuki, Peko, and Sonia.

ss-hikaru

Haha guys, Destiny can't wait when you've got a good friend with a very short attention span who's getting the game on day one.

I haven't seen any digital Vita codes in store, you're stuck with physical I think. Could always buy it physical, sell the game, keep the artbook and buy a digital copy?

Thanks, not that desperate for the artbook since I'm gonna get the combined 1&2 one later down the track. But if you're gonna buy a game, it's nice to get free stuff :p Good luck juggling Danganronpa and Destiny, maybe you should get your short attention span friend onto Danganronpa 1 while you play 2 :p (I have a super short attention span and I sure got sucked into Danganronpa 1!).

Eeep, wall of spoilers :|

Also, I think it might be wise to ban all specific character talk in relation to chapters.

eg. "OMG, I can't believe STUDENT X said that in Chapter 3, what a doof." or "I love how badass STUDENT Y was in the second class trail."

In a game like this, knowing who is still alive in any particular chapter is a spoiler, and people whining about "spoiler culture", please don't bring that in here, this is a legitimate issue for this series in particular, given the nature of how these games play out.

Damn these games. Danganronpa 2 is the only reason I'd want a Vita. Similarly to VLR being the only reason I would want a 3DS. No way am I buying something for 1 game. :(
Well VLR is on Vita so now you have 2 reasons to get one :D

Man, can't decide between eng and jpn voices. I liked them both in the first game.

Also, I think it might be wise to ban all specific character talk in relation to chapters.

eg. "OMG, I can't believe STUDENT X said that in Chapter 3, what a doof." or "I love how badass STUDENT Y was in the second class trail."

In a game like this, knowing who is still alive in any particular chapter is a spoiler, and people whining about "spoiler culture", please don't bring that in here, this is a legitimate issue for this series in particular, given the nature of how these games play out.

This is a really good idea. I'd say in general we should try and be very, very conservative with spoilers considering that the game is all about the twisty ass narrative.

ZeroX03

Banned
Also, warning for people:

Don't look up the soundtrack online.
The track names have spoilers in them if you're perceptive. Then there's the YT comment sections which are aren't so much a minefield as they are a nuclear testing zone. I couldn't help myself...

pariah164

Man, can't decide between eng and jpn voices. I liked them both in the first game.
I'm going with English since the English VA in the first game were fucking amazing. Seriously, they were all damn near perfect.

ss-hikaru

I'm inclined to agree with you. Also PREVIEW POSTS, CHECK YOUR SPOILERS TAGS!!!

Hugstable

Banned
A little copypasta (but relevant).

WHO I LIKE BASED ON LOOKS ALONE:

1. Ibuki
2. Sonia
3. Gundham
4. Peko
5. Fuyuhiko

EARLY MASTERMIND PREDICTION:

Nagito or Mahiru. Nagito looks like a smug bitch (not to mention DAT TITLE), and Mahiru is almost trying too hard to look ordinary.

WAIFU:

Current three way tie between Ibuki, Peko, and Sonia.

Oh this seems fun

Who I like so far based off looks alone:

1) Ibuki
2) Chiaki
3) Gundham bout to go ham
4) Fuyuhiko (comon Ultimate Yukuza is probably gonna create for one crazy ass case at some point in this game)
5) Mahiro

Also Fat Byakuya is gonna be funny. He's gotta be pissed off about getting into another one of these situations lol

Predictions for Mastermind. It took me forever to finally figure out who the main culprit was in the first game so my guess is probably gonna be way off, but I will say the Mastermind is Teruteru

FluxWaveZ

Probably won't be checking in here between chapters like I did for Dual Destinies, or even the first Danganronpa. The sense of first-hand discovery and experience is far too valuable for me to have it spoiled with this game. But man, just a week away now for one of the best games this year (again)...

No mastermind predictions from me. I legitimately don't know, but I have an inkling about two particular characters based solely on how much they were brought up in previous topics. I know for sure that they're important, but not in what capacity.

Yet I've managed to stay almost completely unspoiled, besides the the few things I knew from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, before the games were announced for the US. And none of these things are anything crazy or something you don't learn early on, so I feel really good. :)

Support Feep and choose the English voices!

Hugstable

Banned
Probably won't be checking in here between chapters like I did for Dual Destinies, or even the first Danganronpa. The sense of first-hand discovery and experience is far too valuable for me to have it spoiled with this game. But man, just a week away now for one of the best games this year (again)...

This is why I love spoiler tags, but yeah once the game comes out I probably won't be checking in much besides to post Case impressions or something. The first games surprises were so good!

ss-hikaru

Also, warning for people:

Don't look up the soundtrack online.
The track names have spoilers in them if you're perceptive. Then there's the YT comment sections which are aren't so much a minefield as they are a nuclear testing zone. I couldn't help myself...

I've been battling this urge for a while but you've just strengthened my resolve :p

whywhywhywhywhy does Aus have to get this a whole week later than everyone elseeeeee
;_______________________________________________;

Support Feep and choose the English voices!

I....I can't, my obsession with Sugita is too great >.<

daffy

Banned
Do not wiki it, the OP is written to be understood by people who have played the first game. Wiking it will get you spoiled, I'll edit some stuff up.
I didn't know about the first game. I just clicked trying to find out what kind of game this is. Now that I know it's on PSV I'm gonna go find the first one.

pariah164

I didn't know our own feep was the VA of Byakuya (whose VA did a good job IMO), but I'm going ENglish again because the eng. dub was good in DR1 IMO.
Yeah, feep knocked the ball out the motherfucking park with his portrayal of Byakuya.
THE SUPER HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL DICK.

I didn't know our own feep was the VA of Byakuya (whose VA did a good job IMO), but I'm going ENglish again because the eng. dub was good in DR1 IMO.

wait what

feep was byakuya? how did i not know this. Well, good to see that he's in the sequel as well!

Edit: English voices all day erry day.

redhood56

Banned
I really enjoyed the first one, and I heard that this one fixed the issues I had with the first one. I got the LE pre ordered so it will probably take a week before I get it. I can't wait!

Tizoc

I didn't know about the first game. I just clicked trying to find out what kind of game this is. Now that I know it's on PSV I'm gonna go find the first one.

If you can wait a while, the first game might go on sale on PSN to celebrate the sequel's release.

Top Bottom