• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Ruuppa

Any good place to farm twinkling titanite without having to use bonfire ascetics? I need tons.

Also: any insight on last dlc's lore? Other two were kinda obvious, but I can't wrap my mind around who the Ivory King might be.

Shrine of Amana priestesses and clerics, the statuelizards in the first DLC also drop them. I think that's all of the normal enemies you can farm them off of, otherwise you need Ascetics.

Any good place to farm twinkling titanite without having to use bonfire ascetics? I need tons.

Also: any insight on last dlc's lore? Other two were kinda obvious, but I can't wrap my mind around who the Ivory King might be.

Soft retcon about the
flexile sentinels origins and the Ivory king dilema to eliminate the chaos fire (another primordial fire attempt to make a new flame)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Shrine of Amana priestesses and clerics, the statuelizards in the first DLC also drop them. I think that's all of the normal enemies you can farm them off of, otherwise you need Ascetics.

The soul golems in Ivory King drop them. But the easier way to farm without dealing with annoying enemies that get worse and worse as you ascetic is the run through dragon's sanctum. It has an ascetic for infinite runs, effigies, dragon bones, rusted coins and boltstones that respawn in addition to 30k in consumable souls on top of the twinkling.

Arjen

Been doing old iron king dlc. And damn, sir alone is kicking my ass. My timing is way off, dude is fucking fast, doesn't help that my uchi seems to do crap damage.

Mistel

Banned
Been doing old iron king dlc. And damn, sir alone is kicking my ass. My timing is way off, dude is fucking fast, doesn't help that my uchi seems to do crap damage.
High slash resistance most likely try with thrust or preferably strike damage against them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It should be the Foyer bonfire, and it won't respawn any bosses.
Awesome, thanks.
Why not just farm the mad warrior and not use any ascetics?
Because I'm not that dumb at math.

Yeah, he's kinda cheap IMO. You need twitch reflex to dodge some of his attacks, and of course, he has other attacks where if you roll early he'll murder you. He's not so bad in NG, but my dex is really suffering in NG+. He's lightning fast in every attack and a couple of slower ones to throw your timing off, he recovers really quickly between each attack so the openings to attack are extremely narrow (and any opening to use Estus is even narrower, he punishes that super easily) and of course he has tons of HP. Oh and he apparently dead angles too, sometimes I'd get hit through a shield at full stamina for no apparent reason. -_-

A strategy that worked really well for me (NG though, haven't tried it in NG+ yet) is to use a maxed out greatshield with the bird ring, and tank his hits and combos (dodge whenever you feel comfortable and block otherwise), and poke safely whenever you have an opening (which is bloody rare). I recommend the Old Knight Greatshield, since it has bleed resistance. Turtling with the Tower shield or another like that will probably cause you to bleed pretty quickly, sadly.

That ring is amazing, though. I tried it on the Fume Knight, and it works wonders. My str took him out first try whereas I struggled so much with my dual whip user and my faith build... think I'll respec my faith to use greatshields and that ring or something. :p

Arjen

Awesome, thanks.

Because I'm not that dumb at math.

Yeah, he's kinda cheap IMO. You need twitch reflex to dodge some of his attacks, and of course, he has other attacks where if you roll early he'll murder you. He's not so bad in NG, but my dex is really suffering in NG+. He's lightning fast in every attack and a couple of slower ones to throw your timing off, he recovers really quickly between each attack so the openings to attack are extremely narrow (and any opening to use Estus is even narrower, he punishes that super easily) and of course he has tons of HP. Oh and he apparently dead angles too, sometimes I'd get hit through a shield at full stamina for no apparent reason. -_-

A strategy that worked really well for me (NG though, haven't tried it in NG+ yet) is to use a maxed out greatshield with the bird ring, and tank his hits and combos (dodge whenever you feel comfortable and block otherwise), and poke safely whenever you have an opening (which is bloody rare). I recommend the Old Knight Greatshield, since it has bleed resistance. Turtling with the Tower shield or another like that will probably cause you to bleed pretty quickly, sadly.

That ring is amazing, though. I tried it on the Fume Knight, and it works wonders. My str took him out first try whereas I struggled so much with my dual whip user and my faith build... think I'll respec my faith to use greatshields and that ring or something. :p

Yep the timing for estus is what killing me. I'll try your greatshield tactic. I had no problems with the fume Knight, got him on my third try.

test_account

XP-39C²
I finished the last DLC (Ivory King) earlier today. I think that is the best of the DS2 DLC packs. I really liked that you could
find NPCs to make the final boss easier. Not just to make it easier, but it made the world feel a bit more alive/dynamic (or what i shall say).

It also felt good to finally complete
the two tigers boss
. I probably tried that boss 50 times or something. And i got so many "someone has used this summon signs" and "summon sign has disappeared" trying to summon help at the begining.

Does anyone know what the
tombs
are that are present in all 3 DLC packs? I was hoping to get some answer to that in the last DLC pack, but i didnt see anything special.

Also, after beating the last boss, i went to
King Vendrick, and he made the Ivory King Crown stronger or something
. Is there anything more to it than that? Or am i done with the game now?

Noupe, imposible for me to beat
the ivory king and his minions
alone, gotta explore more and see what happens.

It also felt good to finally complete
the two tigers boss
. I probably tried that boss 50 times or something. And i got so many "someone has used this summon signs" and "summon sign has disappeared" trying to summon help at the begining.

tombs
are that are present in all 3 DLC packs? I was hoping to get some answer to that in the last DLC pack, but i didnt see anything special.

Also, after beating the last boss, i went to
King Vendrick, and he made the Ivory King Crown stronger or something
. Is there anything more to it than that? Or am i done with the game now?
The death tombs represents the area or the room was tainted by dark energies, in previous DLC it pointed out that areas was some sort abyss chasm or marking the use of dark energies warnings by the child of the dark.

Lore wise about the crowns is suppossed your character soul trascended to be a "King" like the previous kings and Vendrik (he defeat them so he could have their strenght but was retconnet in the DLCs) before him so you can overcome the curse for a while.

In game you get a special buff to always be human and being inmune to the curse while wearing a crown.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
tombs

People who don't own the DLC can place summon signs on them and help people who do own it.

Ah ok, i didnt i didnt know that. Thanks for the info =)
Its a really neat feature. It basically lets you do a demo of the DLC, which is why the updates are always 1GB+ it downloads the DLC for you and buying the DLC gives you the item required to access it solo. Best kind of way to do DLC for games that have co-op imo.
I think is the second one, you have to kill the same rudolph 15 times

Damn, there's like 6 or 7 Reindeer that I've encountered.

Mistel

Banned
what are good poison resist armors?
If you want max natural poison resistance with a set of armor maxed monastery set with a shadow mask. If you don't want those then there's the tattered set with cale boots with any helm.

This is for that sanctum mace ain't it?
Its a really neat feature. It basically lets you do a demo of the DLC, which is why the updates are always 1GB+ it downloads the DLC for you and buying the DLC gives you the item required to access it solo. Best kind of way to do DLC for games that have co-op imo.
Also gives you higher drop rates for dlc items that you can use without getting them via standard means of playing through.

test_account

XP-39C²
Definitelly, i agree. It also makes it easier to summon people (since more people have access to the DLC levels).

The death tombs represents the area or the room was tainted by dark energies, in previous DLC it pointed out that areas was some sort abyss chasm or marking the use of dark energies warnings by the child of the dark.

Lore wise about the crowns is suppossed your character soul trascended to be a "King" like the previous kings and Vendrik (he defeat them so he could have their strenght but was retconnet in the DLCs) before him so you can overcome the curse for a while.

In game you get a special buff to always be human and being inmune to the curse while wearing a crown.
Ah, is that what the buff is? Assuming you mean when
after talking to King Vendrick and the Ivory Crown gets infused?
. I thought it was increased strength, since it has 3 red arrows pointing up icon when using it. Maybe it increase the strength too.

Thanks for the info regarding the tombs and lore :)

Ruuppa

Ah, is that what the buff is? Assuming you mean when
after talking to King Vendrick and the Ivory Crown gets infused?
. I thought it was increased strength, since it has 3 red arrows pointing up icon when using it. Maybe it increase the strength too.

Thanks for the info regarding the tombs and lore :)

The three red arrows is the indicator for the health regen buff, Ring of Restoration and Loyce Shield also give this buff.

Edit: Charred Loyce Shield gives it too. Equip all of them at once and be Wolverine!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I like the look of the Ivory crown for my female mage, but I hate that ugly-ass HP regen aura. :( Gonna stick with the King's Crown for her, Fashion Souls is too important.

Mistel

Banned
I like the look of the Ivory crown for my female mage, but I hate that ugly-ass HP regen aura. :( Gonna stick with the King's Crown for her, Fashion Souls is too important.
The regen effect is weaker than that of ring of restoration which is faster at restoring HP. Crown is 2HP per 3 secs ring is 2HP per 1 sec.

The regen effect is weaker than that of ring of restoration which is faster at restoring HP. Crown is 2HP per 3 secs ring is 2HP per 1 sec.

I would hope so, because I think Ring of Restoration is the only ring that gives gradual HP regen. Meanwhile you have multiple pieces of armour that give the effect. If those were higher the ring would cease to be useful for most people. Imagine you wore that, plus the crown, plus the other items that give HP regen, and popped an Elizabeths mushroom. What is health loss?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If you want max natural poison resistance with a set of armor maxed monastery set with a shadow mask. If you don't want those then there's the tattered set with cale boots with any helm.

This is for that sanctum mace ain't it?

Also gives you higher drop rates for dlc items that you can use without getting them via standard means of playing through.

Yes right now im using the northwarder set cause I have it all maxed. I'm hesitant to start asceticing for those other sets though because I may want to do a ng+ playthrough and I dont half my game to be new game plus 3 or more. btw are there a lot of people on ng+ at max SM that coop? I kinda want to try summoning people for the bosses since I never did that in any of my Souls playthroughs thus far.

Ruuppa

I would hope so, because I think Ring of Restoration is the only ring that gives gradual HP regen. Meanwhile you have multiple pieces of armour that give the effect. If those were higher the ring would cease to be useful for most people. Imagine you wore that, plus the crown, plus the other items that give HP regen, and popped an Elizabeths mushroom. What is health loss?

They do stack though, I just tested it with 2 Charred Loyce Shields, the Crown and the Ring. Not sure if the two Shields stack on each other, but the others do.. Maybe with a normal Loyce and a Charred? The regen is still nothing to write home about, good for downtime healing if you have the time and don't want to waste items but nothing else.

Mistel

Banned
Yes right now im using the northwarder set cause I have it all maxed. I'm hesitant to start asceticing for those other sets though because I may want to do a ng+ playthrough and I dont half my game to be new game plus 3 or more. btw are there a lot of people on ng+ at max SM that coop? I kinda want to try summoning people for the bosses since I never did that in any of my Souls playthroughs thus far.
It's not really that much of a difficulty issue, the tattered with cales boots is your best bet if you don't want to ascetic stuff.

In the second DLC, how do you get rid of the whispering things. Everyone that summons me doesn't have them. The first one brings up fire spouts. THe second one makes the skeleton guys stronger.

In the second DLC, how do you get rid of the whispering things. Everyone that summons me doesn't have them. The first one brings up fire spouts. THe second one makes the skeleton guys stronger.

You should have smelter rods, you get those and you put them in these Ashen Mist statue things, you then get a fragment of some queens soul and the whispering ceases. Be sure to save 4 rods though.

neoism

lol man the third king was insane what a fight.. beat him on the second try.. had all 4 knights and two bros.. one was some crazy guy with some crazy shit on his mic lol meme character for sure but he was a total boss.. also fire surprisingly really hurts the boss and the knights... Shame all of the dlc armors aren't that great well most like not farm those 50 souls lol not worth it.. the armor doesn't look good at all. Overall my fav dlc was the second and the first one.... I still haven't beat the two dogs... but I my just have fun(lol) with the Rudolf enemies until I despawn them and then try the boss... Also MAN Venddick on NG++ -__- man do you have to fucking hug his leg like a mofo took me 10 tries.. :/

O lawd it's getting steamy in here.

Something the matter?

I wonder if they're going to d more DLC. Dark Souls 2 is one of the few games where I actually want DLC, it's odd since I'm usually opposed to it.

I think they are done with dlc for this game. On to the next project. Probably Dark Souls 3. Expect it in 2 yrs. From has an incredibly efficient development pipeline now and cranking out content.

Is there any other developer pushing out as high of quality content at the rate these guys do? I don't think so. (Graphics downgradeton besides)

onken

Man that foul queen whatever her name is was a lot harder on NG+ than I thought it would be. Always ended up summoning that big metal guy with the club chime thing. Even if you kill him she just summons him again! Just ended up ignoring him in the end and getting in quick shots to her when I could. Though I still had to wait until an attempt where she summoned skeletons instead to actually beat her.

On the other hand Sinh was a piece of cake. Ditched the shield for 51% burden (not like I was going to block anything anyway) and used my lightning Greatsword to chop that fucker's tail off. So good.

Top Bottom