• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Heide's isn't skippable. Need Licia to get to the Copse.
You can skip it if you just go through the Shrine of Winter with 1 million SM.

But if you want to get all the old souls, then yeah I forgot you do need it.

aravuus

And done! Miracle-hurling, mace-swinging red-headed YourDreamGirl has reached the end of her journey. Probably. Unless I want to do NG+ later, I guess. This game is just so awesome.

Anyway, right onto the next playthrough. So yeah, gonna go dual caestus, I assume pyromancy is the best form of ranged I could pair up with it?

Why is that? You shouldn't be expected to pick up a whole different type of combat to traverse a single area.

It's for more than a single area as there are a handful of situations where pure melee is the worst tactic to use. I think this is fine, because the game is designed in understanding of this - it is not unfair or unexpected. Just think about how the attributes are designed... Basically, there is nothing unexpected about using ranged attacks; I don't know whether you are doing this intentionally or not, but you seem to be limiting yourself because of an artifical restriction you've played upon character.

The truth of the matter is, if you're using a strength-based build you have access to crossbows, if you're a dexterity-based build you have access to bows, and if you're a spellcaster of any type you have access to a multitude of ranged attacks. While these ranged attacks may not be very strong, they will at least aggro the enemy to you from a distant.

Keep in mind that these ranged weapons can also be upgraded. While the resources to upgrade weapons are uncommon they are not overly difficult to find across your journey, so it is highly recommended to improve more than one weapon. Also, upgrading a non-primary weapon is in no way redundant or pointless - an extra strike weapon, infused weapon, or ranged weapon can make a huge difference against certain foes.

This sort of adaptability is what I am talking about - being prepared for any situation. I think that's a big reason why they added the invasion mechanic. Invasions can, theoretically, happen almost anywhere at any time and you have no way of knowing what the invader will have equipped. Since there is no way to know when, how, or who, you must simply be prepared. I don't even personally like invasions (in spite of being both my characters being primarily either a Bellbro or a Ratbro) but I can agree with the reason for having them in the game.

To re-iterate, Dark Souls is, in general, about being prepared for anything at any time.

HoosTrax

It's for more than a single area as there are a handful of situations where pure melee is the worst tactic to use. I think this is fine, because the game is designed in understanding of this - it is not unfair or unexpected. Just think about how the attributes are designed... Basically, there is nothing unexpected about using ranged attacks; I don't know whether you are doing this intentionally or not, but you seem to be limiting yourself because of an artifical restriction you've played upon character.

The truth of the matter is, if you're using a strength-based build you have access to crossbows, if you're a dexterity-based build you have access to bows, and if you're a spellcaster of any type you have access to a multitude of ranged attacks. While these ranged attacks may not be very strong, they will at least aggro the enemy to you from a distant.

Keep in mind that these ranged weapons can also be upgraded. While the resources to upgrade weapons are uncommon they are not overly difficult to find across your journey, so it is highly recommended to improve more than one weapon. Also, upgrading a non-primary weapon is in no way redundant or pointless - an extra strike weapon, infused weapon, or ranged weapon can make a huge difference against certain foes.

This sort of adaptability is what I am talking about - being prepared for any situation. I think that's a big reason why they added the invasion mechanic. Invasions can, theoretically, happen almost anywhere at any time and you have no way of knowing what the invader will have equipped. Since there is no way to know when, how, or who, you must simply be prepared. I don't even personally like invasions (in spite of being both my characters being primarily either a Bellbro or a Ratbro) but I can agree with the reason for having them in the game.

To re-iterate, Dark Souls is, in general, about being prepared for anything at any time.
Yeah no. "Adaptability" is only required for a melee character. Zero adaptability is needed for a faith-build. GLS all day long, on every mob and boss, in every area, on NG, NG+ and beyond.

I can "artificially limit" myself perfectly fine to a faith-build without negatively impacting my ability to complete the game. The same is not true of a strength build. You're seeing "balance" where there is none.

Mistel

Banned
I can "artificially limit" myself perfectly fine to a faith-build without negatively impacting my ability to complete the game. The same is not true of a strength build. You're seeing "balance" where there is none.
You can do it pure melee with no ranged weapons it's perfectly viable.

HoosTrax

Is that how you beat Executioner's Chariot Phase 1?

If so, hats off to you.
I'm not sure why using lightning spear would make the skeleton + necro part any harder than it would with another build. The spell has a stun effect, plus the cast time is fast enough for close-up PVE with dragon chime + clear bluestone ring +2. Yes, I only used GLS and SS during the Executioner, including Phase 1. I've beaten him on NG and NG+ (didn't bother on NG+2 because I had gotten both of his boss weapons). SS is a one-shot on the necros. The chariot itself helps keep the skeletons at bay.

You can do it pure melee with no ranged weapons it's perfectly viable.
Point being, certain builds are cakewalk 100% of the time. Melee tends to give people a lot of grief in certain areas.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm not sure why using lightning spear would make the skeleton + necro part any harder than it would with another build. The spell has a stun effect, plus the cast time is fast enough for close-up PVE with dragon chime + clear bluestone ring +2.

Well, for one, it's because you need to be mobile to keep out of the Skeleton stunlock. And two, you wouldn't have... Dragon Chime and Clear Bluestone Ring +2 on a NG playthrough. You wouldn't even have two Lightning Spears yet unless you beelined to the second one in Earthen Peak before looping back for Executioner's Chariot.

You would also run out of Lightning Spears way before you actually reached the boss unless you skipped everything in between the bonfire and the fog door. For some bosses this is practical, but for other ones? It saves on frustration to clear the field instead of trying to blitz your way to the door.

HoosTrax

Well, for one, it's because you need to be mobile to keep out of the stunlock. And two, you wouldn't have... Dragon Chime and Clear Bluestone Ring +2 on a NG playthrough. You wouldn't even have two Lightning Spears yet unless you beelined to the second one in Earthen Peak before looping back for Executioner's Chariot.

You would also run out of Lightning Spears way before you actually reached the boss unless you skipped everything in between the bonfire and the fog door.
I didn't bother with Executioner until the end of NG, at which point I had the Dragon Chime. He's kind of way out there in the middle of nowhere.

You would also run out of Lightning Spears way before you actually reached the boss unless you skipped everything in between the bonfire and the fog door.
Herbs. The BDSM guys and their "friend" don't like you skipping through to the fog door.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I didn't bother with Executioner until the end of NG, at which point I had the Dragon Chime. He's kind of way out there in the middle of nowhere.

"I didn't do this early game boss until I was decked out in late game gear, and thus it is easily done without any melee."

Okay, mate.

HoosTrax

"I didn't do this early game boss until I was decked out in late game gear, and thus it is easily done without any melee."

Okay, mate.
You're putting arbitrary priority on an optional boss off the beaten path that doesn't drop anything worthwhile.

Okay, mate.

RedSwirl

So what's the deal with me being forced to invade people in Pharos?

Anyway, and interesting fight occurred there a while ago. Every time I'm called to invade in that place I'm in the large pool area after the bonfire with the other guy on the floor above taking shots at me. As a 90% melee character this puts me at a huge disadvantage, so I learned to stay in the tunnel on the bottom floor which eventually forces the other guy to come in here after me.

The second guy to do this only poked his head far enough in to throw lightning at me and then run back out. I eventually just followed him since he was on the first floor with me, and I guess my stamina and agility were enough for me to dodge circles around him and the two enemies trying to kill me -- all while in the water. I slashed him down to a chip while he was still trying to throw spells at me. He ran towards the other room with the latter in it with a great head start on me, probably having surmised at this point that I didn't have any projectiles. I switched to my long bow promptly enough to lock on and finish him off.

Ratfriends keep kidnapping you. Join the covenant or do the area offline to avoid that. Now if only I could avoid Belfry invasions while being in the covenant..
I do the belltowers offline too, total waste of time unless all you want is specifically the pvp, I just want to get through the areas for the loot and onwards.

RedSwirl

Well anyway I'm about to head to the Huntsman's Corpse. Judging by what I've seen this is actually the last major path in the game I haven't been to other than Drangleic Castle, and from what I've heard also the first or second you're expected to go through.

I've had to go through the whole game at this point largely without small Titanite and without iron arrows, which I suspect has made things slightly harder than they're supposed to be.

Well anyway I'm about to head to the Huntsman's Corpse. Judging by what I've seen this is actually the last major path in the game I haven't been to other than Drangleic Castle, and from what I've heard also the first or second you're expected to go through.

I've had to go through the whole game at this point largely without small Titanite and without iron arrows, which I suspect has made things slightly harder than they're supposed to be.
Yeah, if you're doing the Copse path last you might find it pretty easy for the most part,

BigAT

Can someone point me in the right direction? I've been playing without a guide so far, but I have finally exhausted every branch I can think of in the world. I've rekindled three of the primal bonfires, having beat
The Rotten, the big spider and the big sword women with the wooden shackles around her hands
. I don't have a clue where to go next though.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I've been playing without a guide so far, but I have finally exhausted every branch I can think of in the world. I've rekindled three of the primal bonfires, having beat . I don't have a clue where to go next though.

Sounds like you need iron in your diet.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I've been playing without a guide so far, but I have finally exhausted every branch I can think of in the world. I've rekindled three of the primal bonfires, having beat . I don't have a clue where to go next though.

Did you talk to that
priestess woman who was above the dragon rider boss near the bonfire in tower of hiede?

If you did, walk from majula to there, you'll
see her on the way, talk to her

Mistel

Banned
Through the rotunda to the copse or if you have 1 million soul memory straight to the shrine of winter if you like.

Yeah no. "Adaptability" is only required for a melee character. Zero adaptability is needed for a faith-build. GLS all day long, on every mob and boss, in every area, on NG, NG+ and beyond.

Hrm. I chose my words poorly.

I meant tactical adaptibility, and not the adaptability attribute that makes rolls a little better.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Oroboro posted video gold. I cant think of a better fate for a hacker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaf7TLecKCU

That is so fantastic.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I've been playing without a guide so far, but I have finally exhausted every branch I can think of in the world. I've rekindled three of the primal bonfires, having beat
The Rotten, the big spider and the big sword women with the wooden shackles around her hands
. I don't have a clue where to go next though.

Go from Majula to that little hole in the wall which leads to Heides Tower of Flame. There should be another option down that staircase.

How much faith do you need to instantly ko someone with 2000+ hp with wrath of god?
I have been one hit koed while wearing full desert sorcerer set, full alone knight set, full smelter demon set.

Aurongel

Is that patch active on PC? I just went through there again and the mages aggro as soon as they pop into rendering range.

Same for me, it's really strange.

...Also Iron Keep doesn't require you to go through Belfrey Sol at all, as with Luna it's a completely optional area. Cry more plz.

Yes it does if you make a dash for the (second?) bonfire over the tiny ledge. Once you're at that bonfire the only way back on the path towards the boss is to go through Belfry Sol. Someone earlier mentioned cheesing the ladder possibly but I don't think that's what you were referring to. Either way, it's not really intentional design so I think it deserves the criticism.

Cry more plz.

Don't start.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
What are the negatives of using an item you don't have the required stat(s) for? I just got the dragon chime but don't gave 50 faith yet. I'm currently using the cleric's sacred chime.

What are the negatives of using an item you don't have the required stat(s) for? I just got the dragon chime but don't gave 50 faith yet. I'm currently using the cleric's sacred chime.
I guess you do less damage?
If you don't have enough stats for weapons you do way less damage. I also noticed if you don't have enough dex, you will use more stamina too.

I'm not sure, but from what I've found it does far less damage and uses a great deal more stamina to use items you're not stated for.

So my guess is any spell you use would be horribly ineffective.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yes it does if you make a dash for the (second?) bonfire over the tiny ledge. Once you're at that bonfire the only way back on the path towards the boss is to go through Belfry Sol. Someone earlier mentioned cheesing the ladder possibly but I don't think that's what you were referring to. Either way, it's not really intentional design so I think it deserves the criticism.

Don't start.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and most of your complaint is actually that the platforming elements (small ledge forcing/making you think you have to traverse a different area, shrine of amana water and low lighting making movement difficult) in certain areas is unfair or badly designed. I'm not sure I agree in the case of Iron Keep still, but Amana absolutely is all about that gimmick. And while I hate it I have to tip my hat to From for the area since it is so difficult and makes even confident players so uncomfortable.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I guess you do less damage?
If you don't have enough stats for weapons you do way less damage. I also noticed if you don't have enough dex, you will use more stamina too.

I'm not sure, but from what I've found it does far less damage and uses a great deal more stamina to use items you're not stated for.

So my guess is any spell you use would be horribly ineffective.

Ah, thanks.

BigAT

Did you talk to that
priestess woman who was above the dragon rider boss near the bonfire in tower of hiede?

If you did, walk from majula to there, you'll
see her on the way, talk to her

That is so fantastic.

Go from Majula to that little hole in the wall which leads to Heides Tower of Flame. There should be another option down that staircase.

Thanks, I had actually been there before but I guess I somehow missed a huge section of the Copse when I went through the first time.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Honestly the Crystal Cave pissed me off more than Shrine of Amana. But that might have been because I was just tired of slowly walking the path and wasting arrows/prism stones only to fall to my death and start all over. Also Seath's bullshit (scripted death that you can't recover from until after a SUPER long slog back and the loss of all my souls was a kick in the balls) and also because I almost never die from falling in Amana now because I farmed it for so long, so I know where alll the safe places to walk are.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

That bonfire isn't intended to be used to progress through Iron Keep, that bonfire is intended to be used for the Belfry.

They don't force you to go through it, it's just that if you choose to take that bonfire you have to also go through Iron Keep again and teleport to your closest Iron Keep bonfire.

Top Bottom