• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

NEO0MJ

I'm on the third chapter. Man, Monokuma is hilarious. I love his sudden intrusion, they get me so hot.

tumblr_inline_n0gq435sp01qgdj69.gif

And Chihiro is cute like a little hamster. I want to feed her crackers or something.

5%28227%29.png

I knew she was a guy a short while into the investigation. Didn't expect Mondo to be the killer. Wish I spent more time with him.

bobawesome

With less than a month to go for Danganronpa 2 I decided to load up my old save file and WHAT?

46 hours and 23 minutes played
169 times saved

Granted, this includes all the time I spent in School Mode as well but I was under the assumption that I barely cracked the 30 hour mark. At a certain point in the game I was having issues with the touchscreen skipping text, hence the frequent saves.

I knew she was a guy a short while into the investigation. Didn't expect Mondo to be the killer. Wish I spent more time with him.

Post chapter 2 spoilers:

Ishimaru's breakdown afterwards was painful to watch. :(

upandaway

Just finished chapter 1

Sayaka dying made me freak out. I totally thought she was endgame. So okay, I thought she was the throwaway sudden first death traditional to these stories and BAM freaking the actual throwaway sudden death happens and I super freak out. Geez. Things just happened all of a sudden.

The court gameplay is really fun. Timers always stress me out but it's kinda endearing how hard they tried to be different from Ace Attorney, haha.
That said I figured out the entire case, culprit included, like halfway into the investigation. Not sure if that's just the style of the game to solve things during investigation and lay them out in trial (*cough* like actual court is supposed to be), but if it is, I can get used to that. Court felt like it went by instantly, although I did die at Bullet Time once without doing any damage because I didn't understand the gameplay at all.

Loving the game so far, everything is flashy and cool and the music reminds me a little bit of... Ever17? If it was more stylish. Maybe. It sure reminds me of something but I can't pinpoint it.

binhoker

Banned
Just about to start the first game about which I know nothing. I love the ace attorney games ( just beat investigations 2) should I play on kind or mean? Does it make a difference. I hated the puzzle sections of virtues last reward if that helps. As I say I know nothing about these games aside from people compare them to ace attorney (yay) and VLR (boo).

Is kind too easy, or are the puzzles and such secondary to the narrative?

Cheers.

GSR

I recommend Mean for logic and then whatever you like for action. Logic just increases the number of possible answers to questions and the like - there are no VLR-esque puzzles.

Mononoke

Banned
When I was living in Tokyo, I was surprised by how popular DanganRonpa is over there. I guess I've kept my head in the sand with this series prior to playing it. But yeah, they had merchandise of it in practically every store. Couldn't go to an arcade without seeing a bunch of of stuff with it.

Really cool, because I love the series. Can't wait for the sequel. I'll be living full time in Japan starting to November, so I guess I can get more of this series swag.

upandaway

Okay (mid-ch2)
I am definitely not a fan of the choice for deaths this early in the game :( Chihiro after Sayaka... I liked her! Awwwww man :(

Why not the clairvoyance dude or something, no one likes him

edit:
oh hey, minutes into the investigation and suddenly a ton of hints that chihiro's a boy. If that's the case, that'll be fun haha.

edit 2: I'm just about to go into court, so I'm putting up my speculation for full and thorough mockery in case I'm wrong
- Chihiro's a boy, was killed in the boy's locker room
- They'll go through Toko as the immediate suspect because of the Jack/personality disorder thing, but that's impossible because she's a girl, so I'm guessing among the boys the killer is Byakuya trying to frame someone else (though I'm not sure if Byakuya is Jack or if someone else is Jack but innocent in this particular case, or that none of them is Jack, or what)
- Byakuya chose MC for the investigation because MC looks useless and gullible

We'll see~

upandaway

............ .................hook, line and sinker. no words.

AND THEY KEEP KILLING MY FAVORITES WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT
I NEARLY THOUGHT TAKA'S GOING SUICIDAL AT THE END TOO THANK GOD

upandaway

ch3

Finally they kill someone I didn't like! And "Justice", pfft, see, that's easy, that's gotta be Tak- oh.

qbVQ8hZ.jpg

can't you at least let me entertain the possibility for a SECOND

DaBoss

ch3

Finally they kill someone I didn't like! And "Justice", pfft, see, that's easy, that's gotta be Tak- oh.

qbVQ8hZ.jpg

can't you at least let me entertain the possibility for a SECOND
I'm laughing so hard right now. I was waiting for this post after reading your last.

NEO0MJ

Just finished chapter 1

Sayaka dying made me freak out. I totally thought she was endgame. So okay, I thought she was the throwaway sudden first death traditional to these stories and BAM freaking the actual throwaway sudden death happens and I super freak out. Geez. Things just happened all of a sudden.

I was so happy when Saya died, she was so obviously manipulative. Leon got no sympathy from me for killing her, either. If he killed her on the spot when she first attacked him it would have been different, though.

upandaway

Going into court in a bit and I still have no clue what's going on. I've got hunches here and there but nothing near solid or even liquid. What a sharp contrast from ch1 where I figured everything out halfway through investigation.

DaBoss

I was so happy when Saya died, she was so obviously manipulative. Leon got no sympathy from me for killing her, either. If he killed her on the spot when she first attacked him it would have been different, though.
NEO, pls.

Fix the spoiler tag in the quote.

upandaway

freaking out

my hunch was celeste because of how much she "saw", but cooperation? he moved himself? THE PHOTO WAS WHAT?! WHAT?! so many things I could never see coming. and that ending to the chapter geeeeeeeeeeeeeez

There's a certain character that I wanna say thank god is still alive, but y'know what. last time i did that it didn't work out for me so this is a secret. You'll never wrestle this out of me.
RIP kiyondo, you were too good

Man the style and character design in the game is so good. And there's something so strangely comforting about
re-exploring all the known areas at the start of a chapter, just to get the 20 or so coins.
Especially after something as stressful as the court.

freaking out

my hunch was celeste because of how much she "saw", but cooperation? he moved himself? THE PHOTO WAS WHAT?! WHAT?! so many things I could never see coming. and that ending to the chapter geeeeeeeeeeeeeez

There's a certain character that I wanna say thank god is still alive, but y'know what. last time i did that it didn't work out for me so this is a secret. You'll never wrestle this out of me.
RIP kiyondo, you were too good

Man the style and character design in the game is so good. And there's something so strangely comforting about
re-exploring all the known areas at the start of a chapter, just to get the 20 or so coins.
Especially after something as stressful as the court.

Haha I love seeing people's reactions to this game! :D

upandaway

Starting investigation now, not much happened up to now in the chapter which leaves me to believe things are going to go down later on. We'll see!

My first reaction defaults to poison which is a pretty obvious conclusion (haven't so much as looked at the Monokuma File yet), because of the new Chem room and the locked room setup, but I doubt things will be that easy. I was never good with locked room murders.

edit:
whoa okay, that was a fast investigation. going into court.

I got nothin', I guess except for the fact Hina gave Sakura that candy. I could see Hina being the murderer but that's just "Player's POV logic", dunno what really happened.

edit 2: “Oh, by the way! You’re about halfway through the game now, go you!”

<- this idiot thought he was near the end *blush*

upandaway

ch4

holy crap

so THAT'S why it makes you cycle through the deceased's pictures when you select the criminal.... maaaaaaaaaaaaan

Still at the comic so motives are still not clear but man, okay. Okay. I'm good, I got this, I'm okay. When Byakuya started losing it I couldn't stop laughing. Pheeeeew. This trial started relatively normal and then things just went nuts!
oh just rememebered, sakura said monokuma forced her to kill someone in the group, I remember thinking she would probably just kill herself dangit I completely forgot

upandaway

THAT POST-TRIAL THOUGH

ARE YOU SERIOUS

the suicide letter, the execution, the kyoko, just what the hell. I need a rest I can't do more of this right now.

upandaway

heart attack

breathe, breathe, breathe... okay... okay....

that was so creepy oh my god

edit: LKSDJBGKLDGHSKLGFHKLS;DHG
DGJL;HSDKLGDKLSHGJDFHJGFGSDFGDS;FGHDJSKLHGKLSDH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

upandaway

Phew... going into court now.

The only things I'm thinking so far is that Mukuro is Kyoko and the 16th student is someone completely different... it seems like the murder was carried out before the sprinklers and the body kept dry using the tarp? Not much else I'm running on. Either way I'm thinking the culprit isn't one of the 4. Nothing could possibly go wrong with making these unfounded assumptions.

DaBoss

Phew... going into court now.

The only things I'm thinking so far is that Mukuro is Kyoko and the 16th student is someone completely different... it seems like the murder was carried out before the sprinklers and the body kept dry using the tarp? Not much else I'm running on. Either way I'm thinking the culprit isn't one of the 4. Nothing could possibly go wrong with making these unfounded assumptions.
I guess we'll find out soon.

upandaway

...Sooner than I expected.

Next time I'll go in the dang door before posting!

Edit: ch5 end
I can barely put the Vita down at this point but whew. I went through the Kyoko execution, man, I sure feel dumb about that one. Things are finally getting a bit more transparent on monokuma's end but not nearly enough.
And we still don't know who the culprit is behind the crime scene setup and the bomb, I mean assuming the mastermind is among them. I could totally see Hiro being an act from day 1 but who knows.

The trial went pretty smoothly but everything felt so wrong because I didn't understand where we were going with this, it was creepy. Things were somewhat cleared up in the post-trial so that's cool.

bigkrev

...Sooner than I expected.

Next time I'll go in the dang door before posting!

Edit: ch5 end
I can barely put the Vita down at this point but whew. I went through the Kyoko execution, man, I sure feel dumb about that one. Things are finally getting a bit more transparent on monokuma's end but not nearly enough.
And we still don't know who the culprit is behind the crime scene setup and the bomb, I mean assuming the mastermind is among them. I could totally see Hiro being an act from day 1 but who knows.

The trial went pretty smoothly but everything felt so wrong because I didn't understand where we were going with this, it was creepy. Things were somewhat cleared up in the post-trial so that's cool.

I bet that most people get the Kyoko death the first time they play. Kyoko asks you not to name her, but at this point in the game there really ins't any reason you should trust her. I had a minor heart attack when it happened.

I bet that most people get the Kyoko death the first time they play. Kyoko asks you not to name her, but at this point in the game there really ins't any reason you should trust her. I had a minor heart attack when it happened.

I thought all those flashes before the decision was a pretty good indication to trust her. It seemed to be driving the point home that you need trust to get out of there.

upandaway

the twists

the twistsssss

JUNKO????

oh dang didn't someone say when they first met her that she doesn't look like the pictures and she blamed photoshop? ALL THIS FORESHADOWING (edit: aw they flashed back to it, I wanted to feel smart with my memory...)

upandaway

Done. And had some time to chill with the soundtrack (that I got with the limited edition~) so I can actually write a coherent post. Kinda need a bath now because of the sweat haha. I've been sitting on this game for like 10 hours straight! Whew!

The ending was everything I wanted. All this hope. When the door opened at the end I thought it was just gonna show a plane crashing on them or something haha. I love how legitimate questions were straight up dismissed because Junko got bored with explanations. This game just didn't sweat the small stuff.

It was really refreshing to see a crime story where stuff like fingerprints and other high level science things didn't play into the detective work. It was kept so straightforward which felt really good. There wasn't a point like where I missed a possible solution because I didn't know a certain thing was possible scientifically or whatever, the logic was pure. Although the gameplay could use a bit of tweaking it was super fun.
The style was amazing too. I've played a bunch of games that people said had a lot of personality and style but I can honestly say nothing I played ever came as far as this. Cutscenes are usually where it breaks apart but here it was what sealed it in.

And of course the story, not much to say because my entire process is laid out on this page haha. When the title screen music came on, geez. I was somewhere else, man. I didn't snap out of it until the credits.

To this point I'm still blown away that Hina took it to the end. I liked her so that was nice. Sakura and Genocide also really grew on me, especially Sakura was a boss. Taka was always amazing. Of course Kyoko. Pretty much everyone were great, the only characters I didn't like were Hiro and Hifumi.

Still not sure what I'll do in terms of 100%ing the game... seems like I'm missing quite a bit. Is there any optimal way to go about that?
And about DR2, unfortunately the LE is too expensive and I wanna give it the full marathon treatment again, so who knows how long it'll take me to get to that... but I will be there, for sure. I just finished the game and I'm already overhyped for the next one.

My thinking was actually that she said to go forward in face of danger which in my mind meant to say what I think even if my gut tells me it's gonna lead to some damage. The fact she specifically asked not to out her kinda went over my head I guess.

NEO0MJ

the twists

the twistsssss

JUNKO????

oh dang didn't someone say when they first met her that she doesn't look like the pictures and she blamed photoshop? ALL THIS FORESHADOWING (edit: aw they flashed back to it, I wanted to feel smart with my memory...)

The thing that made think something was up with her was that when she was speared he dialogue made it seem like she was betrayed.

upandaway

The thing that made think something was up with her was that when she was speared he dialogue made it seem like she was betrayed.
That's crazy. I would have never taken it that way.
Never even thought about her until the game needed me to
. Good catch~

Top Bottom