• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been replaying DR2 and man, this whole thing with Narukami vs Naegi is seriously Nagito's wet dream. Seeing all his lines again about strong hope devouring weaker hope, the whole Junko thing was the midcard match to the Yu/Naegi Wrestlemania main event.

FluxWaveZ

I've been replaying DR2 and man, this whole thing with Narukami vs Naegi is seriously Nagito's wet dream. Seeing all his lines again about strong hope devouring weaker hope, the whole Junko thing was the midcard match to the Yu/Naegi Wrestlemania main event.

Ew, no. Yu has nothing on Makoto, tbh.

UberTag

Man, the Despair arc has its work cut out for it today if it's going to manage to find a way to out-despair Pokémon.

So many overgrown kids in mourning. That's a tough act to follow. Better get cracking, Junko.

Pre-emptive RIP Chiaki.

h0tp0ck3t

Today's gonna be the day isn't it? ;_;
IMG_20160818_082454476_zpsldst3dam.jpg

Capndrake

Despair 6

Oh man, altered OP, it's happening.

I guess now we know why Juzo is so angry all the time, because Persona 4 stole his girlfriend?

Also, did that bit at the end seriously imply Ryota might be the mastermind or traitor?

T-Rex.

Banned
Despair #6

Altered op. Based Izuru. Based Junko. The madness has arrived. On a side note, I really should have read Zero sooner lol.

Wonder what that ending was about with Junko meeting Ryota? Lmao if he's the mastermind in the Future side.

Luigi87

Despair #6

We gonna start spiraling toward to despair @_@

And that Altered OP... aside from the Despair implications, they also did one other change designed to send us viewers into despair... Chiaki is smiling at the end of it.

But seriously, great episode. I did not expect the fateful encounter between Junko and Izuru to happen already, and I love that Izuru took them both down barely even moving.

What really was great though was Izuru immediately calling out Junko's actual talent for her analytical abilities. Junko's explanation about her abilities and chaos finally gave some real insight into why she was bored with the world from the moment she was born (something she has said since the first game).

Also, Junko is absolutely terrifying. I mean that's to be expected, but we've never truly seen her in action until now, and... yikes.

FluxWaveZ

Yep, this episode is pretty much what I thought it'd be, though I never expected Mitarai to have close ties to Junko. Weird, I wonder what she sees in him, or if he's someone she thinks would be especially fun to break.

The part where Izuru and Junko have a discussion about her actual talent—as the Ultimate Analyst—was my favorite part. It gave some actually good and reasonable insight into why Junko is the way she is, and why Izuru would want to associate with her.

It's interesting how much this anime is really for the fans who've consumed all the important DR media. People who haven't read Danganronpa Zero are going to be a bit lost from this point, while people who haven't experienced Danganronpa: Another Episode are going to be a bit lost for the Future arc.

Luigi87

Oh one thing that surprised me...

Up until this episode... they've been attending class in the Old Building (North Campus)?
I had assumed this whole time they were already on the East Campus @_@

Dat OP change. Poor Chiaki, its gonna hurt when she dies. Also that reveal that Juuzo was into Chisa, guess that it will lead into a dramatic battle with P4 MC.

Loved how Izuru owned both Despair Sisters. And that Mitarai reveal, this could lead to many things.

I guess next episode is the first mutual killing. Despaiiiiiiiiiiiir.

FluxWaveZ

I guess next episode is the first mutual killing. Despaiiiiiiiiiiiir.

No, it's still too early for that. They're definitely going to go (or at least glance) through some Ryoko Otonashi business, and there's not enough build up yet for the killing game to make sense right now.

I thought for a moment that they were going to have a slight retcon (or added background that we didn't know about) and that Junko was going to wake up in the hospital as Ryoko.

As with the Future episode, this one served as setup for everything that's going to happen in the series. The fact that they moved to the new building, the cameos of the Steering Committee and a glipse to Junko's crazy torture methods as previously seen in Zero.

And we finally see the fateful reunion between Izuru and Junko. And Kamukura lost no tme in reading Junko like an open book and saw her for her actual talent, finally confirming us that the reason for her to like despair so much is the depravity and lack of predictability that comes with it. But seeing how he disposed of Junko and Mukuro, the first Mutual Killing game is not going to be a challenge (from his point of view).

I thought for a moment that they were going to have a slight retcon (or added background that we didn't know about) and that Junko was going to wake up in the hospital as Ryoko.
I actually thought so, but it wouldn't make sense considering that personality was a direct result of Matsuda's involvement and he is still missing here. And apparently the Despair arc is only 11 episodes long (it seems that the 12th is a special with VA commentary), so we are running out of time to see him and the New World Program development process.

Holy fucking shit.

The Izuru monologue at the beginning.
Doesn't help that I find it rather relatable... I know it's wrong but still... :/
That torture scene.
The retina scanner.
Mukuro. <3 <3 <3 Didn't care about her before but she grew on me in two episodes.
*That* scene. Every single second of it. I'm positive that that scene is likely the most important scene we've seen in the series since Junko's execution in DR1.
Especially
No one can save you.
Only despair can save you.
Only I can save you.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I never had much investment in the series' lore (couldn't care much from the "despair-crazy chick ends the world" in DR1) but holy shit seeing this and knowing what's to come fucking HURTS.

Luigi87

No, it's still too early for that. They're definitely going to go (or at least glance) through some Ryoko Otonashi business, and there's not enough build up yet for the killing game to make sense right now.

I think ColossalLazy meant the Student Council killings as the first mutual killings. That event occured before Junko did the mind wiping experiment as Ryoko Otonashi.

Style

Banned
It finally happened. I've been questioning Mitarai's role ever since the official material said he was a student of class 77, but the only thing we got in despair was Imposter as him. He's shady to the core.

FluxWaveZ

I think ColossalLazy meant the Student Council killings as the first mutual killings. That event occured before Junko did the mind wiping experiment as Ryoko Otonashi.

That's what I was talking about. The first mutual killing game, the Student Council killing game, was taking place at the same time Junko was Ryoko. It's absolutely too early for that to happen right in the next episode. There's Mitarai and Junko's relationship to cover, the arrival of Narukami, some 77th class nonsense, more set up and discussion between Junko and Izuru, more context behind the bad stuff going on at Hope's Peak, etc. They also haven't telegraphed Chiaki's involvement and eventual fate enough yet.

That's what I was talking about. The first mutual killing game, the Student Council killing game, was taking place at the same time Junko was Ryoko. It's absolutely too early for that to happen right in the next episode. There's Mitarai and Junko's relationship to cover, the arrival of Narukami, some 77th class nonsense, more set up and discussion between Junko and Izuru, more context behind the bad stuff going on at Hope's Peak, etc. They also haven't telegraphed Chiaki's involvement and eventual fate enough yet.

Really? From what I have read from DR Zero, the Ryoko business came after the killing unless I misread something.

Luigi87

That's what I was talking about. The first mutual killing game, the Student Council killing game, was taking place at the same time Junko was Ryoko. It's absolutely too early for that to happen right in the next episode.

It was before it though I thought?

>First Mutual Killings
>Junko shows the Reserve Course the killings | The Trustees hide Izuru away
>The Reserve Course begin their protests
>Junko becomes Ryoko
[...]
>Ryoko stumbles across the brainwashed Monokuma helmet people who've watched the first mutual killings over 2000+ times (IIRC). (minor edit: It's over 5000 times, lol)

Edit: Yeah, I won't argue that it is likely too early to come next week (though they began setting it up by having them move from the North Campus to the East Campus), just trying to order the timeline here.

T-Rex.

Banned
Poor Hajime; from being depressed at being completely ordinary to being depressed at being completely OP. Future side better end well for him.

:|

FluxWaveZ

Really? From what I have read from DR Zero, the Ryoko business came after the killing unless I misread something.

In DR0, Ryoko ends up meeting a group of Reserve course students with Monokuma heads, who lead her to watch the first mutual killing game on a monitor as it's going on while she thinks of how horrifying it is. Unless I misunderstood something, that was describing that it was happening at that very time.

>Ryoko stumbles across the brainwashed Monokuma helmet people who've watched the first mutual killings over 2000+ times (IIRC).

Edit: Yeah, I won't argue that it is likely too early to come next week (though they began setting it up by having them move from the North Campus to the East Campus), just trying to order the timeline here.
No it was a recording. They mention that they have watched the video a thousand of times.

OH, that's the detail I forgot. I was wrong then, your sequence is the right one.

But yeah, I still do think it's too early for it to happen in episode 7 for the other reasons. It needs more set up.

In DR0, Ryoko ends up meeting a group of Reserve course students with Monokuma heads, who lead her to watch the first mutual killing game on a monitor as it's going on while she thinks of how horrifying it is. Unless I misunderstood something, that was describing that it was happening at that very time.

No it was a recording. They mention that they have watched the video a thousand of times.

Style

Banned
I really don't get something.

If Imposter was posing as Mitarai, why's he assuming the guise of Togami in DR2???

Imposter was going to start as Togami, but met Mitarai and struck the deal with him right at the start of their enrollment to Hope's Peak Academy, is my guess. When they were put in the simulator they were reverted to their cognitive state right before they started at Hope's Peak Academy, the whole deal and scenario of him switching identity didn't happen/matter and they just rolled with Togami, maybe.

Either that or the answer is: don't think about it.

DNAbro

That torture/eyeball scene. Junko you sick fuck.

Also whaaaaaat at the Ryota encounter. I knew something was going on with him.

Also a new Killer Killer chapter is apparently out.

Rich!

amazing episode

and oh god the return of THAT music

*shudder*

Imposter was going to start as Togami, but met Mitarai and struck the deal with him right at the start of their enrollment to Hope's Peak Academy, is my guess. When they were put in the simulator they were reverted to their cognitive state right before they started at Hope's Peak Academy, the whole deal and scenario of him switching identity didn't happen/matter and they just rolled with Togami, maybe.

that is absolutely the right answer, and last week's episode proved it.

Despair 6: Damn this episode did some setting up, favourite bits had to be the Junko torture and the Izuru/Junko scene. Mitarai I always pegged as suspicious from the first future arc episode, so it'll be interesting to see how that develops.

Also Juzo showing that one little bit of emotion other than anger finally I wonder if he will get any redemption.

Luigi87

You know, that episode left me on such a high, even reading the other comments it didn't even occur to me what Junko meeting Mitarai meant. I completely spaced on that he's not among the 77th Class due to Imposter... I feel so dumb, lol

Rich!

Also Juzo showing that one little bit of emotion other than anger finally I wonder if he will get any redemption.

I bet he will.

munakata has gone insane, and I bet juzo will put an end to it.

Have you read Danganronpa/Zero? It's pretty much her modus operandi when torturing.

I know, it sealed the deal in my opinion.

enoshima in a room with izuru...with the hymn that contains the lyrics "EN NO SHIIIIIIMAAAAA" oh man.

Dekutulla

I kind of hope there's a twist that Juzo actually loved Munakata, not Chisa, but that's a long shot and I doubt it'll happen

Also man, that eye scene

Luigi87

Munakata totally gonna kill Juzo.

Also Danganronpa always fascinates me.

It's like on one hand it's incredibly light hearted with some laugh out loud moments, and then on the other hand it's dark as fuck.

Goodstyle

The worst thing about Junko is what a blatant, badly executed, Joker riff she is. Now this anime has piled on by making his sister basically Harley Quinn. To be fair though, even a second-hand Joker is still an entertaining character that injects life into a show like this one.

Junko's Villain Speech this episode was interesting; it's sort of parallel to what I'd thought her thinking was, but in another way it's kind of the opposite. I'd always assumed she rejected Hope as a pretense, which is sort of what she does, but for a different reason. In the episode she says all it does is reinforce the preexisting Harmony (read: social order), that it's stagnant whereas Despair is chaotic and full of possibility. To me that's a bit weird because that's not what I was getting out of the dichotomy between, let's say, True Hope and True Despair; True Hope is a belief in deliverance, that the human condition is fundamentally improvable, and sort of embracing 'the future' and 'unknown', like the end of DR2 shows. Conversely, Despair denies that we can be anything other than what we are, base, somewhat clever animals with impossible absurd aspirations that can never be fulfilled; so why not wallow in it?

I mean part of me think's Junko's spiel is only a half-truth, given in DR1 and 2 she seems to get off, fundamentally, to inevitability, not possibility. Chaos is just a means of reverting human beings to their 'true', despair-filled natures, imo.

He also goes back to being Togami for the events of Danganronpa Togami.

PK Gaming

So the first half of this episode was pretty mediocre. Not sure why Hajime's hair immediately grows, since I thought the entire point of his wild appearance was to convey that he was so far gone, he'd basically given up on maintaining his appearance. The DR2 class continues to be some of the weakest, least compelling characters and Juzo somehow managed to get even worse.

The 2nd half however, was quite good. Junko and Mukuro are an absolute delight to watch (they're basically Japanese Joker and Harley.) It was almost meta experience in a way; Junko is a character who lives for excitement and I myself only get excited towards the character when they do something unexpected with her. So you can imagine how much I enjoyed her exchange with Izuru. I absolutely love how they changed a bit Izuru's characterization&#8212;from Izuru having his spirit broken to Izuru being enticed by the concept of Despair. I know people are going to be unhappy about the reveal, but I actually really do like how they gave a reason for Junko's Despair. Living in perpetual, agonizing boredom seems genuinely terrifying.

It's still DanganRonpa's brand of silly, but you can at least feel something resembling an actual character rather than before when she was basically "lol i'm random."

UberTag

Poor Hajime; from being depressed at being completely ordinary to being depressed at being completely OP. Future side better end well for him.
Just think how much better off the world would of been had Hajime just gotten himself a healthy Xanax dependency like much of the youth of today instead of signing on for a lobotomy and reprogramming. I'm sure Seiko could have hooked him up and everything... although she's probably not a fan of over-the-counter crap she didn't brew up herself.

Despair / Future Episode 2 dub observations... Ricco Fajardo is much-improved as Munakata this week as he's beginning to find his voice in the role and isn't coming off so inconsistent and amateurish. The aphrodisiac curry scene came off hilarious with the localization as well.

I can't say enough good things about the life-like spin Christine Cabanos has put on her recognizable Chiaki delivery. The difference between AI Chiaki and real girl Chiaki comes off so much stronger in the English dub localization. It really wouldn't have had the same effect had they recast her so it's great that FUNimation made the effort to grab her despite the fact that she's predominantly done most of her anime voice acting work for Bang Zoom! in Los Angeles. This might be her first FUNi gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom