• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I have seen speedrunners make short work of her before a summon really had a chance. Using a brightbug with a glass cannon build and they were taking like 1/5 of her health off per hit.

Except they do that to nearly every boss by using brightbugs, resin and a full compliment of max damage rings.

Mistel

Banned
Uchi also has ridiculous counter modifier, which can often put it over Drangleic in DPS.
Even so it's a very marginal differeance an uchi at 50/50 counters for ~ 516 with an AR of 344. Drangleic sword at 50/50 counters ~ 502 with an AR of 418. Grand lance wipes the floor with the pair boasting ~ 730 counter damage with an AR of 456.

Ruuppa

Even so it's a very marginal differeance an uchi at 50/50 counters for ~ 516 with an AR of 344. Drangleic sword at 50/50 counters ~ 502 with an AR of 418. Grand lance wipes the floor with the pair boasting ~ 730 counter damage with an AR of 456.

AR-wise yes, but DPS-wise.. I'd have to test stuff out, but Drangleic Sword uses more stamina and is somewhat slower to swing as well, so Uchi might be more economical in that regard. Not sure how Grand Lance fits there, I've always found the lance-moveset to be too cumbersome to use them for extended periods of time.

Still marginal though, so use whatever you fancy the most.

Wait, are you still summoned if you are not in the bellfry?

I think the farthest I've been summoned when having the ring on is,like, the bonfire just before Luna.

Yeah I'm getting summoned from all over the place. I got summoned to the Luna tower three times in a row without a break in between while I was going through Harvest Valley.

elohel

What are your favorite weapons from the dlc?

Which weapon is your current favorite?

mine is still black knight halberd or poison club +10 and poison morning star +10 power stanced lol

Ruuppa

mine is still black knight halberd or poison club +10 and poison morning star +10 power stanced lol

Loyce Greatsword is a sweet piece of kit, but it's very much in the late-game/NG+ and onwards.

My favourites were Spears, but it seems their attackspeed was nerfed.. Now I'm rocking the Longsword and loving it.

ugoo18

Finished the main bosses of the 3rd DLC, do the
Cat twin rehash
give anything worth the travel?

Because i'm just about burned out on DS2 as a whole and i don't think i can be bothered killing them for something possibly worthless, not sure i can be bothered looking at all the chests that were
unfrozen
either.

The fuck.

I was never summoned outside the bastille for the Luna -and always very close to Luna-, and the second half of the Iron Keep for Sol.

The fuck.

I think you have to be human too. Unless you were already human then I dunno. I was only in it for a couple invasions till I got bored of ganking and murdered mad warrior a lot.

Ruuppa

Finished the main bosses of the 3rd DLC, do the
Cat twin rehash
give anything worth the travel?

Because i'm just about burned out on DS2 as a whole and i don't think i can be bothered killing them for something possibly worthless, not sure i can be bothered looking at all the chests that were
unfrozen
either.

There is a neat ring for invasions and co-op in the Outskirts, but the bosses themselves only give
their souls. You can make a good greatsword and a neat but ultimately meh shield from them. The shield and sword that the Charred Loyce Knights drop are arguably better.
So nothing extra special.

Edit:
The Loyce Greatsword does do only physical damage, and gains an S scaling in Dex, so it's probably better than the Charred version. Thought it had physical/magic split when I wrote the above. Even with that, it's still E/S scaling, so the Charred might outperform it still with it's C/B with a Fire scaling of C.. I need some sleep.

ugoo18

There is a neat ring for invasions and co-op in the Outskirts, but the bosses themselves only give
their souls. You can make a good greatsword and a neat but ultimately meh shield from them. The shield and sword that the Charred Loyce Knights drop are arguably better.
So nothing extra special.

Edit:
The Loyce Greatsword does do only physical damage, and gains an S scaling in Dex, so it's probably better than the Charred version. Thought it had physical/magic split when I wrote the above. Even with that, it's still E/S scaling, so the Charred might outperform it still with it's C/B with a Fire scaling of C.. I need some sleep.

Hmmm and the 3rd DLC is the last support for DS2 right?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Something really weird happened with my friend tonight. We were in the Ivory King DLC, near the Garrison bonfire, right as the Hexer invades. I was a shade and he was host. I poisoned the hexer, but I died to the porcupines. My friend ran away to get the Lower Garrison bonfire, and somehow he could rest. He asked me on skype, "did you kill the invader?". I said he was poisoned, so he probably died, and asked him if he saw the "invader banished" message. He said he didn't. So whatever right. I warp to the garrison bonfire and drop again for him. While we explore and kill Maldron and get the lever and stuff, we get invaded again, by Hexer Nicolai again.

Guess he didn't die after all, lol. But I've never seen this happen before. Normally if an invader is present, you can't rest at a bonfire, and they don't just go away.

Orrrr... just occurred to me as I typed this. Could the NPC invader have "expired" his time limit?

Mistel

Banned
Guess he didn't die after all, lol. But I've never seen this happen before. Normally if an invader is present, you can't rest at a bonfire, and they don't just go away.
If the host exited the area he returns to his world. It's distance based past a certain point he just leaves.

I'm at a bit of a loss. I now have all four crowns in my possession, talked to
Vendrick in King's Memory
, saw a cutscene and then got transported back.

Now I'm not sure what my reward is for getting all four crowns? Is there one?

Hypron

The bone fist. The move set looks absolutely awesome and it does significant damage for a fist weapon. The hadōken does about 1000 damage.

J-Rod

Waited for all the dlc to come out to play again, but am getting my ass kicked from not playing in 4 months. What's the consensus of flynn's ring? Worth a permanent slot for melee?

Mistel

Banned
Waited for all the dlc to come out to play again, but am getting my ass kicked from not playing in 4 months. What's the consensus of flynn's ring? Worth a permanent slot for melee?
If you've got a low VIT build set up and don't mind either skimping on some armor if you're using something heavy or have fast weapons already it's pretty decent.

burnfout

Agreed completely. First time I had to fight him with one healing statue left, so I had to lure him on one side of the arena constantly. He's hard enough without the healing statues, FFS, why would they give the last wedge after you don't need it anymore? Stupid.

Except the game pretty much tells you it's a good idea to destroy those idols, in fact, that it's necessary to destroy them all.

Still no reason to give the last wedge after the last boss. Hell, my friend didn't explore as well as I did and missed one of the statues, so he destroyed every idol around the boss area. That's just asinine.
At least they fixed the exploration in the third DLC, as someone said.

As someone who just started the first DLC, could you please explain what this is about?Something in the second DLC? Can I screw myself over?

Mistel

Banned
As someone who just started the first DLC, could you please explain what this is about?Something in the second DLC? Can I screw myself over?
There is 11 ashen idols present within the second dlc which can only be destroyed via smelter wedges present within the dlc. If you explore and destroy them all without getting to the first boss worse case scenario is the 4 around healing during the fight then descending in magnitude how many are left.

You can still kill the boss with the 4 ashen idols that heal him present but its a bit of a pain.

I just co-op'd my way through the third DLC with a random guy I met while doing PVP on the Iron Keep bridge. It was the first time I've done co-op that wasn't just bosses and it was super fun! I should try putting my sign down near more bonfires more often.

ilium

I just co-op'd my way through the third DLC with a random guy I met while doing PVP on the Iron Keep bridge. It was the first time I've done co-op that wasn't just bosses and it was super fun! I should try putting my sign down near more bonfires more often.

Yeah, i enjoy helping people within a level a lot more than just at a boss.

elohel

That sounds really nice lol

burnfout

There is 11 ashen idols present within the second dlc which can only be destroyed via smelter wedges present within the dlc. If you explore and destroy them all without getting to the first boss worse case scenario is the 4 around healing during the fight then descending in magnitude how many are left.

You can still kill the boss with the 4 ashen idols that heal him present but its a bit of a pain.

Alright thanks! I'll keep 4 smelter wedges on me I guess.

Played through the third DLC and it's my least favorite by far. It felt quite a bit shorter than the first two and the bosses were not as good. The Ivory King was basically a re-skinned Sir Alonne. I only played through the frigid outskirts as a summon because of the 50 Loyce soul requirement to get there. That's just ridiculous, I got like one soul for killing six of them. Make it 10 or 15 and could tolerate it but 50 is too much. Grinding is the last thing I want in a Souls game, that alone puts the Ivory King DLC at the bottom for me.

Mistel

Banned
Alright thanks! I'll keep 4 smelter wedges on me I guess.
You get 4 first off then another 6 later on last one after that boss.
Played through the third DLC and it's my least favorite by far. It felt quite a bit shorter than the first two and the bosses were not as good. The Ivory King was basically a re-skinned Sir Alonne. I only played through the frigid outskirts as a summon because of the 50 Loyce soul requirement to get there. That's just ridiculous, I got like one soul for killing six of them. Make it 10 or 15 and could tolerate it but 50 is too much. Grinding is the last thing I want in a Souls game, that alone puts the Ivory King DLC at the bottom for me.
There's no loyce soul requirement to get to the frigid outskirts you just slid down in the coffin right next to the expulsion chamber bonfire. Loyce souls you give to Alsanna for armor and her soul if you don't want to kill her.

The intended path is so short to finish, more than the iron king dlc

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Sorry but the Outskirts have no such requirement, maybe explore more? And dont see how Ivory King is like Alonne at all. They both have swords and charge attacks?

Mistel

Banned
The intended path is so short to finish, more than the iron king dlc
Iron king and sunken had quite a bit of a way to go before you actually got really anywhere, unlike ivory which was quite short of a trip as you can't go anywhere really until after the first boss.

Yeah, i enjoy helping people within a level a lot more than just at a boss.

Yeah, I love co-oping and showing people certain areas of the level before the boss fight. Like in Earthen Peak,
I showed people the secret bonfire, the petrified something, the lighting spear, and that trapped chest I forgot the contents of. You also wouldn't believe the number of people who didn't burn the windmill and I had to get them to come all the way back and burn it.

Iron king and sunken had quite a bit of a way to go before you actually got really anywhere, unlike ivory which was quite short of a trip as you can't go anywhere really until after the first boss.

I kinda liked and hated that. I liked exploring a lot, but at the same time was really anxious about fighting the boss. Polar opposites combined heh.

Mistel

Banned
I kinda liked and hated that. I liked exploring a lot, but at the same time was really anxious about fighting the boss. Polar opposites combined heh.
Ivory king did it quite well where you could explore and find places other the whole ashen idol thing. Sunken kinda lost that with the whole boss placement thing and not really much to explore. Optional areas for both weren't too great.

You get 4 first off then another 6 later on last one after that boss.

There's no loyce soul requirement to get to the frigid outskirts you just slid down in the coffin right next to the expulsion chamber bonfire. Loyce souls you give to Alsanna for armor and her soul if you don't want to kill her.

I guess I need to work on my Wiki reading skills. ;-) I didn't find the entrance to the area and looked it up and the way I understood it was that you need to have talked to Alsanna to gain access to the key to the outskirts and the path to Alsanna only opens up with 50 souls. I played through the area in co op and it was basically an empty field with a few items and enemies and a copy paste boss, from the same DLC at that, (recolored Alvana (?) x2) at the end. I found it boring, so I have no desire to play through it anyway.

The DLC just felt lazy to me compared to the first two. The area up to the final boss was too short and they tried to pad the playtime by making you go through it twice to open the chests. And the optional area is an empty field with a reskinned boss from the same DLC.

Mistel

Banned
I guess I need to work on my Wiki reading skills. ;-) I didn't find the entrance to the area and looked it up and the way I understood it was that you need to have talked to Alsanna to gain access to the key to the outskirts and the path to Alsanna only opens up with 50 souls. I played through the area in co op and it was basically an empty field with a few items and enemies and a copy paste boss, from the same DLC at that, (recolored Alvana (?) x2) at the end. I found it boring, so I have no desire to play through it anyway.

The DLC just felt lazy to me compared to the first two. The area up to the final boss was too short and they tried to pad the playtime by making you go through it twice to open the chests. And the optional area is an empty field with a reskinned boss from the same DLC.
You just stand on the raised plinthy bit in front of her and she talks to you. So the 50 requirement is something you've confused with something else I think. The boss of the area is two of the same royal pets you fought for the first boss.

chunk3rvd

With the crazy SM I'm racking up farming loyce souls I figured I may as well take my hexer from 30/30 to 40/40. Since this puts me in the range of soul spear and just shy of great lightning spear I'm guessing I should look at some additional catalysts to supplement my Dark Sunset Staff +10? What's the best for pure INT at 40+? I already have a Lightning Priest's Chime +10 since I was running a faith build before using a soul vessel so I should stick with that for miracles unless I make it to 50 and switch to the Dragon Chime?

Mistel

Banned
With the crazy SM I'm racking up farming loyce souls I figured I may as well take my hexer from 30/30 to 40/40. Since this puts me in the range of soul spear and just shy of great lightning spear I'm guessing I should look at some additional catalysts to supplement my Dark Sunset Staff +10? What's the best for pure INT at 40+? I already have a Lightning Priest's Chime +10 since I was running a faith build before using a soul vessel so I should stick with that for miracles unless I make it to 50 and switch to the Dragon Chime?
Just go 60/60 for the dark BNS and open up more options with a dark cathias charm for chime hexes. Pick up the black witch staff if you want all options open to you.

But it's only "badly designed" because you couldn't be arsed to explore it properly...

I know, shame on me. I also only found the two of the three knights that assist you during the boss fight after I'd already beaten it, I guess I was in a hurry to finish. ;-)
The outskirts area itself is badly and lazily done though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, the Outskirts do suck. Though honestly, I found them kinda fun in coop... >_> There's something unique and quite atmospheric about the whole place. But, the area, and especially the boss, were clearly designed with coop in mind, and that bothers me because while I enjoy the coop I always try to solo everything too.

chunk3rvd

Just go 60/60 for the dark BNS and open up more options with a dark cathias charm for chime hexes. Pick up the black witch staff if you want all options open to you.

I'm tempted to go 60/60 but it will push my SL well above 250 :/ I already have a dark cathias chime but wouldn't I be better with pure sorcery/miracle catalysts if I'm casting sorecery/miracles due to my staff and chime being dark infused? Haven't found myself using cathias chime yet as I don't find the soul cost and reduced casts of the relevant hexes to be worth the souls the neglible increase in damage

Mistel

Banned
I'm tempted to go 60/60 but it will push my SL well above 250 :/ I already have a dark cathias chime but wouldn't I be better with pure sorcery/miracle catalysts if I'm casting sorecery/miracles due to my staff and chime being dark infused? Haven't found myself using cathias chime yet as I don't find the soul cost and reduced casts of the relevant hexes to be worth the souls the neglible increase in damage
And it's all SM based you're only crippling yourself unless that's your thing not much point to stick around that. Cathia's only does hexes and its one of the best charms for it.

If I find an area badly designed/lazy, I have no problem checking a Wiki, especially if it's only optional. *shrugs*

Not doing a blind playthrough?! Shame on you...SHAME! Nah, to each their own.

I tried to minimize help as much as possible with DaS 2, since with DaS 1 my friends ruined huge parts of it for me, and where to go. This time I had minimal direction, and I must say it was a lot more enjoyable. Finally finding out where to go after running around in circles for hours was a truly amazing feeling.

UrbanRats

So being in the process to put down the game, in preparation for BloodBorne, i figured i would do a final fashion souls recap on what has essentially become my main, simply because she was the most fun to play as:

ibzm7MHV3Dnf08.png

--
Funny thing is, with a name like that, people summoning often thought i was an NPC, and i had to spaz around to convince them otherwise.

Top Bottom