• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Major Problem: I am already far too attached to about 85% of this cast.

The power of my love will keep everyone alive. The real twist: no murder!!!

And in Danganronpa fashion, only the ones you don't love survive!

(Note, I don't know who you love so there's no spoilers here)

JPS Kai

Gotta say I'm *loving* this one, even moreso than the first game. My review's limited to just talking about the first chapter and that'll be going up sometime tomorrow.

And if you must know..
Chiaki is best girl

Hugstable

Banned

My favorites last time were
Hiro and Kyoko
and they made it all the way to the end so I was pretty happy. Do I even need to spoiler tag stuff for the first game in this topic? I just did it just incase because of the people that came into the topic earlier without finishing the first game.

PK Gaming

Gotta say I'm *loving* this one, even moreso than the first game. My review's limited to just talking about the first chapter and that'll be going up sometime tomorrow.

And if you must know..
Chiaki is best girl

Was there ever any doubt?

pariah164

I get the sinking feeling that every single person I listed that I like will die horribly; my odds are never good with that sort of deal.

Hugstable

Banned
I get the sinking feeling that every single person I listed that I like will die horribly; my odds are never good with that sort of deal.

I have a feeling I'm gonna end up liking the characters that I don't like now just from looking at the description. I didn't think I would end up liking Hiro because of his dumb haircut, but that dude was hilarious lol.

Don't toy with my emotions... ;_; Everyone lives, I've already decided.

It's almost like a horror movie, the rush you get from seeing your favs make it to the end. I WILL feel that feeling this time.

Off descriptions alone?
Descriptions and character art. I know opinions will change, but I was pretty deft at picking favs the first time. Pretty much everyone I started the game liking, I still liked them at the end.

JPS Kai

For anyone that has done the Tamagotchi sim game:
How do you unlock the other pets? I've gotten Snakemi, Usami, Monokuma, and Shitimi. How do I get the one I'm missing?

Damn I'm envious of people discovering the story for the first time!
I'd like to experience it all over again :D

Definitely getting it next week! Even while knowing what happens, I can't stay not excited for the game \o/

Sadly, I can't join you guys because of lack of Vita and no PSP translation this time, but I'll be subscribing anyways so I can enjoy your despair :D

ss-hikaru

Added voice actors to the OT for you guys, located under the pictures themselves.

Woohoo thanks! Woah, ok looking at Teruteru in a new light now. Fukuyama is sure to make him hilarious. Paying special attention to Mikan now (I had to go back and see which Ultimate she was, that's how little attention I paid at first!), Ai Kayano has such a cute voice. Not surprised that Nanami is voiced by Kana Hanazawa or that Akane is voiced by Romi Park :p Also...for some reason I'm now expecting Mahiru to be super perverted...

Labrys

Woohoo thanks! Woah, ok looking at Teruteru in a new light now. Fukuyama is sure to make him hilarious. Paying special attention to Mikan now (I had to go back and see which Ultimate she was, that's how little attention I paid at first!), Ai Kayano has such a cute voice. Not surprised that Nanami is voiced by Kana Hanazawa or that Akane is voiced by Romi Park :p Also...for some reason I'm now expecting Mahiru to be super perverted...

Is Yu Kobayashi known for perverted roles? I admit I'm not too well versed with Japanese voice actors outside of a select few.

Is Yu Kobayashi known for perverted roles? I admit I'm not too well versed with Japanese voice actors outside of a select few.

She's more well known for her distinctive voice when her characters strongly react to something which generally happen cause they get all perverted. But not all the time! Just her more famous roles, lol

In the middle of a certain trial and I am incredibly nervous how it will turn out. This degree of tension and worry was never present in the first game. Feel like I'm gonna start sweating any second. My god.

Labrys

She's more well known for her distinctive voice when her characters strongly react to something which generally happen cause they get all perverted. But not all the time! Just her more famous roles, lol

I see! Well, it's been a while since i've heard the jp track, but I kind of remember her reacting strongly. Overall she had a nice voice.

Her english voice actor kinda emulates her Japanese voice in that regard, both are pleasant to listen to.

ss-hikaru

I've mainly seen her in bland teenage boy roles or in overenthusistic girl/women roles. But the one that stands out the most to me is Sarutobi Ayame from Gintama, to the point of when I see Yu Kobayashi I think Sacchan ^^; And she is superly duperly perverted in that XP

(yeah, what dakkumauji said :D)

Hugstable

Banned

Kanahana does Chiaki?!?! Damn I want to play the dub, so I might have to do a JPN voices replay also.

Labrys

If you guys are interesed in sampling some of the Japanese voices, here's a trailer that is near identical to the second one released by NIS Amercia.

Also, this and both trailer links in the OP open in fullscreen, to make sure you don't get spoiled by related videos.

MSMrRound

Bv3gY97CMAEFpxx.jpg:large

Picked it up yesterday. Case 1 and 2 have been pretty good so far. Onwards to case 3!

Steel

Banned

Am I a monster
for thinking Byakua was one of the best characters in 1? I honestly liked him more than almost anyone else.
(DR 1, not 2)

Am I a monster
for thinking Byakua was one of the best characters in 1? I honestly liked him more than almost anyone else.
(DR 1, not 2)

Better than liking Hiro

----------------------------------------------

Also, I guess to just get this out of the way, what is everyone's opinion on spoilers policy for the other Danganronpa series?

I think it should be open spoilers for Danganronpa 1 just because this is a direct sequel and you probably shouldn't be here before playing it.

Danganronpa Zero: Closed spoilers because even though it takes place before 2 and was released before 2, it hasn't actually been officially released here.

Danganronpa IF: Part of this game so closed spoilers of course.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Lock it up in spoilers!

Danganronpa Kyoko Kirigiri: I guess spoilers even though it has really nothing to do with this game but just out of the fact that most people here doesn't have a chance to read it.

FUCKKKK! AGHHH, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I DIDNT WANT TO HAPPEN!

This first game didn't leave me anywhere near this much of an emotional mess. God fucking dammit.

Moonlight

Banned
I am dying on the vine without this game, you people don't even know. Managed to skate through what felt like a total minefield since February (and still got possibly spoiled on two things), and nearly died trying to avert my eyes from what seemed like SDR2 fanart in the artist's alley at the con I was just at. It's gonna be a real hard wait. ;_;

Gonna be real liberating to finally browse that Danganronpa tag on Tumblr.

My favourites thus far, BTW:

1. Ibuki Mioda
2. Teruteru
3. Sonia Nevermind
4. Peko Pekoyama
5. Gundham Tanaka

Veterans may point and laugh or something.

(but if you do, don't tell me)

Labrys

I am dying on the vine without this game, you people don't even know. Managed to skate through what felt like a total minefield since February (and still got possibly spoiled on two things), and nearly died trying to avert my eyes from what seemed like SDR2 fanart in the artist's alley at the con I was just at. It's gonna be a real hard wait. ;_;

Gonna be real liberating to finally browse that Danganronpa tag on Tumblr.

My favourites thus far, BTW:

1. Ibuki Mioda
2. Teruteru
3. Sonia Nevermind
4. Peko Pekoyama
5. Gundham Tanaka

Veterans may point and laugh or something.

(but if you do, don't tell me)

You have good taste.

Steel

Banned
Better than liking Hiro

----------------------------------------------

Also, I guess to just get this out of the way, what is everyone's opinion on spoilers policy for the other Danganronpa series?

I think it should be open spoilers for Danganronpa 1 just because this is a direct sequel and you probably shouldn't be here before playing it.

It's perfectly possible that people who are planning to buy DR 1 will just skim this thread, or people who think they can play them out of order. There was someone who hadn't played 1 in here earlier thinking they'd just jump into 2, if I recall properly.

Also,
how did hiro not die? He was like the one guy I was hoping would end up murdered/executed.

ss-hikaru

All I want is to be with Asahina...

tumblr_mvc4on4K001sifqsjo1_500-8572.jpg

I wonder if we'll find out what happened to the survivors of DR1 other than Byakuya (this is just thinking out loud, I don't actually need an answer :p).

Agreeing with dakkumauji on spoiler protocol for this thread. DR1 all fine but everything else spoiler tag the crap outta (please)!

Lucifon

So I've just picked up DR1 for my holiday in a few weeks. Played it for about 30 mins but looking forward to getting stuck in. Seems like there's some major love on GAF for this series. Almost tempted to buy the 2nd (mainly because...art book) but after seeing how lengthy the first is I'll hold off.

I honestly wasn't that blown away by the first game. Picked it up after a friend recommended it. I was always at least two steps ahead of it the entire time, so when the game was finally over, I was left with a "That's it?" feeling. Don't get me wrong here, I liked the game, and I am definitely picking this one up.

Now I know nothing about this one, except that there is an island and a pink monokuma. I'm going to spoiler the next part anyway, just in case I'm on to something here. It's about the characters in general.

Okay, from looking at the character designs they all seem like different combinations of the characters in the previous game. Such as Owari in this game looks like a mix of Hina and Sakura for example. Now I literal know nothing about this game, and I don't really want to spoil it for myself, but I kinda want to get that off my chest.

All I want is to be with Asahina...

tumblr_mvc4on4K001sifqsjo1_500-8572.jpg
god_damn_right_breaking_bad.gif

Feep

Banned
SUPPORT MY CAREER

ACTUALLY MY CAREER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW WELL THIS GAME SELLS

SUPPORT NISA

WOOOOOOOOOOO DR2

Alpha_eX

I'm enjoying the game so far but it reuses a lot of assets from the previous game, even some of the characters feel recycled. After the first two chapters, I know not to ever play this again on public transport, the eagle was really cringe, a lot of fanservice here!

Anyone know if the pet is worth bothering with? I've been feeding it all my double items from the coin machine.

Darksol

I'm going to play the shit out of this game, neglect my job, family, social responsibilities...come on game, release already!

Lusankya

I honestly wasn't that blown away by the first game. Picked it up after a friend recommended it. I was always at least two steps ahead of it the entire time, so when the game was finally over, I was left with a "That's it?" feeling. Don't get me wrong here, I liked the game, and I am definitely picking this one up.

Now I know nothing about this one, except that there is an island and a pink monokuma. I'm going to spoiler the next part anyway, just in case I'm on to something here. It's about the characters in general.

Okay, from looking at the character designs they all seem like different combinations of the characters in the previous game. Such as Owari in this game looks like a mix of Hina and Sakura for example. Now I literal know nothing about this game, and I don't really want to spoil it for myself, but I kinda want to get that off my chest.

Coincidence. Well, apart from that one character.

Top Bottom