• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Ruuppa

Are there any hints or help for this area other than "equip a magic resistant shield" and "roll like an acrobat having a seizure"?

Aside from what has already been said, if you're a mage/cleric, bring Binoculars. With proper stats, a Great Lightning Spear kills the casters in one.

The most difficult part using this strategy is the final section of the second area, where there's two melee guys and a spellcaster clumped together. The melee duo will aggro the instant you attack them and it can be difficult to hit them at range, so you need a tactic to take them down two-on-one. Keep in mind that they will outrun you in the shallow water, so it's advised to aggro them in an area that's out of the water..

I never had much trouble in that part for some reason. If you kill the caster near to the ramp first you won't aggro the meleeguys, and if you then kill the remaining caster fast enough, you'll only have melee to deal with for that part. Obviously different in NG+, but still.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
In addition to the good advice above, keep in mind that you can roll while scoped with your bow, which helps when you're trying to efficiently poison an enemy. In the shrine, the enemies typically take 4 poison arrows, and you can get at least 2 if not 3 off before their projectile gets close, then roll and get the last arrow in.

Ruuppa

That's why the word music is in quotation marks

Done with the shitty place so whatever tho

I want to invade people but getting red eye orbs is such a pain in the ass

Sentinels are a lot easier, just farm the Old Knights in Heide. Less repercussions for invasions as well.

Gbraga

ifiP8pNxLWDrf.jpg

iSzbA8rMkBOBI.jpg

ibe9OLhhHAfLyO.jpg

RIP in peace, Chloanne

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, I killed them like 10 times and only got one.
It really is something that needs a lot of item boosting gear to make worth while but it is a much easier source than most. Unless you want to ascetic soldiers rest again and again.

Told you it would look good Gbraga.

and the deep water can be in in unexpected spots.

Yes.

This was my major issue. You really need a torch and need to move slowly, but you also need to keep your head up to not get mage-sniped. Both are equally important. I rolled trying to avoid a mage missile and rolled off into oblivion, right in the middle of the level too.

Haunted

So my first invasion on my new character went super smoothly:

http://a.pomf.se/xplguu.webm

Phantom range at it's finest, folks!
Real talk, with all the praise for the combat system stemming from its exact hitboxes and tight control, I don't know how anyone can play the game PvP. It's been an inaccurate lagfest for me pretty much every time. I could adjust and deal with it (I mean, I have to when I'm getting invaded), but there's pretty much no fun for me to be had there.

PvE and coop all the way for me.

Ruuppa

Real talk, with all the praise for the combat system stemming from its exact hitboxes and tight control, I don't know how anyone can play the game PvP. It's been an inaccurate lagfest for me pretty much every time. I could adjust and deal with it, but there's no fun for me to be had there.

PvE and coop all the way for me.

It's not as if the PVE hitboxes are any better though.. Just try punching Velstadt.

Edit: Miles better than PVP "ghost hits" though.

Dyno

Castle Drangleic - Shrine of Amana - King's Passage - Undead Crypt

For me this is when the game really started to feel like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Great areas, amazing atmosphere, lots of secrets and treasures, tough enemies - I just loved it all!

Regarding catalysts - I use a lot of sorceries and so was using the Archdrake Staff for a lot of the game. It seemed to be a mid-tier weapon with B in sorcery and hexes. After finding the Sunset Staff I thought I would use it but unless I'm wrong it seems slower and not as good in a tight space.

I was actually impressed that the catalysts are balanced just like weapons are. With that discovered I went back to the Archdrake and finished upgrading it to Magic +10. It's just a beastly staff now that does a ton of damage and has A in sorcery and hexes.

I've read how there is 'the best' this and that but it really comes down to what you like best, what suits your play-style, and what you like to see in a weapon.

aravuus

About CoC, if I join it earlier in the game and leave it after getting it to rank 3, will everything go back to 'normal'? As in, enemies aren't as strong as they were anymore and I get the ability to summon people

Ruuppa

Is there any way to get Archdrake Chime without wasting 8 points into int?

I need a decent chime to upgrade for for lightning spear.

Priest's Chime is an excellent straight upgrade from Cleric's Chime, aside from a slightly slower cast-time.

About CoC, if I join it earlier in the game and leave it after getting it to rank 3, will everything go back to 'normal'? As in, enemies aren't as strong as they were anymore and I get the ability to summon people

Yes.

I actually really enjoy the basic level design of Dark Souls 2, but I do miss the interconnectivity and 'realism' that Dark Souls 1's levels had - especially that feeling you could get when you looking down or up, far into the distance, and are able to say "I was there."

I really hope Dark Souls 3 manages to combine the good elements of both Dark Souls games a bit more successfully, though if I had to choose between one of them it would definitely be Dark Souls 2's level design - function over form.

I never had much trouble in that part for some reason. If you kill the caster near to the ramp first you won't aggro the meleeguys, and if you then kill the remaining caster fast enough, you'll only have melee to deal with for that part. Obviously different in NG+, but still.

That cleric spellcaster is the worst if you're trying to melee them up close, because he will constantly heal them while the other two brutalize you.

Yes.

This was my major issue. You really need a torch and need to move slowly, but you also need to keep your head up to not get mage-sniped. Both are equally important. I rolled trying to avoid a mage missile and rolled off into oblivion, right in the middle of the level too.

One good tip, generally, is that any little spots with ground or structures sticking out of the water will signify a shallow pool instead of a bottomless abyss, and the shortest route between where you are and where it is will (generally) be safe to traverse. Of course, there will be a few spots where they twist this expectation around, but it will hold true more often than not.

I've been playing offline for the past few weeks, my PS3 isn't even connected to the internet.

Just now, I started the game, and by accident hit "sign in" instead of offline mode. Of course, the game can't sign in since not only am I not signed into PSN, my PS3 isn't even connected to the internet at present. It gave me a sign in fail sign, then I selected offline... and then I got the "you are banned from multiplayer" message. So it looks like there is something in the "game logic" that picks up on network activity, and it is programmed poorly, such that a sign in failure counts as a disconnect. It's definitely not something FROM is monitoring, since my PS3 is offline and has been for several weeks. Not surprising given the other areas that the "B Team" failed on.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I feel like I'm overpowered because bosses drop like flies. But at the same time, the Rotten one hit killed me a couple of times. But I can't wait to give it another run through in NG+. PC dudes, is NG+ as active as NG?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I've been playing offline for the past few weeks, my PS3 isn't even connected to the internet.

Just now, I started the game, and by accident hit "sign in" instead of offline mode. Of course, the game can't sign in since not only am I not signed into PSN, my PS3 isn't even connected to the internet at present. It gave me a sign in fail sign, then I selected offline... and then I got the "you are banned from multiplayer" message. So it looks like there is something in the "game logic" that picks up on network activity, and it is programmed poorly, such that a sign in failure counts as a disconnect. It's definitely not something FROM is monitoring, since my PS3 is offline and has been for several weeks. Not surprising given the other areas that the "B Team" failed on.
Just use a Bone of Order when you want to play online again and you'll be fine.

mikeybass

Neo Member
Any weapon recommendations for the Shrine of Amana? I'm still rocking the mace I was given for choosing Cleric. Albeit it's now a +10 Lightning Mace. Nothing else seems to touch it comparatively.

Priest's Chime is an excellent straight upgrade from Cleric's Chime, aside from a slightly slower cast-time.

Oh right, somehow I missed that one, it's great, thanks a lot.

You can use Soul Vessels to reconfig your stats, get the staff and then change the stats back.

I only have one of those atm, don't really want to waste it.

No that's the only way to get it by buying it from Felkin.

Skeen, thanks.

Totally forgot about this till a second ago but go kill Grandahl for the dragon charm he drops it. So no need to do a whole covenant for it.

Yeah I plan on getting that once I get a high enough faith, only at 22 at level 100 so far, I'll be spamming faith though so I'll get it eventually.

And and before you guys think I want to be a lightning spamming scumbag or something, I'm only using it for when people run or heal, Having tons of fun with my double lightning bandit axes atm.

aravuus

Any weapon recommendations for the Shrine of Amana? I'm still rocking the mace I was given for choosing Cleric. Albeit it's now a +10 Lightning Mace. Nothing else seems to touch it comparatively.

I'm still mainly using the Mace, why in the fuck haven't I imbued it with lightning

Time to go do it right away I think

BadWolf

A bow will make that area very easy.

Lots of places to hide behind and snipe from.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah I plan on getting that once I get a high enough faith, only at 22 at level 100 so far, I'll be spamming faith though so I'll get it eventually.
It's well worth the investement really if your chucking lightning around.
How much of a penalty is being a wretch anyway? All you have to do is go human to avoid it.
It isn't just use a ring of binding if you don't care about dieing to limit HP drop or use a ring of life protection to prevent it from ever being an issue.

Levito

Banned
Finished the game last night, absolutely enthralled the entire time. Truly believe this series is everything videogames should strive to be. Can't think of many games with gameplay this fantastic as well as story this engrossing.

My only big complaint is I found too many of the bosses were easy. There was a string where I killed five in a row without dying. Found that for the most part the regular enemies killed me *way* more than any of the bosses.

The bosses that DID give me trouble were fucking insane though.
The Pursuer
Rat Authority
, and
Ancient Dragon

Minamu

Ugh, trying to do a no bonfire run finally. No deaths is long gone, I'm playing online and invaders kill me so easily these days :/ But I'm almost at the OIK already, skipped all of the forest and made a run for the first fragrant branch of yore in the harvest valley. But I still need my 2M to open the Shrine door, so I'm trying to do the grand Soul bosses anyway. Got some tips from here on my path:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/23gr1g/no_bonfire_run_quick_tips/

That's the Milfanito singing to make the little ones(fireflies) dance to calm down the Lizardmen so that they don't attack you.

Oh, is that what they were talking about? Interesting.

I was wondering why the lizardmen seem so passive and I guess this explains it.

...And speaking of fireflies, has anyone ever found themselves needing a consumable that they didn't have? I'm drowning in all kinds of consumables because I've rarely found occasions where they feel necessary. I think I currently have, for example, 20 human effigies and over an hour and a half of torch time, right now.

aravuus

...And speaking of fireflies, has anyone ever found themselves needing a consumable that they didn't have? I'm drowning in all kinds of consumables because I've rarely found occasions where they feel necessary. I think I currently have, for example, 20 human effigies and over an hour and a half of torch time, right now.

Same here, though it's more likely due to my tendency to hoard shit rather than not needing all those items. I haven't, for example, used any herbs at all. If I run out of miracles midway through an area or a boss, I just man up and start smashing shit with my Mace.

Levito

Banned
Has anyone on PC run into any hackers? I know Dark Souls 1 on PC had a lot of trouble with them.

PVP is a total blast, fairly simple mechanics but hell if it isn't immensely satisfying slapping the shit outta invaders.

Ruuppa

Has anyone on PC run into any hackers? I know Dark Souls 1 on PC had a lot of trouble with them.

PVP is a total blast, fairly simple mechanics but hell if it isn't immensely satisfying slapping the shit outta invaders.

About every 15th player I meet in PVP is a hacker. Some are obvious with infinite health, while others "just" use infinite stamina/equip weight/items. Infinite Elizabeth Mushrooms seem to be a trend with hackers, since you can conceivably farm those legitimately.

Aurongel

I don't really follow the DS2 community that much as I just started the game last week (my first Souls game btw). But is the general consensus that the Shrine of Amana is the worst designed level in the entire game? I'm serious, people gush over the fairness and level design present in the Souls game yet DS2's idea of upping the difficulty is minimizing the capabilities of the player. It's incredibly lazy design and it's really no different from the similarly frustrating levels from games that came out 10+ years ago. Iron Keep is another winner too, requiring you to traverse through Belfry Sol just to mount over a 3 ft tall edge. What's the point of that? Belfry is so large you can just sprint past all the shadow midgets anyway so why waste my time?

Maybe I just can't see the grand design of the entire game or something but I haven't the faintest idea of how anyone can praise the level design in this game when it so often reaches for the least creative reasons imaginable to provide challenge for the player.

Ruuppa

I don't really follow the DS2 community that much as I just started the game last week (my first Souls game btw). But is the general consensus that the Shrine of Amana is the worst designed level in the entire game? I'm serious, people gush over the fairness and level design present in the Souls game yet DS2's idea of upping the difficulty is minimizing the capabilities of the player. It's incredibly lazy design and it's really no different from the similarly frustrating levels from games that came out 10+ years ago. Iron Keep is another winner too, requiring you to traverse through Belfry Sol just to mount over a 3 ft tall edge. What's the point of that? Belfry is so large you can just sprint past all the shadow midgets anyway so why waste my time?

Maybe I just can't see the grand design of the entire game or something but I haven't the faintest idea of how anyone can praise the level design in this game when it so often reaches for the least creative reasons imaginable to provide challenge for the player.

The level design of DkS2 is a lot lazier than DkS1, due to the fact that bonfire teleporting is a thing right from the start. This means there are a lot less shortcut loops and clever routes to other areas present.

And yes, Amana is mediocre and annoying. Nice ambience, but ehn gameplay-wise. I think that the Iron Keep - Belfry Sol bonfire is a somewhat clever trap by the devs.

Top Bottom