• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danny Boyles “28 YEARS LATER” was shot entirely on an iPhone 15 PRO. Makes it the largest movie ever shot on a phone.

Tams

If you're going to attach it to rigs like that, why?

Just use a normal, decent camera.

If budget is the concern and hiring Alexas or REDs is too much, Sony have great choice and Blackmagic very good cheap cameras.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

That violence and gore thread just made me think of one of the opening scenes in the Sequel where they have the zombie strapped down. I just remember it being super gory and a little unsettling.

I'll have to rewatch it.

I love how they are sticking with the 28 _____ Later sequence

28 Days Later
28 Months Later
28 Years Later

28 Decades Later might be cool, but I think futuristic zombie fiction is something that isn't really explored so 28 Centuries Later might be quietly the best one someday

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

28 Days Later
28 Months Later
28 Years Later

28 Decades Later might be cool, but I think futuristic zombie fiction is something that isn't really explored so 28 Centuries Later might be quietly the best one someday

Unfortunately 28 Years Later was announced as a trilogy, with the followup to 28 Years Later being called "28 Years Later Part II: The Bone Temple". Absolutely terrible name IMO.

Melon Husk

Oh, a callback to the 480p camcorder he used in the first one. The London scenes were shot guerilla style IIRC. With that big rig, shooting won't be anything the first one. Only the final scene was shot on film. Will we even notice this new one is shot on an iPhone? I doubt it.

Unfortunately 28 Years Later was announced as a trilogy, with the followup to 28 Years Later being called "28 Years Later Part II: The Bone Temple". Absolutely terrible name IMO.
I thought you were joking, wow

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Oh, a callback to the 480p camcorder he used in the first one. The London scenes were shot guerilla style IIRC. With that big rig, shooting won't be anything the first one. Only the final scene was shot on film. Will we even notice this new one is shot on an iPhone? I doubt it.
I wonder if apple tried to get him to have a few "Accidental" message notifications pop up so audiences would know :p

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I wonder if apple tried to get him to have a few "Accidental" message notifications pop up so audiences would know :p
Maybe they'll have a scene where he gets a green bubble txt on his iPhone XXVIII he throws it to the ground in disgust then a swarm of zombies attack him and he gets eviscerated because his phone is smashed to bits and couldn't call for help.

Puscifer

No that just a mock up.

Here is the first (and I think only) photo from the actual set.

BGUS_2970142_012.jpg

You can see the iPhone 15 on the right - However, its on a whole entire rig. Its not like they just used a phone in their pocket to shoot the movie.

These marketing guys are frauds.
Sounds like that movie I love, tangerine. Yes it was on 3 iPhones, but 3 iPhones with a ton of gimbles and equipment

Z O N E

What’s even worse is “28 Years Later Part II: The Bone Temple“ will be directed by Nia DaCosta of “The Marvels”

Well, we know Part 2 will flop now...

She went from making a movie funded through Kickstarter and raising about $5000, to then making the Candyman 2021 spiritual sequel with Jordan Peele to then making "The Marvels".

I've never seen someone rise so far up the ladder career wise as quick as she did. Shit has to be a record.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, we know Part 2 will flop now...

She went from making a movie funded through Kickstarter and raising about $5000, to then making the Candyman 2021 spiritual sequel with Jordan Peele to then making "The Marvels".

I've never seen someone rise so far up the ladder career wise as quick as she did. Shit has to be a record.
To be fair Spielberg only had 1-2 movie credits before Jaws (and a fair amount if TV) so it's not like you can really predict where folks will go, bit yeah, this lady ain't Spielberg.

Z O N E

To be fair Spielberg only had 1-2 movie credits before Jaws (and a fair amount if TV) so it's not like you can really predict where folks will go, bit yeah, this lady ain't Spielberg.

I mean, he already had A LOT of stuff under his name before being given the Jaws chance and Jaws wasn't some big household name for the novel compared to the movie.

The Marvels on the otherhand is literally a big ass IP. Lol

Trilobit

I hope the sequel captures the tension of the intro sequence in 28 Weeks Later. I rewatched 28 Days Later and was surprised to see how campy it was. But that intro sequence was insanely scary.

28 Days Later
28 Months Later
28 Years Later

It was 28 Weeks Later. They skipped the months, sadly.

RaduN

....yeah, with a 100k $ + lens attached 🤣
They could have used any smartphone from the past 5 years or so, that has a good video rec bit rate and hdr.

ShadowNate

I watched 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later back to back a few days ago, and while the first one still is a great movie (bad quality of filming aside), the second one is ...oof... a very frustrating experience.

But I never did like the abuse of the shaky camera filming and that film goes to town with it and then some, for minutes at a time. It can get to "movie ruined" levels for me.

And then also there were the complete idiot characters and the tired genre tropes throughout the plot. The opening sequence was cool though. And the introduction of the island where the rebuilding was happening. It prepared the viewer for a much greater experience before taking a nose dive as soon as "the kids do something incredibly stupid and they get away with it" nonsense is employed.

I hope this new one does something more interesting.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Damn. I remember like a decade ago two film directors got into a Twitter fight because one asked the other "So, was this shot on the 6 or 6 Pro?".

And now here we are.

Top Bottom