• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danny Boyles “28 YEARS LATER” was shot entirely on an iPhone 15 PRO. Makes it the largest movie ever shot on a phone.

Is that the first image from the movie? Because right off the bat it looks like a post pandemic UK that has at least somewhat rebuilt.

But I'm sure something goes wrong lol.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Is that the first image from the movie? Because right off the bat it looks like a post pandemic UK that has at least somewhat rebuilt.

But I'm sure something goes wrong lol.
No that just a mock up.

Here is the first (and I think only) photo from the actual set.

BGUS_2970142_012.jpg

You can see the iPhone 15 on the right - However, its on a whole entire rig. Its not like they just used a phone in their pocket to shoot the movie.

These marketing guys are frauds.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Doesn't seem like it subtracts much from other digital cameras like the Red one, it isn't like the camera processor and body are the issues these days versus the lenses.

Bet you could do a found footage horror flick with just cell phones these days, I'm sure some already have.

ZehDon

Boyle's been pushing digital photography in most of his films, so this feels like a very "Danny Boyle" thing to do. The digital photography stuff for Slumdog Millionaire was pretty great - let them get real experimental with it.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Iphones take really good daytime video. Nighttime video is no where near good enough for a movie. In Apple's defense even phones out there with better cameras don't do that great at night video. Unless this film is some kind of found footage sequel I don't know how they're going to pull off nighttime scenes with an iPhone.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Iphones take really good daytime video. Nighttime video is no where near good enough for a movie. In Apple's defense even phones out there with better cameras don't do that great at night video. Unless this film is some kind of found footage sequel I don't know how they're going to pull off nighttime scenes with an iPhone.
They have really expensive lenses, and the set is filled with high end big budget lighting on set, so the lackluster low light performance will be a non issue really.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
> we use an iPhone to film this movie
> need tens of thousands on extra equipment to get solid quality

Why
My guess would be that they're professional film makers who needed money and Apple want people to think their phone is a creator's device. That intersection created an opportunity.

And so, the filmmakers found a way to access Apple's money without compromising the production to a significantly detrimental level and in a way that Apple could then run some marketing without technically lying to the public.

If the film is good everyone wins, I guess.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Pretty insane.

Movie should look pretty “real” and gritty.

Don’t get it twisted though. Look at those lenses.

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor

Yeah the camera will record the image etc but the lenses will give it the right look with depth of field etc. I’m sure that lense above probably costs more than the camera.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
> we use an iPhone to film this movie
> need tens of thousands on extra equipment to get solid quality

Why
Lenses help with exposure. Focus, depth of field. Field of View Zoom etc they are precision made so expensive, add to that you need more than one lense as one can’t do it all

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
At first I thought, yeah that's a Danny Boyle move recalling 28 Days Later for some grit and realism. Then I saw it's attached to a 40k rig and at this point it's no different to shooting on any other digital format. But Apple will love this I guess.

Kadve

No that just a mock up.

Here is the first (and I think only) photo from the actual set.

BGUS_2970142_012.jpg

You can see the iPhone 15 on the right - However, its on a whole entire rig. Its not like they just used a phone in their pocket to shoot the movie.

These marketing guys are frauds.
Yea I mean. Hardcore being filmed entirely on a GoPRO was more impressive in that regard.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It looks like they're strapping a cinema lens on top of an iphone. But why? The iphone image sensor is tiny compared to a full-frame sensor and now the images they shoot will have to go through two different lens systems before they reach the sensor in the IPhone.

6BeastgripDOFAdapterMK3foriPhoneandAndroidphonescinematicSLRDSLRlensadapterforsmartphone_1296x.jpeg

Tm0KVxC.jpeg

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
28 Days Later is awful visually now since Boyle shot it on a 480p digital camera. But despite the tiny sensor, iPhones do shoot nice video. With that giant rig it'll probably be decent.
They actually used the PAL version of the Canon XL-1, which captured a 576p image. Makes me wish for a fullscreen PAL DVD so I can see the entirety of what they shot, with the full resolution and proper framerate :lollipop_squinting:
I like the cheap look :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Steven Soderbergh shot a couple movies on iPhones, Unsane and High Flying Bird. He frequently does his own cinematography, and likes to experiment. Unrelated, I've been shooting in 16mm.
7nEHTTT.png

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
They actually used the PAL version of the Canon XL-1, which captured a 576p image. Makes me wish for a fullscreen PAL DVD so I can see the entirety of what they shot, with the full resolution and proper framerate :lollipop_squinting:
I like the cheap look :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Steven Soderbergh shot a couple movies on iPhones, Unsane and High Flying Bird. He frequently does his own cinematography, and likes to experiment. Unrelated, I've been shooting in 16mm.
7nEHTTT.png
When I did my five seconds of research for the post I saw it claimed that the sensor resolution for the PAL version of the camera was still only 480p, don’t know if that’s accurate.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
When I did my five seconds of research for the post I saw it claimed that the sensor resolution for the PAL version of the camera was still only 480p, don’t know if that’s accurate.
I double-checked before posting and found it was similarly hard to confirm. However, it was shot on PAL MiniDV, which has a resolution of 720x576, so I assumed the camera must be using that resolution. Maybe it's possible they wouldn't though? But that'd surely screw up the production pipeline for PAL videographers.

The zombie film Rec was shot with an HD PAL camera, and the framerate was slowed to 23.976 when they printed the digital master on film (which was then scanned for home releases). There's a "Production Version" of the movie which is sourced straight from the digital master of the movie, and plays at 25fps. Neat stuff.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I love this man. I wish he had one more movie in him.
sadly it seems it will never happen, and we have the pandemic to blame

The story with those rumors a few years ago of working on a new series/movie with various codenames (eg. "Wisteria") is that when COVID hit, the plans were halted -- and then permanently ended since doctor's have advised Lynch that his level of lung health due to emphysema is too dangerous for him to catch any respiratory illnesses and survive, even now. So he announced not too long ago that he permanently is done with any kind of in-person work directing etc.

but at least we got the amazing Twin Peaks revival as his final work, amazing way to go out

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm out.

if you cant afford to buy a real camera for your movie, im not paying for it either. Wont stream it for free because my time is more precious than whatever money they saved.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
You do know the original movie was filmed on a cheap single camera, right? It's a stylistic/artistic choice based on that. I will admit that yeah "Shot on iPhone" is bullshit marketing but he's far from the only person to do stuff like this lol. Seems silly to not want to watch a movie because of that.
I'm still watching it. That rig gives me confidence it'll look acceptable

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
They are recording in RAW pro res, so the "iPhone" look will 100% not be present, as who ever is grading the movie will be using hard- and software you don't get on a phone.

Its so far away, with all the 50k of tech surrounding the phone, from "being shot on an iPhone", that I really don't know why even do it as its not just an iPhone for artistic purposes... Its a convoluted plot to make a bad sensor work, but that's like a filter plug in away from any digi cam that can actually pull focus on its own :/

This reeks of Apple funding half the movie for the tagline in the next conference.

(...)

Steven Soderbergh shot a couple movies on iPhones, Unsane and High Flying Bird. He frequently does his own cinematography, and likes to experiment. (...)
7nEHTTT.png
That shot looks really bad. And that's putting it mildly.

Last edited:

calistan

It looks like they're strapping a cinema lens on top of an iphone. But why? The iphone image sensor is tiny compared to a full-frame sensor and now the images they shoot will have to go through two different lens systems before they reach the sensor in the IPhone.
The concept of a ‘full frame’ sensor is not so relevant in cinema cameras. You get expensive epics shot in 70mm, indie films shot in 16mm, and all sorts of digital variants. Kind of depends on the look the director is going for, as well as the budget of the production.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
They are recording in RAW pro res, so the "iPhone" look will 100% not be present, as who ever is grading the movie will be using hard- and software you don't get on a phone.

Its so far away, with all the 50k of tech surrounding the phone, from "being shot on an iPhone", that I really don't know why even do it as its not just an iPhone for artistic purposes... Its a convoluted plot to make a bad sensor work, but that's like a filter plug in away from any digi cam that can actually pull focus on its own :/

This reeks of Apple funding half the movie for the tagline in the next conference.

That shot looks really bad. And that's putting it mildly.
Totally off topic but my phone can take photos in jpg, raw and super raw. Video can be shot up to 8k @24fps. What the hell is super raw?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

despite Lynch hating watching films on cheap devices, he wasn't opposed to filming them that way

Inland Empire was shot on a cheap consumer digital film camera. Instead of hiding that or reducing its effect, Lynch let the digital artifacting, sharp edges, white/black saturation etc be part of the unsettling feeling of the film.

It actually fits with Lynch's "demonically possessed electricity" theme and use of cheap technologies as a source of fear in his work.

So it might make sense for the zombie movie too, if used well.

Top Bottom