• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daniel Owen: How bad is 8GB of VRAM in 2024?

How much vram you have?

• 6GB

Votes: 22 7.1%
  • 8GB

Votes: 65 20.8%
  • 10GB

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • 12GB

Votes: 70 22.4%
  • 16GB or more

Votes: 128 41.0%

• Total voters

SoloCamo

I have an 8gb 2080, and it's starting to be a poor performer. I'm planning on buying a laptop some time later this year if I can save enough, and I was looking at 8gb 4060 machines. I can barely afford $1k for an 8 gig vram laptop, I'd never be able to afford $3000 for a laptop with 16gb vram.

I hate to be that guy but that's a side grade at best, and a downgrade depending on the wattage of that 4060 (depends on the laptop). 4060 is one of the worst price / performance cards made recently. Do you need a laptop? With a 1,000 or less budget just swapping your current 2080 to a better card will get you better results.

Techpowerup average results for 1080p and that's the desktop variant of the 4060, the laptop one is at minimum 10% slower.
WEHZAVY.png

Last edited:

raduque

I hate to be that guy but that's a side grade at best, and a downgrade depending on the wattage of that 4060 (depends on the laptop). 4060 is one of the worst price / performance cards made recently. Do you need a laptop? With a 1,000 or less budget just swapping your current 2080 to a better card will get you better results.

Techpowerup average results for 1080p and that's the desktop variant of the 4060, the laptop one is at minimum 10% slower.
WEHZAVY.png
Oh, I get it, but I can't game with a 35lb tower and 27" 1440 display in bed (main use case) or a hotel/staying at family's house. Also, my desktop is an 8700k now, as my AM4 board died.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It is
I have an 8gb 2080, and it's starting to be a poor performer. I'm planning on buying a laptop some time later this year if I can save enough, and I was looking at 8gb 4060 machines. I can barely afford $1k for an 8 gig vram laptop, I'd never be able to afford $3000 for a laptop with 16gb vram.
you fucked it all up using laptops

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
2060 Super 8GB holding up fine

I game in 4K with games from 2005-2015

2016-now I'm not interested in much but the few games I like I play in 1080p

Everything else (retro, ect.) I play on my CRT monitors

Hydroxy

No 4gb option in poll. I'm still on 4gb vram. Somehow still managed to play Horizon Forbidden West lol. 4gb cards like 1050Ti, 1650,3050,3050ti are still pretty popular as per steam hardware survey.

SoloCamo

I'm honestly surprised how well it still does. I'm not getting 4k60fps by any means but I can still play 2kish/30ish fps modern games with it.

Actually in hindsight I forgot there are two Titan X's... one from 2015 and the newer Titan X(pascal). If you've got the XP one that's definitely very usable to this day.

phant0m

my 3080 10 GB has been fine on everything @ 1440p save Diablo IV on Ultra.
No 4gb option in poll. I'm still on 4gb vram. Somehow still managed to play Horizon Forbidden West lol. 4gb cards like 1050Ti, 1650,3050,3050ti are still pretty popular as per steam hardware survey.
this forum is not a good place to discuss performance amongst the wider gaming community. half this forum will tell you anything less than 120 fps is unplayable

less than 16 GB of VRAM? trash. unusable, can't play games
1% low below 60 fps? unplayable, terrible performance

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The parity/VRAM pressure will be ramped up even further with PS5 Pro getting additional 1.2gb memory allocated to games. Choose your card wisely.

FateTrap

gctNtrU.png

Here you can see that even if I open an image viewer and a terminal, my VRAM usage is only 138 MB.
If I close the image viewer then the VRAM usage lowers to 135 MB. These seem like pretty good values for the Radeon RX 7600.

If I open a 3D shooter with outdated but decent graphics then I see 4xx MB of VRAM.
So I can play a fun 3D shooter with less than half of the typical windows10/11 users VRAM usage.

The most popular GPUs according to the steam hardware survey:
#1 RTX 3060 (has 8GB models)
#2 GTX 1650 (4GB VRAM)
#3 RTX 3060 Ti (has 8GB models)
#4 RTX 3070 (has 8GB models)
#5 RTX 4060 (has 8GB models)
#6 RTX 2060 (has 6GB models)
#7 RTX 4060 Laptop GPU
#8 GTX 1060 (has 6GB and 3GB models)
#9 RTX 3060 Laptop GPU

For 1080p gaming, 8GB is usually going to be enough for several more years.
Game developers can't even sell their game to the largest group of gamers otherwise.

Even 1080p gaming on 4GB VRAM GPUs still goes reasonably well if you are willing to tweak some settings or skip some games.

Nickolaidas

I bought a 4060Ti 8GB last year. I didn't know there was a 16GB model. Found out months later. And boy, do I regret it.

Games like FF7 Remake do not run well at ALL, because they need a lot of VRAM due to 'memory leaks'. Play more than 15 minutes and the game drops to 3 FPS at irregular intervals. If I manage to upgrade next year with the 50XX series, I'm going for 20 GB VRAM.

Never again.

boo

Gold Member
It makes me wonder how people managed to play games earlier without 16GB VRAM. Pong machine in the late 70s. Pacman on Commodore 64. Shadow of the beast on Amiga. Doom on PC. Super Mario 64 on Nintendo 64.

The real gamerz waited year after year, Can I play games with 16GB VRAM yet? No? Then I shall wait som more. I refuse to play games without 16GB VRAM.

Finally, after all these decades of waiting, real gamerz can start to play games.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Checked the video and while I agree buying a 8GB card in 2024 is a bad move, all the games tested at 1080p, some with slight tweaking, seemed fine.

Bojji

It's inexplicable to me how some channels become popular, his included, when there are so many other superior channels with lower numbers that never seem to grow.

He is better than 90% of tech youtubers with his knowledge and how he do tests, best thing: he does all this in his free time and he don't have much with bunch of kids and normal job.

He makes good content. And he knows how to explain things clearly, probably because he is also a math teacher.

Exactly.

He understands how things work, when game is cpu limited, when game is vram limited, gpu limited etc. He is better than most so called "tech experts" and his opinions are very reasonable.

It's inexplicable to me how some channels become popular, his included, when there are so many other superior channels with lower numbers that never seem to grow.
He does a good job comparing GPUs. Unlike most channels he tests a number of configuration for each game: different graphics settings, RTX on/off, image reconstruction on/off, frame gen etc. Plus commentary for each game.

That’s not to say the regular hardware channels are doing it wrong. They test a lot more cards and there a time limit to how much you can test and show. But Daniel fills a niche there.

Last edited:

Myths

He makes good content. And he knows how to explain things clearly, probably because he is also a math teacher.
This is the part I wish he would dig deeper in and apply in his vids more, would love to see some Calc and Linear Algebra applied to analyzing graphics and physics.

Agreed. He makes a lot of functional content, not just benchmarks. He goes back a revisits old cards and walks through the best settings for new releases and things like that, it can be a great cheat to save some time. zWORMz Gaming is another one like that.

Top Bottom