• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Okay, here's the thing

No one died

Everything is a lie

Because Hiro's fortunes haven't been wrong yet

That kind of annoyed me. Unless Kodaka is actually fully aware and is intentionally subverting the audience's expectation that a "silly prediction" from him would actually truly happen based on previous instances where he's done the same, it would mean there'll be some bullshit that will lead to that vision he had.

Thoraxes

That kind of annoyed me. Unless Kodaka is actually fully aware and is intentionally subverting the audience's expectation that a "silly prediction" from him would actually truly happen based on previous instances where he's done the same, it would mean there'll be some bullshit that will lead to that vision he had.

Knowing Kodaka he's already subverted your subverted subversion. He doesn't seem to do anything that isn't on purpose somehow.

I'm all aboard this ride.

Eumi

Okay, so the theory

Everyone who dies is injected with a drug that produces death-like states, even Tengan, who was saved from death by a 16th person

Which is how Hiro's prediction comes true
No, what if that was the case, except for the people Munakata has killed since he's the only one who's killed people on screen.

That's the despair inducing trick. That everyone totally would have been fine if not for him.

So, here's the thing

Koichi = mastermind? Out of the window. It has passed into red herring territory. His comment about having a friend who hates detectives was obviously intended to show him as someone who could be up to no good. It's too obvious! Therefore, Koichi is either not a villain at all, or he is just a minion like Monaca. In that case, who is left who could be the mastermind? Well, this is my list.

1. Daisaku Bandai - The death was all a ruse - we have yet to see him in Despair, so we can hardly verify anything about him. He is the least important character in the entire story, based on what we've seen.

2. Great Gozu - Another option - he is more well-defined than Bandai, but not by much. We also don't know who he really is, and the fact that Kyoko covered his face suggests that his identity is important.

3. Sixteenth student - Not even a confirmed possibility, just hinted; I don't think this person would be the mastermind though.

4. Chisa - Is not the mastermind. Again, too simple an answer.

5. Ryota - There is always the possibility that he is the mastermind, but this too might be too simple an answer just because he stands out a lot.

6. Ando - Izayoi went into a secret room and is now dead. This almost suggests to me that Ando is doing some shady shit.

Overall, my expectations for mastermind? It's definitely the Great Gozu. When one factors in both how little we know about him but also how much mystery there is to the character. We know a lot about Ando, Ryota, and Chisa, and Bandai being the traitor would be too much out of nowhere. Great Gozu is the right level of "out of nowhere" but also "what's going on with him".

But it won't be him

It will be Nagito

But then who saves trenchcoat?

Who is trenchcoat

Rich!

Remember how that turned out with Asahina

Toy knife bb

Imo, no.

I think its pretty clear now that Makoto and crew have purposefully been kept alive by monaca. She's obviously protested against this, hence the asahina fakeout. But her master, the one pulling the strings, wants the ultimate hope to escape with the rest of HIS classmates. To get to Jabberwock.

Nagiiiitooooooooo

Eumi

Imo, no.

I think its pretty clear now that Makoto and crew have purposefully been kept alive by monaca. She's obviously protested against this, hence the asahina fakeout. But her master, the one pulling the strings, wants the ultimate hope to escape with the rest of HIS classmates. To get to Jabberwock.

Nagiiiitooooooooo
You know, I really like the idea that Nagito is the mastermind but he doesn't know it. Like he never got his memories back or is still in a coma, but his Ultimate Luck means that his plans are moving along fine without him.

Like he'll wake up or something and be like "Wait what happened? Oh, awesome!"

Nightbird

You know, I really like the idea that Nagito is the mastermind but he doesn't know it. Like he never got his memories back or is still in a coma, but his Ultimate Luck means that his plans are moving along fine without him.

Fuck, that definitely sounds like a Nagito thing

Derpot

2. Great Gozu - Another option - he is more well-defined than Bandai, but not by much. We also don't know who he really is, and the fact that Kyoko covered his face suggests that his identity is important.

Didn't she do that because it's a dishonour for wrestlers / luchadores to show their face under their mask after their defeat or something like that?

Didn't she do that because it's a dishonour for wrestlers / luchadores to show their face under their mask after their defeat or something like that?

That was one thing I considered, but I think that's just something to throw viewers off. It just feels like a situation of "if there's a stone left unturned, it'll be unturned by the end of it all"

EDIT: Also, curious - how many people have had the "found a dead body" "jingle" that the original games had? Unless I'm mistaken, hasn't it only played during the discovery of the nameless FF agents and Izayoi?

kewlmyc

Nagito is my favorite DR character, but please, please, please, don't let him be the mastermind. Would just come off as kind of lame and pandering.

UberTag

So it would seem that fan art of Hajime with monochromatic eyes are making the rounds and have taken root since the end of Future 6.

Cp8u0QIUkAAdJN8.jpg
Cp8qYngUMAABKQu.jpg

It really does make a great deal of sense given what we've been shown.

Newly born Izuru from Despair 5...

Izuru.png

Recently reformed Hajime from Future 6...

Monochromatic%20Hajime%201.png
Monochromatic%20Hajime%202.png

And it got me thinking. Perhaps the pronounced absence of Monokuma in the Future arc is more of a conscious decision to highlight the fact that the current killing game is largely about bringing the Monokuma out in all of the Future foundation. After all...

Weekly Future arc death chart update...

7WryW7xn4wy2AqdxGVwVFw8lIPkb-tIj9oIDvCZmwDs.png
Most of these victims share a common thread of having their left eyes bleed out... some due to being poisoned, some due to being taken out by the attacker. Reminds you of a certain Monobear, does it not?

sticker,220x200-pad,220x200,ffffff.jpg

The exceptions, of course, being Miaya (who was presumably killed by Monaca who clearly cares very little about making statements like this) and Tengan, who fell after having his throat slashed by Munakata.

Speaking of which, even Pirate Munakata shares this latest fashion trend... or actually, he doesn't, because Tengan took out his RIGHT eye. I wonder what that portends.

I also thinks this throws cold water on the alternating attacker theory unless the suspending and presenting of the corpses with the bled out left eyes is done by the 16th player / mastermind AFTER the fact (whether these victims are attacked or are the designated attacker and commit suicide). The presentation element is key. Which means this obviously isn't being done by Monaca (independently during the sleep cycle) because how Miaya's corpse was found clearly shows that she doesn't care about this commonality. Ruruka's clearly absolved as well seeing how she went out of her way not to call attention to it (albeit in a badly transparent fashion that Kyoko sussed out immediately).

Diablos54

Yes they are both one series which you should watch simultanously.

Mirai Episode 1
Despair Episode 1
Mirai Episode 2
Despiar Episode 2
etc...

It's important, because characters from the future arc are shown in the despair arc and better explained what happened before everything. E.g. you missed the whole point of Ruruka and Seiko.

You should be alternating between the two as they air. Stuff that comes up in Future is expanded upon in Despair and vice versa.

Yep, alternate Future and Despair. There's crossovers up the butt. They're airing at the same time for a reason.
Ahhh fuck, thanks guys, I guess I better catch up now then!

Luigi87

All I can say about Monaca is the sole purpose she is keeping Makoto, the Ultimate Hope, alive, is so that she can attempt to plummet him into that much more despair. Heck the fact that she's actively being the one to encourage and build him up, before Asahina had a chance to, shows at least that she wants Makoto to eventually learn the truth that she is an enemy so he feels despair at the betrayal.

Fortunately Komaru and Toko are on the case!

Edit: I just figured out the true final boss mastermind!

Monagitokumaeda!

Danganronpa%203%20-%20Future%20Arc%20-%2006_01.jpg

The burden is heavy ?? it's heavier than steel and bothering him since the start !!
Well monaca is chilling out in towa city , eating ice cream & surrounded by monokuma robots..
Danganronpa%203%20-%20Future%20Arc%20-%2006_02.jpg

much more expressive than during 90% of despair girls.
She's actually great when she's not acting like a girl to be protected.

This is a good thread but can anyone beat Izuru Kamukura?
I'm not talking about Reserve Course Hajime Hinata. I'm not talking about Ultimate Hope Izuru Kumukura. I'm not even talking about Remnants of Despair Izuru Kamukura, either. I'm not even talking about Ultimate Future Izuru Kumukura with full control over Hajime Hinata experience (who is a veteran of Improved Hangman's Gambit, Truth Sword Debates, Crime Manga Writing and Mental Surfing), ninety hope shards (which grant him Neural Liberation, Envious Influence, Auto Focus Lightning Flash, Cheat Code, Trance, Delusion, Vocabulary, Charisma and Algorithm) capable of being Ultimate Athlete, Ultimate Serial Killer, Ultimate Breeder, Ultimate Mechanic, Ultimate Omposter, Ultimate Martial Artist, Ultimate Soldier and even Ultimate Analyst, supported by Komaeda Nagisa (in the peak of his luck circle, with fully working Junko Hand and full pack of Dr Hopper), control of both the Novoselic Kingdom and the Kuzuryu clan, with Chiaki AI and Alter Ego simulated by his mind, four Dark Devas of Destruction guarding him, control over Jabberwack Island and The New World Program, entered You've Got That Wrong Mode, shooting Future Bullets on everybody and solved Final Death Room so he can use Octagon just from camera angle. I'm Talking about Ultimate Mastermind Izuru Kumukura, survivor of two killing games, with a perfect understanding of Future, who caused The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History, equipped with Gravel Swimsuit and Meat On The Bone while casting Infinity Unlimited Flame with his Makango, controlling the Despair Disease bugs, able to be interested in boats for full five seconds, wearing the three years old school clothes and protagonist ahoge, with desire to avenge his double dead gamer girl waifu, who can perform everything that normal people couldn't even dream of while being an expert in thousands of fields and billion of abilities and bored from all of that even before he started.

Too much i had a brain fart around the middle .

Plz nerf that luck , it's off the charts .!!

NeonZ

I've just seen this mentioned elsewhere... Monokuma at the end of the first episode talks using "kimi" for "you", rather than "omae" like he did in the original games. That would match Nagito's and Ryota's speech style.

GSR

I've just seen this mentioned elsewhere... Monokuma at the end of the first episode talks using "kimi" for "you", rather than "omae" like he did in the original games. That would match Nagito's and Ryota's speech style.

If we're going back to that clue, I called it in December:

Interesting bits at the end of the anime trailer:

"So, Naegi.. the fate of humanity is riding on this next round of 'mutual killing'."

"This time, it'll be the final battle between you and me!"

The language used in these (plus the background) suggests it's Monokuma speaking, though the "boku" in the latter means there's an outside chance it's
Nagito

Oh, duh, now I know why that last line made me think
Nagito
. It uses "kimi" as the second-person pronoun, whereas Monokuma almost always uses "omae". So yeah, more likely him.

Breads

Banned
So, here's the thing

Koichi = mastermind? Out of the window. It has passed into red herring territory. His comment about having a friend who hates detectives was obviously intended to show him as someone who could be up to no good. It's too obvious! Therefore, Koichi is either not a villain at all, or he is just a minion like Monaca. In that case, who is left who could be the mastermind? Well, this is my list.

1. Daisaku Bandai - The death was all a ruse - we have yet to see him in Despair, so we can hardly verify anything about him. He is the least important character in the entire story, based on what we've seen.

3. Sixteenth student - Not even a confirmed possibility, just hinted; I don't think this person would be the mastermind though.

4. Chisa - Is not the mastermind. Again, too simple an answer.

5. Ryota - There is always the possibility that he is the mastermind, but this too might be too simple an answer just because he stands out a lot.

6. Ando - Izayoi went into a secret room and is now dead. This almost suggests to me that Ando is doing some shady shit.

Overall, my expectations for mastermind? It's definitely the Great Gozu. When one factors in both how little we know about him but also how much mystery there is to the character. We know a lot about Ando, Ryota, and Chisa, and Bandai being the traitor would be too much out of nowhere. Great Gozu is the right level of "out of nowhere" but also "what's going on with him".

But it won't be him

It will be Nagito

Who is trenchcoat

This reads like you're joking now but... why not. As much as I enjoy these stories it's not like the conclusions are based on magnificently woven yarns.

Breads

Banned
Junko being an AI program, Jabberwock Island being a VR simulation, all of DR2's cast actually being ultimate despairs, and protag man being the ultimatest isn't much better :V

They're having fun with it. That's fine.

First they kill the Great Brozu and now you all want to sully his memory, I won't allow it.

Kirigiri is the mastermind, leave my bro alone.

You put a character into a mystery whose face is hidden, it's hidden for a reason tied to the mystery.

Great Gozu is going to turn out to be a horrible person.

You know why?

Because he's a wrestler. He's the most good character, and therefore is going to become a heel.

jonjonaug

Rewatching parts of Future, I just realized that Kirigiri writing everything down is kind of a massive death flag. She never did this in the game, and her NG code is probably something like "can't share observations", so we can't really learn what she's writing down unless she's dead.

Rewatching parts of Future, I just realized that Kirigiri writing everything down is kind of a massive death flag. She never did this in the game, and her NG code is probably something like "can't share observations", so we can't really learn what she's writing down unless she's dead.

But if someone steals her notes, she didn't share

Her detective skills would inherently suggest that she can remember all of these details - like you said, she doesn't write things down. As such, I am convinced that she is trying to create an opportunity for this information to be delivered. It could be the death flag like you said where she's leaving this behind to make sure the information survives if she doesn't, but it could also be that she's trying to think of a way to share the information without sharing it.

*Throws trash in the ring*

So you were the Great Gozu all along

Not even stealing, she could just conveniently forget it on a table. I'm surprised she didn't do that already, but she may be waiting to be reunited with Makoto and Asahina.

Mhmm. Tengan, Ryota, Ando, and Koichi are all people that Kyoko suspects for various reasons, so she wouldn't want them to know what she knows.

UberTag

Mhmm. Tengan, Ryota, Ando, and Koichi are all people that Kyoko suspects for various reasons, so she wouldn't want them to know what she knows.
Good to know that Juzo's in the clear despite his attempt to throw a chair at Kyoko's head.
His master plan of being an over-bearing violent thug to disguise his ulterior motives is working perfectly. Even Kirigiri is fooled.

Good to know that Juzo's in the clear despite his attempt to throw a chair at Kyoko's head.
His master plan of being an over-bearing violent thug to disguise his ulterior motives is working perfectly. Even Kirigiri is fooled.

everyone already forgot about juzo

Red Frost

Banned
I hope the next few future episodes don't have Izuru or the other RoDs using their talents to attack the ships. If they end up killing even one person, it'll be tough to defend Makoto's decision to keep them alive (and it's already pretty iffy). Would kind of kill the ending of DR2 for me.

UberTag

What is the day and Eastern time for both Danganronpa animes? I've been watching them much later than others.
New Future arc episodes air in Japan at 10:00am Eastern / 7:00am Pacific on Mondays.
New Despair arc episodes air in Japan at 10:30am Eastern / 7:30am Pacific on Thursdays.
English localized subbed videos usually materialize on FUNimation's website for streaming anywhere from 30-60 minutes after they finish airing.

Dubs of Future arc episodes show up on FUNimation's website on Wednesdays.
Dubs of Despair arc episodes show up on FUNimation's website on Thursdays.
The dubs are presently one month (or 4 episodes) behind their subtitled counterparts.

If Kyoko's forbidden action is that she can't tell others about her findings, well, it's not like it's that different from Danganronpa 1. Upon replaying that game it feels like half the time she's missing and the other half she's being cagey about what she's found during those times being missing.

Munakata's idea of the remanant os despair trojan horsing into the foundation by not killing anyone reminded me of that game you used to play in middle school. Everyone comes up with three statements, one is a lie, and your classmates have to guess the lie. I used to trojan horse a lie as one of the true statements and people would naturally believe me. I was a bit shitty.

Oh yeah, and they play this scene 16 billion times in the game lol. This is amazing though.

Finally catched up. lol

Future 5

Aww, such a cute flashback. Nice to see Ruruka actually treated Seiko like a friend in the beginning :p And of course Ruruka started treating Seiko like sh!t because she didn't eat her sweets lol come on girl, she said it's dangerous for her health :/ Seiko going crazy with the drugs. "When did everything went wrong?" Wowowow that conversation between Tengan and Munakata ended up horribly D: I'm gonna guess from his reaction that Tengan said Chisa is the traitor? Or maybe Munakata himself? But still, Munakata, I can't support your side if you're going around killing people ugh. Nonononononononononononononnono SEIKO!!!! :( Goddamit, I started the series disliking Seiko and now that she's one of my favorites she ends up dead. OF COURSE. :( Ahhh Munakata's face o_O Is he using Seiko's drug? Hmmmm.

Despair 5

Ryota episode this soon? O: So maybe he's not traitor of Future after all like people have been speculating. Rough childhood u.u but that's a nice motivation for his character. Uhhh so does that count as an explanation for why Chisa hated the Reserve Course? I mean, it can't be THAT bad or horrible. I doubt they got any students worse than Fuyuhiko or Hiyoko. DR1 students and reference to DR Zero students' class :D Yaaaay everyone's happy. Sweeeet Hiyoko grew as expected (seems Fuyuhiko is the only short one now xD aside from Teruteru) and Gundham and Sonia are a thing once again <3 Nekomaru's cool too. Now it's gonna be harder for Junko to turn them into despair I guess. So Ultimate Imposter and Ryota do know each other o: Yooooo a cameo of Yuto from Zero!!! :DDD

Aaaaaand JUNKO IS FINALLY HERE. Nice. Mukuro's obsession with Junko is weirder animated lol Finally Mikan has some lines! I really like the explanation of how Fatogami ended up becoming Ryota (but then it's weird that in the first episode UI actually wanted to stay in his house/apartment drawing anime... I suppose he really stays in character). Horny Mikan stop pls. UI is such a nice guy~ Dat nostalgia with Naegi. "I will become the protagonist of my own story" noooo Hajime D: Chiaki accepts you for who you are man. Stupid Juzo >_>

Future 6

Hagakure just spoiled the series' ending :p See, in this flashback of their graduation, Munakata and Juzo actually seem like nice people, but nooo, in Future they must act like assholes to everyone else and not even care when they're responsible for someone's death. Ewww Nightmare!Kirigiri. "Looks like we both survived." Koichi acting pretty suspicious :p but I won't fall to Kodaka's trap! NOOOOOO Now Izayoi too?! First Seiko now Izayoi :( Last episode he was finally doing something important! Like, come on, his death isn't even being treated as important as others. It just seems so random, like Ishimaru's in the first game x( but I guess it's fitting for Izayoi since he didn't really do anything. I suppose Izayoi found out something important and the mastermind/traitor ended up killing him for it?

Lol at Monaca playing with Naegi's hope "loser". "You're a warrior of hope" XD Ruruka you should be more sad about his death D: does she even know about Seiko's death? Finally Togami appears! It can't be DR without him :p So Monokuma lied about it being broadcast to the whole world? Hmm. Oh no they're going to attack the DR2 cast D: Of course they forget Hagakure for their reunion. NOOOOOOO the real Miaya is dead D: I was hoping she was just captured or something but agggh the dead body gave me goosebumps. OMG so glad they're addresing Despair Girls <3 And they're still as comical as ever. Come on Komaru, you should have changed clothes by now lol But the preparations are HYPE. "This is so boring" O: thank someone clarified me that the Hajime at the end of DR2's was sort of a combination of Izuru and Hajime's memories/personality from the game or I would have been confused by that. Today's episode is gonna rock :D
Edit: I forgot Juzo didn't actually appear in the episode lol
You put a character into a mystery whose face is hidden, it's hidden for a reason tied to the mystery.

Great Gozu is going to turn out to be a horrible person.

You know why?
He's Jataro's father. You heard it here first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom