• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
My mind is full of fu** with the stats of this game.

So i've decided to use greatswords and i hace these maximiced

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Old+Knight+Greatsword#.U3qP_Pl_vuM

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Black+Dragon+Greatsword#.U3qSK_l_vuM

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Drangleic+Sword#.U3qSQPl_vuM

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Bastard+Sword#.U3qSTPl_vuM

Black Dragon Greatsword is shit, because it doesn't scale, in theory, Drangleic sword is better than Bastard sword but i'm doing more damage with bastard sword than Drangleic...

Old Knight greatsword in theory should be my best option but, again, bastard sword makes more damage i think.

My build by now is 35 strength and 25 dexterity
Your Bastard scales C/C where as the Old Knight is A/E if your dex is higher like that it will be your best option as it gets better scaling hence better damage. But without exact numbers it is hard to say is this is actually the case. But your best bets for greatswords are the Claymore and Mastodon.

seph1roth

Your Bastard scales C/C where as the Old Knight is A/E if your dex is higher like that it will be your best option as it gets better scaling hence better damage. But without exact numbers it is hard to say is this is actually the case. But your best bets for greatswords are the Claymore and Mastodon.

But it sacles an A with strengh and i have more strength than dexterity, even with all of that my bastard scales better than old knight and deals more damage?

So, Claymore and Mastodon are the best options, i preffer Claymore, it has a minor impact on my weight

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You know how the back of the monument in Majula says that the letters are too worn out to read?

Well, apparently that's not universal. If you're playing the game in Portuguese (which actually got a translation added in later than the rest) the back of the monument says

Os gigantes cruzaram os mares, talvez para voltar para casa

which roughly translates to

The giants crossed the seas, perhaps to return home

2f9LQrU.jpg

Mistel

Banned
But it sacles an A with strengh and i have more strength than dexterity, even with all of that my bastard scales better than old knight and deals more damage?

So, Claymore and Mastodon are the best options, i preffer Claymore, it has a minor impact on my weight
Wikidot says that it's B/E for the Old knight. Technically strength wise a bastard scales worse but I assume the difference between C and E scaling puts the Bastard on top. The numbers are a mess really.

Well if you prefer it go with the Claymore but if you ever decide to go STR focused do pick up a mastodon it's very worth it.

BadWolf

You know how the back of the monument in Majula says that the letters are too worn out to read?

Well, apparently that's not universal. If you're playing the game in Portuguese (which actually got a translation added in later than the rest) the back of the monument says

Thanks for posting, pretty cool.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

2f9LQrU.jpg
Huh, that's... weird.

seph1roth

Wikidot says that it's B/E for the Old knight. Technically strength wise a bastard scales worse but I assume the difference between C and E scaling puts the Bastard on top. The numbers are a mess really.

Well if you prefer it go with the Claymore but if you ever decide to go STR focused do pick up a mastodon it's very worth it.

My old knight has A/E reinforced

1024x576.resizedimage

btw i reinforced Zweihander +10, for an ultra greatsword i think is great because it has a low impact on my weight for that kind of swords. And destroys...

Mistel

Banned
My old knight has A/E reinforced

1024x576.resizedimage

btw i reinforced Zweihander +10, for an ultra greatsword i think is great because it has a low impact on my weight for that kind of swords. And destroys...
I'll fix that in a second then on wikidot. Zwei has one of the better ultra greatsword movesets very versatile.

Did you know you could jump from this point and get right back to the start of Drangelic castle? Thanks Grief.exe for the screenshot.

zkylon

zkylewd

2f9LQrU.jpg

that's crazy

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I wonder how many stats im compromising because i refuse to not be fabulous. #FashionSouls. I may win..i may lose..but Im beautiful doing it.

GorillaJu

Instead of taking my Dex/Fth character into NG+ I decided to get a fresh start now that I understand the game much better mechanically and be able to get a better soul memory : soul level ratio by not getting careless about unrecovered bloodstains. I'm also doing co-op/NPC summons this time around, as I wanted to complete the game solo my first time through and in finding it to be mega super easy-mode.

This time I'm gonna try a Hexing build with STR as my main melee stat instead of Dex. Any recommendations for early gear acquisitions?

Is anyone able to recommend a good walk through I can watch and not some idiot missing a bunch of shit? I highly doubt I could have made it through the first game w/o a good walk through.

maomaoIYP

Black Dragon Greatsword is shit, because it doesn't scale, in theory, Drangleic sword is better than Bastard sword but i'm doing more damage with bastard sword than Drangleic...

Black Dragon Greatsword is anywhere far from shit: it has the highest base damage and the longest length of all greatswords. The length alone already makes it my favourite (by far) of all greatwords. The only other greatsword which has the same length is moonlight greatsword, but since its nerf MLGS is slower, uses more stamina and cannot be buffed.

Jeeez. Binoboosting they're calling it lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAe442j4eB8&list=UUKeNSUXShp3Lm5eN41_ZgOA.

Fun for speed running. I might use it just to freak people out in pvp but not to get an advantage, don't want to get reported as a hacker :p. What a weird glitch

Holy shit. This shit will be so fucking nasty in PvP, as if monastery roll parrying wasn't nasty enough.

seph1roth

One last question, if i've defeated a boss and then i put my summon sign on the floor i can be summoned to another world or my fog must be "active"? i mean, if i need the boss is not dead in my world.

While in Drangleic Castle, I noticed that the warp destinations at the bonfire started showing places I hadn't been too. They are kind of faded out though, and the locations just say "???". But it seems to show me how many bonfires are in each area.

Is this normal, or a glitch?

(And I quite enjoyed Drangleic Castle, by the way.)

VaatiVidyas new lore video is excellent.

Can't wait to watch these. I think I want to beat the game at least twice and form some of my own opinions about the lore until I start diving into other people's. But Vaati's DS1 lore videos were fantastic, so looking forward to what he has for DS2.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
One last question, if i've defeated a boss and then i put my summon sign on the floor i can be summoned to another world or my fog must be "active"? i mean, if i need the boss is not dead in my world.

Doesn't need to be active. You can be summoned anywhere at any point by anyone within your SM range.

While in Drangleic Castle, I noticed that the warp destinations at the bonfire started showing places I hadn't been too. They are kind of faded out though, and the locations just say "???". But it seems to show me how many bonfires are in each area.

Is this normal, or a glitch?

(And I quite enjoyed Drangleic Castle, by the way.)

Normal

HoosTrax

My mind is full of fu** with the stats of this game.

So i've decided to use greatswords and i hace these maximiced

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Old+Knight+Greatsword#.U3qP_Pl_vuM

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Black+Dragon+Greatsword#.U3qSK_l_vuM

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Drangleic+Sword#.U3qSQPl_vuM

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Bastard+Sword#.U3qSTPl_vuM

Old Knight greatsword in theory should be my best option but, again, bastard sword makes more damage i think.

My build by now is 35 strength and 25 dexterity
Don't ignore weight - Old Knight, Mastodon, and Gyrm gear is typically very heavy for their class. Could mean the difference between fat-rolling and fast-rolling.

I don't really have any input as to those specific greatswords, but I have to say, my favorites GS's are the Black Knight Greatsword (Fire infusion) and Defender Greatsword (Lightning infusion). I feel like those weapons that have innate type bonuses, like these two, lose less physical damage when infused.

neoism

SECOND BOSS to almost give me a heart attack @_____@

get invaded twice in a row and solo the Belfry Gargoyle Boss WOOOW first boss to solo so far sl101 FAITH <3 I love this game

Mistel

Banned
hah, in true souls fashion you get dumped right into things bextwit

got killed by the ogre already. turns out great scythe +10 is pretty garbage lol
We'll at least falconeers didn't kill you I suppose. Did you upgrade anything else or is that just it?

BadWolf

Is anyone able to recommend a good walk through I can watch and not some idiot missing a bunch of shit? I highly doubt I could have made it through the first game w/o a good walk through.

Check out EpicNameBro on youtube, his playthroughs are always fantastic.

At least try playing on your own first though, you will enjoy the game a lot more that way.

VaatiVidyas new lore video is excellent.

So good, can't wait for more.

I've done a few PVPs recently and it seems like the hitbox for some of these weapons is ridiculous.

It's not the hit box, it's the lag.

I call it the "Phantom zone", and it's fucking horrible when it comes to greatswords.

I haven't confirmed it yet, but I think the only way to combat it is to get really high agility to get more i-frames. That way you can survive the phantom zone when you dodge.

2AdEPT

Mine is more of a let's play (semi-blind)...but I dont miss much....and if I do, I go back to find it and link to the new video in the recordings......and the final boss battles are pretty good tutorials on how to beat them melee, as a dex character, with no shield. (ENB is ok for lore etc. but he always turtles up, and purposely doesn't spoil the best stuff to make you learn to do it yourself......so if you want to get everything, his is not the best.) For example, he does not get one of the best light armours in the game despite that it is possible right away in Majula.

I also did a semi tutorial on how to build a hex character.

It's not the hit box, it's the lag.

I call it the "Phantom zone", and it's fucking horrible when it comes to greatswords.

I haven't confirmed it yet, but I think the only way to combat it is to get really high agility to get more i-frames. That way you can survive the phantom zone when you dodge.

Ah ok.

I haven't used hexes at all. What's t he one I see in PVP a lot that basically knocks 90% of my HP off?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
so the Memories section. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?
Cool idea, meh implementation. To be fair though, there isn't much there to see. I think it was their way of hiding that as well as keeping people from completely cheesing the enemies with poison arrows.

zkylon

zkylewd
We'll at least falconeers didn't kill you I suppose. Did you upgrade anything else or is that just it?

got a +10 espada ropera to try and power stance it with my rapier and cashed in all my soul items and stocked up on upgrade items.

also infused another rapier with lighting and made it +10. i'm guessing it's gonna be better since i'm 40 dex 40 faith.

imma probably dump some points into strength so i can wield some other weapons, still got two soul vessels left.

might push a bit further with my mage character too. never played a mage in a souls game, or a tank either.

Cool idea, meh implementation. To be fair though, there isn't much there to see. I think it was their way of hiding that as well as keeping people from completely cheesing the enemies with poison arrows.
yeah it's not that bad but it's still pretty terrible

also i'm still confused why people say the game gets better after drangleic, all my favorite locations are come before: iron keep, earthen keep, lost bastille, forest of fallen giants...

maomaoIYP

turns out great scythe +10 is pretty garbage lol
The new moveset is really lacking. The reaper class of weapons all have the same problem as halberds, for max damage you need to hit stuff with the tip. But due to the odd moveset this is way harder to do than halberds.

Any advice on applying elements to weapons?

Infuse with whatever elemental you like (or can scale with based on your stats) unless the weapon already has an element. In that case, infuse with that element.
Then apply a buff of the element that you infused for a large damage boost.

I tried that first and ran out of time. Then i tried fighting a few and ran out of time. So then I just fucking ran.

That worked. Pretty bad implementation.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Wow that binocular speed trick really works. Invader was standing between me and the LGK area and I just ran past him and entered the fog gate at light speed. Would have loved to see his face LOL

zkylon

zkylewd
The new moveset is really lacking. The reaper class of weapons all have the same problem as halberds, for max damage you need to hit stuff with the tip. But due to the odd moveset this is way harder to do than halberds.

yeah, there's nothing like my dear lifehunt scythe in dks2 unfortunately

also started using durantemod for this new playthrough but i may have to turn it off. it's not really too big a performance hit but it's there and it annoys me

From the EDGE review...

This late-game rug-pull pivots around a single moment in which not a sword is swung nor a word is spoken. It’s a remarkable scene that serves to remind you what FromSoftware does better than any studio in the world – finding beauty in the darkness and majesty in the grotesque.

That's referring to
Vendrick in the Crypt
, right?

I don't know if it was because I reached that point at the most "un-Dark Souls" time of day (midday), or because I felt that the game was dragging a little by then, but I didn't find it that remarkable. It was very cool and eerie, but it didn't give me feels akin to those yielded by the tonal juxtapositions in the Gwyn and Astraea encounters (largely due to the musical score, I'm sure).

dreamfall

I'm not sure if I'm ready for NG+ yet!

I just kind of enjoy wandering and clearing out enemies in peace before suffering again.

I really liked the first playthrough, although I felt like it wasn't as strong as Demon's or Dark Souls 1. Still, absolutely wonderful.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Ghost23

Ok so I have a fire zweihander +10 now with flame weapon. What kind of build should I be looking at the maximize this? Right now I have way to much STR (45) but I haven't completed the game yet so I'm not to worried about it.

Also, what shield should I use?

Top Bottom