• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

ilium

But why? I mean I never invaded someone with cracked red eye orb and I've killed only 3 NPCs. I'm pretty sure it's related to the DLC, probably because I killed retainers before speaking to Alsanna.

Happened to me as well, but no idea what caused it. Gotta be a bug in the DLC somewhere...

Well, I tried helping people with the Ivory King as a phantom in order to get Loyce souls and it just wasn't happening. One person picked up my sign in about 30 minutes of waiting and then I didn't realise I had the wrong rings equipped and I whiffed my first roll and died immediately. After that it was another 20 minutes of waiting and then Steam kicked me offline for some reason.

I don't think I'll bother. Though the Ivory King set looks really cool I think it's too heavy for me to consider it in any build.

So, does anything happens once you have the 3 crowns ?

I just finished the DLC, I talked to Vendrick and got a very brief cutscene, is that all there is ? I know I shouldn't have but I was expecting an actual ending to the game this time... Am I missing something ?

Thats all, DLC dont change the outcome sadly.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Ok odd question...

Is there a way to customize the button map on a controller? I swear I had changed my jump button at some point but I can't remember how.

I have 2 achieves left in this damn game..hehe

I just changed my stats to have 99 vig/end to see what it did, in case you wonder why it is set that way.

Csd1dLw.jpg

But why? I mean I never invaded someone with cracked red eye orb and I've killed only 3 NPCs. I'm pretty sure it's related to the DLC, probably because I killed retainers before speaking to Alsanna.

There's a bug in the DLC that increases peoples sin level. From is looking to patch it, and hopefully reset sin level to what it was before the DLC.

They should've named them the "Freaking Outskirts" or something worse. Just visited the area thinking it couldn't be that bad... but I still need to kill those guys... argh %$&$@#"$%$#%&$/&!!!!!

I suppose I'll try tomorrow since the NPCs are not helping at all. I hope fromsoft makes those multiplayer areas easier once the number of players online decrease, otherwise I don't think I'd be able to beat those bosses again in the future (not that I'd like to even try that).

It's cool I don't even need to use human effigies again. Tell me the effect of wearing a crown will be there once I start NG+. BTW, what items will I loose once I start NG+?, I'll try NG+ once I'm done with this area.

No, you lose it when you enter a NG cycle. You basically lose all keys, and items related to story progression. The one item you don't lose that's useful is the
Petrified Dragon Egg, you'll keep that and next time your at Dragon Erie it won't be on the pedestal.
I don't think you lose anything else.

How long did it take to farm the Loyce Souls? It is slow going for me. I get 1 soul in 2 out of 3 summons. This is with the Gold Serpent ring and the Symbol of Avarice equipped. I am however swimming in Charred Loyce gear.
It took me very little time, after maybe 20 summons I had more than enough. Some of these summons lasted mere seconds because hosts are scrubtillians. One guy backed up off the cliff :/. Anyways I have a few spare ones, although, I have 18M SM, NG+ and I'm on Steam. If you fit all three I can give you mine.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
How is the most recent expansion?

I beat the previous 2 really fast, and I am not sure I want to drop $10 for another quick expansion. Maybe will wait till it is on sale.

Still getting through the dlc, freed 3 knights and hit the outskirts.

Mah face when i meet the asset reuse boss

Gods, what a crapfest this dlc was.

Also fuck whoever designed those bunnies. "hey guys, remember wheel skeleton? let's make it WORSE".

smdh

What was the deal with the white phantom lancer? Dude aggroed me when i swapped weapons.

I beat the previous 2 really fast, and I am not sure I want to drop $10 for another quick expansion. Maybe will wait till it is on sale.

It's pretty lengthy. There's A LOT of places to go and explore. Really nice rings, head piece, and other armour. With the exception of one area(which is optional) it's really well done, the bosses are decent, i prefer the ones from the second DLC though.
Oh, booooo! I thought the crown buff was OP, but it's really not that great after all. Good for PvPing as host I suppose, but that's it.
Yeah. Thing is you need to get the three Crowns from the NG cycle you're currently in, Vendricks you don't have to re-get, but the other three you do. It's super useful against Nashandra, saves you a ring slot instead of using ring of binding.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They're worse than the DkS2 bonewheels but not the DkS1. But that might be because the DkS1 always come in nasty groups. I dunno, I found their dash very easy to avoid and the one time it did hit me, it didn't drain my HP the way the DkS1 bonewheels did. The spikes hurting you just by being near is a bit annoying, though. But they die pretty fast too.

That was also the case with the bonewheels.

Thing is, you can melee the bonewheels without taking damage. Deathbunnies? crapshoot.

Also since they're the only enemy in the game that behaves like this, and you first meet them in a group of 3, chillaxin' chewing on a corpse, you can just run up to them, press r1, kill all three in one fell swoop and die at the same time.

Guess how i found that out.

I was trying a more Dark Souls 1-esque cautious strategy against Fume Knight because I was tired of my typical strategy (circle bosses at close range and simply roll through their attacks), and having no luck. Then I saw Lobos beat Fume Knight on New Game +2 by, guess what, repeatedly rolling straight into him while the boss fumbled around. This goddamn game.

joe2187

Banned
I want the indictment system back.

Invasions just arent the same without that "You were indicted" message popping after a succesful kill

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I disagree. I generally indicted invaders I liked because I figured they liked PvP and I wanted to encourage the poor lonely blue covenant, and I didn't indict those asshole trolls (like those who invade newbies in the Burg with maxed out gear to one-shot them). But, for the most time, people wouldn't understand, they'd think I indicted if I was mad at losing, etc. It's basically a "sending the wrong signal" kind of thing because everyone interpreted indictments differently. So yeah, I don't miss it, it just adds confusion. ^^

Mistel

Banned
I want the indictment system back.

Invasions just arent the same without that "You were indicted" message popping after a succesful kill
Mechanics wise it's automated in this one once the 10 sin threshold is past if done solely via red eye orbs. Indictment is a bit iffy as it counts any death for it to activate which to me seems a bit strange of a way to do it, instead of making it solely function based on invader killing the host.

Sothpaw

It is easily the best of the three. Optional area was pretty bad, but it is a small part of the package and is doable once you despawn the reindeer.

How long did it take to farm the Loyce Souls? It is slow going for me. I get 1 soul in 2 out of 3 summons. This is with the Gold Serpent ring and the Symbol of Avarice equipped. I am however swimming in Charred Loyce gear.

Honestly didn't take horribly long. Maybe 3 hours total, but not sure. There were times when I'd get 3-4 souls per summon, and it was rare to not get any unless the host died quickly.

My setup: Wear Gold Serpent +2, Symbol of Avarice, and Prisoner's Tatters chest piece. Then pop a Rusted Coin for increased luck as soon as we dropped into the fight. Seemed to work pretty well.

How do i get the special / secret effect in the crowns?
The one that makes me always human as long as i am wearing them?

Finished all the DLCs on my NG+ (where i was playing), and also killed Vendrick and got his crown (now i have 2 of them)... saw the cutscene, but nothing changed on the crowns description...

Is it normal? Do i have to do something else?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How do i get the special / secret effect in the crowns?

Finished all the DLCs on my NG+ (where i was playing), and also killed Vendrick and got his crown (now i have 2 of them)... saw the cutscene, but nothing changed on the crowns description...

Is it normal? Do i have to do something else?
If you had all 4 crowns in your inventory (not stashed, but carrying them) and got the cut scene, you got the effect, even if the item descriptions didn't change.

For me: Ivory King > Iron King > Sunken King, with Iron only slightly behind Ivory. But they would all be my "top 3 areas of DaS2."

My character was NG3+ for all DLCs so they were a lot more challenging/time consuming than just an NG playthrough would have been. I also really enjoyed co-op which added a few hours to each one. If you just want to bust through it on NG, it probably wouldn't take very long (~5 hrs).

I beat Fume Knight. Had to turn down my video settings to dodge effectively because the fire and ash are too demanding on this laptop. Died in
Iron King's Memory
, but then made the run to my souls and then on to the boss with no damage, and didn't feel like fighting him. Looks cool, but after that Fume Knight asshole I don't feel like doing more bosses.

Definitely less enjoyable than Sunken King for me, even if What's-her-face in Sunken King was a lame boss.

Mistel

Banned
I beat Fume Knight. Had to turn down my video settings to dodge effectively because the fire and ash are too demanding on this laptop. Died in
Iron King's Memory
, but then made the run to my souls and then on to the boss with no damage, and didn't feel like fighting him. Looks cool, but after that Fume Knight asshole I don't feel like doing more bosses.

Definitely less enjoyable than Sunken King for me, even if What's-her-face in Sunken King was a lame boss.
There's not much you miss but not doing Alonne or magical smelter.

Sothpaw

Iron King's Memory

I despawned all of the mobs on the way to that boss then summoned two npc's to beat him. I really thought the third DLC was a huge improvement over the first two.

No, you lose it when you enter a NG cycle. You basically lose all keys, and items related to story progression. The one item you don't lose that's useful is the
Petrified Dragon Egg, you'll keep that and next time your at Dragon Erie it won't be on the pedestal.
I don't think you lose anything else. .

That's BS... why would they do that?... Unless, they are just trying to show to us that we in fact broke the cycle?

neoism

Ok odd question...

Is there a way to customize the button map on a controller? I swear I had changed my jump button at some point but I can't remember how.

I have 2 achieves left in this damn game..hehe

I just changed my stats to have 99 vig/end to see what it did, in case you wonder why it is set that way.

Csd1dLw.jpg

SMFH wow at the souls I wasted lol I should be lvl 500 or something..
failfish.png

Mistel

Banned
SMFH wow at the souls I wasted lol I should be lvl 500 or something..
failfish.png
By that point you're looking at max ATT, INT/FTH, STR, VIG etc havel mages as by that point you can literally tank pretty much everything in PvE, wear the heaviest equipment with limited penalties and that's pretty much it really.

strafer

Now I'm rocking Velstadts armor and mace.

Also, the part after in the castle
were you stick the key weapon into the guy hanging on the door and you take the elevator down again a lady starts to hymn that song really loud, and I'm wearing headphones, that freaked me the fuck out.

Holy cow at the reworked
Bed of Chaos
. My sorcerer cant do nothing against the mobs

This DLC is nothing more than contradictions its so hard for me to play it

Still getting through the dlc, freed 3 knights and hit the outskirts.

Mah face when i meet the asset reuse boss

Gods, what a crapfest this dlc was.

Also fuck whoever designed those bunnies. "hey guys, remember wheel skeleton? let's make it WORSE".

smdh

They didnt even tried to animated the boss, just a texture

Honestly didn't take horribly long. Maybe 3 hours total, but not sure. There were times when I'd get 3-4 souls per summon, and it was rare to not get any unless the host died quickly.

My setup: Wear Gold Serpent +2, Symbol of Avarice, and Prisoner's Tatters chest piece. Then pop a Rusted Coin for increased luck as soon as we dropped into the fight. Seemed to work pretty well.

Ok, i will keep going. Forgot about prisoner tats. This is a wierd grinding method for a Souls game, but I guess From wanted to ensure lots of coop partners were available.

Mistel

Banned
Also, the part after in the castle
were you stick the key weapon into the guy hanging on the door and you take the elevator down again a lady starts to hymn that song really loud, and I'm wearing headphones, that freaked me the fuck out.
Embedded is some sort of BDSM deviant who is waiting for you to thrust a specific key into his bosom. Slave to his desires and all that.

neoism

By that point you're looking at max ATT, INT/FTH, STR, VIG etc havel mages as by that point you can literally tank pretty much everything in PvE, wear the heaviest equipment with limited penalties and that's pretty much it really.

yeah but at least I wouldn't have to vessal as much lol I'm SM 24mil lol I just wasted soo many on my first play-through... I can do like 4 stats to 50+ at sl264.. still a waste. Also watching streamers its really insane how easy NG is lol enemies have no hp... is NG+ the biggest leap in diff or is it NG++ I'ma do that after this last dlc to get all of the steam achievements.

Top Bottom