• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Gazoinks

Started this game today and got up to the investigation in chapter 2. I think I may have got spoiled on the mastermind a while back, but it's a great game so far. Good writing, great atmosphere, and the characters are all really charming.

Also, this game is already killing off the characters I like.
I figured Sayaka would either be first death or secret long-term maniac, but I was not expecting Chihiro to go out so soon. I was hanging out with her! ;_;

I asked this in the PSN Sale thread but I was wondering if there was free exploration of the school and such. I've seen very little videos but I did see one where it looked like there was first person movement and exploration.

Still picking this up tomorow.

I asked this in the PSN Sale thread but I was wondering if there was free exploration of the school and such. I've seen very little videos but I did see one where it looked like there was first person movement and exploration.

Still picking this up tomorow.

The school opens up as you go with the story, but yes, when given the chance (generally in Free Time), you are able to explore the school to your leisure.

It's done through first person movement.

Gazoinks

Just finished Ch 3. The investigation was pretty obvious, but these post-investigation twists!

Monokuma put something in Koyoko's body? Secret room? Sakura is the spy? But we were buddies!

Finally got the platinum. Took less than expected, but was still a bit boring. I had videos running while doing School Mode to make it tolerable.

Gazoinks

Ch 4.

SvLuJ2W.jpg

Great case this time around.
I picked up on it being Hina fairly early, but I totally didn't see Sakura's suicide coming. She was the spy, but the was still probably the most reliable person around. Sad. And now Alter Ego's gone as well. ;_;

Oh, also there's a myyystery student. So that's a thing.

Get served, Byakuya!

ChrisD

So... I don't dislike the game. But are all nonstop debates such a MASSIVE time sink? The second school trial took about an hour and a half to finish, and that was with a bunch of fast-forwarding. Didn't want to put the game down halfway through an important story bit as it feels that would sort of make for a worse experience with my poor short term memory... But I've kinda' got a headache now from spending so much time reading text on a screen. @-@

So... I don't dislike the game. But are all nonstop debates such a MASSIVE time sink? The second school trial took about an hour and a half to finish, and that was with a bunch of fast-forwarding. Didn't want to put the game down halfway through an important story bit as it feels that would sort of make for a worse experience with my poor short term memory... But I've kinda' got a headache now from spending so much time reading text on a screen. @-@

Just take a break between investigation and the trials. That's what I do.

But yeah, most of the trials are pretty long, especially the last one.

ChrisD

What really surprises me is that this was a PSP game at first. That didn't really have a full-blown suspend option; not like the Vita's, anyways. Figure they would have broke the trials down a bit with that in mind.

But yeah, definitely taking a break after investigation next time.

DrkSage

So I started playing the Japanese version of the game with the fan translation update. So far Im really loving the game, its simply amazing. I've made the decision of buying a vita to get the official English version and also buy the 2 game.

Right now I'm in the last investigation but there's something bothering me from previous chapter and its the
messed up room with the blood. Why is the blood in that room red when the blood from all the murders have been pink?

So I started playing the Japanese version of the game with the fan translation update. So far Im really loving the game, its simply amazing. I've made the decision of buying a vita to get the official English version and also buy the 2 game.

Right now I'm in the last investigation but there's something bothering me from previous chapter and its the
messed up room with the blood. Why is the blood in that room red when the blood from all the murders have been pink?
It's not something that's actually explained,
probably though they decided to make it red in that case because it's "old" blood, to make the difference between that and the fresh blood more obvious. And also, to make the impact of going to the room stronger. It wouldn't have been as cool if it was pink (that also applies to the various murders but eh)

Gazoinks

Ch 5
xYPOcyG.gif

I feel like things are starting to get cleared up, but I still have no idea what's going on.
I wasn't surprised that it was being broadcast on TV, since that had been hinted at before, but it's still pretty creepy. Is it some kind of revenge for The Tragedy, making everyone depressed by showing some kids killing each other?

Man, that trial was intense. I predictably got the Kyoko ending first and yeah. Yikes. I keep thinking the murderer is going to be Byakuya because he always freaks out when he's questioned, but no he's just a dick.

So Chihiro's been killed off three times now. New record?

Lusankya

What really surprises me is that this was a PSP game at first. That didn't really have a full-blown suspend option; not like the Vita's, anyways. Figure they would have broke the trials down a bit with that in mind.

You can save anytime you want.

Grabbed it this week and finished chapter 1. Loving the game so far.
I thought one thing was weird though, when
rebuilding the scene with the comic book, after the panel where it shows the killer hitting Sayaka's wrist with the sword, wouldn't the logical follow-up be the panel that shows Sayaka dropping the knife? I thought that was weird.

upandaway

Grabbed it this week and finished chapter 1. Loving the game so far.
I thought one thing was weird though, when
rebuilding the scene with the comic book, after the panel where it shows the killer hitting Sayaka's wrist with the sword, wouldn't the logical follow-up be the panel that shows Sayaka dropping the knife? I thought that was weird.
I made that mistake too, but it's clear if
you click on the question mark to get a snippet of text (I assume they put that in because there's multiple possible solutions)

I made that mistake too, but it's clear if
you click on the question mark to get a snippet of text (I assume they put that in because there's multiple possible solutions)

Ended up not using the help so I don't know what it says, there was really only one alternative anyway but it just doesn't make sense for me that way.
The fact that she was disarmed by the killer is an important detail, why include it as an option and then omit it from the actual reenacting?

It's a minor gripe though, I just hope there aren't more inconsistencies like this.
Also,
Sayaka's message gave away the identity of the killer from the start which is kinda lame, of course you still have to build a case and prove that you're innocent but still... I'd rather have it remain a mistery a while longer, though it's interesting to observe his reactions during the whole thing while knowing that he is the killer. It's so obvious that the message says Leon that it's kinda weird to see the characters struggling so much to figure it out.
I have to admit that the way the whole thing played out caught me completely off guard though, Sayaka came up with quite an ingenious scheme.
Was shocked once I realized she was just using Makoto like that and even framing him for the murder to make sure she'd get away with it.
Nice twist.
Makes me look forward to what else the game has up its sleeve.

DrkSage

Just finished it and I must say I loved the game. Amazing experience from start to end. I never played a visual novel before because I thought I might not enjoy it, but I was wrong.

Well about that ending...
just when I thought everything was cleared and explained... Monokuma starts working again! All on his own? Or is someone controlling him?

Also I replayed
Mukuros Ikusabas case but this time I decided to call out Kirigiri and get the bad ending and holy crap I was shocked at what I saw. Who would have known that Hagakures prediction would come out true... Naegis and Hagakures son... Sharing the same mother.

It's not something
that's actually explained,
probably though they decided to make it red in that case because it's "old" blood, to make the difference between that and the fresh blood more obvious. And also, to make the impact of going to the room stronger. It wouldn't have been as cool if it was pink (that also applies to the various murders but eh)
Hmm, yea now that you mention it, they did say it was old. Makes sense.

Now I'm off to go watch the anime!

Gazoinks

Three? I recall 2...

Well...
Actual Chihiro dies. Than Alter Ego's laptop is destroyed, but he uploaded himself to the network and was promptly killed again. I count that as a third killing, because I interpreted it as Alter Ego uploading a clone to the network, not the original escaping.

I may be wrong though, I was a bit busy freaking out in that scene. :p

DrkSage

It's directed by Seiji Kishi. Good luck.

Just finished watching it. It was alright, rushed, but alright. They should have gone with 24 episodes Instead of compressing all it in 13 episodes :/ too much loss in important details.

Voice acting, the characters and the setting were good. Pacing? Bad, but at least I got to watch them animated! Haha.

Lunar15

Just finished. It was... okay? I think I enjoyed 999 and PW more, even though they're different things. I can appreciate all the things this game did though. The twists were cool, but I didn't like the ending.

Gazoinks

Ch 6 + Epilogue

So get this. On the final Non-stop Debate I finally discovered you can hold O to fast forward. Go me!

Anyways, finished up the game. Don't want to comment to much on the story till I've had a chance to let it sit and read the spoiler thread a bit.

I really enjoyed the game! Good story with lots of delicious twists, charming characters, good humor, great art (especially in the cutscenes). Mixed feelings on the gameplay. The Non-stop Debates were a really neat idea that was mostly pretty cool, but occasionally a little frustrating when I knew what I wanted to say but had to figure out how the game wanted it to be said. Also I wasn't crazy about having to use statements from the end of the debate at the beginning. Is Makoto in a time loop?

Hangman's Gambit was fine, but slightly tedious. The rhythm game thing whose name I forget was pretty weird, and the way the music cuts whenever the tempo changes is horrible, but delivering that final shot is really satisfying.

So yeah, great game! Looking forward to picking up the sequel on PSN in two days.

e: I do see what people were saying about the ending being a little unsatisfying, although I imagine #2 will help that out.
Still wish we'd learned a little more about what The Tragedy was, though.

Hangman's Gambit was fine, but slightly tedious. The rhythm game thing whose name I forget was pretty weird, and the way the music cuts whenever the tempo changes is horrible, but delivering that final shot is really satisfying.
I found that weird too, I always lost my rhythm after the final tempo change.

SHarris78

Its a shame I can't stand the way the mini-game stlye class-trials work, because if it weren't for that this game would be pretty much perfect. Don't think i've ever been 'sucked in' to game as much such I was a 'lil nipper, the story, characters, setting and atmosphere are incredible - and i've still got 8 people alive so much more to come!

Gazoinks

Oh also, I find it pretty funny that if you lose all your Influence (was that what it's called?) everyone votes Makoto even if it makes absolutely no sense. "He was wrong a couple of times! Ignore all previously established evidence, he is clearly the killer!".

Aiii

So not worth it
Oh my, even though the street date is the 5th I just got a confirmation mail that Danganronpa 2 is being posted today, coming in tomorrow! :D

Guys, I've played 999 and loved it but haven't played VLR yet. Just bought this one on sale so I wonder what would you recommend? Play this or VLR first?

Guys, I've played 999 and loved it but haven't played VLR yet. Just bought this one on sale so I wonder what would you recommend? Play this or VLR first?
Well, that's a tough one. On the other hand might as well finish the story you have started. Only the final part of the trilogy probably never will be released.

I like Danganronpa a little more than VLR personally tho. Toss a coin I'd say.

That's a difficult question. If you don't plan on buying DR2 soonish, you might as well play VLR first and then DR. If you were thinking of buying DR2 at launch you should hurry and play it now. I'm pretty sure that if you liked 999 you'll enjoy DR too.

Busaiku

Finally decided to restart this since I only played about an hour 2 months ago.
I decided to pick easy because I wasn't completely sure of the gameplay and since I got Goodbye Despair already, I wanna get into that.
I mean, I knew there was that Ace Attorney stuff and other adventure game elements, but given that I'd really only seen the gameplay of Another Episode, I thought there'd be shooting elements too. In any case, it wasn't until the end of Chapter 1 that I saw how horrible this was. Being spoonfed the answers makes it really no fun at all.
Unfortunately, since I can pretty much only play this during work breaks, I feel I'm already too invested now...
Oh well, at least I'll probably enjoy Goodbye Despair.

Gazoinks

I decided to pick easy because I wasn't completely sure of the gameplay and since I got Goodbye Despair already, I wanna get into that.
I mean, I knew there was that Ace Attorney stuff and other adventure game elements, but given that I'd really only seen the gameplay of Another Episode, I thought there'd be shooting elements too. In any case, it wasn't until the end of Chapter 1 that I saw how horrible this was. Being spoonfed the answers makes it really no fun at all.
Unfortunately, since I can pretty much only play this during work breaks, I feel I'm already too invested now...

I haven't done it myself, but I think you can change the difficulty if you use chapter select to restart a chapter and go from there. So maybe play to the end of the one you're on and then use chapter select to play from the next chapter?

LX_Theo

Banned

I'd also like to note that Chapter 1 on the original is really easy, if just because it was designed moreso for Japanese readers.

Some chapters seem obvious, but most are not. Keep going and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If not... well, I sort of doubt you'd enjoy Goodbye despair since its more of the same with improvements slapped on.

Busaiku

Most of my complaints are due to me picking it on easy so I can go through the game quicker.
Like loading the truth bullets for me, never having to deal with any of the stray thoughts, no Nega Time, and so on.

But I didn't like in chapter 2 where almost all of the investigation was literally hand holding.
I don't think that was due to me picking easy, but it might have been.

Can someone tell me how the court room stuff works. I started my first trial and I can't figure out the controls. I keep firing a truth bullet but nothing's happening.

Meier

I have been having a blast with this and just got to the first BTB. I am completely at a loss. I keep losing...not really sure what I'm doing wrong either. I'm keeping rhythm and got my combo to 50 or so but had 1.5 health at that point. What the heck...

Ahh I see, you X a good bit then hit Triangle.

I binged on this game all weekend and completed the story. Great stuff! Think my least favorite part is the rhythm game portion because I am terrible at rhythm games to begin with. I set everything to mean difficulty so that probably didn't help at ALL.

Started on the school mode extra and I completely suck at it though. After all this is done, I'll probably jump straight into DR2!

LiK

Its a shame I can't stand the way the mini-game stlye class-trials work, because if it weren't for that this game would be pretty much perfect. Don't think i've ever been 'sucked in' to game as much such I was a 'lil nipper, the story, characters, setting and atmosphere are incredible - and i've still got 8 people alive so much more to come!

Play Gentle if the trial mini games annoy you

Top Bottom